Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

Invisible Ted posted:

So recently I've been interested in Friedrich Nietzsche, and have been listening to librivox recordings of Thus Spoke Zarathustra and The Gay Science, as it's easier for me to listen to that particular style of prose than to read it. I feel like the ideas and philosophical concepts are really interesting and his prose is rather beautiful. However, I'm wondering if there is other literature that is a bit less dense that still deals with the concepts of eternal recurrence, the superman and other Nietzsche-esque ideas. I've already read and enjoyed much of Thomas Ligotti's nonfiction book The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, which is what originally turned me on to Nietzsche.

Basically I'm looking for a more digestible Nietzsche.

Alfred Hitchcock's Rope deals with the superman concept and is excellent viewing besides, if a film recommendation is okay.

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for good fish-out-of-water books, where a character is faced with a huge difference in culture. POV can be the protagonist or not, genre not terribly important. Some examples would be things as varied as Shogun, I'm A Stranger Here Myself, Stranger in a Strange Land, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
If I have any preference, it would be for a "stranger" coming to the US in modern times. So the second and third books on my list would be the best examples.
Time travel, aliens, non-genre fiction with a foreign character, any of those are fine as long as a main part of the premise is dealing with the strange, foreign culture the character is set into.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if you haven't already read it, and PKD's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said both have something of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

terrorist plumber posted:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, if you haven't already read it, and PKD's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said both have something of this.

Read the former but not the latter. Thanks for the recommendation!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

skrath posted:

Seconding this request; I just finished Spillover and it was one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read, hands down.

Not epidemiology, but if you're looking for general biology written in an interesting way Genome by Matt Ridley is good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bazanga posted:

It's funny you mention that because that was one of those books I read as a teenager and couldn't put it down until I finished it.

Ordered both of these ("Guard! Guards!" and "The Stars My Destination.") Thanks for the suggestions, both look great.

I'll have to check it out. The movies were entertaining and I figured the books might be a good read. I'm not looking for high literature or anything, just something to reignite the reading bug.

Thanks!

A book I read a long time ago that was a total page-turner is The Descent by Jeff Long. It has a crazy premise and has a lot of dumb thriller novel type stuff in it, but it was a great read and you can just fly right through it. Describing the book's plot is hard because it's so crazy, so just check out the Amazon page to see if you'd be interested: http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Jeff-Long/dp/051513175X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388473195&sr=1-1&keywords=descent

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I'm looking for a book (or series) that is about a gigantic wall (not ASoIaF) and a bunch of civilizations that live on it or something like that. I heard about it a while back and cant remember the name.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

I'm looking for a book (or series) that is about a gigantic wall (not ASoIaF) and a bunch of civilizations that live on it or something like that. I heard about it a while back and cant remember the name.

This is a stretch given your description, but perhaps Kingdoms of the Wall?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

snooman posted:

This is a stretch given your description, but perhaps Kingdoms of the Wall?

Likely _Stone and Sky_.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Likely _Stone and Sky_.

That's the one. Thanks. Is it any good?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Looking for any books with villains as the protagonist, or something along those lines. For reference, I just finished Villains by Necessity. It was okay, felt like it could've used a rewrite at times, but it left me wanting to read more books that focus on the bad guys instead of the heroes. Preferably fantasy or sci-fi.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Looking for any books with villains as the protagonist, or something along those lines. For reference, I just finished Villains by Necessity. It was okay, felt like it could've used a rewrite at times, but it left me wanting to read more books that focus on the bad guys instead of the heroes. Preferably fantasy or sci-fi.

I highly recommend Tanith Lee's The Flat-Earth Cycle, which can be found in a print omnibus edition called Tales From the Flat Earth. (e: There are two omnibus books: Lords of Darkness and Night's Mistress) My only collector's item is a signed, limited edition of Night's Master.

The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock - If you haven't read that already.

Orcs - by Stan Nichols (I think - I'll check the book and revise if that's wrong.)

The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence.

another edit: http://www.newcitylibrary.org/node/1656

snooman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 3, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TommyGun85 posted:

That's the one. Thanks. Is it any good?

I haven't actually read my copy yet. The third volume was very hard to find, though I did get it eventually.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Brainamp posted:

The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

RCarr posted:

Are there any must-read fantasy books? I'm looking along the lines of The Hobbit, LoTR, aSoIaF, Raymond Feist (I read these when I was like 13, don't judge me). I don't know if that's considered high fantasy or what, I just know I like to read good stories about swords and dragons and magic and elves.

My first proper introduction to fantasy was David Eddings' Belgariad and the Sparhawk books.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im in the mood for an adventurous, life-affirming, enlightening book. Fiction or non. World travel, the beauty of life and whatnot. Thanks.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

jimcunningham posted:

Im in the mood for an adventurous, life-affirming, enlightening book. Fiction or non. World travel, the beauty of life and whatnot. Thanks.

Have you read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jabronie posted:

Have you read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse?

No. I heard its incredibly hard to read.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Can anyone recommended books from Amazon's "Kindle Owners Lending Library"? I'm cheap, so I like to utilize the free book you get each month with your prime membership. There's a lot of crappy self-published erotica to sort through, but there appear to be some hidden gems. I tend to prefer books about nature/adventure (Steinbeck, Krakauer, Thoreau etc), but I'm open to pretty much all genres (except crappy self-published erotica). I'm not sure if a lending library specific thread would be useful, so for now I'll just post this here.

To get the ball rolling, here are the last few free books I've read out of the lending library:
-"Sky of Red Poppies" by Zohreh Ghahremani
-"Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street " by Michael Lewis
-"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen
-"AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" by David Miller

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Brainamp posted:

I'm into this also and I was happy with the trilogy http://www.amazon.com/Heresy-Within-Book-Ties-that-ebook/dp/B00CCWWTYY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1388906486&sr=1-1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Whoever I talked with on here a little while back about Connie Willis and To Say Nothing of the Dog, thanks a bunch for getting me to try it again; it was great, especially for a reformed english major like me, and Doomsday Book was the single best science fiction novel I've read in at least the past year if not longer.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

jimcunningham posted:

No. I heard its incredibly hard to read.

It isn't, but it didn't work for me. I guess I'm not the type of romantic for this kind of book.

I would go for Sputnik Sweetheart by Murakami. It's basically a magical realist (in the way only Murakami does it) love story. It is the first book I think of when someone asks for something sweet and life-affirming.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Brainamp posted:

I wouldn't call them great, rereadable books but KJ Parker's Engineer Trilogy is kind of along these lines. The protagonist (and every single other character but one) is such an incredible rear end in a top hat throughout but you keep reading out of a sort of morbid fascination. And I'll say this for KJ - nobody escapes their proper karmic retribution in the end.

Nohearum posted:

Can anyone recommended books from Amazon's "Kindle Owners Lending Library"? I'm cheap, so I like to utilize the free book you get each month with your prime membership. There's a lot of crappy self-published erotica to sort through, but there appear to be some hidden gems. I tend to prefer books about nature/adventure (Steinbeck, Krakauer, Thoreau etc), but I'm open to pretty much all genres (except crappy self-published erotica). I'm not sure if a lending library specific thread would be useful, so for now I'll just post this here.

To get the ball rolling, here are the last few free books I've read out of the lending library:
-"Sky of Red Poppies" by Zohreh Ghahremani
-"Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street " by Michael Lewis
-"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen
-"AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" by David Miller

Hey I have crappy self-published non-erotica! I'm looking through the books I own though and weirdly few of them seem to be in the lending library (read: none so far).

Edit: BBCode is hard

Daetrin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 5, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nohearum posted:

Can anyone recommended books from Amazon's "Kindle Owners Lending Library"? I'm cheap, so I like to utilize the free book you get each month with your prime membership.

Aurthur C. Clarke and Kurt Vonnegut. I think their whole libraries are on there, and you can't go wrong with either. I currently have "The Deep Range", but I bought "Childrenhood's end" and liked it. Rendezvous for Rama has also been recommended to me.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Fremry posted:

I think their whole libraries are on there

You mean oeuvres

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Joramun posted:

You mean oeuvres

Yeah, that thing.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I just finished Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie and very much enjoyed it even if it took some getting used to the fact the main character, at times, was a single "consciousness" spread throughout a great number of "individuals".

I've read all of Iain M Banks, Alastair Reynolds, and Peter F Hamilton but I'm wondering if there are any other good novels which deal with advanced humanity, AI and political/alien intrigue?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I just finished Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie and very much enjoyed it even if it took some getting used to the fact the main character, at times, was a single "consciousness" spread throughout a great number of "individuals".

I've read all of Iain M Banks, Alastair Reynolds, and Peter F Hamilton but I'm wondering if there are any other good novels which deal with advanced humanity, AI and political/alien intrigue?

You should probably check out Robert J. Sawyer, although his stuff sometimes feels like it should've been cut off at novella length. The best AI themed novel, in my opinion, is Ian McDonald's River of Gods, although it's more cyberpunk than the type of sci-fi you're looking for.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

WastedJoker posted:

I loved the idea and thought it was very well-executed- imagine reading an advance copy with no idea about what was going on, though! As for the request, I know I bring him up all the time, but check out David Marusek. No aliens, but lots to do with AI, advanced humanity, and cloning.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am reading Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace, and What's Not To Love by Jonathan Ames I love both of these books. I am reading most of Ames's stuff and loving it and this is the first book I have read by David Foster Wallace. What else would you guys recommend in this same vein. Ames is a little more personal where as the Wallace stuff seems like interesting essays. Thanks!

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 7, 2014

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any recommendations for a book set in the D&D universe and available as a Kindle ebook? I loved the Drizzt books as a teenager and although I'm sure I'd find those books awful now I recently found the idea of reading an actual good book in that setting very appealing.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Does anyone know of any good fiction (heck, any good non-fiction, even) about Roman/Eastern Roman chariot racing? I feel like there's some HIGH OCTANE THRILL-RIDE CHARIOT RACING out there that I just haven't found yet.

Ben-Hur is not allowed to this party.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

I loved the idea and thought it was very well-executed- imagine reading an advance copy with no idea about what was going on, though! As for the request, I know I bring him up all the time, but check out David Marusek. No aliens, but lots to do with AI, advanced humanity, and cloning.

Oh it would've been a nightmare. I found it a little weird because I thought I was seeing things through a female protagonist for most of the book then I realised the AI was effectively genderless. I can't say for sure whether that was author design or simply my stupid lizard brain making assumptions.

mcustic posted:

You should probably check out Robert J. Sawyer, although his stuff sometimes feels like it should've been cut off at novella length. The best AI themed novel, in my opinion, is Ian McDonald's River of Gods, although it's more cyberpunk than the type of sci-fi you're looking for.

river of Gods rings a bell so it might be on my goodreads recommendation list.

Cheers both, will give them a look.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

terre packet posted:

Any recommendations for a book set in the D&D universe and available as a Kindle ebook? I loved the Drizzt books as a teenager and although I'm sure I'd find those books awful now I recently found the idea of reading an actual good book in that setting very appealing.

I read a bunch of that sort of stuff as a young gamer nerd 20+ years ago but I'm sure it was all horrible. (The only official gaming tie-in books I read back in the day which I would still recommend were some of those published by Games Workshop, i.e. the Warhammer/40K people; especially anything written by "Jack Yeovil" because that's a pen name for Kim Newman and he rules. But that's not exactly D&D anymore.)

Maybe your best bet would be The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, unless memory is playing tricks on me that's still pretty well-written and it's basically D&D with the serial numbers badly filed off.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Brainamp posted:

I've probably recommended this before, but Soon I Will Be Invincible is about 50/50 written from the villain's perspective. It's a bespoke 'comic book / superhero' setting, and the villain really should get his own TV series - think The Monarch from Venture Bros, but more realistic.

I wouldn't call him the protagonist per se, but neither he is a completely obvious Hitler-level clone to be despised.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Groke posted:

I read a bunch of that sort of stuff as a young gamer nerd 20+ years ago but I'm sure it was all horrible. (The only official gaming tie-in books I read back in the day which I would still recommend were some of those published by Games Workshop, i.e. the Warhammer/40K people; especially anything written by "Jack Yeovil" because that's a pen name for Kim Newman and he rules. But that's not exactly D&D anymore.)

Maybe your best bet would be The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, unless memory is playing tricks on me that's still pretty well-written and it's basically D&D with the serial numbers badly filed off.

Yeah, the Paksenarrion books are basically the story of Elizabeth Moon's 1st Edition AD&D Paladin, just without the words "__ cast Featherfall" ever explicitly showing up. For explicit licensed AD&D fiction, the Dragonlance / Krynn series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman might be your best bet.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For explicit licensed AD&D fiction, the Dragonlance / Krynn series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman might be your best bet.

I have fond memories of those from when I was 15 but I don't really want to find out if those memories would survive a reread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Groke posted:

I have fond memories of those from when I was 15 but I don't really want to find out if those memories would survive a reread.

Yeaaaah in that case don't.

Hrm, ok, alternate tactic(s):

You could try the first three Deryni books by Katherine Kurtz. They're not AD&D themed, but they're good 1970's pulp fantasy and (as best I can tell) based pretty heavily on Kurtz's activities with LARP and the Society for Creative Anachronism, and they have a similar sort of feel to a good low-fantasy D&D setting -- no orcs, but knights and heraldry and priests and magic and excommunication.

If you don't mind something less serious, the Jig the Goblin series by Jim C. Hines is a wonderful and affectionate parody of the AD&D setting; the first book, Goblin Quest, is summarized thusly on Amazon:

quote:

When Jig's patrol is ambushed by a group of adventurers, he does what goblins do best: throws down his weapon and surrenders. Thus begins Jig's quest, as the adventurers force him to serve as their guide through the labyrinth of tunnels beneath the mountain. Led by Prince Barius Wendelson, their goal is an ancient magical artifact, hidden here ages past.
As the group moves deeper into the tunnels, Jig finds himself face to face with creatures of goblin legend: ogres, trolls, not to mention the long-dead servants of the dreaded Necromancer, all leading to one final, deadly battle.

To survive, Jig will have to find a way to combine heroism with his own goblin ideals. The result is an unpredictable adventure that will leave readers cheering this unlikeliest of heroes and questioning some of the most basic traditions of fantasy quests.

It's a really fun romp with two sequels and there are lots of jokes that are aimed dead straight on at AD&D veterans.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 8, 2014

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
On the other hand if you want mean-spirited and nasty parody of a typical (not specifically D&D but definitey D&D-ish) setting, try Mary Gentle's Grunts.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Qwo posted:

Does anyone know of any good fiction (heck, any good non-fiction, even) about Roman/Eastern Roman chariot racing? I feel like there's some HIGH OCTANE THRILL-RIDE CHARIOT RACING out there that I just haven't found yet.

Ben-Hur is not allowed to this party.

Guy Gavriel Kay's Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors take place in a fantasy analogue of the Byzantine Empire, and while chariot racing isn't the central focus of the series, it does play a prominent role featuring some great race sequences.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm looking for a good modern history of Iran, something encompassing the 1953 coup, the Islamic Revolution and the Iran-Iraq war. Specific books on the said subjects would also be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

mcustic posted:

I'm looking for a good modern history of Iran, something encompassing the 1953 coup, the Islamic Revolution and the Iran-Iraq war. Specific books on the said subjects would also be welcome.

I read and enjoyed Modern Iran: Roots and Results of Revolution by Nikki Keddie. But you may look at the works of Ervand Abrahamian, who is a specialist in modern Iranian history and has a bunch of books on the topic.