Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://www.orendsrange.com/2014/01/hiroshi-fujioka-returns-as-kamen-rider.html

This is pleasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

How do you explain a cyborg becoming an old man?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The fleshy bits age just like anyone else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He got better.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpazmasterX posted:

How do you explain a cyborg becoming an old man?

You don't. You just ignore the aging of the actor.

Unless that's asking for too much suspension of disbelief for karate bugmen.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
"Karate bugman" is such a poor argument I have to roll my eyes whenever someone brings it up. Its much easier to ignore a difference in the way the world works (ie that superheros exist) than it is to ignore something like people acting strangely (due to sloppy writing or acting) or unexplainable plot-holes occurring. Yes, just not bringing the aging up should be enough but its not because the show has a silly premise that that is the case, if they'd did a similar thing on, say, Star Trek it wouldn't be that big a deal either. Hell look at old soap operas where the show, supposedly, took place in a world just like ours. They'd literally swap actors out with a "the part of Hugh Larsson will now be played by Bill McDaniels" and the audience would go along with it. Audience willingness to buy into the fantasy is what makes changes like that and character aging work and odds are if the person brought tickets to a film like this they have either already brought in or aren't going to care for the movie anyway (parents getting stuck taking their kids to it.)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Or you could suspend your disbelief because it's karate bugmen.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Cliff Racer posted:

"Karate bugman" is such a poor argument I have to roll my eyes whenever someone brings it up. Its much easier to ignore a difference in the way the world works (ie that superheros exist) than it is to ignore something like people acting strangely (due to sloppy writing or acting) or unexplainable plot-holes occurring. Yes, just not bringing the aging up should be enough but its not because the show has a silly premise that that is the case, if they'd did a similar thing on, say, Star Trek it wouldn't be that big a deal either. Hell look at old soap operas where the show, supposedly, took place in a world just like ours. They'd literally swap actors out with a "the part of Hugh Larsson will now be played by Bill McDaniels" and the audience would go along with it. Audience willingness to buy into the fantasy is what makes changes like that and character aging work and odds are if the person brought tickets to a film like this they have either already brought in or aren't going to care for the movie anyway (parents getting stuck taking their kids to it.)

It's a children's show. Simmer down.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Karate bugmen FTW.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Rei_ posted:

The newest installment of karate bugmen features street-dancing teenagers who transform into samurai via screaming belts when you put magical fruit inside them. The belt of the most serious samurai dancing teen most often yells BANANA ARMS.

The previous includes a literally magical belt created by an ancient civilization that spouts sick DJ rap beats.

If you're having trouble coming to terms with the aging of a cyborg this maaaay not be the franchise for you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cliff Racer posted:

It's just a show, I really should relax.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

The newest installment of karate bugmen features street-dancing teenagers who transform into samurai via screaming belts when you put magical fruit inside them. The belt of the most serious samurai dancing teen most often yells BANANA ARMS.

The previous includes a literally magical belt created by an ancient civilization that spouts sick DJ rap beats.

If you're having trouble coming to terms with the aging of a cyborg this maaaay not be the franchise for you.

Hi Sui Fu Do! Bo Jaba Byu Dogon!

Apollove
May 31, 2013
So I was talking with my friend today and I was wondering, if you were to be a Kamen Rider what would your name and theme be. Like I would be "Kamen Rider Beat" with music or sound in general as a motif, and my friend would be "Kamen Rider Prism" with Colors as his motif.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's just a show, I really should relax.

Yeah gently caress caring about stuff, I should just chilllllllax bro, it doesn't matter that the subject matter, once an audience agrees to buy in, doesn't actually have anything to do with audience ability to suspend disbelief or not, am I right folks? Its much easier to just blame it on silliness that to discuss the actual reason.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Apollove posted:

So I was talking with my friend today and I was wondering, if you were to be a Kamen Rider what would your name and theme be. Like I would be "Kamen Rider Beat" with music or sound in general as a motif, and my friend would be "Kamen Rider Prism" with Colors as his motif.
Kamen Rider Beat? I'd be down for that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah gently caress caring about stuff, I should just chilllllllax bro, it doesn't matter that the subject matter, once an audience agrees to buy in, doesn't actually have anything to do with audience ability to suspend disbelief or not, am I right folks? Its much easier to just blame it on silliness that to discuss the actual reason.

For someone who cares a lot about Kamen Rider you're not acting very heroically.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cliff Racer posted:

Dude I'm not in the argument and I really don't care about your sperging about suspension of disbelief. I'm just telling you you're getting really worked over basically nothing. Hence why the MST3K quote.

Just breath, you lovely poster.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hbomberguy posted:

For someone who cares a lot about Kamen Rider you're not acting very heroically.

I don't care too much about Kamen Rider, sort of gave up on it after Wizard actually. I care that the people don't seem to appreciate how suspension of disbelief works (and how those things can allow you to either ignore or focus in on plot holes and inconsistencies.) Saying "the show is about karate bugmen and thus literally anything can happen" is just plain wrong. Monsters can happen, melodrama can happen but the simple fact is that if the show doesn't take care to make, for instance, believable characters and a logical plot, then the karate bugmen stop being karate bugmen and become guys in stupid costumes who can barely see out of them.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've been watching Kamen Rider 1 recently and that's a really difficult show to convey how enjoyable it is without like, actually seeing it. 1970s Japanese Sci-Fi and Horror had this really loving distinct feel to it that I can't really describe. Even films like House feel like this part of a larger genre despite being incredibly weird and unique on their own.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

People know what suspension of disbelief means it's just that no one gives a poo poo right now because you started going off on this sudden angry tirade because of a joke-y one-liner in response to a joke-y question that no one actually demands to know the answer of.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't care too much about Kamen Rider, sort of gave up on it after Wizard actually. I care that the people don't seem to appreciate how suspension of disbelief works (and how those things can allow you to either ignore or focus in on plot holes and inconsistencies.)

No offense I think you might be in the wrong thread then.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Apollove posted:

No offense I think you might be in the wrong thread then.

I still follow sentai and am slowly making my way through Garo's second series, though admittedly I might not watch Tokkyuger (not a quality statement, just less free time than ever.)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

This reminds me of a political conversation I had with my flatmate recently, we were making fun of each others ideas and our own and it was pretty fun. I jokingly accused him of being racist, as part of the self-parody of liberal humanism act I was playing (as he was wearing a tea towel fashioned into a Shemagh) - and suddenly his entire act dropped and I was treated to a long tirade about how no, he was not in fact racist and if I thought he was, it was I who was racist, and words mean something and you're not allowed to take them out of context.

I guess what I'm asking is, Nick are you secretly also a Kamen Rider fan and posting in this thread? Because if so we should totally watch it together some time. Also please stop boiling the kettle and forgetting about it it's a waste of electricity~~

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
I'll treasure that post in my heart forever. :allears:

Also I don't think it's too much to ask people to believe a cyborg also gets older. I mean Gavan's actor looked like a strip of jerky and he was believable enough as THREE heroes in one movie.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Man, the Gavan movie was such a let down. Too much stupid love triangle, not enough space cops.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm just glad Segata Sanshiro is coming back man. Not putting him in front of the camera for Let's Go Kamen Riders was a big missed opportunity given he was voicing his character, who has a central role in the film, anyway and he'd been a boss just a couple years before in Rescue Force. Dude's getting towards 70, treasure him while you can and don't let stupid poo poo like "cyborgs don't age so we can't show characters whose actors have visibly aged" get in your way is all I'm saying.

Of course the shows should have consistent internal logic and characterisation, and good (even just good in the stupid, goofy kids show way) writing is preferred and whatever the hell else you're going on about. Also I think a lot of people use Karate Bugmen as an affectionate nickname. At least that's how I use it. It's not meant to be some deflection of criticism or whatever because "this is a silly kids superhero show so you can't say anything about it" (even though it's exactly a silly kids superhero show). It's just a funny, slightly deprecating yet concise way to describe the series.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Apollove posted:

Cure Tech, green with ele-

Ahem, Kamen Rider Tech, with a computer theme. Mainly green, with printed circuit designs radiating from the belt. Transformation item is a computer processor.

"Process on! Computation begin! Henshin!"

I need to get a better hobby

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apollove posted:

Kamen Rider Liberty. Just a big ol' star spangled, red white and blue AMERICA Rider.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

Kamen Rider Liberty. Just a big ol' star spangled, red white and blue AMERICA Rider.

Also randomly spouts english phrases like "OH MY GOD" and "gently caress"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

Also randomly spouts english phrases like "OH MY GOD" and "gently caress"

The Rider? Or the Driver?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

The Rider? Or the Driver?

Both at the same time.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My favorite Kamen Rider concept that I'd want to see made is one /m/ cooked up before we knew about Gaim. Kamen Rider Radial. His gimmick is that he was a DJ host who stumbled upon like, ghosts trapped in magic records and the like, and he used those against them to exorcise them and save the city. But he also is a walking broadcast tower, so everyone listened into his adventures thinking it was some sort of radio drama. The belt had a Radio Host mic for a centerpiece that he spoke into in order to transform, with the Belt potentially having goofy sounds like "ONE TWO! CHECK THE MIC! YOU'RE ON-AIR!"

It was a pretty cool idea, in all honesty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also an idea I had that a lot of people probably have had and probably wouldn't fly on children's TV, but a Kamen Rider based around gambling. A dealer is imbued with the power to become Kamen Rider Trump by Lady Luck to defeat embodiments of sin or something. The belt would be a slot machine (777 continues the tenuous number theme) and I guess the trinkets could be poker chips? Little bit too close to medals, kinda.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I kinda want the next anniversary season to be more of a throwback. Like go really heavy on a bug theme. But beyond that, Toei can make whatever and make it awesome (see fruit samurai)

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Monathin posted:

My favorite Kamen Rider concept that I'd want to see made is one /m/ cooked up before we knew about Gaim. Kamen Rider Radial. His gimmick is that he was a DJ host who stumbled upon like, ghosts trapped in magic records and the like, and he used those against them to exorcise them and save the city. But he also is a walking broadcast tower, so everyone listened into his adventures thinking it was some sort of radio drama. The belt had a Radio Host mic for a centerpiece that he spoke into in order to transform, with the Belt potentially having goofy sounds like "ONE TWO! CHECK THE MIC! YOU'RE ON-AIR!"

Oh man that sounds loving awesome. I'd pay to see that as a show, or at the very least a webcomic

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I'd like to see a three person Rider team, where one person wasn't the "main character". Sorta like what Gaim is doing except if he teamed up with Baron and Ryugen all the time. I'm still trying to think of what a good three person shared gimmick would be.

Or something like W with dual protagonists but two separate Riders instead of two-in-one.

EDIT: Or a series with a lead female Rider.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm still trying to think of what a good three person shared gimmick would be.

I got one, Journey to the west. Kamen Rider Goku, Kamen Rider Hakkai, and Kamen Rider Gojo

Also I had an idea for a Kamen Rider that's sorta like, what early YuYuHakusho was. Basically a punk kid dies, and he has been tasked with fighting evil spirits, and he becomes a Kamen Rider to do that. That's really as far as I got.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Apollove posted:

I got one, Journey to the west. Kamen Rider Goku, Kamen Rider Hakkai, and Kamen Rider Gojo

I was thinking more along the lines of suit gimmicks, not theme gimmicks. :v:

Apollove
May 31, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of suit gimmicks, not theme gimmicks. :v:

Land, Sea, Air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Apollove posted:

Land, Sea, Air?

No, I mean like Fourze's different switches, OOO's head/body/leg changes, and Gaim's various fruit armors. Toy gimmicks!

• Locked thread