Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MikeJF posted:

I believe they devolve into the plasmic blob form after the torturer drains the energy out of their soul.

You'd think less people would be evil in D&D with such a horrific confirmed afterlife awaiting them.

Maybe they think any such preaching is just a load of crap, mortals in the setting have only a vague idea of what awaits in hell, etc.?

Or they think they're skilled enough to avoid that particular possible afterlife, either by fighting their way out or impressing whoever's in charge by merit of whatever they did in life to warrant being sent to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Regalingualius posted:

Maybe they think any such preaching is just a load of crap, mortals in the setting have only a vague idea of what awaits in hell, etc.?

Or they think they're skilled enough to avoid that particular possible afterlife, either by fighting their way out or impressing whoever's in charge by merit of whatever they did in life to warrant being sent to hell.

"Oh, you poor dumb elf. Don't you get it? Be a vampire, or a ghost, or an immortal with a paint-by-numbers portrait in the rec room. Hell, even a brain-in-a-jar, in a pinch. Anything to avoid the Big Fire Below. So what this tells me is you're channeling the "raw unlimited energies" of two chumps who didn't have the balls to stay in the game!"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MikeJF posted:

I believe they devolve into the plasmic blob form after the torturer drains the energy out of their soul.

You'd think less people would be evil in D&D with such a horrific confirmed afterlife awaiting them.

Well, you'd think less people would be Evil without worshipping an Evil deity at least. Worshipping an Evil god can still get you out of the lemure treatment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

See this is why I liked 4e's approach of "nobody knows what the gently caress happens after death, except maybe one Goddess, and she ain't talking". Unless you sign your soul over to a devil or became exalted, your soul just goes "somewhere", so the lack of piety and righteousness becomes a lot more believable.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lurdiak posted:

See this is why I liked 4e's approach of "nobody knows what the gently caress happens after death, except maybe one Goddess, and she ain't talking". Unless you sign your soul over to a devil or became exalted, your soul just goes "somewhere", so the lack of piety and righteousness becomes a lot more believable.

You can like that if you want. I always liked the explicitly of 2.0-3.5 metaphysics. It gave you a big toolbox to write with, and when you disliked it, you ignored it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ikanreed posted:

You can like that if you want. I always liked the explicitly of 2.0-3.5 metaphysics. It gave you a big toolbox to write with, and when you disliked it, you ignored it.

I always saw it as the kind of self-indulgent worldbuilding that restricts more than it enchants that earlier editions and certain settings are plagued with. I mean look at this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I always saw it as the kind of self-indulgent worldbuilding that restricts more than it enchants that earlier editions and certain settings are plagued with. I mean look at this.

Everything in there is ten times better than 4e's "the planes are just a big mush of whatever. Who gives a gently caress".

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Because there's an enormous economic system generating beings of pure evil and sending them to the prime material plane to tempt humans.

D&D Cosmology goes something like this.

Mortals were misbehaving. Demons kept showing up and offering wild monkey sex, drugs, and arson, and the gods were offering quiet lives in supplication and prayer, because early on the gods were dumbasses. Nearly everyone was as wild as the demons.

Asmodeus, an angel who had spent a few hundred million years killing demons and now looked like a big scary monster that all the gods hated, invented punishment, which was basically the idea that you take mortals who are bad, and you torture them for eternity after it's too late for them to change their ways. The gods think this is a rad idea, because the alternative is actually disciplining their children and they can't be bothered.

So As modeus begins torturing mortal souls up in heaven. Everyone's all, yo Asmodeus, do you have to do that here, you're getting blood everywhere. He says, Oh, I can do it over there in Baator, but I'm just an angel and I can't function without being fueled by the power of the gods, and I kind of suspect once I set up a torture charnel house over there you'll stop visiting me. How about you give me the power to draw energy from the damned, and I'll use that energy to run hell? The gods decide this is a great idea, sign a contract, and then throw Asmodeus at Baator so hard he smashes through all nine levels and is wounded so severely he never heals, which seems churlish to me.

Eons later, the gods notice that not very many people are going to heaven any more. So they drop in on Asmodeus, and hell is enormous, filled with huge populations of the tormented dead and devils created by the energy released from their suffering. Devils keep leaving hell to go to the prime material plane and tempt mortals (who are nearly as dumb as the gods) to turn to evil, and then those souls fuel the creation of more devils to spread more evil. The gods are all like, what happened to using punishment to keeping the mortals in like by torturing them in a place that 99.99% of them will never see? And Asmodeus replied, you morons, you incentivized me to do a lovely job! I bet breaking a plane of reality on my face doesn't seem like such a hot idea now, does it?

TL;DR, Evil triumphs when Good can't be bothered to get off the loving couch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In my campaign cosmology, for every week you spend adhering to a "good" alignment, the gods materialize you one free T-shirt(that lasts a week). The whole realm descended into a shirts vs skins B-Ball match but the system works.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

In my campaign cosmology, for every week you spend adhering to a "good" alignment, the gods materialize you one free T-shirt(that lasts a week). The whole realm descended into a shirts vs skins B-Ball match but the system works.

CHAOS DUNK!!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

greatn posted:

The exchange of Augustus the Saintly for Worthington the Dickish worked out better for the shirts since Worthington knows how to play dirty.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

This is interestingly enough more how Dragonlance I think does things. After you die the god of death judges whether you get to move on, and go to parts unknown to even the gods (because that's their curse, they can't move on from their duties and explore the cosmos) with your particular individual god getting to intervene on your behalf if they have reasons.

It was kinda cool and nifty because there was still that element of mystery to the setting even 200 books later.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

CHAOS DUNK!!

The law/chaos axis in this setting is just a war between the Dunk Monks and the Ball-barians

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Eox posted:

The law/chaos axis in this setting is just a war between the Dunk Monks and the Ball-barians

Good wizards use the purer but less prevalent jamacite, while defilers use the corrupting, life draining, but easier to obtain slamacite.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Is somebody running this? Because I need to play it.

NEED TO

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Mix it with Muscle Wizards and you've got an entirely viable setting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Referees channel the divine power of the sacred Rules, and even the most powerful Slam Monks or Ball-Barian fears their power to hit them with a Foul.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Where do cyberdwarves and wizards fit in?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Cyberdwarves are both a race and a class. So while obviously all Cyberdwarves are Cyberdwarves, not all Cyberdwarves are Cyberdwarves.

-edit-

Wizards are, of course, wizards. Most commonly the aforementioned muscle wizards.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This discussion indicates it's been entirely too long since an update, and obviously beards make perfect neural interfaces.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone type up a post on Trad Games for BSUaJ:G d20.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Who What Now posted:

Someone type up a post on Trad Games for BSUaJ:G d20.
I'm actually tempted. I think I'm gonna do something with this. I'll drop it into a more fitting thread and link it when I do.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

What I dislike most about it is how neatly everything slots together. There's no asymmetry: every combination of element+element is a plane; every combination of element + positive/negative is a plane. Having planes that match together and fit a cosmology seems to have been a higher priority than creating planes that are unique and evocative and full of plot hooks.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Honestly, that's what I liked about the old cosmology. The symmetry (with occasional weird outgrowths) made the universe feel like some sort of old, mythic astrology. Then again, I usually treated the planes as flavor and to explain where things came from or occasionally for cool oddball locations like Sigil. They themselves didn't need to be brimming with plot hooks, beyond being the origin point for strange and supernatural beings.

Sure, nobody cares about the spinward demi-plane where the plane of fire brushes the plane of air and creates a plane full of smoke, or what have you, but you're probably not going to go there. It just exists as a function of the kooky-complex system of rules that held the universe together. And if anything, having these absurd pockets and symmetries could result in some fun and unexpected outcomes or solutions to problems.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Leaving the Edition Warring aside, Chris Sims wrote a great little essay about this arc over on ComicsAlliance.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Warning: this thread is canon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

A.o.D. posted:

Warning: this thread is canon.

What is this post about?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ikanreed posted:

What is this post about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BbaxIhaQU&t=25s

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

I hope that I too will leave in the post-cyberpocalyptic ruins of Neo-New York name my son Hoopz. Maybe this is Elan's happy ending!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In the next 40 years we build a new city called Neo New York, and then immediately let it fall into ruins? It must have been a Seastead or something like Victory City. Libertarians! :argh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

What is this post about?

This post is not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only true DOOM-MURDER HEADS.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

In the next 40 years we build a new city called Neo New York, and then immediately let it fall into ruins?

And then I imagine we get right to building Novo Neo New York.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Triple Elation posted:

And then I imagine we get right to building Novo Neo New York.

Nope, then it's right to Tir Na Nog and Necron 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhtL2I6ny4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaG3_Wht7Y0

Can you escape Cuchulain's grasp?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ikanreed posted:

You see that is just your nostalgia talking because 3.5E metaphysics was just as confusing and wishy washy as you claim 4E was. Namely because at that point you could tell that they were abandoning the great wheel cosmology and just tossing out interesting suggestions.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 10, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Explicit metaphysics and cosmology is all well and good until you sit down to play and decide to do something different this time, and discover that one player has committed the Great Wheel to memory and cannot be made to not take it as part of the game on the same level as "your attack roll is 1d20+5."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Explicit metaphysics and cosmology is all well and good until you sit down to play and decide to do something different this time, and discover that one player has committed the Great Wheel to memory and cannot be made to not take it as part of the game on the same level as "your attack roll is 1d20+5."

How dare you oppress my imaginary religion. :spergin: The great wheel is real.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The best part was when the obsessive Great Wheel pattern-completion combined with groggy 2E AD&D rules to create abominations like this page:

Reading Planescape manuals is always an odd experience - they veer rapidly from distilled awesomeness that gives you a dozen adventure ideas every page, to utterly pointless garbage that you can't imagine anyone would want to actually play, with very little inbetween.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's not the rule's fault. And I don't care what anyone says, turning the planes into a big congealed blob of disappointing poo poo was the worst part of 4e. For the longest time there weren't even real Elementals to fight, just Cindernados and Slurryslammers or whatever.

I just wanted to punch a dude made of fire, that's not too much to ask!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Who What Now posted:

That's not the rule's fault. And I don't care what anyone says, turning the planes into a big congealed blob of disappointing poo poo was the worst part of 4e. For the longest time there weren't even real Elementals to fight, just Cindernados and Slurryslammers or whatever.

Just use the Great Wheel with 4E, problem solved. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Who What Now posted:

Then just make the Cindernados big Lava men? Or just use the Great wheel in 4e. You can actually use whatever you want! Most of my games used Eberrons setting and cosmology even before 4e Eberron came out.