Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

amuayse posted:

To gain knowledge I guess? Dogs domesticating humans and such.

No, what I meant is why would it count as time travel if it doesn't really link to the actual past? At best it's a window into a specific point in time/space, but you can't do much but observe, and who knows what the extent is (ie it may be a really tiny actual place).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The books aren't linear in terms of time: why on earth would the world be any different ? :colbert:

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
when the timeline gets weird, a wizard did it

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Are there any normal people in Malazan who don't die horribly or have anything supernatural happen to them?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Probably, but it would be super boring if the novels followed them about their uneventful daily life wouldn't it?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Are there any normal people in Malazan who don't die horribly or have anything supernatural happen to them?

Everyone not mentioned in the books.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
circle breaker? Nothing really happens to him.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The ending to the ninth book. After that slog?

Goddamn.

That is all.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
The ending to the tenth book: Epilogue

Epilogue II

That was worth a chuckle.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Habibi posted:

If doesn't connect to that actual past - that is, what you do doesn't actually affect the past - why would it be?

But L'oric was in danger of dying there, if it was just a memory how could it kill him in the future?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

But L'oric was in danger of dying there, if it was just a memory how could it kill him in the future?

Just because it's a memory doesn't mean it isn't real enough to harm you (see: the ghosts of Raraku rising up, the Azath-anchored Imass realm, etc), but that doesn't have anything to do with time travel.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Habibi posted:

Just because it's a memory doesn't mean it isn't real enough to harm you (see: the ghosts of Raraku rising up, the Azath-anchored Imass realm, etc), but that doesn't have anything to do with time travel.

But the post I responded to said

quote:

"If doesn't connect to that actual past - that is, what you do doesn't actually affect the past - why would it be?"

L'oric was definitely interacting with that supposed dream fragment. He was not just observing, he could affect the beings there and they most certainly could interact with him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

But the post I responded to said

L'oric was definitely interacting with that supposed dream fragment. He was not just observing, he could affect the beings there and they most certainly could interact with him.

Yes, but interacting with a memory is not the same as interacting with or affecting the past. :confused:

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Let's be perfectly honest - none of us have any idea what is going on in 80% of the books. And FoD showed that even stuff we had pinned down we were completely and utterly wrong about.

Note that I'm not saying this is a bad thing.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Let's be perfectly honest - none of us have any idea what is going on in 80% of the books. And FoD showed that even stuff we had pinned down we were completely and utterly wrong about.

No kidding, by the time I finish a chunky chapter I've more or less forgotten what happened in the prior chapter. Luckily this hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the books, not yet anyway. And it definitely leaves me eager for a reread.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've read all the Malazan books and to this day I couldn't explain or even remember a tiny fraction of the plots if someone put a gun to my head. And yet, I loved them. They're the ultimate deserted island series, once you finish you can just start again and it would be almost like reading them for the first time!

Something, something dragons, something Anomander Rake, something something crazy sappers, oh no, someone died and I cried a lot, undead people, blah blah magic.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

This is only true the first time around.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Habibi posted:

This is only true the first time around.

If you have the time and energy for a reread, more power to you.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I never had trouble remembering what happened, but I have a decent memory for written things anyway. If you're forgetting people or mixing them up just use the Dramatis Personae at the beginning, it'll keep you on track with no spoilers.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

I'm doing this on Audible since I have a long commute. Book 4 was just released. They've already done FoD, too!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Danger posted:

I'm doing this on Audible since I have a long commute. Book 4 was just released. They've already done FoD, too!

How are the Audible narrators for the books that've been released so far?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The complex nature makes them an interesting reread, for me - I've gone through the series three times.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

savinhill posted:

How are the Audible narrators for the books that've been released so far?

Ralph Lister does a fantastic job. His were my first audio books, but after 6 months of a subscription I really came to appreciate how well he did even more. I haven't listened to Book 4 yet - it's narrated by the guy that did the Gentlemen Bastard series. Apparently he's not getting such good reviews.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This isn't a Malazan book, but I'm like 2/3 through This River Awakens and this is definitely an Erikson book. Complete with children philosophizing the poo poo out of everything. Honestly, the kids could easily be three years older and the book would work better for a few reasons. For example, having a 12 year-old go on about how bleak the world is seems a little out of place. It's a pretty dark book overall and worth a read. At least so far.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Forge of Darkness is messing with my brain. I'm 150 pages in and my entire world has been turned upside down. I don't know what to believe anymore

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tooter posted:

Forge of Darkness is messing with my brain. I'm 150 pages in and my entire world has been turned upside down. I don't know what to believe anymore
Yeah it's pretty great

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD

Robot Danger posted:

Ralph Lister does a fantastic job. His were my first audio books, but after 6 months of a subscription I really came to appreciate how well he did even more. I haven't listened to Book 4 yet - it's narrated by the guy that did the Gentlemen Bastard series. Apparently he's not getting such good reviews.

Due to his style I can imagine why Page isn't getting good reviews. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great reader but a poor fit for Malazan.

I know that John Haag read books 4-9 and supposedly did a good job from what I've read, but I wouldn't have a clue on where to find those.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Finished up Midnight Tides tonight. I'm looking forward to starting The Bonehunters tomorrow. Tehol and Bugg are rad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Well you're not going to get much out of them in The Bonehunters sadly. It's an ok book, but it's nothing compared to Midnight Tides and Reaper's Gale (which you should totally super look forward to, it's a great book.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nucleicmaxid posted:

Well you're not going to get much out of them in The Bonehunters sadly. It's an ok book, but it's nothing compared to Midnight Tides and Reaper's Gale (which you should totally super look forward to, it's a great book.)

I'm in the middle of Reaper's Gale right now. Tehol and Bugg make me laugh out loud: something that hasn't happened consistently since I was a teenager reading David Eddings.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I was a teenager reading David Eddings.

Oh those crazy days when we can't tell up from down

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

And yet, Bonehunters is one of my favorites in the series. I thought it was a pretty great book. Tehol and Bugg are outstanding whenever we see them, though, for sure.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

rizzen posted:

And yet, Bonehunters is one of my favorites in the series. I thought it was a pretty great book. Tehol and Bugg are outstanding whenever we see them, though, for sure.

Lots of weird poo poo happens in The Bonehunters. Also, it seems to have kind of answered the questions I had about the hounds of shadow and the Deragoth earlier in this thread, unless it's misinformation...When Paran releases the other 5 of the Deragoth, he muses about the Hounds of the Shadow he released and how they went there to "rejoin" the Deragoth or something. Mentions how those Deragoth now had their shadows, and he convinces Shadowthrone to send the Hounds of Shadow to 7 cities so the Deragoth will go to them there and make sure to get on D'Jim Nebril's (spelling) trail. e: though it doesn't seem that the Hounds are derived from the Deragoth either so the whole connection is still weirdly unexplained I guess

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 8, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Lots of weird poo poo happens in The Bonehunters. Also, it seems to have kind of answered the questions I had about the hounds of shadow and the Deragoth earlier in this thread, unless it's misinformation...When Paran releases the other 5 of the Deragoth, he muses about the Hounds of the Shadow he released and how they went there to "rejoin" the Deragoth or something. Mentions how those Deragoth now had their shadows, and he convinces Shadowthrone to send the Hounds of Shadow to 7 cities so the Deragoth will go to them there and make sure to get on D'Jim Nebril's (spelling) trail. e: though it doesn't seem that the Hounds are derived from the Deragoth either so the whole connection is still weirdly unexplained I guess

If FoD is any indication, those connections are going to end up being very mundane.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Habibi posted:

If FoD is any indication, those connections are going to end up being very mundane.

Dogs like to fight each other eh

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Dogs like to fight each other eh

That's sort of the very general gist of my guess.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The Malazan rereads over at the TOR site has been a godsend for me as I read this series for the first time

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Brief summaries of each chapter which I can look over to make sure I didn't miss anything, commentary from a new reader that doesn't spoil anything. I'm enjoying the series I think much more because of it.

Also, I really love the audiobook version of this.

I am AMAZED how much information Erickson is able to convey with so few words.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 21, 2014

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

theblackw0lf posted:

The Malazan rereads over at the TOR site has been a godsend for me as I read this series for the first time

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Brief summaries of each chapter which I can look over to make sure I didn't miss anything, commentary from a new reader that doesn't spoil anything. I'm enjoying the series I think much more because of it.

Also, I really love the audiobook version of this.

I am AMAZED how much information Erickson is able to convey with so few words.

I didn't realize they were doing this. I'm contemplating a 2nd readthrough as I'm sure I missed a ton the first time, but I've been stuck in a Warhammer 40K binge and I'm assuming I'll be over that soon enough. This might be the motivation I need to start it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm curious when the series really "hooked" people. For me, reading the first time, it seems to have happened around Chapter 9 of Gardens of the Moon Lorne and Dujek strategizing, Confrontation with Tattersail and Lorne, conversation between Paran and Tattersail, introduction of T'lan Imass and what they signify Seems around that time that the book started to feel truly epic, and as of Chapter 16 the epicness has just continued to increase. So many "holy poo poo" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I read the first book and thought it was okay, but not great. Since I'd gotten the first three from Half-Price Books all at once, I decided to start on Deadhouse Gates to see if it improved. After a chapter or so, I skimmed through it and realized that Whiskeyjack and Dujek weren't in the book and skipped ahead to Memories of Ice. I was hooked at the start of Memories of Ice, in the prologue.

quote:

"I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces upon a field of battle, and yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

EDIT: I went back to Deadhouse Gates afterwards and it is still my favorite book in the series. I was just put off by the perspective change at first.