Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NihilCredo posted:

The best part was when the obsessive Great Wheel pattern-completion combined with groggy 2E AD&D rules to create abominations like this page:

Reading Planescape manuals is always an odd experience - they veer rapidly from distilled awesomeness that gives you a dozen adventure ideas every page, to utterly pointless garbage that you can't imagine anyone would want to actually play, with very little inbetween.

What do you even do in the plane of Salt? And is it just the plane of Sodium Chloride, or are there all sorts of salts there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Angela Christine posted:

What do you even do in the plane of Salt?

Die from acute hypertension, I'd imagine

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Angela Christine posted:

What do you even do in the plane of Salt? And is it just the plane of Sodium Chloride, or are there all sorts of salts there?

Steal the ground and become an interplanar drug dealer with a focus on getting blood elementals high. :)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ConfusedUs posted:

Steal the ground and become an interplanar drug dealer with a focus on getting blood elementals high. :)

Man you do not want the salt from where it mixes with pandemonium, that poo poo'll gently caress you up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Man you do not want the salt from where it mixes with pandemonium, that poo poo'll gently caress you up.

I know a guy who'll pay in astral diamonds for that poo poo. There's a market.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Angela Christine posted:

According to the book, the Doomguard keeps a fortified citadel there for completely unspecified reasons (as it does in the other three "negative energy + element" planes). Other than that, "there are no known creatures on this plane other than the salt mephits".

Basically, asides from those conveniently obsessed Sigil factions, the only reasonable plot hook that will ever make you want to visit an Inner Plane is "a powerful wizard has decided to store the MacGuffin in a particularly hazardous and hard-to-reach place". They're big endless cosmic traps, except for the quasielemental plane of Ranch Dressing of course.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

NihilCredo posted:

Basically, asides from those conveniently obsessed Sigil factions, the only reasonable plot hook that will ever make you want to visit an Inner Plane is "a powerful wizard has decided to store the MacGuffin in a particularly hazardous and hard-to-reach place".
He said, directly after three posts detailing an awesome interplanar drug ring that uses the Inner Planes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

CapnAndy posted:

He said, directly after three posts detailing an awesome interplanar drug ring that uses the Inner Planes.

Well yeah, but getting the salts wouldn't be the interesting part of the adventure, would it? If your campaign revolves around diamond smuggling, you're not going to make your players spend whole sessions rolling d100s to dig around in a mine shaft.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

NihilCredo posted:

The best part was when the obsessive Great Wheel pattern-completion combined with groggy 2E AD&D rules to create abominations like this page:

The fact that they use a greater than symbol to represent power being diminished fills me with more rage than I care to admit. :eng99:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I would legitimately like to play a game where everyone's part of a planar salt-selling drug cartel.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

ConfusedUs posted:

I would legitimately like to play a game where everyone's part of a planar salt-selling drug cartel.

I actually ran this. When the Modrons finally caught up to them, the PCs had to dump their entire shipment in the Elemental Plane of Water. :(

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

NihilCredo posted:

Well yeah, but getting the salts wouldn't be the interesting part of the adventure, would it? If your campaign revolves around diamond smuggling, you're not going to make your players spend whole sessions rolling d100s to dig around in a mine shaft.

Since dnd is purely an exercise in imagination, if getting salts from the elemental plane of salt is boring, you have no one but yourself to blame.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZnCu posted:

I actually ran this. When the Modrons finally caught up to them, the PCs had to dump their entire shipment in the Elemental Plane of Water. :(

loving killjoy Modrons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"Oh hey, there's a demiplane of smoke? Man, it'd be really easy to hide something there"
--- About a million mages over the centuries

There's a ton of possibilities there. Off the top of my head: have your adventuring party blunder into some ancient superweapon that couldn't be destroyed and was too dangerous to leave lying around, so its creators stuck it away because gently caress it, what are the odds of someone coming to the stupidest, most boring demiplane around and hitting just that exact location?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Who What Now posted:

That's not the rule's fault. And I don't care what anyone says, turning the planes into a big congealed blob of disappointing poo poo was the worst part of 4e. For the longest time there weren't even real Elementals to fight, just Cindernados and Slurryslammers or whatever.

I just wanted to punch a dude made of fire, that's not too much to ask!

Even putting aside the fact that 4e's archons were clearly designed to fill the strictly defined elemental soldier niche you're bemoaning the loss of, I hardly think what amounts to Storm and Lava elementals are useless, and complaining about things that weren't in an edition when it had only 3 books out is pretty loving stupid. Are you one of those people who lost their mind because the Bard wasn't in the first PHB?

CapnAndy posted:

"Oh hey, there's a demiplane of smoke? Man, it'd be really easy to hide something there"

There's a ton of possibilities there. Off the top of my head: have your adventuring party blunder into some ancient superweapon that couldn't be destroyed and was too dangerous to leave lying around, so its creators stuck it away because gently caress it, what are the odds of someone coming to the stupidest, most boring demiplane around and hitting just that exact location?

I just don't see how not having strictly defined dumb cosmology with planes of salt but instead an infinite roiling plane of chaotic elements intertwining violently in a constant dance of destruction and creation with islands of stability precludes any of that. The city of Brass is still there, and it's still mostly made of fire. It's just, there's things beside fire there, now.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 11, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

Bonus points if your adventuring party is full of self-centered assholes, like the cast of Archer.

This all sounds like so much fun.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oooh, I've got another one!

People in Hell want ice water. Wouldn't you like to be one of the groups that gets it to them, making dangerous runs in your interplanar smuggling ship past the Infernal Authorities? If you're really slick you can make extended stays, maintaining a speakeasy with controlled portals to the Plane of Water until the inevitable raids!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember they added a bunch of rules about Dark Sun being separate from the cosmos to prevent pcs from selling water their.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ConfusedUs posted:

Bonus points if your adventuring party is full of self-centered assholes, like the cast of Archer.

This all sounds like so much fun.

Guys stop making me want to play in a game of extra planar moonshiners/drug dealers/etc :(

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Guys stop making me want to play in a game of extra planar moonshiners/drug dealers/etc :(

In my game I'm DMing (new nerd levelup for me I guess?) I have been straight with the players that they may very well fail in their mission utterly and completely and barely be able to escape alive. What I haven't told them yet is that I've given them an out of becoming interplanar smugglers at any moment. It's going to be so fun when if they fail in their primary quest and realize what they have to get to be then.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember they added a bunch of rules about Dark Sun being separate from the cosmos to prevent pcs from selling water their.

I remember reading a funny story in one of the 2nd or 3rd edition books about a group of Githyanki who figured out how to open a portal to Athas. They took one look at the wasted hellscape filled with hordes of psychic abominations and no resources to speak of, turned around, sealed the portal and tried to forget the whole thing ever happened.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I went to Citadel Cavitus and all I got was this T-Shirt and crippling negative levels.

ZnCu posted:

Great Wheel cosmology: Validated.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

One of my favorite games ever was one where all the players played a family of inbred githyanki living in a part of the Astral plane that was influenced by the planes of water and earth, and our own subconsciouses, turning it into an Astral Swamp.

And let me tell you, playing magical bayou hillbilly moonshiners was awesome as gently caress.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Inner planar spacejammers: Smugglers of the plane of Salt and Slam derail pairing is my favorite derail ever.

I always found Planescape the most interesting of D&D settings to read about simply because the clear organization makes you wonder how they divvied up the planes in the collaborative effort or over the process. It's totally true that several of the planes sound really lame, though I'm sure that's subjective, but the clear delineation makes it sort of neat to wonder how it got put together.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Who What Now posted:

One of my favorite games ever was one where all the players played a family of inbred githyanki living in a part of the Astral plane that was influenced by the planes of water and earth, and our own subconsciouses, turning it into an Astral Swamp.

And let me tell you, playing magical bayou hillbilly moonshiners was awesome as gently caress.

Ahahahaahahahahahaha. Oh, maaan.

This is what makes me love fantasy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Speedball posted:

You haven't lived until you've gotten drunk and gone mudding in a modified Apparatus of Kwalish.

-EDIT-

We called it the Mudbug and it was so loving rad.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 11, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Speedball posted:

With very few exceptions I have never read a "serious" fantasy story that was anywhere near as creative, engaging, and well-crafted as one that's just plain ridiculous.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nope. In one of the books Monte Cook wrote in the later days of Planescape's run was effectively a plot point about how people from Dark Sun do make their way into the greater cosmology. Its just not a regular occurrence. In fact he actually uses the example of water within the book.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
New strip!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0937.html

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Rich doesn't always reference memes...

But when he does, it's somehow amusing.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Blackwing continues to be hilarious.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
I love Elan's humbleness. When Roy asks what happened his response was "It was nothing Hayley and V couldn't handle"Even though he didn't od all that much, he did have to do what was probably the hardest thing there, in giving up entirely on his dad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Julio continues to rule.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate how the Mechane flies at the speed of plot.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
That last panel is glorious. Julio Scondrél is now my favorite NPC in the strip. :allears:

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

W.T. Fits posted:

That last panel is glorious. Julio Scondrél is now my favorite NPC in the strip. :allears:

I enjoyed this strip too. I haven't been part of the "Jesus Christ when will this arc end and Tarquin gently caress off" crew but it was nice to have a strip just full of jokes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Remarkably forward-thinking that Julio's dentist doesn't have glass in their windows.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Remarkably forward-thinking that Julio's dentist doesn't have glass in their windows.

I'm sure after the first visit they just decided not to replace the window.

Also I love the idea of an airship's top speed is literally based on how dire the situation is.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Shwqa posted:

I'm sure after the first visit they just decided not to replace the window.

Also I love the idea of an airship's top speed is literally based on how dire the situation is.

A Dashing Swordsman is never late, nor is he early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So we're looking at an eight day head start for Xykon and company to bash in the next gate. It's in a dungeon filled with monsters, so assuming there's no convenient shortcut or end-run Xykon'll have to kill his way through.

It's hard to imagine a buffer of monsters strong enough to fend off an epic-level Lich sorcerer for eight days, so they might even be at the gate by the time the Order makes it there.