Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turtlicious posted:

Why does my girlfriend get mad when I pointed she lives in a vanilla town that isn't very diverse? Also that she is rich and might have it easier then others?
Is she a goon? Maybe she checked your post history in the feminism thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trastion posted:

I understand the point you are making but if you think Coke & Pepsi taste the same you have very bad taste. They taste slightly alike but not even close really. I don't drink pop/soda/cola/whatever anymore but when people say stupid poo poo like that it makes them seem ignorant. It like saying a pizza from Pizza Hut and the little family owned Italian pizzeria down the road taste the same.

There's a measurable difference between Coke and Pepsi, obviously, but in blind taste tests people consistently fail to tell which is which and are very inconsistent about which tastes better. Preference is mostly down to marketing.

razz posted:

If not knowing the differences between foods (and I use that term loosely) made completely out of chemicals and preservatives somehow makes me "seem ignorant" than I guess I am.

All foods are made out of chemicals. Almost all foods are made out of chemicals and preservatives (which are also chemicals).

tuyop posted:

What is (the) good? In 15 words or less.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiggum posted:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

17 words. Failure.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Tiggum posted:

There's a measurable difference between Coke and Pepsi, obviously, but in blind taste tests people consistently fail to tell which is which and are very inconsistent about which tastes better. Preference is mostly down to marketing.

Yeah that's basically what I meant. Even hardcore fans of one brand only pick their chosen beverage half the time (ie at random). There have been multiple Coke and Pepsi studies done that show this. Similar studies have also been done with sugar vs. corn syrup flavored drinks, and with generic vs. name brand foods. It has nothing to do with having "bad taste". I actually have great taste because I only have a soda like 2 times a month, if that, because I like water.

And yes I know all food is made of chemicals. I was more referring to the fact that we're arguing about differences of Coke and Pepsi and apparently that means I have "bad taste" although I would argue that anyone who is that fanatic about soda is the one with bad taste.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think the concept of "good taste" is impossible to define and not based on the frequency of one's consumption of cola.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Hi friends, I've been unexpectedly given a gift by another student at my university in the U.S. and I'm posting here to ask about how I should interpret the meaning of this student's gesture and how I should respond to her gesture.

I am a sociology MA student from the U.S. and she is a PhD student in a health-related science discipline from Thailand. We are both in a class together and the last day of class was today. Before the class started today, she gave a gift to me and to one other student in the class (who is also an American male graduate student). She gave us each a 1.69 ounce container of Honeymania Body Butter, which she described as a lotion that can be used on one's hands or body.

I appreciate this gift, but I'm also confused about it and don't know what to do in response. There are like 10+ people in this class, so why did she buy containers of Body Butter just for me and for this one other guy? Was she trying to send some kind of symbolic message through these gifts?

The activity with which I most readily associate this particular item is masturbation. Would it be wishful thinking on my part for me to speculate that this gift of Body Butter was intended as a gesture of sexual interest? I would enjoy engaging in consensual sexual activity with her, but I'm not interested in spending much money or putting much effort into convincing her to want to engage in such consensual activity with me. She is going back to Thailand next week to visit family, but will be back here in the U.S. in January for the next semester. I sorta doubt that I'll ever see her again unless I actively attempt to try to see her again.

So yeah, how should I interpret the meaning of her gesture and how should I respond? Should I just forget about this and move on as if nothing happened? Should I just send a quick "thank you" email? Should I buy something for her? Should I send an email asking her if she could show me how to use this Body Butter?

At this point, I think I'm probably leaning most heavily toward the option of just moving on as if nothing happened, but I'd appreciate it if posters could share their thoughts about this situation! Sorry if this is too long of a post for this thread. I really didn't want to make an E/N thread just for this.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Say thank you and give her a small gift in return if you feel like it.

The fact that you associate 'body butter' with masturbation, and using that, infer that she wishes to have sex with you, is very very strange.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Math Debater posted:

Hi friends, I've been unexpectedly given a gift by another student at my university in the U.S. and I'm posting here to ask about how I should interpret the meaning of this student's gesture and how I should respond to her gesture.

I am a sociology MA student from the U.S. and she is a PhD student in a health-related science discipline from Thailand. We are both in a class together and the last day of class was today. Before the class started today, she gave a gift to me and to one other student in the class (who is also an American male graduate student). She gave us each a 1.69 ounce container of Honeymania Body Butter, which she described as a lotion that can be used on one's hands or body.

I appreciate this gift, but I'm also confused about it and don't know what to do in response. There are like 10+ people in this class, so why did she buy containers of Body Butter just for me and for this one other guy? Was she trying to send some kind of symbolic message through these gifts?

The activity with which I most readily associate this particular item is masturbation. Would it be wishful thinking on my part for me to speculate that this gift of Body Butter was intended as a gesture of sexual interest? I would enjoy engaging in consensual sexual activity with her, but I'm not interested in spending much money or putting much effort into convincing her to want to engage in such consensual activity with me. She is going back to Thailand next week to visit family, but will be back here in the U.S. in January for the next semester. I sorta doubt that I'll ever see her again unless I actively attempt to try to see her again.

So yeah, how should I interpret the meaning of her gesture and how should I respond? Should I just forget about this and move on as if nothing happened? Should I just send a quick "thank you" email? Should I buy something for her? Should I send an email asking her if she could show me how to use this Body Butter?

At this point, I think I'm probably leaning most heavily toward the option of just moving on as if nothing happened, but I'd appreciate it if posters could share their thoughts about this situation! Sorry if this is too long of a post for this thread. I really didn't want to make an E/N thread just for this.

Well first you should probably masturbate with that body butter, I mean that much is clear right from the get go.

Then after you do that and stop being creepy as hell, maybe ask her out for a coffee or something. She's either trying to make friends or she's interested in you. I'd would assume the former.

The fact that you automatically think about masturbation is hilarious and awkward and I really don't know what to tell you here except that this would have been a really fun E/N thread. Thanks for depriving us, jerk.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Math Debater posted:

I would enjoy engaging in consensual sexual activity with her, but I'm not interested in spending much money or putting much effort into convincing her to want to engage in such consensual activity with me.

First off, ignore it and move on.

Second, is this how you actually talk? I promise I'm not trying to make fun of you, but this comes off as really awkward. Your immediate thought to someone maybe (but probably not) wanting to gently caress you should not be "ugh, I don't want to spend too much money on this."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
In sociology as a lowly undergrad I learned that misunderstandings about symbols and meaning are best reconciled through communication and context.

By that I mean, talk to this person and figure out if she's interested in you if you want. If you can't be bothered, don't.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
No wait. Masturbate with the body butter and take a picture shortly after your climax. Show this girl the picture. In Thailand they have a very forward and open sexual culture. When in Rome...

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Math Debater posted:

Stop sperging out and talk to her. Take her out for coffee or something christ it is not hard.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You all missed the most important part. It is a 1.69 oz container. Coincidence? Nope. Not only does she want to engage in consensual sexual activities with you, she wants to engage in a very specific consensual sexual activity. I hope you like the taste of that body butter buddy.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That guy must be trolling. 1.69? "math debater" (masturbator)? C'mon. And who writes like that? And what kind of man masturbates with butter? We all know to go straight to the water-based lubes for the best action.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

You all missed the most important part. It is a 1.69 oz container. Coincidence? Nope. Not only does she want to engage in consensual sexual activities with you, she wants to engage in a very specific consensual sexual activity. I hope you like the taste of that body butter buddy.

Isn't Thailand metric, though?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think the most obvious option everyone is overlooking is that she's setting him up with the other guy that got the body butter.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Have I just been trolled by forums poster Math Debater? This is my small question, TIA.

Also, Math Debater, are you really planning on moving to Cambodia? Are you doing so for this girl who gave you body butter?

e: Is "body butter" slang for semen? :confused: I have so many questions needing answers.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think the most obvious option everyone is overlooking is that she's setting him up with the other guy that got the body butter.

Yeah it's actually a pretty weird situation and a legitimate question. I can't figure out why a girl would give two random guys body butter for seemingly no reason. If she did it because she likes you... why would she let you see her give the same gift to another guy? So many questions.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, thanks for all of your feedback! This is very helpful and I think I'm just going to move on or perhaps send a very short "thank you" email at the very most. I went ahead and took a picture of the 1.69 oz Body Butter container. It does smell nice and I'll enjoy using this as a personal lubricant.

Edit: kedo, yeah I am interested in moving to Cambodia, but I've been wanting to go there since before I met the woman who gave me the Body Butter. She did tell me that her town in Thailand is very close to Cambodia and she mentioned the possibility of visiting me in Cambodia...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Math Debater fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 13, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mystery solved. That container is TSA-compliant. I know where YOU'RE going for winter break!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Solution: move to Cambodia. Bring the body butter. Purchase a boom box and every album ever released by Barry White (this will get you started).

Godspeed, sir.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Math Debater posted:

Okay, thanks for all of your feedback! This is very helpful and I think I'm just going to move on or perhaps send a very short "thank you" email at the very most. I went ahead and took a picture of the 1.69 oz Body Butter container. It does smell nice and I'll enjoy using this as a personal lubricant.

Edit: kedo, yeah I am interested in moving to Cambodia, but I've been wanting to go there since before I met the woman who gave me the Body Butter. She did tell me that her town in Thailand is very close to Cambodia and she mentioned the possibility of visiting me in Cambodia...

If she only got them for 2 people in the class, maybe she just thinks you guys are nice and wants to be friends with you. Couldn't hurt to ask her to coffee or something, just as a friend - don't expect any body butter related activities.

FWIW some Asian cultures have much more casual gift giving among friends and colleagues than we do, at least in my experience with Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, and Thai colleagues of mine.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Do you guys know of a song that has lyrics saying "I'm not an addict, no, no, no"? That one line has been in my head off and on for like 15 years and it just occurred to me I have no idea what it is from (or if my brain just created it out of thin air). It is not the K's Choice song, although I admit that my brain might have taken that and turned it into the line I hear in my head...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dudebro posted:

That guy must be trolling. 1.69? "math debater" (masturbator)? C'mon. And who writes like that? And what kind of man masturbates with butter? We all know to go straight to the water-based lubes for the best action.

There's like a whole thread in FYAD about Math Debater. It took them pages to figure out the pun.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

OctoberBlues posted:

Do you guys know of a song that has lyrics saying "I'm not an addict, no, no, no"? That one line has been in my head off and on for like 15 years and it just occurred to me I have no idea what it is from (or if my brain just created it out of thin air). It is not the K's Choice song, although I admit that my brain might have taken that and turned it into the line I hear in my head...

Might try here instead: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112
As a longshot possibility, Rehab by Amy Winehouse?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kedo posted:

e: Is "body butter" slang for semen? :confused: I have so many questions needing answers.

No that's baby batter

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Ah, I'm pretty sure now that she doesn't want to have sex with me. I sent her a "thank you" email and she mentioned in her reply that she and her spouse in Thailand would be willing to help me out when I'm in Southeast Asia. Well I really appreciate her friendly gesture and am looking forward to masturbating with this Body Butter!

Quincetessence
Oct 23, 2008
I know you've figured out your situation already, but as someone of Thai descent with lots of Thai family: Thai folks seem to just really value nice smelling moisturizing lotion. Especially when away from the extremely humid home country, everywhere else seems dry. My family often requests nice lotions from stateside when we visit, too.

It probably seemed like a courteous, useful gift.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Why do some people say "an" before the words history, historic or historian when they pronounce the h?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

Why do some people say "an" before the words history, historic or historian when they pronounce the h?

Because they're under the mistaken impression that it's more correct to do so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Because they're under the mistaken impression that it's more correct to do so.

Well no, it's about pronunciation. If, in your dialect, you emphasize the h in historian, then you say "a historian", if the h is nearly dropped, you say an historian just like you would say "an hour".

As for writing, both are correct because both pronunciations are correct. Just say it out loud. Like when I say it (east coast Canada so kind of like an upper class Bostonian accent/dialect), the h is almost entirely dropped and it feels clumsy and wrong to say "a 'istorian", so in writing I reflexively stick with "an historian".

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Crankit posted:

In some dialects/accents the h is sometimes silent, so it effectively becomes istorian when said, and therefore follows the rule like 'an RPG' where the first sound is a vowel.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Please note that I did specify "when they pronounce the h" meaning they say historian with a voiced and distinct h, I'd understand if they dropped it and said an 'istorian. What I don't understand is why some people with good diction pronounce historian correctly but say "an" before it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Please note that I did specify "when they pronounce the h" meaning they say historian with a voiced and distinct h, I'd understand if they dropped it and said an 'istorian. What I don't understand is why some people with good diction pronounce historian correctly but say "an" before it.

Oh, in that case they're probably mimicking a professor or something they heard somewhere that they thought sounded intelligent without actually looking at their speech and why they say some things and not others.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Why/how does making the headphone cord a wide strip cause it to not tangle (as much)?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It only bends easily in 2 directions so it takes a lot more effort for it to wrap around something or bend around its self.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is it me or did Singapore just make an extremely valuable breakthrough that could lead to microelectronics exploiting Graphene's properties soon? I read this article and sort of freaked out: http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/press...ctronic-devices

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Ape Fruit posted:

Is it me or did Singapore just make an extremely valuable breakthrough that could lead to microelectronics exploiting Graphene's properties soon? I read this article and sort of freaked out: http://www.science.nus.edu.sg/press...ctronic-devices

It's good, but a decade at least away from commercial application. Science journalism is pretty guilty of making innovations seem much closer to application than they are. Still cool.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

Ringo Starr's "No No Song" came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZN_8M4OpMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Maybe Amy Winehouse Rehab? It's from 2006 so only 7 years ago but it has the line "They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said no, no, no"

http://youtu.be/KUmZp8pR1uc