Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

ruddiger posted:

Is the negative space of the ghoul thing supposed to form a letter or a number? It looks like it's supposed to but I can't figure it out.

Looks like it's maybe supposed to be his lightning bolt scar, but isn't quite there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mondo's new 300 2 poster.

It's interesting. I'll give it that.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It makes me hungry.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

Dunno yet but I am gonna watch the balls out of it.

This did not live up to the cover art, as most of these flicks fail to do. The stories aren't horrific, just simple morality plays. There is absolutely no gore or decay, like the cover suggests, and the title Shock Chamber is a complete non sequitur. The original title Greedy Terror is a lot more appropriate as all stories have to do with great.

Aside from the exchange I mentioned before, there's not a whole lot going for it but a good sense of sincerity in the filmmaking. But that only gets you so far.

I enjoyed it, but it's no hidden treasure.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
You guys are watching Emmeritus flicks now? You poor bastards.
In all honesty though, I actually like some of them, such as Body Count.
http://www.canuxploitation.com/article/emmeritus.html

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MachineryNoise posted:

You guys are watching Emmeritus flicks now? You poor bastards.
In all honesty though, I actually like some of them, such as Body Count.
http://www.canuxploitation.com/article/emmeritus.html

Man that site bashes them all, but it's nice to see my sentiment echo'd:

quote:

Greedy Terror
(AKA Deadly Pursuit, Shock Chamber) 1985, Starring Doug Stone, Jacqueline Samuda and Russell Ferrier. Directed by Steve DiMarco.
While Emmeritus' attempt at an anthology thriller falls on the earnest side of their sensibility, it can't help but tap into Lionel Shenken's usual brand of campy underachievement. "A Symbol of Victory" is the classic nebbish-slips-babe-the-love-potion story with a gangster twist, and it achieves a degree of pathos even though the characters are remote and the storyline is preposterous. "Country Hospitality," the middle episode, is a murderous hick thriller with a dash of frustrated waitress. Of the three stories, this one has the most energy, a plot that comes close to making sense, and an inspired twist ending even though the villain is a one-dimensional putz. The end piece, "The Injection," deals with two down-at-the-heels dudes who set out to cheat an insurance claim, with unpredictably tragic results. Pretty dumb, but there's something compelling about the hopeless losers at its centre, and the production values are so low that it lends the skid-row setting an authenticity that can't be bought. The jaded sex-worker dialogue in the diner is a true highlight that has nothing to do with camp. Greedy Terror's framing device has a mother telling a reporter the stories of her three sons (all played by Stone) in a church, but weren't the protagonists of "The Injection" brothers themselves? (Reviewed by Jonathan Culp)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

CelticPredator posted:

Bad, even for mondo. It's detailed but it is so devoid of creativity I don't know where to begin.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'd start with that lovely miniature Xerxes and move on from there.

Maybe the blood face Immortal mask could've done without the boat and Xerxes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
300: Rise of the BBQ Pulled Pork

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The mini-Xerxes makes me think it's a Mighty Max playset:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This is giving me Princess Mononoke flashbacks.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I don't usually poo poo on Mondo but it reminds me of ground beef.

And probably should have been gold/brown with red accents to fit in with the movie's palette a little better, unless there's a variant, I suppose.

Maybe it'd look cooler/less like meat if it were done in bloody-looking watercolors. I'd like to see that, actually.

gregday
May 23, 2003

muike posted:

There is an actual human being named Imogen Poots

Her name is Imogen Gay Poots.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
P.S. I'll find my poots
Who took my poots
Who found my poots

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Poots was also in the recent (and excellent) Filth but didn't get to do all that much.

E: On that note:

loving hash tags.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 25, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

#filth is a one-word description of Twitter if I ever saw one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

Speaking of which, I always thought that had a neat poster:

It's also a really, really good movie. A friend of mine says it's the most disturbing movie he's ever watched - OK, he's a Christian, but the voyeuristic aspect of it just freaked him out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's also a really, really good movie. A friend of mine says it's the most disturbing movie he's ever watched - OK, he's a Christian, but the voyeuristic aspect of it just freaked him out.

The cast they got it also really sold it. A pre-Arrested Development Will Arnett is not just the voice-over guy, but makes an appearance at the end as the producer. It's largely a cast of unknowns, with the actress who plays Dawn being the only one who had a major role in a feature film (she's Catherine Martin from Silence Of The Lambs. I remember seeing actress who played the old Catholic nurse in a commercial for aspirin or something and immediately having a reaction because of her role in this film.

I kinda wish they had gone with the alternate ending where the two contestants are beaten to death trying to escape a mob angry that one of them didn't kill the other. A running theme about the show is that this largely the fault of the audience and that ending really nails that aspect.

Kinda wish Daniel Minahan would do more films, but it seems that he's fairly successful on television, directing episodes of Six Feet Under, Deadwood, True Blood and Game Of Thrones.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

It came from Etsy.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Harry Potter

So... where can I buy this?

Violator
May 15, 2003

With all of this Robocop talk, I was wondering if the 80's version ever made it clear whether Murphy's:

1. Skin was stretched over a fake robotic face underneath to simulate his human face. If so, was the skin real or fake?
2. Or his actual skull/face muscles/etc attached to his metal head?

I always assumed it was #2, but looking at some of those photos of his exposed head are a little more disturbing than I remember. Also, I can't remember, are any of his bones or human body in the machine? I know that some of the Robocop 2 prototypes had human bodies in them, but the final Robocop 2 only had that dude's brain in it.

I need to watch Robocop again!

Edit: Sorry, just realized this should probably go in the Robocop thread. If this isn't appropriate, I'll move it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He has to be fed baby food, so he still has organs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh boy

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Duckula posted:

It came from Etsy.

Cutout is the worst photoshop filter.
The kerning in these, somehow, manages to be even more offensive than the lovely use of the shittiest filter.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Violator posted:

With all of this Robocop talk, I was wondering if the 80's version ever made it clear whether Murphy's:

1. Skin was stretched over a fake robotic face underneath to simulate his human face. If so, was the skin real or fake?
2. Or his actual skull/face muscles/etc attached to his metal head?

I always assumed it was #2, but looking at some of those photos of his exposed head are a little more disturbing than I remember. Also, I can't remember, are any of his bones or human body in the machine? I know that some of the Robocop 2 prototypes had human bodies in them, but the final Robocop 2 only had that dude's brain in it.

I need to watch Robocop again!

Edit: Sorry, just realized this should probably go in the Robocop thread. If this isn't appropriate, I'll move it.

I believe it's 1. One of the few redeeming scenes from RoboCop 2 is when Murphy's wife visits him in HQ:

quote:

Ellen Murphy: [sees Robocop without his helmet] Alex, is it really you?
RoboCop: [gets up and walks to her, mesh metal fence separating them]
Ellen Murphy: [crying] Don't you remember me? Whatever they've done to you... whatever has happened, we can work it out... start again...
RoboCop: [leans forward] Touch me.
Ellen Murphy: [she touches his lip, downhearted] It's cold.
RoboCop: They made this to honor him.
Ellen Murphy: [crying] No...
RoboCop: Your husband is dead. I don't know you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I had no idea what this was a poster for until I saw the URL. Now I know how normal people feel when they see some nerd bait poster.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hey the space needle! (It's a metaphor)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

effectual posted:

Hey the space needle! (It's a metaphor)

It's a metaphor for a stupidly tall building.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am really curious to see how well 50 Shades does and so should all nerds because this may be the beginning of another rated R renaissance.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am really curious to see how well 50 Shades does and so should all nerds because this may be the beginning of another rated R renaissance.

There's a rumor that they will release both an R-rated and NC-17 version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't make a lot of sense to do that, it would make more sense to go R, then an unrated version or whatever when it comes to home video.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm ecstatic for it for all sorts of reasons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same. I'm really curious to see how explicit it is because I miss uncomfortably steamy erotic dramas.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Same. I'm really curious to see how explicit it is because I miss uncomfortably steamy erotic dramas.

Isn't most of the novel about her being kidnapped or some poo poo? They will probably only have time for some light spanking in the run time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I do like they went with a no namer. Jamie Dornan is nobody on any radar so it could make or break his career.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I do like they went with a no namer. Jamie Dornan is nobody on any radar so it could make or break his career.

Is there really any debate? It will destroy any of his future prospects. Maybe he will get a few roles from it, but by the time the trilogy has finished he'll be on a downward trend that ends in TV acting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there really any debate? It will destroy any of his future prospects. Maybe he will get a few roles from it, but by the time the trilogy has finished he'll be on a downward trend that ends in TV acting.

So then why was Hunnam pretending he was too good for it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So then why was Hunnam pretending he was too good for it?

Because he's already achieved what this film will eventually lead to?

Why would any actor want to do Fifty Shades of Grey unless it was a career boost? Hunnam was just clever enough to look at all the similar roles in passed years and realise that the people who had them have basically benefited very little.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PriorMarcus posted:

He's already doing TV acting I believe so it'll be no real transition for him :v:

If he has any actual acting chops he'll break the cycle. If he doesn't then definitely that's the usual road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

Because he's already achieved what this film will eventually lead to?

Why would any actor want to do Fifty Shades of Grey unless it was a career boost? Hunnam was just clever enough to look at all the similar roles in passed years and realise that the people who had them have basically benefited very little.

It would be a step up for Hunnam, IMO.