Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

redreader posted:

I just broke down and read that. Yeah that's super hosed up. What about point 3 in the OP?

Going to jump on this and the controversy is because this episode broke point three. There's parts of Korean culture that are really hosed up. Bullying is pretty common in the workplace and can be quite open and there's a high suicide rate as well (I think it's like the most common form of death for under 40s or something).

The episode touched a raw nerve among it's viewers because most Korean reality/variety shows are primarily focused on the viewers entertainment and provide comedic relief (instead of say human drama) as well as a sort of alternate reality where everybody is nice to each other and it's all fun and games after the backstabbing is done. It's why people like Hong Chul constantly state out loud how they're feeling or explain what he's doing for the audience. Hong Chul will cheat in the game without a worry but he'll never outright break social conventions or bully someone openly without making it seem like a joke.

Had he got the card, he probably would have traded it back to Doo Hee for garnets or future favours just to keep the show more interesting and friendly.

Instead, we watched a bunch of big name celebrities band together and poo poo on a little guy. There's nothing really that Doo Hee, a non celebrity, could have done to force them to return his card. To top it off, you have incidents like Jiwon befriending and calling him outside the show just so he could backstab him in the game or Sangmin giving him a fake token just to gently caress with him when he's already down. Reality shows like the Genius is one of the only avenues where beginners can break into the entertainment industry so having veterans gently caress with a newcomer beyond the boundaries of the game is pretty mean.

I don't think Doo Hee was ever going to win and he did take the loss much harder than the others probably would have. While this episode would have been okay to a western audience, it broke a lot of Korean/Asian social and cultural conventions which is why there is such a big backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I have to admit that I'm hoping next game ends up with jinho and yohwan with the badge of life, I think that would lead to an interesting situation.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I really think Junghyun is our best hope for defecting from that group as he's seems like a genuinely good person and didn't like what was going on despite it being his team doing it.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Zythrst posted:

I really think Junghyun is our best hope for defecting from that group as he's seems like a genuinely good person and didn't like what was going on despite it being his team doing it.

I want to say Hongchul is also likely to defect, although maybe less out of a sense of honor and more to keep things interesting. He does still treat things like a standard Korean variety show instead of the cutthroat american reality show it's starting to lean towards.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Holy poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha SANGMIN THE MOTHERFUCKING GOD

Honestly Duhee was so pityful throughout the whole thing and yes it does suck that they kinda basically ganged up on him, BUT it was also a lot of it his fault. I mean cmon dude how can you drop your id card, take Sangmin's advice (already knowing that guy is always one step ahead of you with the mind games) and then betraying him. Like he wasn't really confident most of the season, whined a lot (whined about Jaekyun for example) and was just kinda sad. It does suck though that he didn't play the game and it also really sucks that he cried, but man SACK UP its just a game (for money yeah), but there can never truly be a full alliance. Unless you're Jinho because Jinho is legit the nicest dude. Anyways I guess I just didn't like him, but knowing about Korea's social norms and stuff it is messed up. But I'm not Korean, so whatever.

Also other than not having Songgyu, this season is totally better than season 1. Sangmin and Hongchul alone are amazing. Also Yooyoung is a force to be reckoned with. She is going to go very far in this show, she is the dark horse!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
To be fair, Yohwan did enable the big alliance to win with his bomb trade, not the stealing of Dohee's card and Sangmin used his lie-detection super powers on Dohee to decide that he will give him the fake token. But Dohee was really stupid to buy it, because if Sangmin wanted to use the Token to have a SC2-Progamer-Deathmatch his alliance should have made him the looser instead of a untrustworthy nerd.

Going forward Sangmin should be safe until there is a chance for an alliance to win with all/the majority of alliance members gettin immunity, because if Sangmin is the looser, he can choose 2 people to fight it out. Additionally Sangmin is a great person to bring to the finale. He is truly the master of people, but that does not get you much in the end, because to advance he has to betray, which reduces his support from eliminated contestants.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I thought "ooh that's a smart move" when Doohee broke his agreement with Sangmin. And then the fakeout happened, holy poo poo, best moment of the season. God of Acting indeed.

Jiwon's a shithead though for not owning up to his betrayal. "Oh I must have been drunk" gently caress off, the game's already over.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 15, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I didn't realize so many people hated Yooyoung and Jiwon! Haha yes they're cold at heart but so am I. I love the scheming in this show more than the games itself I guess. Seriously Yooyoung loving owns.

Tonfa posted:

I thought "ooh that's a smart move" when Doohee broke his agreement with Sangmin. And then the fakeout happened, holy poo poo, best moment of the season. God of Acting indeed.

Yes. Seriously I couldn't believe it, this is what solidified as Sangmin into God tier status forever. Seriously Duhee is so dumb, even in the death match when everyone is telling you its a bad idea. Its do or die now.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
So yeah, does anyone know the links to Lee Sang-Min's and Jinho's fansites?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I've hated Jiwon since his stupid "what? me??" face when it was revealed he was being targeted by Eunkyul, and realizing that he hadn't done a single interesting thing before that so I didn't actually know who he was. gently caress that uninteresting jackass. Yooyoung has proven to be capable and wasn't holding the ID in any case, not to mention the death match/real life phone call slimeyness was Jiwon again and not her. It's not about ~the rules~ it's about sportsmanship and what makes for enjoyable TV. I'm not watching this show for the super cutthroat dick moves that make grown men tear up, this show has been awesome specifically because the contestants conducted themselves with some degree of class and awareness that it is a TV game show and not a life or death struggle. Duhee being a big baby about it wasn't cool either, but there wasn't anything he could offer to give or do that would be more valuable to Jiwon than Duhee's guaranteed deathmatch placement. Ball was firmly in Jiwon's court and he decided multiple times to be as much of a dick as he could.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Going to jump on this and the controversy is because this episode broke point three. There's parts of Korean culture that are really hosed up. Bullying is pretty common in the workplace and can be quite open and there's a high suicide rate as well (I think it's like the most common form of death for under 40s or something).

The episode touched a raw nerve among it's viewers because most Korean reality/variety shows are primarily focused on the viewers entertainment and provide comedic relief (instead of say human drama) as well as a sort of alternate reality where everybody is nice to each other and it's all fun and games after the backstabbing is done. It's why people like Hong Chul constantly state out loud how they're feeling or explain what he's doing for the audience. Hong Chul will cheat in the game without a worry but he'll never outright break social conventions or bully someone openly without making it seem like a joke.

Had he got the card, he probably would have traded it back to Doo Hee for garnets or future favours just to keep the show more interesting and friendly.

Instead, we watched a bunch of big name celebrities band together and poo poo on a little guy. There's nothing really that Doo Hee, a non celebrity, could have done to force them to return his card. To top it off, you have incidents like Jiwon befriending and calling him outside the show just so he could backstab him in the game or Sangmin giving him a fake token just to gently caress with him when he's already down. Reality shows like the Genius is one of the only avenues where beginners can break into the entertainment industry so having veterans gently caress with a newcomer beyond the boundaries of the game is pretty mean.

I don't think Doo Hee was ever going to win and he did take the loss much harder than the others probably would have. While this episode would have been okay to a western audience, it broke a lot of Korean/Asian social and cultural conventions which is why there is such a big backlash.

I think it's important to remember the cultural differences in what's acceptable in the US vs. Korea. Just because people are fuckers on Survivor doesn't mean we should transfer those expectations to The Genius.

Also, there was really nothing that could be done to rectify the situation. What were they going to do, put someone in a headlock?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 15, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Personally I think in the end it doesn't matter about Jiwon, because I really don't see him getting any further anymore. The 5 man alliance is definitely going to have to break up, but I think they all really want to target Jinho but for real this time.

Like real talk the strongest people on the show right now are Jinho, Sangmin, Hongchul and Yooyoung. Johwan is finally starting to actually do stuff on the show which is great because he's been a total nonfactor for a while. Junghyun is unfortunately the weak link I think. Unless if they try to get Jinho and Johwan to fight it out I think its going to come down to Jiwon or Junghyun in the next few episodes. Although I love Junghyun because he's SOMEHOW against all odds, still in the game. He is the Eunji of this season for sure, but not as annoying (or dumb). Love that old clueless man.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The ID thing felt really contrived. I have no idea what the role of the ID cards was supposed to be in the game and why sometimes the ID cards were given facedown to the dealer and revealed to a camera positioned to peek at them. The idea seems to have been that when player X was thinking he/she trading with Y it was in fact Z who gave Y their ID to use but there was no set rule that ID cards were supposed to be face up or down.

In the end a player got totally screwed and put into a powerless position and no matter how much it was his own fault it made the game less fun. Making the deathmatch a game of who was liked most and no personal skill just added insult to injury.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Donkay NOoo posted:

In ep 6, why did Dohee pretend to find his ID card? That was weird and pointless :confused:

I think it was an act of desperation where he hoped they'd say "But we've got your card right here" :v:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CeeJee posted:

The ID thing felt really contrived. I have no idea what the role of the ID cards was supposed to be in the game and why sometimes the ID cards were given facedown to the dealer and revealed to a camera positioned to peek at them. The idea seems to have been that when player X was thinking he/she trading with Y it was in fact Z who gave Y their ID to use but there was no set rule that ID cards were supposed to be face up or down.

In the end a player got totally screwed and put into a powerless position and no matter how much it was his own fault it made the game less fun. Making the deathmatch a game of who was liked most and no personal skill just added insult to injury.

It really makes me kind of annoyed at the producers for not stepping in. We know they watch the game unfold and we've seen them radio into one of the dealer's earpieces before. So they saw his ID get stolen, and then see he can't play, and then an hour later he still can't play and they're watching all this unravel and how do they not say okay, return the ID card at some point? That just sucked.

And that's not even the part that I think was particularly "nasty" by Jiwon and Yooyoung. At that point I was thinking, Really, this is the super controversial episode? But it's something that the producers should have stopped just the same.

The nasty stuff came later. By the way I think Doohee had a chance in that game, it wasn't decided if he'd just not trusted Jiwon, but yeah.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I think the best tactic against a celebrity is to publicly shame them. If Dohee had singled them out for angry one on one confrontations on camera he could either have made them feel guilty or made them anxious about the perception of their public persona. He'd have got some of them to pressure Jiwon into giving him back his ID.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yes. Seriously I couldn't believe it, this is what solidified as Sangmin into God tier status forever.
I don't know why Sangmin particularly impressed anyone with this move. They gave him a fake token. It wasn't a genius move by him, it was included in the package in the safe. Obviously he was never going to use the real token in that situation, because he's selfish and he has a fake token to work with. Were we surprised by it? Sure, that's it was put into the game, to introduce a twist exactly like what happened. You don't have to be brilliant to pull it off, though, because nobody is ever going to doubt that it's an official immortality token.

I love the scheming in this show more than the games itself I guess.
That's crazy. One of us is watching the wrong show and I really hope it's not me. The puzzles should be a central conceit of the game, not a tight-not alliance. Also, the "scheming" has not even been all that impressive. It's mostly just been the strength of superior numbers and now bullying. This season can't hold a candle to season 1.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 15, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

It really makes me kind of annoyed at the producers for not stepping in. We know they watch the game unfold and we've seen them radio into one of the dealer's earpieces before. So they saw his ID get stolen, and then see he can't play, and then an hour later he still can't play and they're watching all this unravel and how do they not say okay, return the ID card at some point? That just sucked.

And that's not even the part that I think was particularly "nasty" by Jiwon and Yooyoung. At that point I was thinking, Really, this is the super controversial episode? But it's something that the producers should have stopped just the same.

The nasty stuff came later. By the way I think Doohee had a chance in that game, it wasn't decided if he'd just not trusted Jiwon, but yeah.

I think the producers were just at a loss as to what to do since didn't all the original producers from Season 1 head off to do something else? The Genius doesn't seem to be scripted like a variety show so the producers might have been worried that publicaly interfering in the game could backfire on them. One of the producers should have probably just paused the game, gave an interview to Doo Hee and ask him stuff like 'how does it feel to be betrayed and have your ID stolen by someone you trust (wink wink)' or interview Ji Won and ask 'what are you going to trade Doo Hee for his ID so he can play the game'.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I think the best tactic against a celebrity is to publicly shame them. If Dohee had singled them out for angry one on one confrontations on camera he could either have made them feel guilty or made them anxious about the perception of their public persona. He'd have got some of them to pressure Jiwon into giving him back his ID.

I don't know if that was an option though. Doo Hee asked, they said no and there's nothing he could do about it given the difference in power and status. He's a very minor celebrity up against popular celebrities and publicly shaming them could backfire especially since some Korean fans are loving crazy. The last thing you'd want to do is publicly embarrass them and have their fan club retaliate from creating petitions to force celebrities to commit suicide to mailing a bunch of envelopes with razor blades attached so the celebrity would cut themselves when they opened the letters to rushing on stage at a guy's birthday celebration to try to throw acid at him.

Hell, most of the Korean entertainment industry is loving dark and filled with horror stories like the CEOs of entertainment companies pimping out their underaged talent to advertisers, plying them with alcohol and drugs before raping them or forcing them to rape each other while they watched.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kegslayer posted:

The last thing you'd want to do is publicly embarrass celebrities and have their fan club retaliate from creating petitions to force celebrities to commit suicide to mailing a bunch of envelopes with razor blades attached so the celebrity would cut themselves when they opened the letters to rushing on stage at a guy's birthday celebration to try to throw acid at him.

Hell, most of the Korean entertainment industry is loving dark and filled with horror stories like the CEOs of entertainment companies pimping out their underaged talent to advertisers, plying them with alcohol and drugs before raping them or forcing them to rape each other while they watched.
holy poo poo Korean culture is hosed up. :stare: No wonder they like to keep their variety shows light

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CeeJee posted:

The idea clearly was that players could trade ID's both for strengthening alliances and deception in trading. The cards had to be controlled by the dealer so the trading went appropriately and someone thought that the extra layer could introduce a fun twist without anticipating it going this wrong.

Whoever designed the games for season two clearly didn't think through the possibility of a strong alliance manipulating things long term. They could be shattered by setting up random teams and more group death matches. The alliance could try to manipulate things cross team but if they're sending half their members to a death match as a result they might not want to do it.

We're rapidly approaching a point where Jinho is going to be almost impossible to force out. Death matches where the remaining players decide the victor are going to be rarer until the finale (and since the eliminated contestants have no reason to go against Jinho he's almost sure to win if he reaches it). Before I wanted to see people on the offensive against him because he was too good and unbalanced the game. Now I want to see him crush everything remaining in his path and take over as the mastermind on the video screen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Dohee was powerless because he can only play the game and not the people. At one point he had Jinho's ID card in his possesion, why not try to make a deal with that (e.g. go to the big alliance and tell them he will trade it for his own, no questions asked. He was only powerless because he thought he was powerless. If you look at season 1 the small village had basicly lost when they send the burglar back, but they did not resign, they worked the other people and in the end won.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

I think the producers were just at a loss as to what to do since didn't all the original producers from Season 1 head off to do something else? The Genius doesn't seem to be scripted like a variety show so the producers might have been worried that publicaly interfering in the game could backfire on them. One of the producers should have probably just paused the game, gave an interview to Doo Hee and ask him stuff like 'how does it feel to be betrayed and have your ID stolen by someone you trust (wink wink)' or interview Ji Won and ask 'what are you going to trade Doo Hee for his ID so he can play the game'.

I don't know if that was an option though. Doo Hee asked, they said no and there's nothing he could do about it given the difference in power and status. He's a very minor celebrity up against popular celebrities and publicly shaming them could backfire especially since some Korean fans are loving crazy. The last thing you'd want to do is publicly embarrass them and have their fan club retaliate from creating petitions to force celebrities to commit suicide to mailing a bunch of envelopes with razor blades attached so the celebrity would cut themselves when they opened the letters to rushing on stage at a guy's birthday celebration to try to throw acid at him.

What...?? Jesus christ.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Enough drama chat, let's talk game tactics!

At first my thought was that in the early game you should offer to trade people for any cards that they only have one of since this would maximize the chances of reducing the total number of resources that you have. Then it occurred to me that the exact opposite strategy was better. A monopoly requires all of the cards and there's eight types of cards. You should be trying to get rid of your duplicates and have only one of each type of resource (though you can still say you're doing the first to encourage trading with the other players). Acting early before factions get too solid of a chance to organize is important. Refuse to let go of the bomb at all costs. Once you have all eight resources you get to be king maker and find the best deal for yourself with a trustworthy player (not Sangmin). As long as you're not a colossal dick about it and as long as you don't give away the bomb you should be able to avoid the deathmatch and make a nice garnet profit.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Random Stranger posted:

Enough drama chat, let's talk game tactics!

At first my thought was that in the early game you should offer to trade people for any cards that they only have one of since this would maximize the chances of reducing the total number of resources that you have. Then it occurred to me that the exact opposite strategy was better. A monopoly requires all of the cards and there's eight types of cards. You should be trying to get rid of your duplicates and have only one of each type of resource (though you can still say you're doing the first to encourage trading with the other players). Acting early before factions get too solid of a chance to organize is important. Refuse to let go of the bomb at all costs. Once you have all eight resources you get to be king maker and find the best deal for yourself with a trustworthy player (not Sangmin). As long as you're not a colossal dick about it and as long as you don't give away the bomb you should be able to avoid the deathmatch and make a nice garnet profit.

You would go to the deahtmatch though unless I'm missing something since all your cards would be different except two?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The idea clearly was that players could trade ID's both for strengthening alliances and deception in trading. The cards had to be controlled by the dealer so the trading went appropriately and someone thought that the extra layer could introduce a fun twist without anticipating it going this wrong.

S2 E6: The most disappointing thing was that swapping was Jinho's plan from the start. He was gonna swap ID's with Duhee and probably do something clever to win and be a boss. But we didn't get to see anything clever like that. I very much prefer the clever plays to the mean plays.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Fast Luck posted:

Ironic Twist, I dunno if you asked that cuz you think I came off like a weirdo in my long post but reading now the comments on that netizen blogspot http://t.co/Xak7KQFHFN and basically every commenter on there seems to be responding the same way I did and even moreso... people claiming they'll quit watching when Jinho gets knocked out, even saying they hope he gets knocked out so they can just quit watching, feeling bitter about the way people are being eliminated, the way the alliance is dumbing down the game, etc. On teamliquid too. So far I haven't read anyone blaming Doohee for leaving his ID on the table like some goons blamed him.

Also by the way, at 5:20 into the episode when Doohee first arrives at the house, Jiwon says, "You received my call?" Of course at the end of the episode it becomes, "I must have been drunk."

Also lol: http://i.imgur.com/nW1e2lS.jpg

I mean, you're well within your right to get mad at a guy like Jiwon and I can see where it comes from, because watching an earnest guy like Doohee get so completely taken is a hard thing. But it's a game. You can argue that he played the game in a lovely or underhanded way, but he still played the game. I don't see where this "mafia" or "bullying" stuff comes from, if anything I thought they were pretty respectful about things (while spitting on his back, I guess I don't know if that makes it better or worse). They just kept lying, and he kept believing them, and that's why they're still in the competition and he's not. I can't muster up enough righteous anger for this one.

...Also, are you sure you want to compare yourself to a bunch of anonymous Internet commenters on a blog?

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 15, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Whoever designed the games for season two clearly didn't think through the possibility of a strong alliance manipulating things long term. They could be shattered by setting up random teams and more group death matches. The alliance could try to manipulate things cross team but if they're sending half their members to a death match as a result they might not want to do it.

We're rapidly approaching a point where Jinho is going to be almost impossible to force out. Death matches where the remaining players decide the victor are going to be rarer until the finale (and since the eliminated contestants have no reason to go against Jinho he's almost sure to win if he reaches it). Before I wanted to see people on the offensive against him because he was too good and unbalanced the game. Now I want to see him crush everything remaining in his path and take over as the mastermind on the video screen.
We need more games like the horse race and add/multiply game from season 1.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ironic Twist posted:

I mean, you're well within your right to get mad at a guy like Jiwon and I can see where it comes from, because watching an earnest guy like Doohee get so completely taken is a hard thing. But it's a game. You can argue that he played the game in a lovely or underhanded way, but he still played the game. I don't see where this "mafia" or "bullying" stuff comes from, if anything I thought they were pretty respectful about things (while spitting on his back, I guess I don't know if that makes it better or worse). They just kept lying, and he kept believing them, and that's why they're still in the competition and he's not. I can't muster up enough righteous anger for this one.

...Also, are you sure you want to compare yourself to a bunch of anonymous Internet commenters?

Internet comments are a big deal in Korea. More then 10.000 people combined like those first two pissed off comments. The next bunch of top rated angry commetns all got around 4500 likes each too.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I rewatched S1E1 and noticed a similarity with Doohee's situation, where in Jinho's case, he left his garnet behind in a room. Funny enough, Sangmin was the one who swiped it and ended up manipulating Jinho with the garnet into deciding the deathmatch result for Minseo.

Sangmin owns y'all

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just add that whatever flaws the program might have, the music is still loving excellent, like the song they picked for the Sangmin safe reveal.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Zythrst posted:

You would go to the deahtmatch though unless I'm missing something since all your cards would be different except two?

Thats only true if you make the bomb monopoly. If for example Yohwan actually put his plan into action and traded with Jiwon, all the bomb holders would be eligible for elimination and he'd have his pick between them.

Man, Yohwan... If this had been a normal episode we'd all be talking about how bad he bungled things this episode.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Maduo posted:

Thats only true if you make the bomb monopoly. If for example Yohwan actually put his plan into action and traded with Jiwon, all the bomb holders would be eligible for elimination and he'd have his pick between them.

Man, Yohwan... If this had been a normal episode we'd all be talking about how bad he bungled things this episode.

While my initial reaction was the opposite (because the immortality was important and the main game almost predetermined), I think his mess-up in the main game was by far the worst one. Both of them were fairly obvious bad moves, even if the immortality was a bit more obvious, but fact is, Sangmin was almost guaranteed to get the immortality token with his hint. Several people know the location already, and it could be deduced with time and searching, unlike the password. His only choices were basically 'don't share its location, tell others Sangmin has the password, hope they try to get him out so he doesn't get the chance to use it' (veeeery likely to backfire IMO, given Sangmin's people-abilities) and do what he did and hope Sangmin feels grateful enough to give him a hand in some way later in the show.

Meanwhile, giving away his bomb was a complete suicide move - if he'd kept it, he could have forced a grid-lock since him + Jinho + Doohee very likely had one of each card at the time, so the broadcaster alliance would be forced to either use or retrieve Doohee's card.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Only if no one had been collecting the bombs, which is an unlikely possibility. Odds are someone would have two. I don't think they said what happened if five players had one bomb each, though.

Beyond that, if you wanted to be paranoid you could make only a seven resource monopoly with the other player and insist on trading two cards at the end so you get rid of your bomb as well. Of course this opens you up to a different kind of backstab but you could suggest exchanging ID's so that you could see the hand of the player you were completing the monopoly with. By this point, I think you've crossed the "don't be a dick about it" line, though and will get backstabbed by the winning faction. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 15, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know why Sangmin particularly impressed anyone with this move. They gave him a fake token. It wasn't a genius move by him, it was included in the package in the safe. Obviously he was never going to use the real token in that situation, because he's selfish and he has a fake token to work with. Were we surprised by it? Sure, that's it was put into the game, to introduce a twist exactly like what happened. You don't have to be brilliant to pull it off, though, because nobody is ever going to doubt that it's an official immortality token.
That's crazy. One of us is watching the wrong show and I really hope it's not me. The puzzles should be a central conceit of the game, not a tight-not alliance. Also, the "scheming" has not even been all that impressive. It's mostly just been the strength of superior numbers and now bullying. This season can't hold a candle to season 1.

I think we need to stop spoilers at this point because everyone posting pretty much knows what happened.

Why I thought sangmin made a brilliant play:

He tried to manipulate Duhee into choosing Jinho. So either way Duhee was always going to go to the death match. But he didn't think he'd actually be that mad at yooyoung to choose her. (It def was going to be Jiwon picked). So fake totem was an original betrayal just in case Duhee would do something like this. Which it did!

Also extreme ways played and everything! C'mon man!

And it's a reality show. Yes the puzzles are awesome, but I love watching how people work together or betray people to win. A lot of the games in season 1 in the death match weren't all through skill and wits either (rock paper scissors). I don't know why it's so bad for someone like to enjoy people teaming up and and scheming. Like Jinho already won and yes he owns but honestly it kinda would be really boring if he won again and he's too good. There's only one way to stop him and everyone realized it already.

Sorry! Opinions but I'm loving the hell out of this season. But again I'm a Latino American, not Korean so I'm not able to really relate much at all to their culture much.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

He tried to manipulate Duhee into choosing Jinho. So either way Duhee was always going to go to the death match. But he didn't think he'd actually be that mad at yooyoung to choose her. (It def was going to be Jiwon picked). So fake totem was an original betrayal just in case Duhee would do something like this. Which it did!

Personally I'd argue it was actively detrimental, in fact. He knew Doohee had exactly one reason to prefer choosing Jinho over Yooyoung/Jiwon or even Hongchul at that point - the fact that Jinho was the only player he had a chance of beating in a group-affected game (Yohwan maybe too). Giving him a token of Immortality that Doohee thought was real, just meant that Doohee no longer had an incentive to pick a safe choice, and could instead target the people he really wanted out. Which meant Sangmin lost (or at least, reduced the chance of) an opportunity to get Jinho out, gaining nothing. It's not even a matter of there being better times to use it, it actively hurt his plan to get Jinho out (and I can't see why that WOULDN'T be his plan).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Personally I'd argue it was actively detrimental, in fact. He knew Doohee had exactly one reason to prefer choosing Jinho over Yooyoung/Jiwon or even Hongchul at that point - the fact that Jinho was the only player he had a chance of beating in a group-affected game (Yohwan maybe too). Giving him a token of Immortality that Doohee thought was real, just meant that Doohee no longer had an incentive to pick a safe choice, and could instead target the people he really wanted out. Which meant Sangmin lost (or at least, reduced the chance of) an opportunity to get Jinho out, gaining nothing. It's not even a matter of there being better times to use it, it actively hurt his plan to get Jinho out (and I can't see why that WOULDN'T be his plan).

But I think in the end it did work out. Sure Jinho didn't get to the death match, but not only was it the 2nd game he's lost in the main game, but his alliance was pretty much broken in 2. Johwan is probably going to ally himself with Jinho just so both of them get to the finals or maybe even Junghyun will team up with Jinho. poo poo didn't work out this episode but he's a step closer to eliminating Jinho. I think personally Jinho is going to the death match next episode, its just going to be interesting who faces him.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Insurrectionist posted:

Meanwhile, giving away his bomb was a complete suicide move - if he'd kept it, he could have forced a grid-lock since him + Jinho + Doohee very likely had one of each card at the time, so the broadcaster alliance would be forced to either use or retrieve Doohee's card.

I think Yohwan wanted to show he could play ball with the broadcasters alliance and wasn't 100% with Jinho.
Besides, Dohee or Jinho were losing the match either way, so Yohwan wasn't that much in danger of going to the deathmatch (I doubt Yohwan/Doohee would target him).

That's the problem with team Jinho, the broadcasters are unwilling to target Jinho directly, so if you're Yohwan/Dohee, you're a really big target.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

But I think in the end it did work out. Sure Jinho didn't get to the death match, but not only was it the 2nd game he's lost in the main game, but his alliance was pretty much broken in 2. Johwan is probably going to ally himself with Jinho just so both of them get to the finals or maybe even Junghyun will team up with Jinho. poo poo didn't work out this episode but he's a step closer to eliminating Jinho. I think personally Jinho is going to the death match next episode, its just going to be interesting who faces him.

Well yeah, the alliance is in such a strong place that it likely doesn't matter much. But I still don't see how it was an advantage. If he'd NOT offered the fake token, either Doohee would have made the same choice in an attempt to defy them, with the exact same results, or he'd have challenged Jinho, which would mean a chance to get Jinho out - as well as keeping the fake token for later shenanigans either way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think we need to stop spoilers at this point because everyone posting pretty much knows what happened.

Also extreme ways played and everything! C'mon man!

And it's a reality show. Yes the puzzles are awesome, but I love watching how people work together or betray people to win. A lot of the games in season 1 in the death match weren't all through skill and wits either (rock paper scissors). I don't know why it's so bad for someone like to enjoy people teaming up and and scheming. Like Jinho already won and yes he owns but honestly it kinda would be really boring if he won again and he's too good. There's only one way to stop him and everyone realized it already.

Sorry! Opinions but I'm loving the hell out of this season. But again I'm a Latino American, not Korean so I'm not able to really relate much at all to their culture much.
Working with other people should be a big part of the game, which is why I enjoyed Kyungran so much in season one. She was so adept at getting information from all players, getting along with all players, being trusted by all players, not being targeted by any players... but who she worked with changed a lot more depending on the game, while this season it's just the same alliance barreling through everything. They're not smoothly operating with whichever player they need, they're just keeping the same probably pre-show group together which is not half as impressive. And what's more, that alliance has done absolutely zero good "scheming" either so far, up until this episode (if you count that bullshit as good "scheming" that is). Stealing from someone so they can't even play definitely isn't scheming. After seeing that person near tears, giving him a fake promise and pledging to make it up to him and then betraying him again is scheming but not the kind that's clever or fun unless you just feed off all drama.

Sangmin's scheming? Insurrectionist just made a really good point about that. Doohee had incentive to pick Jinho if he wasn't given a token of immortality.

The rule on the spoilers is we use them for a week I think, it's only been a day.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Working with other people should be a big part of the game, which is why I enjoyed Kyungran so much in season one. She was so adept at getting information from all players, getting along with all players, being trusted by all players, not being targeted by any players... but who she worked with changed a lot more depending on the game, while this season it's just the same alliance barreling through everything. They're not smoothly operating with whichever player they need, they're just keeping the same probably pre-show group together which is not half as impressive. And what's more, that alliance has done absolutely zero good "scheming" either so far, up until this episode (if you count that bullshit as good "scheming" that is). Stealing from someone so they can't even play definitely isn't scheming. After seeing that person near tears, giving him a fake promise and pledging to make it up to him and then betraying him again is scheming but not the kind that's clever or fun unless you just feed off all drama.

Sangmin's scheming? Insurrectionist just made a really good point about that. Doohee had incentive to pick Jinho if he wasn't given a token of immortality.

The rule on the spoilers is we use them for a week I think, it's only been a day.

I guess I really do feed off the drama then. And we're going to have to agree to disagree. If the producers and the dealers didn't do anything when Jiwon used Duhee's id then I do think it was part of the game. It did go a bit too long, and they were even about to give it back until Duhee says he found it randomly which confused everyone. He honestly should have taken more care of his ID, its pretty much his fault. Eyes on the prize man. On the verge tears? Sucks. Sad story about his life always getting hosed over? Also sucks. But this is just a game, and you shouldn't be crying IMO. Also I don't give a poo poo about the netizen comments at all or see how much of it is a big deal personally so none of that matters to me? Also Duhee isn't much of a saint either, he also betrayed people in episode 3 I believe when they least expected it too.

Duhee was just honestly not cut out to win this show. Jiwon realizes it was gonna be either him or Duhee, and seized the opportunity to win. Makes him look like an rear end in a top hat in the end, but whatever it takes to win right?

I don't know that is how I see it. But I also really enjoyed Gura in season 1, and Sangmin in both. NEVER TRUST ANYBODY