Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

ixo posted:

I am giving some serious consideration to skipping my garden this time around.

:negative:

I'm gonna change my irrigation system to be 90% drip instead of the sprayers I have right now. that's good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
You guys were talking about growing blueberry bushes a page ago, tell me about them: will the birds get into them and poo poo purple down my house? That's the one thing keeping me from planting them.

Last year I was able to control birds in my container garden by planting cat mint. The cats came for the mint and stayed for the prey.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ixo posted:

I'm gonna change my irrigation system to be 90% drip instead of the sprayers I have right now. that's good, right?

I've been using drip everywhere practical and it works great. I still have some sprayers for things like loose lettuce varieties and beets.......it would be insane to try to use much else for that, although I suppose you could attempt a drip hose.

Bean posted:

You guys were talking about growing blueberry bushes a page ago, tell me about them: will the birds get into them and poo poo purple down my house? That's the one thing keeping me from planting them.

I have a "cage" for mine, otherwise the birds eat them all as soon as the brix come up to a level where you want to pick them. It's nothing more than some deer fence draped over the top of the corner of the fence they are in with some stakes to hold it up on the "inside" of the fence. Nothing fancy but it works, and it's tall enough to stopp over and walk in there (or just send the kids in).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 21, 2014

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Any recommendations for amaranth varieties grown for seed?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Gotta share this morning's discovery:

While trying to replace a Japanese pepper the cold finally killed, I stumbled onto Kitazawa Seed. They specialize in heirloom Asian produce and have everything from adzuki beans to wax gourds.

As someone in love with growing strange things, I'm sold.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Screened my oldest compost pile yesterday:

And dug up the potato hills:

These guys were planted a little late from shriveled up and sprouty free seed potatoes and left in the ground until now. Three 5-gallon buckets and those two massive taters in the 4th bucket isn't too bad for ~24 row feet. There were tons of huge worms in the soil too.

I still have to narrow down what I want to grow this year for veggies and order seeds. So far I'm looking at beans, peas, lettuce, carrots, summer and winter squash, and cherry tomatoes. Maybe some other root crops like parsnip or rutabaga. I also have the true potato seed I ordered last year and seed for the physalis peruviana that I could try growing.

Wasn't someone else trying to grow silver vine? How did that turn out? My seeds never germinated.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Bean posted:

Last year I was able to control birds in my container garden by planting cat mint. The cats came for the mint and stayed for the prey.
Have you tried four sticks and $2 of bird netting?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bean posted:

Yes birds are a problem, and you should put up netting to deter them once the flowers are pollinated and berries start to grow. Do you have house finches? Because they will absolutely decimate blueberries, taking one bite out of each one and moving on. Assholes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bean posted:

You can buy plastic netting and throw it over the bushes, it'll keep most of the birds out. My folks use some that's so thin it's nearly invisible.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Just planted my tomato seeds. I put them in an old turkey pan filled with a little bit of water. Supposedly that should be enough to keep the soil moist, I hope so. I guess the soil will soak up the water like a sponge.

Here's a couple pictures. http://imgur.com/a/Er2fV

One of them is my ghetto germination station. The other is a pic of the Brandywine Red that I planted about six weeks ago as an "experiment" to see if I could actually do this. I just transplanted him into a new pot because he's gotten way too big for the other one. There's also a pic of one of the boxes my dad helped me with. He did all of the drip system stuff. Each box has a faucet so we can control the amount of water and it's all tied into the sprinkler system.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 22, 2014

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Baker Creek has awesome seeds. Those Greasy Grits are delicious and the Mortgage Lifter is a great old centerpiece/novelty kind of tomato. I haven't had a lot of luck making them get really huge but they taste delicious.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Best part is that I work in the same town as one of their brick and mortar stores. I can pop on over and buy seeds on my lunchbreak! Why no I don't already have over 100 packets of seeds in my garage, why do you ask?

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

ixo posted:

Best part is that I work in the same town as one of their brick and mortar stores. I can pop on over and buy seeds on my lunchbreak! Why no I don't already have over 100 packets of seeds in my garage, why do you ask?

You lucky/poor bastard. Speaking of having a few too many seeds, how are folks storing and sorting their seeds?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Oh sweet, I'm growing both Mortgage Lifter and Black Krim this year. :hfive:

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

fine-tune posted:

You lucky/poor bastard. Speaking of having a few too many seeds, how are folks storing and sorting their seeds?

I have a Trello board where I keep track of all the seeds I have, when I got them, where from, and what is germinating. For physically storing them, I keep them in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

ixo posted:

:negative:

Black Krim's were the most delicious (large) tomato to come out of our garden last year. It will not disappoint! (The Black Cherry variety of cherry tomato really knocked all the other cherries out of the park.)

PS We have sprayer hoses and I have come to dislike them. We're also switching them out for drips, and reworking the beds so the hoses are lightly buried and under the straw. I figure that will help with curbing evaporation and also distribution of the water.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 22, 2014

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

dwoloz posted:

Any recommendations for amaranth varieties grown for seed?

Botanical Interests has Red Amaranth on sale for only 80 cents.
https://botanicalinterests.com/products/view/0146/Amaranth-Edible-Red-Leaf-HEIRLOOM-Seeds

I have no experience, but I picked some up and am trying it this year. Sounds cool that it will thrive in the heat of summer while other salad greens have bolted. Just realized you said specifically for seed, but description also mentions that.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

I will be posting a heck of a lot more in the coming months, we just moved into a home with over an acre and we will be planting a lot. Something I have noticed is we have a lot of deer. And I assume rabbits/squirrels etc... What do you guys suggest for deterring these animals? Is there something other than fences? Also this won't keep squirrels out.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Squirrels are shitheads. As my husband says, a pellet gun keeps the squirrels out. I always just hope the red tail hawks that are so common around me are extra hungry and will snag them instead of the songbirds. We have lots of rabbits and I use chicken wire fencing tacked into the ground with lawn staples. It works perfectly. As for the deer, I don't personally have them, but friends that live farther on the outskirts than me have had luck with "predator" scented repellents. Things that smell like dog. YMMV

If anyone has any tricks for getting the rear end in a top hat mole that keeps destroying my poo poo the gently caress out of my yard, or if there's any way to kill the chipmunks, I am all ears. Rabbits are easy, and I have a big enough plot that I can take some squirrel damage, but that mole and those goddamn chipmunks have got to go.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

If anyone has any tricks for getting the rear end in a top hat mole that keeps destroying my poo poo the gently caress out of my yard, or if there's any way to kill the chipmunks, I am all ears. Rabbits are easy, and I have a big enough plot that I can take some squirrel damage, but that mole and those goddamn chipmunks have got to go.

Hardware cloth. You slice up the sod and run about 12" of it UNDER the sod, bend it 90 degrees and tack it on to the rest of your garden fencing. It's kinda expensive, but it works.

I'm surprised chicken wire is doing anything at all for you. About the only thing that stuff is good for is keeping chickens in. It certainly isn't enough to keep predators that want to eat chickens out, and the holes are large enough for a lot of stuff to make it through, especially if they are determined (it bends easily, especially up from the bottom).

Around here you need about 8 feet of fence to have any chance at all of not losing your stuff to deer. I've got 6 feet of welded wire with a singe wire 2 feet above that. It's seem to have done the trick.

This is pre-hardware cloth, but you get the idea:

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 23, 2014

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Supposedly human hair will deter deer. My barber gives bags of it to a local guy who spreads it on a fence line for that purpose.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nothing but a good quality fence will keep deer out. They are very persistent and will quickly figure out that certain smells or objects are not threats. Even then the fence must either be surprisingly high (8' or more) or in a very specific arrangement. Even that electric arrangement can fail, but it keeps most of them out from my father's experience with food plots.

Mole trouble = mole trap. They work wonders.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
A dog that will chase the deer works well too. Cats for the smaller prey. Buried hardware cloth for the diggers.

The orchard I'm taking care of has moles but since it's all mature trees they don't do any harm and actually do some good by aerating the soil.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

While we're talking pests, is there anything that can be done about raccoons? A friend of mine had the worst time last year keeping those fuckers from taking bites out of tomatoes.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Shifty Pony posted:

Nothing but a good quality fence will keep deer out. They are very persistent and will quickly figure out that certain smells or objects are not threats. Even then the fence must either be surprisingly high (8' or more) or in a very specific arrangement. Even that electric arrangement can fail, but it keeps most of them out from my father's experience with food plots.

Mole trouble = mole trap. They work wonders.

I have one. Have been trying to get him since this past spring. Moving it on active runs, not stomping the runs. The little fucker is smart. (I figure it's just one since I read they're territorial.) I just keep hoping he'll hit it one day.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Same Great Paste posted:

While we're talking pests, is there anything that can be done about raccoons? A friend of mine had the worst time last year keeping those fuckers from taking bites out of tomatoes.

Live traps and taking them very far away. Or if you are less squeamish and know a trapper they may want them for the fur.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
We have a small furry unwanted friend that visits our herb garden. A very cute kitten likes to come and poo right next to our herbs in the small dirt area next to them. How can I stop this behaviour?

It's not our cat and I have no idea whose it is.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Sticks pointing up out of the ground stopped the cats nearby making GBS threads in my veggie patch.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Molten Llama posted:

Gotta share this morning's discovery:

While trying to replace a Japanese pepper the cold finally killed, I stumbled onto Kitazawa Seed. They specialize in heirloom Asian produce and have everything from adzuki beans to wax gourds.

As someone in love with growing strange things, I'm sold.
I'm not a master gardener, but I've bought seeds from Kitazawa and had good luck with them. I had a bunch of bitter melons grown from their seeds, until frost killed them all.

TheMightyHandful posted:

Sticks pointing up out of the ground stopped the cats nearby making GBS threads in my veggie patch.
I've been using disposable chopsticks from Chinese takeout. Stuck 'em in at irregular intervals. Seems to be keeping the neighbourhood cats from using my raised bed garden as a litter box.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
You could always plant a rue plant right in the middle of the cat's new litterbox. Not only will the cats steer clear of it, but it's a preferred larval host for black swallowtail butterflies- meaning they'll be more likely to leave their caterpillars on the rue than on your parsley, fennel, dill, etc. Rue is a woody perennial that's also very tolerant of poor, dry soils once it's established so it's very easy to care for.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

New house with huge yard that hasn't been used for gardening. Comes with shed, just need to clear a plot and fence it.

Went ... a little too crazy with seeds this year, but we did invest in a 4ft grow light and stand, and the heated, domed seed starters (all from HydroFarm via amazon). Gonna do this right, I've got a whole room in my basement with counters and drawers, so the plan is to basically make this an indoor gardening/hobby area where all this can live.

My plan is to plant small quantities of LOTS of stuff and see what thrives and what doesn't and tune it up as the years go by.

Black Krim tomato (sup black krim buddies?)
Sweet 100 hybrid cherry tomato (I grew one plant of this over an 8 foot privacy fence at my last place)
Costoluto Genovese tomato
County Fair Hybrid cukes
Gloriette Radishes
Random Cabbage variety
Kongo kohlrabi (these are the small ones, I don't like the stupid large stuff)
Green and purple scallions
Collard greens
'Bodacious' yellow sweet corn

A ton of herbs and salad lettuce to put on containers on our deck (also I thought it would be cool to use the grow light and trays to use for a constant source of herbs after the veggies move out and during the 'off-season'. And finally, two raspberry varietals that we're planning on putting in a designated 'raspberry bed' we've made on the sunny side of our detached garage.

It's going to be...a LOT, but I love gardening, even if I'm only passable at it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Our Black Krims were the very best thing this past year. I can't wait to have them again. I recommend giving the Black Cherry variety a go. Super sweet, flavorful "black" little tomatoes. (They grow like crazy too. I grow two plants that each get their own trellis.)

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Just spotted my first proto-tomato...

:dance:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I'm going to try growing from seed this year and I'm putting together my germination setup. What are the preferred mediums you guys use? I've seen mixed opinions on Jiffy pellets, but is a soil/sand/perlite mix good enough?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I, personally, have had 'fine' germination rates with Jiffy pellets.
I'm not a commercial grower.
I'm under the belief that I could make a superior perlite/seed starter medium.

I don't know how well it'll come out of those stupid planters though, so I tend to go with pellets. Though with my recent purchase, described above, I'm now lead to believe that the pellets may suck with those trays, though I can't see how a loose soil mix would be better.

Basically it's a horse a piece is what I'm saying.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Rectal Placenta posted:

I'm going to try growing from seed this year and I'm putting together my germination setup. What are the preferred mediums you guys use? I've seen mixed opinions on Jiffy pellets, but is a soil/sand/perlite mix good enough?

Unless you're growing a ton of stuff or very picky plants then a bag or two of seed starting mix is good enough.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Loose, wet, black and full of worms. Terrible adjectives for anyone but a gardener.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Rectal Placenta posted:

Last year I tried a mix of both pellets and just loose potting soil placed in various plastic containers I recycled from the kitchen and both methods worked great.

The method I found worked especially good for getting difficult seeds to start was the wet paper towel in a ziploc bag method. Even my fussy cacti loosened up with that.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

AlistairCookie posted:

What I did was dig straight down 1 foot below my fence, about 4-6 inches wide and put fine wire (1/4" gaps) in the ground, and turned it 90* pointing out. Around each post where I had a gap in the wire, I filled with gravel. Haven't had any subterranean rodents since.

For those of you talking seed starting. Where are you located? I'm in the Davis, CA area - should I be starting seeds now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

jvick posted:

For those of you talking seed starting. Where are you located? I'm in the Davis, CA area - should I be starting seeds now?

Well, I think you're behind a little, but your growing season is so long I doubt you'll have issues.

If you're into the Old Farmers Almanac here's their best dates for Davis and different plants:
http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/CA/Davis