Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Not familiar with those characters myself, but I can tell you that it's upside down in that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006

made of bees posted:

Looks like Korean. The first block is "bbeu" But I can't make sense of the rest of it. It sure as hell doesn't sound anything like "Shawn", though.

Im pretty sure its chinese, orientation might be off as usual. Korean usually have round characters.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Looks like B B C.

Big Black Cock.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sforzacio posted:

Looks like B B C.

Big Black Cock.

Oh, you. Is there anything that doesn't look like bbc to you?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Getimmaaw posted:

Im pretty sure its chinese, orientation might be off as usual. Korean usually have round characters.

Haha, but it does appear that second character 丽 means Korea in Chinese. Though it's pronounced , so I dunno, doesn't appear to be Shawn. And I can't suss the first one aside from the radical 勹.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Getimmaaw posted:

Need help my fellow goons. My friends tattoo, and we were trying to figure out what it says. She says it says Shawn (she asked me to find out if it really says that)? I hope it does, but I doubt it.

The short answer is that unless your friend is fluent in the language and drew the symbols herself then it doesn't say what it's supposed to say. There's a very good chance that it doesn't say anything at all and the symbols are gibberish or that the grammar is all screwed up or they used the wrong symbols in the wrong places.

deedee megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Jan 9, 2014

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
I had a friend look at the picture. Something like blood friend or something. Oh well. Might as well say nachos.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

The picture being the right way up might help others.

The closest approximation I could find was 向明, which makes little to no sense. This way, it could mean the direction of the rising sun, but Japanese and written Chinese are two very different beasts. :shrug:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ahh.. that first character is probably supposed to be 闪, pronounced shǎn. Second still looks like 丽 to me though.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Jan 9, 2014

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for all the responses!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Is it upside down/backwards? I thought Korean was blockier, but it's not like I have any knowledge of Korean, so I could be completely wrong.

Fake edit: Haha. Knew it was upside down. :)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

I guess if God wanted to turn you into fudge, he could.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

God and Fudge Fudy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A lot of people bend over backwards to misread tattoos, but that really does look like "fudge". That is "fudge".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A lot of people bend over backwards to misread tattoos, but that really does look like "fudge". That is "fudge".

That's not supposed to be Fudge? What a terrible script.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think they were trying to do a really ornate lower loop on the J from what I see. Until somebody fudged it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Frostwerks posted:

I think they were trying to do a really ornate lower loop on the J from what I see. Until somebody fudged it.

But, that's not even how a capital cursive J looks. Like, at all. That is clearly a capital F. A Cursive J has two loops. There is no crossed line on top.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Um, I know. The lower loop sticking out on the right completes the bottom horizontal of the F and had they not hosed up the top I could see how it would look kinda sorta like a J.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I write in cursive and sometimes students make fun of it. One time they tried to write in it, and the end result was something similar to that- basically printing with lots of flowery loops and stuff because they couldn't remember how you were supposed to make letters.

Just imagine how often that person has to explain their tattoo on a daily basis. It's so bizarre that I bet strangers ask about it in line for coffee.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Have you guys not considered the idea that maybe she works in a bakery that makes fudge? :colbert:

Fake edit: Fudgery? Fudgeteria? Fudge-house?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Captain Trips posted:

Have you guys not considered the idea that maybe she works in a bakery that makes fudge? :colbert:

Fake edit: Fudgery? Fudgeteria? Fudge-house?

This does remind me of something. Probably 15 years ago or so, we had this gargantuan new mall open in my area. So like just about everyone else we made the long drive out there right after it opened. After walking in for the first time the first store I saw was this boutique called "The Fudgery", which im pretty sure is a chain. Well one of the selling points is that you could watch people make stuff and I remember this guy mixing fudge with this huge wooden paddle, and on his arm he had a tattoo that said HUSTLA in gothic script. Because when I think of people who hustle, I think of someone making fudge at the mall for minimum wage.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

This does remind me of something. Probably 15 years ago or so, we had this gargantuan new mall open in my area. So like just about everyone else we made the long drive out there right after it opened. After walking in for the first time the first store I saw was this boutique called "The Fudgery", which im pretty sure is a chain. Well one of the selling points is that you could watch people make stuff and I remember this guy mixing fudge with this huge wooden paddle, and on his arm he had a tattoo that said HUSTLA in gothic script. Because when I think of people who hustle, I think of someone making fudge at the mall for minimum wage.

I'm betting dollars to donuts this is Great Lakes Crossing.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Man, this thread just reinforces my desire to get a tat for the Chinese symbol for "General Tso's Chicken" and then take it around to people who can read it and tell them it means "love and water" and see if they have the heart to break it to me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm thinking it might just be possible that it's a joke tattoo, both because it's a silly pun and likely also that fudge can be slang for butt-gently caress. :rolleyes:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good Gad! It happened twice!

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

It must be true then!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

rockcity posted:

I'm betting dollars to donuts this is Great Lakes Crossing.

You would be correct, and I dont think ive even been there in over a decade

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I don't know poo poo about the technical side of tattoo art but I like this stupid tattoo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Frostwerks posted:

I don't know poo poo about the technical side of tattoo art but I like this stupid tattoo.

Would you get a picture of Hitler?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hitler loved his pictures.

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can't tell if sarcasm or ....

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

You would be correct, and I dont think ive even been there in over a decade

That place also had really good fudge oddly enough. I always laughed at the name though.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

I almost thought this was okay until I realized that there's no goddamn hyphen between "Spider" and "Man." Of course, that's rather tame when compared to some of the other tattoo-related grammatical issues present in this thread.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

I almost thought this was okay until I realized that there's no goddamn hyphen between "Spider" and "Man." Of course, that's rather tame when compared to some of the other tattoo-related grammatical issues present in this thread.

There was no hyphen originally. :eng101:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Trips posted:

There was no hyphen originally. :eng101:

Look at the lettering in the speech bubble.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hitler? It's quite clearly Groucho Marx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Hitler? It's quite clearly Groucho Marx.

I never understood why Hitler was part of the Spiderman cast.

• Locked thread