Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Swan Oat posted:

Colin Kaepernick's tattoos include several bible verses, the thug.
Is one of them Leviticus 19:28? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

Well, Russell's one of the good ones, remember.

I love the random picture of steak, scrambled eggs, and fruit. That monster!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Don't you see? It doesn't matter what the food is, it's that he's SO SELF ABSORBED that he takes pictures of his food instead of the orphans he's helping or whatever

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I finally watched the clip that everybody is talking about and I honestly don't see the big deal. I've watched enough sports to have seen outbursts like that before and it was loud, but not that obscene. I mean, he didn't even cuss or say anything really derogatory.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Who What Now posted:

Although it's tiny I'm willing to bet that the focus is more on the subtitle of "VEGETABLES MAKE YOU WEAK". Still dumb as hell, but eh :shrug:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I stopped eating meat a while ago and when I hear that I tell people I never seen no gorilla eat meat either but a gorilla will wreck your poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

I stopped eating meat a while ago and when I hear that I tell people I never seen no gorilla eat meat either but a gorilla will wreck your poo poo.

Gorillas are the least known creature to attack a human though.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
But if they did they would wreck your poo poo.

If you need another deadly vegetarian animal though try hippos.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Herbivores are hardcore, just take your pick.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Not sure if this belongs but... uh yeah.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Inspired by SocialFixer's name for that OP. Better than fining people who likely aren't very wealthy for sagging pants, suggest something more practical for fundraising:
Progressive fees for automotive violations.

You could have a minimum fee so the jobless guy living in a car doesn't get off for free, to appease that lust for punishment. But why should a wealthy person pay an eyeroll-inducing fee like 0.00001% of income when a WalMart worker might have trouble making rent from the same $200-$500 ticket? Make it impossible for speeding tickets, illegal parking in a handicap space, etc to be a laughably tiny amount of money. You could extend it to any civic infractions I guess, but automotive violations are probably the most dangerous everyday citations out there.

Everyone gets the same degree of punishment, and the state gets more funds, win-win right? "But that's punishing success!" will be the response.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
That one would just lead to cops targeting nicer cars.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

sweart gliwere posted:

Everyone gets the same degree of punishment, and the state gets more funds, win-win right? "But that's punishing success!" will be the response.

Nevvy Z posted:

Welp, those two complaints just guaranteed my vote for it.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

sweart gliwere posted:

Inspired by SocialFixer's name for that OP. Better than fining people who likely aren't very wealthy for sagging pants, suggest something more practical for fundraising:

You could have a minimum fee so the jobless guy living in a car doesn't get off for free, to appease that lust for punishment. But why should a wealthy person pay an eyeroll-inducing fee like 0.00001% of income when a WalMart worker might have trouble making rent from the same $200-$500 ticket? Make it impossible for speeding tickets, illegal parking in a handicap space, etc to be a laughably tiny amount of money. You could extend it to any civic infractions I guess, but automotive violations are probably the most dangerous everyday citations out there.

Finland does this apparently, a few years ago some rich guy got fined 26 thousand euros for running a red light and one guy got fined 112 thousand for driving 82km/h in a 60km/h zone.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 23, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

myron cope posted:

Don't you see? It doesn't matter what the food is, it's that he's SO SELF ABSORBED that he takes pictures of his food instead of the orphans he's helping or whatever

At least he's eating steaks instead of orphans.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

Cops having an incentive to target the rich will be the thing that leads to less disproportionate targeting of people from certain income groups, not more.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'd rather cops target people who were actually doing something dangerous myself. I think the whole thing should be decoupled from city/department incomes.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

sweart gliwere posted:

I used to work for a guy who would routinely disregard traffic laws because he was loaded. I remember once he and I spent eight or nine weeks at a client site, and every day he would park his car illegally and get booted. Every day he would pay $50 to get the property managers to remove the boot, all so he didn't have to park in the garage. At the time, $50 was over half of what I made in an eight hour day. Needless to say this grated someone.

But I think you will find that this is the American way.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
As for Rolls Royce and Maserati being profiled: I'm pretty sure the rich aren't going to get a ticket if they avoid illegal handicap parking and reckless driving. Rich people can afford good lawyers, they aren't afraid to strike back if a cop tries to hassle them for frivolous poo poo. Plenty of rich guys drive decade-old basic luxury cars and nice trucks anyway, it isn't always ostentatious stuff.

Also, it's pretty funny to think about one of the Walton heirs having the same vague sense of dread as a random black dude when a cop gets behind and tails you on the highway for no reason (Just pass me. Pass me, pass me, FINALLY. Whew.)

Spalec posted:

Finland does this apparently, a few years ago some rich guy got fined 26 thousand euros for running a red light and one guy got fined 112 thousand for driving 82km/h in a 60km/h zone.

That's the best part, there are plenty of European stories out there, I read my first one probably a decade ago. I haven't ever heard a real-life or internet European complain about them because it's pretty sensible. You should feel some pain if you endanger someone, and a big wallet shouldn't be like an IRL Monopoly card.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Texas gubernatorial race. All the Republicans have to do to win is complain about how black the President is and keep the misogyny under wraps. That's it. Just talk about death panels and Obamacare and not mention Wendy Da-Wendy-Wen----RAAAAARRGHH WENDY DAVIS WHAT A GOLDDIGGING WHORE!! WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Am I supposed to have a good 1.0 weeks? Why not 2.0 weeks? 3.0 weeks???

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
$5 says if a Republican told a wheelchair-bound Democrat they haven't "walked a mile in my shoes", and Democrats complained, the Republicans would use it as an example of the feminization of American society or Political Correctness Gone Mad.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PUGGERNAUT posted:

$5 says if a Republican told a wheelchair-bound Democrat they haven't "walked a mile in my shoes", and Democrats complained, the Republicans would use it as an example of the feminization of American society or Political Correctness Gone Mad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKFYpd0q9nE
Max Cleland had both of his legs amputated in Vietnam.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Saw this flyer in the library :smith::

quote:

Free Copies of Ayn Rand’s Books for Your High School Classroom!

“I rank Rand’s novels at the top of my list. I always recommend her to students and teachers. She has a way of touching students in a meaningful way.”—High school teacher in Georgia

About the books

Anthem and The Fountainhead both contain many elements that appeal strongly to young readers. They are inspiring and exciting stories, with heroic characters fighting for their ideals. The novels portray events with profound and timeless significance, challenging readers to decide not just what will happen to particular characters, but what their own lives and the world should be like.

Anthem

This novelette tells of a dark world of the future, a society so collectivized that even the word “I” has vanished from the language and one man’s defiance of that society. Anthem’s theme is: the meaning and glory of man’s ego. Anthem is appropriate for grades 9 and 10.

“The students loved this novel. They were intrigued from the beginning to the end. The word spread and I had students from other classes coming in to borrow the book. I think it rates as an all time favorite.”—9th grade teacher from Georgia

The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead is the story of an innovative, uncompromisingly independent architect, Howard Roark, and his battle against a tradition-worshipping society. Its theme is “individualism versus collectivism, not in politics, but in man’s soul.” Ayn Rand presented here for the first time her projection of an ideal man. The Fountainhead is appropriate for grades 11 and 12.

“I love teaching the story because it forces students to think on their own.”—High school teacher from Pennsylvania
All you have to do is teach the book!

With the generous help of our donors and your local businesses, the Ayn Rand Institute is providing free copies of Ayn Rand’s novels, along with teacher’s guides and lesson plans, to high schools in the US and Canada. If you are a teacher, and you would like to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to teach Ayn Rand’s novels in your classroom, please complete our request form.

“Seeing [my students’] enthusiasm, another teacher taught [Anthem] to her sections as well.”—High school teacher in Virginia

“[The Fountainhead] provoked much class discussion. One student said it encouraged her to stand up to her parents on her career choice. I like the idea of individualism and independent thinking. It is a well-written piece of literature.”—11th grade teacher

Anthem Centenary Edition

“I like the thorough teacher’s guide. I believe her books are contemporary classics.”—High school teacher in Wisconsin

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead might have some value in high school classrooms for discussion as long as they're not treated like some holy bible of economic theory, but that's probably not what this person intended.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

RagnarokAngel posted:

Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead might have some value in high school classrooms for discussion as long as they're not treated like some holy bible of economic theory, but that's probably not what this person intended.
They are badly written books that aren't suited for a high school English class. Also, the only redeemable book in Ayn Rand's corpus is Anthem, which is actually just a ripoff of Yevgeny Zamyatin's We.

The gargantuan nature of her books, the horrendous writing, and the graphic rape scenes (which are not treated as instances of rape in the stories) really make it hard to think that teaching them in high school is a good idea.

Also, nobody has ever read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well discussing why their crappy was what I was getting at :v:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well discussing why their crappy was what I was getting at :v:

Do you honestly think that's all that's going to happen? Look at how American schools handle discussing creationism and "alternative theories" (HA!) to climate change.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Which is why I said that's probably not what the author of that flyer intended?

Also my school never discussed creationism/Intelligent design or anything that suggested climate change wasn't true, but I live in New England so I realize that's quite a bit different than the south east.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

The Texas gubernatorial race. All the Republicans have to do to win is complain about how black the President is and keep the misogyny under wraps. That's it. Just talk about death panels and Obamacare and not mention Wendy Da-Wendy-Wen----RAAAAARRGHH WENDY DAVIS WHAT A GOLDDIGGING WHORE!! WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES

It's like an early preview of this thread after 2016 :smith:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
A little over a decade ago there was some group offering a college scholarship for writing an essay on Atlas Shrugged. I feel like that explains a lot.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

borkencode posted:

A little over a decade ago there was some group offering a college scholarship for writing an essay on Atlas Shrugged. I feel like that explains a lot.

"Our group has pooled together money so that you can go to college and learn about things that have been discovered and refined by centuries if not millennia of scholarly succession if you write an essay about why collectivism is bad."

Then again, the number of "government can't do anything right" libertarians on public college campuses has always been a :psyduck: thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They are badly written books that aren't suited for a high school English class. Also, the only redeemable book in Ayn Rand's corpus is Anthem, which is actually just a ripoff of Yevgeny Zamyatin's We.

The gargantuan nature of her books, the horrendous writing, and the graphic rape scenes (which are not treated as instances of rape in the stories) really make it hard to think that teaching them in high school is a good idea.

Also, nobody has ever read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

Anthem is still a pretty bad book. It almost works but Rand has the main character just be so good at science its ridiculous. He literally goes from not having electricity to inventing the lightbulb.

The Fountainhead is kind of funny if you read it without knowing anything about Rand because for a good chunk of the book you can read it the opposite of the way she wants you to. The "hero" comes off as an rear end in a top hat who doesn't get work because he refuses to listen to what his clients want and just designs what he wants, which is kind of a problem for an architect. While the "bad" architect is successful because he designs buildings that are in style.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Saw this flyer in the library :smith::

High school is a good time for people to go through their Ayn Rand phase, since teenagers are self-centered anyway. Then they get over it by the end of their freshman year of college. At least that's what I did.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 23, 2014

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
WHITES ARE THE ONES THAT ARE REALLY OPPRESSED.

Apparently he has never heard of the Latin Kings, MS-13, or biker gangs because apparently gangs that aren't black are pretty much negligible?

This guy is a quintessential libertarian who has one of the biggest persecution complex's I've ever come across. He's constantly yelling about reverse racism or the apparent demonization of fat people (he is very obese).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I went to the American Library Association conference last summer and The Ayn Rand Institute had a booth there to promote their new editions of Ayn Rand's books and their scholarship program. They were even handing out free copies of her books, along with a squeezy lightbulb! Were I a bolder person, I would have asked the College Republican-looking guy manning the booth how he reconciled the idea that fiction books have anything to say to us with the idea that only facts and reality matter, but I'm shy so I just got Anthem and a lightbulb for my dad.

Anyway, anyone who's tempted to read Anthem should just listen to Rush's "2112." It tells the same story in 20 minutes and in a much more interesting way.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Scruff McGruff posted:

This guy is a quintessential libertarian who has one of the biggest persecution complex's I've ever come across. He's constantly yelling about reverse racism or the apparent demonization of fat people (he is very obese).

>libertarians.txt

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I went to the American Library Association conference last summer and The Ayn Rand Institute had a booth there to promote their new editions of Ayn Rand's books and their scholarship program. They were even handing out free copies of her books, along with a squeezy lightbulb! Were I a bolder person, I would have asked the College Republican-looking guy manning the booth how he reconciled the idea that fiction books have anything to say to us with the idea that only facts and reality matter, but I'm shy so I just got Anthem and a lightbulb for my dad.

Anyway, anyone who's tempted to read Anthem should just listen to Rush's "2112." It tells the same story in 20 minutes and in a much more interesting way.

So Anthem's about an ancient race of aliens making their return by destroying the guitar-smashing authoritarian government of Earth, and drive the protagonist to suicide after they reach out to him in his dreams and show him how awesome their poo poo was? :v:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Regalingualius posted:

So Anthem's about an ancient race of aliens making their return by destroying the guitar-smashing authoritarian government of Earth, and drive the protagonist to suicide after they reach out to him in his dreams and show him how awesome their poo poo was? :v:

The same basic story, okay? :rolleyes: They're both about a guy living under a collectivist regime who discovers marvelous lost technology and presents it to the ruling council, only to have them reject it for being too disruptive. There's no society other than the regime in Anthem, just a house some dude set up in the past that the protagonist and his girlfriend run away to in the end.

EDIT: Also a loooooot of filler gets cut out

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Swan Oat posted:

I used to work for a guy who would routinely disregard traffic laws because he was loaded. I remember once he and I spent eight or nine weeks at a client site, and every day he would park his car illegally and get booted. Every day he would pay $50 to get the property managers to remove the boot, all so he didn't have to park in the garage. At the time, $50 was over half of what I made in an eight hour day. Needless to say this grated someone.

But I think you will find that this is the American way.

That only works for private applications- for traffic laws just about all states use a points system you can't pay your way out of.

RagnarokAngel posted:

There's never a good time to read Ayn Rand. The books may only operate on some segments of the population, but they're sophisticated indoctrination tools effecting the disaffected, especially the privileged disaffected. The ones who stay indoctrinated tend to be the ones who are already on a trajectory toward power and influence-it's part of why Objectivism is so drat enduring (think Paul Ryan and the Rand family). I spent some time thinking about what a copy of Atlas Shrugged would need to be "safe" for a high school audience- I settled on rhetoric annotations on every page, thick censorship shrinkwrapping on the shelves, and a yellow caution tape cover with a warning label from the Surgeon General.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 23, 2014