Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

No, but I'm not using Chrome, either.
If you're on Firefox, there's a discontinued addon called OptimizeGoogle that can still be used for this. You'd have to paste sites you want to block manually in the addon's settings page, so it's not really all that convenient, but it's the only thing of the kind that still sort of works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're on Firefox, there's a discontinued addon called OptimizeGoogle that can still be used for this. You'd have to paste sites you want to block manually in the addon's settings page, so it's not really all that convenient, but it's the only thing of the kind that still sort of works.
Even that wouldn't do me any good, as I want to block sites across all of my devices. I want to block sites from showing up in search as well as on news results and suggested articles in Google Now. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Thanks for the help, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Any idea where I can find metal pins like this one (or similar):

This came from one of those flat pack DVD shelves. I need them for another project. Probably about 200 or so. I have no means of cutting my own from raw stock.

e: Looks to be about 3/16" in diameter.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 8, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Any idea where I can find metal pins like this one (or similar):

This came from one of those flat pack DVD shelves. I need them for another project. Probably about 200 or so. I have no means of cutting my own from raw stock.

e: Looks to be about 3/16" in diameter.

Steel dowel pins. Home improvement store or online.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bovril Delight posted:

Steel dowel pins. Home improvement store or online.

I knew they had to have a name. Thanks.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Can someone who speaks russian tell me what this lady is singing/saying?
https://soundcloud.com/aneurythm/russvoxl/s-hOwq4

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Is there a specific name for the spandex gitch that the dancing girls wear in The Running Man?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is "hasa diga eebowai" a real phrase or some Parker and Stone made up?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Can animals laugh or have a sense of humour? If a dog saw a cat slip on a banana skin would it be entertained?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Is there a specific name for the spandex gitch that the dancing girls wear in The Running Man?

As far as I know they're just called leotards.

Does anyone here speak Greek? The secret santa recipient my fiance got is a woman who moved here from Greece 2 years ago, so we thought it would be nice to make an etched glass art piece that says "Home" in Greek, meaning both her current place of residence as well as referring to Greece. I've been able to look up individual words for "house" and "homeland" but I'm not sure if there even exists a word that would have the dual meaning that we're looking for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Crankit posted:

Can animals laugh or have a sense of humour? If a dog saw a cat slip on a banana skin would it be entertained?

I remember reading in Discover or Scientific American a couple years back that some higher primates were shown to possibly have a sense of humor -- chimps, maybe apes? -- but that it was too complex for cats and dogs and the like.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Crankit posted:

I saw a documentary on chimpanzees that showed a pair of chimps mimicking the limpy gait of one of their fellow chimps, but only when he wasn't looking. In other words, chimps can take the piss out of each other.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

regulargonzalez posted:

I remember reading in Discover or Scientific American a couple years back that some higher primates were shown to possibly have a sense of humor -- chimps, maybe apes? -- but that it was too complex for cats and dogs and the like.

I think it's been established that other great apes laugh and sometimes go out of their way to do things to make themselves or others laugh. Not sure where I read/saw that, or how true it is, though.

I also remember reading in a book I once had about dogs that they do have a sense of humor, but the author's definition of it was kind of wishy-washy. Basically they said a dog will do things repeatedly if they realize it amuses their master and makes them happy, but considering the nature of dogs that's likely more of a loyalty/obedience thing than it is actually what people would consider a sense of humor. I doubt they have a grasp on what humor or laughter really is.

EDIT:

Baron Bifford posted:

I saw a documentary on chimpanzees that showed a pair of chimps mimicking the limpy gait of one of their fellow chimps, but only when he wasn't looking. In other words, chimps can take the piss out of each other.

Hahaha I really have to see this. Chimps are awesome.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Things like this always make me wonder about emotions, experiences, whatever you want to call it that we're not sophisticated to understand.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I studied this a bunch in school, and yep, there's been a lot of research done on emotions in intelligent mammals and they definitely understand humor. The larger primates (chimps, gorillas, orangutans) are known to play practical jokes on each other and then laugh about it (so the whole banana slip thing is actually not at all inaccurate). Koko the gorilla famously made jokes with her trainers – they'd ask her to point to her nose but instead she'd point to her chin or something and sign "funny gorilla."

I remember being very :unsmith: about all this until I learned that this is one of the reasons why these mammals are so difficult to keep in captivity. They have an emotional range nearing or equal to that of a human, and sitting in a glass tank all day makes them terribly depressed. A lot of the primates you see in zoos are actually on antidepressants which is :smith:

e: Also humor is a pretty complex emotion, but dogs and cats still feel a lot of basic emotions like happiness, sadness, shame, etc. They also have a tremendous ability to empathize, which is why they make great therapeutic pets.

kedo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 8, 2013

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

kedo posted:

I studied this a bunch in school, and yep, there's been a lot of research done on emotions in intelligent mammals and they definitely understand humor. The larger primates (chimps, gorillas, orangutans) are known to play practical jokes on each other and then laugh about it (so the whole banana slip thing is actually not at all inaccurate). Koko the gorilla famously made jokes with her trainers – they'd ask her to point to her nose but instead she'd point to her chin or something and sign "funny gorilla."

I remember being very :unsmith: about all this until I learned that this is one of the reasons why these mammals are so difficult to keep in captivity. They have an emotional range nearing or equal to that of a human, and sitting in a glass tank all day makes them terribly depressed. A lot of the primates you see in zoos are actually on antidepressants which is :smith:

e: Also humor is a pretty complex emotion, but dogs and cats still feel a lot of basic emotions like happiness, sadness, shame, etc. They also have a tremendous ability to empathize, which is why they make great therapeutic pets.

Do dogs/cats feel boredom?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

User-Friendly posted:

they do yawn a lot

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

Yup. IIRC a lot of the things house cats do are byproducts of boredom... I seem to remember hearing awhile back that cats clean themselves way more often than cats in the wild, and the thought is it's a "well there's nothing else to do so guess I'll take another bath," type deal.

Granted I didn't actually study that, I think I just heard that on the radio or something.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

User-Friendly posted:

Absolutely. Anyone who has an indoor cat can tell you how the cat sometimes goes insane and runs around like a maniac at top speed, then jumping on poo poo at random, jumping off, just behaving weirdly. I read somewhere that the thinking is they are bored and need stimulation when they do that.
Playing 'feather on a stick' with your cat helps with their boredom.

It's worth noting that cats are far less domesticated than dogs. They've been pets for centuries but for almost that entire span they were kept at least partially, if not entirely, outdoors. Cat litter wasn't invented until the late 40s and so out of necessity they were mostly outdoor pets, so the concept of an entirely indoor cat (and the notion of breeding for a temperment that is happy to stay inside 100% of the time) is only a few decades old.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 8, 2013

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Need help purchasing airline tickets internationally. The travel subforum is pretty dead and outdated. I did some googling but most sites use the same search. Any tips?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Taeke posted:

Things like this always make me wonder about emotions, experiences, whatever you want to call it that we're not sophisticated to understand.

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean it's not happening. I think all animals have emotions and language. We just don't have the capacity to understand it, just like they don't really have the capacity to understand ours. We also are very hesitant to allow ourselves to believe that animals can be so "human". People don't want to believe animals are so much like "us", they have to be some lower form of "other" in order for our society's relationship with animals to make sense.

Also, most scientists that want to study things like animal emotions are often looked down upon or ridiculed by their peers, especially if their research doesn't involve charismatic animals like great apes or dolphins. Take a look at Irene Pepperberg and how she was treated by her colleagues, denied funding, and passed over multiple times simply because she had the gall to be passionate about something she believed in (avian intelligence). There have been multiple double-blind, tightly controlled scientific studies on an African Grey parrot named N'kisi who can seemingly know her owner's thoughts. Many studies have been done with N'kisi with her owner in another apartment, and when her owner looks at a pre-chosen randomized photograph N'kisi will say what she is looking at to a statistically significant degree (ie, the likelihood that she is merely saying a random word is so low that it can't be attributed to pure chance). But who is going to publish a paper like that in their well-respected scientific journal? No one, because it's not "scientifically acceptable" to believe that something like that could be true. If someone did a study on the psychic ability of dolphins, it would probably get attention. But a mere bird? No way.

I think all animals are incredibly intelligent. Maybe we don't think a mouse is very "smart" but it's better at being a mouse than we'll ever be. If a mouse could devise an intelligence test, every other animal would fail, you know? Saying a certain animal is "smart" or "emotional" or whatever, by nature of the question, is going to have a human-centric answer and doesn't really have anything to do with the animal's actual intelligence.

Obviously this is all my opinion and the whole school of thought is quite controversial. How would our world change if someone could actually prove that cows, pigs, chickens, etc had emotions and thoughts and feelings like ours? I suspect that research would get swept under the rug or, more likely, not get funding in the first place.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Kitty litter was invented in the '40s, but that doesn't mean people first started keeping them in then -- before that, you just used sand in a cat box. The whole pedigree cat show thing began in Victorian times, and precious Persian Fluffy wasn't going past the back garden at most. Indoor-only cats have been around for at least 125 years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

razz posted:

Also, most scientists that want to study things like animal emotions are often looked down upon or ridiculed by their peers

There are lots of studies on animal intelligence and emotion. Not so many on psychic parrots, but that's probably down to the fact that it's complete bullshit. Or maybe it's a conspiracy by the arbiters of science to suppress the truth. :iiam:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

razz posted:

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean it's not happening. I think all animals have emotions and language. We just don't have the capacity to understand it, just like they don't really have the capacity to understand ours. We also are very hesitant to allow ourselves to believe that animals can be so "human". People don't want to believe animals are so much like "us", they have to be some lower form of "other" in order for our society's relationship with animals to make sense.

People are far faster to attribute human concepts like emotion and language onto animals than assume they don't have them. People think their pets love them, understand their names as names etc. We are far more likely to be assuming human intelligence of animals for what is rote learning or something distinctly inhuman that we can't grasp.

I struggle to imagine how you came to the opposite conclusion? If you're just inferring from how human beings in general treat animals poorly - hunting, factory farming etc. Well - do you think that people don't think other human beings have emotions and language? Because we don't have a great track record of treating people well either.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Would a dandruff shampoo work for a scalp that's itchy in places but not flaky?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Is there a website that lets you specify dimensions and order a cut countertop? Everywhere I've seen wants to come out a do estimates and stuff.

I only need one little piece cut and I know exactly how much.

heartbreaksuzie
Apr 27, 2012

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Does anyone here speak Greek? The secret santa recipient my fiance got is a woman who moved here from Greece 2 years ago, so we thought it would be nice to make an etched glass art piece that says "Home" in Greek, meaning both her current place of residence as well as referring to Greece. I've been able to look up individual words for "house" and "homeland" but I'm not sure if there even exists a word that would have the dual meaning that we're looking for.

Σπίτι means house as well as home or even family, and it can definitely be used to mean "homeland", as in "I'm going back home". That's a nice idea for a gift too :3:

Edit: Although to be honest, single words don't work in Greek as well as in English, maybe something like "my home" (σπίτι μου/Σπίτι Μου in capitals) would work better I think.

heartbreaksuzie fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 9, 2013

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

heartbreaksuzie posted:

Σπίτι means house as well as home or even family, and it can definitely be used to mean "homeland", as in "I'm going back home". That's a nice idea for a gift too :3:

Edit: Although to be honest, single words don't work in Greek as well as in English, maybe something like "my home" (σπίτι μου/Σπίτι Μου in capitals) would work better I think.

AWESOME! Thank you so much!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Need help purchasing airline tickets internationally. The travel subforum is pretty dead and outdated. I did some googling but most sites use the same search. Any tips?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559951&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There's fairly regular posts in this thread along with a detailed OP.

What are you trying to do?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I have an idea for a children's book. It would be for pretty young kids, maybe age 4-7. Does anyone have experience writing and publishing a book like this? I have zero artistic capabilities so I would have to collaborate with an artist.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

razz posted:

I have an idea for a children's book. It would be for pretty young kids, maybe age 4-7. Does anyone have experience writing and publishing a book like this? I have zero artistic capabilities so I would have to collaborate with an artist.

You want Assassin Princess, she rules. Profile: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=165143

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Xandu posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559951&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There's fairly regular posts in this thread along with a detailed OP.

What are you trying to do?

Yo thanks man. I read some of the OP but the last post was 7 days ago and I'm trying to get this done in the next 1 or 2 days.

Cleveland to Moscow round trip cheapest way possible. Preferably leave around Christmas day. I've never flown before so I have no idea how to do this. No, I am not a functioning adult and need someone to hold my hand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

http://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=CLE;t=DME,VKO,SVO;d=2013-12-25;r=2013-12-29

Apply credit card. Show up at airport and get on plane.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I like the kayak.com interface better. But, yeah, read the TSA traveler info, show up way early (because the airport will be understaffed if you travel on Christmas Day), don't forget your passport, it's all good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

razz posted:

There have been multiple double-blind, tightly controlled scientific studies on an African Grey parrot named N'kisi who can seemingly know her owner's thoughts. Many studies have been done with N'kisi with her owner in another apartment, and when her owner looks at a pre-chosen randomized photograph N'kisi will say what she is looking at to a statistically significant degree (ie, the likelihood that she is merely saying a random word is so low that it can't be attributed to pure chance). But who is going to publish a paper like that in their well-respected scientific journal? No one, because it's not "scientifically acceptable" to believe that something like that could be true. If someone did a study on the psychic ability of dolphins, it would probably get attention. But a mere bird? No way.

This is very difficult to believe. Firstly, any supposed indication of some sort of "psychic" connection between two people (or animals or whatever) drawn from studies in the past have been attributed to flawed experimental methods pretty much every single time. Secondly, any suggestion of psychic abilities of dolphins would be equally panned in credible scientific journals because the idea is just as preposterous as any other animal.

razz posted:

I think all animals are incredibly intelligent. Maybe we don't think a mouse is very "smart" but it's better at being a mouse than we'll ever be. If a mouse could devise an intelligence test, every other animal would fail, you know? Saying a certain animal is "smart" or "emotional" or whatever, by nature of the question, is going to have a human-centric answer and doesn't really have anything to do with the animal's actual intelligence.

This, at least, has a lot of truth. Of course a mouse will be better than a non-mouse at doing mouse things; mouse things is all a mouse has to do and its species had millions of years to perfect methods for doing mouse things. I studied the behavior of bees for the past three years and they do really smart things too. No amount of spreadsheets, scheduling, and HR staff can pull off the type of organization those insects are capable of.

razz posted:

How would our world change if someone could actually prove that cows, pigs, chickens, etc had emotions and thoughts and feelings like ours? I suspect that research would get swept under the rug or, more likely, not get funding in the first place.

This is cynical thinking. Intelligence is very easy to test, but emotions not so much. Emotions have a gigantic subjectivity component and studies testing it would probably be riddled with flawed methods and biased conclusions because of that. You're right, such studies might not be able to get funding, but not for the reasons you suspect.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 9, 2013

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I would like to create a trail/property map for our neighborhood and was wondering if there were any free(emphasis on free) tools to do that. Mainly I need something that I can import GPS data to as well as basic functions such as markers and drawing lines. Ideally I could publish/share the map online, could use layers to group/hide certain sets of markers and could see the Lat/Long coords of any point on the map, but those features are less important.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When the opposition resigns en masse as they did in Thailand, the ruling government is said to have lost legitimacy. Can someone explain why this is the case? I intuitively get legitimacy but have trouble explaining it in this situation.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Imagine two teams playing a game, then one team decides that it's not worth the effort and goes home. It drives home how outrageous and hopeless the opposition feel their situation is, which can only really be explained by repressive laws favouring the government.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

razz posted:

Also, most scientists that want to study things like animal emotions are often looked down upon or ridiculed by their peers, especially if their research doesn't involve charismatic animals like great apes or dolphins. Take a look at Irene Pepperberg and how she was treated by her colleagues, denied funding, and passed over multiple times simply because she had the gall to be passionate about something she believed in (avian intelligence). There have been multiple double-blind, tightly controlled scientific studies on an African Grey parrot named N'kisi who can seemingly know her owner's thoughts. Many studies have been done with N'kisi with her owner in another apartment, and when her owner looks at a pre-chosen randomized photograph N'kisi will say what she is looking at to a statistically significant degree (ie, the likelihood that she is merely saying a random word is so low that it can't be attributed to pure chance). But who is going to publish a paper like that in their well-respected scientific journal? No one, because it's not "scientifically acceptable" to believe that something like that could be true. If someone did a study on the psychic ability of dolphins, it would probably get attention. But a mere bird? No way.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for JREF One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

That is if she's willing to cooperate with the James Randi Educational Foundation in setting up a controlled experiment, with agreement on what constitutes a success and a failure.

The one published study was deeply flawed with respect to controls and safeguards against confirmation bias, and if the data was analyzed more strictly all significance disappeared. I don't think Pepperberg is being unfunded because she's working with birds, but because she makes incredible claims without backing them up by solid evidence.

http://www.skepdic.com/nkisi.html

e:

Here, one of the authors of the paper responds to skeptic criticism and the skeptic responds in turn.

http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/replytosheldrake.html

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Yo thanks man. I read some of the OP but the last post was 7 days ago and I'm trying to get this done in the next 1 or 2 days.

Cleveland to Moscow round trip cheapest way possible. Preferably leave around Christmas day. I've never flown before so I have no idea how to do this. No, I am not a functioning adult and need someone to hold my hand.

Make sure you read up on how to get a visa for Russia which frankly appears to be a slight pain in the rear end (relatively speaking). There is a good article on wikivoyage. Not sure if there is enough time to get one between then and now.