Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sorry that I'm back with questions. I'm still looking for a TV to replace my Sharp 26" LCD. Me and my father were looking at TVs and he recommended Samsun UN32F5000 32inch LED. I saw what was supposed to be a 32" at Sears, because I needed to see it in person and it felt really small, like it was barely a step up from 26". But I'm not quite sure since I can't find a comparison photo online on how it would look in an actual set up. Instead all I get are just the pictures of the TV in purgatory.

Right now the goal is less than $400, preferably less than $300 since we found this 32" at $260. Has to be:

1080p,
16:9 (I'm dumb so it's probably the same thing),
60HZ and around 35".

My focus is one good image quality over all else. I tend to always run Dynamic or whatever has the brighter screen settings.

Am I crazy with what I want? I physically don't or just barely have room for a 40" and I'm really constrained on money. But ugh this 26" is bothering me to the point where I don't touch it. Which is funny because right now I just game off of a PC gaming 27" monitor. To that monitors credit it has great color accuracy and a really nice picture overall.

One of the other TVs I found was a Toshiba 39" but every time I bring it up to someone they tell me how awful that brand is.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN3W19Q/?tag=dislag-20

Man, if only I could have unlimited money to get a really amazing Tv. :(

Ularg fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Ularg posted:

Man, if only I could have unlimited money to get a really amazing Tv. :(

That's the same tv recommended via The Wire Cutter: The Best Small TV.

It frequently goes on sale and the colors are pretty amazing for its size (bright, vivid). I used to watched Netflix and used my PS3 exclusively on this set next to my Dell Ultrasharp monitor. You really can't go wrong with this tv for ~$300.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I want to buy the wife a region-free Blu-Ray player that has Hulu/Netflix/Amazon VOD. What's the best player for the price? (And is this the best place to ask?)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mitsune posted:

That's the same tv recommended via The Wire Cutter: The Best Small TV.

It frequently goes on sale and the colors are pretty amazing for its size (bright, vivid). I used to watched Netflix and used my PS3 exclusively on this set next to my Dell Ultrasharp monitor. You really can't go wrong with this tv for ~$300.

Nice, thank you very much. It seemed incredibly small in the store but I think that may have been either a wrong model set up for display or just looked smaller next to all the other huge TVs. Because measuring it out where I'll place it it seems fine and a nice upgrade.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I'm thinking of buying this 42-inch plasma TV but the cabinet I have, which would be a huge pain in the rear end to dismantle or replace, would leave practically no room for ventilation. Like an inch at most around. And there'd be nowhere for the heat to escape to at the back.

Is this a really bad idea? I know plasmas don't run as hot as they used to. I'd just really like a TV with a decent black level for once.

Edit: Forget it, I ordered an LED TV instead. I'm not shoving a plasma TV in that cabinet because I don't want to die.

paint dry fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 13, 2013

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I need a new TV. I live in the UK though so prices might be a bit different. But anyway; I suffer from a huge case of analysis paralysis and I swear to God I've been searching for a decent TV for weeks now trying to find the "best one" for my needs (which are basically ps3/blu ray and general TV).

The one I've settled on (I think...) is the Samsung F6320 (46") which is around £600. However, a friend told me that I should wait till after January as CES is on and prices will drop after that. Do prices usually drop after CES? Also is there a list of "recommended" TV's? I did read the op but could see anything along those lines unless I'm retarded and missed it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Thirteenth Step posted:

Do prices usually drop after CES?

If you have an eye on some of the current 2013 models, then yeah, they'll start dropping next year. In America at least, prices are pretty good around Christmas but a lot of the best deals are on 2012 models right now.

Anyway, thanks for the advice fellow goons, but after deliberating I settled on the Toshiba 50L2300U - I wasn't planning on buying so soon but that price was a little too good to pass up. The salesman at H.H. Gregg pushed the 4300U pretty hard, and while it did have more saturated color and better blacks, the 2300U seemed to have more accurate color to my eyes - plus I didn't have any need for smart TV features, and it was $150 more expensive (also currently backordered on Amazon, so no price match option on that model).

I'll do a trip report this weekend when I can put it through its paces. No more PS4 games in 720P! :woop:

Silky
Nov 2, 2008
So I'm looking at buying a TV, and I was thinking of getting a Panasonic plasma, the tc-p50s60 looked good as it was full HD, and supposed to have fantastic picture quality for the price. However, this doesn't appear to be a model available in the UK. Anyone have any idea what the equivalent UK model might be, or what I should be looking for instead?

Anyone have UK reccommendations in general? I don't really care about having a smart or 3d TV, I'd just like something for gaming with good picture quality and good colours. Plasma seems like the way to go due to lack of input lag and ghosting, and being able to cope with lower res images better, but if there are better TVs anyone has a recommendation for like a particularly good value LED (or one worth saving up for) I'll consider anything.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

I'm looking for a decent 60" television. LED or plasma, but I watch a lot of sports so I'll probably prefer LED? My price range is between $1500-1800.

Things I can about : Black levels, input lag. While I'm planning on buying a home theatre system, it won't be for awhile so not having terrible audio would be a plus.

I paid $1750 for my Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

It's a ton better than Vizio junk.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
My dad is in the market for a new TV. He wants to go 50-55 inches (depending on if it will fit in the cabinet it goes in in the living room.) He wants to go as nice as possible for under $1,100.

Things we care about: Black levels, picture quality, not looking blurry during fast moving movies/sports.

Things we don't care about: 3D, 4k, Smart apps (though I think that would be nice for him to have.)

Any suggestions?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GeauxSteve posted:

My dad is in the market for a new TV. He wants to go 50-55 inches (depending on if it will fit in the cabinet it goes in in the living room.) He wants to go as nice as possible for under $1,100.

Things we care about : Black levels, picture quality, not looking blurry during fast moving movies/sports.

Things we don't care about : 3D, 4k, Smart apps (though I think that would be nice for him to have.)

Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC4SJEC/

Comes in 55", 60" and 65".

We had our 55" delivered on Friday and couldn't be more pleased. And this is coming from a 50" Kuro, the gold standard of Plasmas.

Yes it's expensive and yes it's worth it. Buy while you can because Panasonic is leaving the Plasma business.

Thanks to this thread for the recommendation. It's a great TV.

Also there is a cheaper model that goes down to 50"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVRJK3K

But appears to be out of stock for the 50" and 55". People are buying these up quick, so if you want blacker than blacks, no motion blur or other LCD flaws, get one soon.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I ended up with a 60vt60 and it is amazing. Two weeks in and zero burn in or image retention, no noticeable input lag, ridiculous blacks, and a perfectly uniform screen. My only regret is I have no idea how I'm going to top this set once plasmas are no longer an option.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another 55VT60 buyer here, although I only just bought it and have to wait until later on this week before it actually lands on my doorstep. I figure that if the ST60 can have input lag and Panasonic is ending production of plasmas, I may as well go up to the VT60 for something good that will last rather than down to the S60.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sup VT60 buddy? :respek:

How did you calbrate your set? The standard "Normal" is horrendous. I followed this guide:

http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-vt60-picture-settings.html

Some of the settings don't match totally (newer firmware I guess) but I got it close. Basically turned off all of the soap opera settings and tweaked as much as I can. But the wife says the picture quality is still not great; too red reds and not enough blues. We tried to tweak further, but have no idea what we are doing, so it needs more tuning.

Did you just put it on THX and call it a day? It looks great, but still noticing flaws vs. the Kuro we have used since 2009.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I plan on tweaking with the Disney WOW Blu-ray once I get my unit. I'd be happy to share my settings once I calibrate it, but that might not be until the new year.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Trip report: Toshiba 50L2300U

Picked this up Thursday, as mentioned earlier. I was in the market for an inexpensive-but-decent 1080P display, which this set pretty much is. My old 32" LCD is a Toshiba as well and has been rock solid for 5+ years, so I felt good sticking with the brand. Features-wise, it's pretty barebones, no smart features or anything similar. It is a 120Hz TV, but there isn't any motion interpolation option (which is fine with me). Colors are a little cool by default, but look pretty good in the 'warm' setting, and enabling the Colormaster setting lets you do full calibration tweaks (which I haven't yet gotten into). There's a Dynalight setting, which as best I can tell is a poor man's local dimming feature - the whole display is dimmed or brightened depending on what's on screen. You can set this to low, high, or off - I prefer the low setting myself. Black levels overall aren't great, but that's to be expected for a display this price - and seem comparable to my 5 year old 32" LCD. Viewing angles are also very good, though it is slightly dimmer when viewed at an angle.

1080P content is very sharp on this display, and no noticeable display lag (this exact model isn't on displaylag.com, but the 39" model scores 30ms), so it's a very good set for gaming.

Sound seems decent through the integrated speakers, with a couple Audyssey options, though I haven't messed with it much (it's hooked up to my 5.1 setup).

The remote is pretty basic, though I'm eventually planning on picking up a Harmony remote. I'll also say the included stand seems a little flimsy, so I'd recommend a wall mount or stand with integrated mount (which I'm also planning on soon).

Power consumption is very good, dramatically lower than my roommate's old plasma and also below average for similar size LCD displays.

Overall it's a pretty good display - not videophile quality or anything, but I'd rank it as a very solid buy in its price range.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2013

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

hotsauce posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC4SJEC/

Comes in 55", 60" and 65".

We had our 55" delivered on Friday and couldn't be more pleased. And this is coming from a 50" Kuro, the gold standard of Plasmas.

Yes it's expensive and yes it's worth it. Buy while you can because Panasonic is leaving the Plasma business.

Thanks to this thread for the recommendation. It's a great TV.

Also there is a cheaper model that goes down to 50"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVRJK3K

But appears to be out of stock for the 50" and 55". People are buying these up quick, so if you want blacker than blacks, no motion blur or other LCD flaws, get one soon.

ST60 has horrible input lag issues if that's something you care about. The S60 doesn't have the issues, and is cheaper by a bit. I have it and I love it. You'll need to make sure it's in a room where you can control the lights because it's pretty reflective.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Can the Panasonic game lag be solved at all, like through Game Mode or anything? I want to replace my 60" Vizio in a few months for something with better black levels but I use the TV for gaming mostly, then Netflix or Hulu after that.

TheHawk
Apr 1, 2005
One out, One in.

Hey all, been looking to get a new tv but don't really know to much about what to look for so I'd like some help figuring out what to get. Looking for something in the 55-inch range and around $800. Ideally like something from Amazon as I can use my brothers prime account. I'll mainly be using it for watching sports and TV, with a little gaming thrown in. Thanks guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1997 posted:

Can the Panasonic game lag be solved at all, like through Game Mode or anything? I want to replace my 60" Vizio in a few months for something with better black levels but I use the TV for gaming mostly, then Netflix or Hulu after that.

Those horrible lag numbers are with game mode.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

status posted:

ST60 has horrible input lag issues if that's something you care about. The S60 doesn't have the issues, and is cheaper by a bit. I have it and I love it. You'll need to make sure it's in a room where you can control the lights because it's pretty reflective.

Yeah, the ST60 is in an awkward position because of that lag. My understanding is that if you aren't planning on gaming, it's at the perfect price-performance point. Otherwise you either move up to the VT60 or down to the S60 depending on whether size or cost are of greater concern than the S60's reflective screen. I haven't really been able to see head-to-head lag comparisons of the S60 vs. the VT60 (the input lag sites either have one or the other, but not both, making it difficult to compare) but I suspect they're pretty close to equivalent.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I just got a samsung f6320 and the input lag on my ps3 is quite bad. My tv does have a gaming mode but it's not available for selection (ps3 connected via hdmi)

Can anyone educate me to save me phoning tech support.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I'm thinking about getting an ST60 but I'm curious about the input lag. I don't play games, but is lip sync ever an issue? I have a pioneer receiver with a 5.1 setup that I'll be using with it.

Also, how are the Smart features like the streaming services and DLNA? I have a Roku 3, but it would be nice to minimize how many devices are hooked up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Under worse case, the input lag of the ST60 is still under 100ms I believe. Lip sync usually isn't perceptible until you get closer to the 200ms range.

Also, many receivers allow you to adjust overall audio delay to help sort that stuff out too.

Don't forget, audio processing in the receiver is also going to introduce a measurable amount of audio lag as well, so the delta between it and the picture may even be less than the pure input lag of the display.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I'm realizing just how spoiled I have been over the last 5 years with my LN40A650 Touch of Color (sammy), 15-25ms input lag has been pretty awesome, why does every tv these days have major lag? This thing still runs flawlessly, but its time to upgrade to a 50-55 for my new bigger living room. I've been looking to switch to plasma and im also thinking about picking up the Panasonic 55VT60 but I am not sure if it will be a bit too big for my room. Anyone have a decent shot of it in their living room? I wanted to get a 50S60, but I can't find one on the internet or in stores anywhere.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

JayJay posted:

I'm realizing just how spoiled I have been over the last 5 years with my LN40A650 Touch of Color (sammy), 15-25ms input lag has been pretty awesome, why does every tv these days have major lag? This thing still runs flawlessly, but its time to upgrade to a 50-55 for my new bigger living room. I've been looking to switch to plasma and im also thinking about picking up the Panasonic 55VT60 but I am not sure if it will be a bit too big for my room. Anyone have a decent shot of it in their living room? I wanted to get a 50S60, but I can't find one on the internet or in stores anywhere.

Have you tried Best Buy? I was in there about a week ago looking at that exact TV. Granted, I'm in NJ and not Texas, but it's worth a shot.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

catch22 posted:

Have you tried Best Buy? I was in there about a week ago looking at that exact TV. Granted, I'm in NJ and not Texas, but it's worth a shot.

The VT60 or the S60? I can find the VT60 about 30 minutes away, or I can order it amazon/bestbuy. But the S60 seems to be out for both ordering and in-store all over Florida. :(

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JayJay posted:

55" VT60. Wife wondering why the hell I'm taking pictures, but here you go.

http://imgur.com/a/LSXtq

It's more reflective than our previous 50" Kuro, but not overly. You can see the reflections from the kitchen. Overall, we are really happy with this TV.

Wanted a 60" but the drat cutout made that decision for us. The 55" barely fits the opening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JayJay posted:

The reason is Smart features, usually.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

JayJay posted:

The VT60 or the S60? I can find the VT60 about 30 minutes away, or I can order it amazon/bestbuy. But the S60 seems to be out for both ordering and in-store all over Florida. :(

S60

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

hotsauce posted:

It's more reflective than our previous 50" Kuro, but not overly. You can see the reflections from the kitchen. Overall, we are really happy with this TV.

Wanted a 60" but the drat cutout made that decision for us. The 55" barely fits the opening.

I have almost no light except for one window that is pretty well covered, tv faces my back wall. So not very worried about the reflection. God drat, that is a nice TV. Nice dog too. :3: Im going to have to take some measurements I guess and make sure I can fit it. Thanks!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

hotsauce posted:

That's a beautiful room. Had to let you know.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I cant seem to find a TV audio thread.

Whats the best soundbar / speaker set up for >150? Our TV's speakers suck (of course) and we'd like the ability to also stream music over blue-tooth.
The reviews I saw suggested soundbars aren't great for music as compared to individual speaker set-ups but open to any suggestions.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

False posted:

The audio thread is here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

False posted:

Whats the best soundbar / speaker set up for >150? Our TV's speakers suck (of course) and we'd like the ability to also stream music over blue-tooth.
The reviews I saw suggested soundbars aren't great for music as compared to individual speaker set-ups but open to any suggestions.

You're not going to get a great one for $150 really. Or at least not new.

The Wirecutter picked this Vizio as their best budget soundbar:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-soundbar/

You should check Amazon Warehouse as well as Woot. Woot JUST finished a sale on Pinnacle speakers and had some decent 2.1 soundbar setups for $150-200. They were refurbed, but I wouldn't worry about that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Got around today to calibrating my Toshiba 50L2300U using CNet's recommended calibration settings, and the picture is substantially improved. Colors are true, though blacks still are a bit washed out. If anyone else needs quick & dirty calibration help, CNet's forums have recommended settings for lots of other models too.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004
Any one have any thoughts on the Sharp Aquos #LC-60LE650U? I have read a few review sites and it seems like a decent value. I am not really into gaming, but my girlfriend is, so I guess the 59ms lag would mostly be acceptable. I don't care much about the smart features, but it seems to have some maybe I will use them. The picture reviews seem decent. I mostly watch sports and movies.

Any experiences with this tv, or with sharp in general? Best buy has it for $1000 right now, and my TV is dying a slow death, I am very tempted to go for this one.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Does anyone have experience with the ST line of Panasonic Plasmas? I have been reading the AVS thread about the input lag and I am really on the fence about it, but I don't think I want to spend the extra 600 for a VT and the S is impossible to find in any major store here. Obviously, gaming is my issue, and 100ms lag might be noticeable.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 20, 2013

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to find a good 42-47" TV for my parents to replace a dying CRT. I've narrowed it down to two models based on [42-47";1080p;120Hz;Quality;LessThan$700] those being the Vizio M471I-A2 and the Samsung UN46F6350AF. I have two questions I haven't been able to find the answer to:

1. Do either of these TV have an app that supports ESPN3? This is the one "high tech" feature my parents would want. If not, is it easy to get chromecast to work with both of these TVs?

2. How's the sound quality? I doubt they're going to care enough to buy a soundbar but I want something that's not completely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like ESPN3 (specifically the WatchESPN app) isn't part of any Smart TV platform. Chromecast works with any TV with HDMI though. It's basically like plugging in a DVD/Bluray/etc. player. It's its own device with an OS and everything.