Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

99 Headmates posted:

They've also had their fair share of failures. They tried to develop an app to encourage women to go to the gym, but it didn't take off. “We didn't really understand women as well as we thought we did,” says Bouguettaya.

this is beautiful, i could hang this in a museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Herman Merman posted:

no, it's not fine
it produces socially crippled people, illiterates, libertarians and bitcoiners

and none of those idiots come out of public school right

i know some people who had DEEPLY hosed up homeschooling but i also know some who are perfectly fine. homeschooling isnt "lock your kid in a room and read them the bible" to most people.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Herman Merman posted:

no, it's not fine
it produces socially crippled people, illiterates, libertarians and bitcoiners

oh, you were home schooled?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Epic Hamcat posted:

oh, you were home schooled?

lol sick burn bro

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
My name is Robness(neo-rave rocker in l.a).....I have officially declared that I will not accept U.S dollar anymore. Crypto has got my faith in the future and I intend to hit the streets...to be continued... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 hours ago by RobnessCumba

https://www.soundcloud.com/Robness if anyone is interested (this is not a promotional thing....) I just wanted to state my love for this oncoming revolution and can't wait for the liberation of musicians without major labels getting their due. Much love, style and grace.

[–]r_melee 4 points 2 hours ago

Robness I'm a musician in la too. Find me. I'm playing a show tomorrow night at loaded on Hollywood blvd. @shooterjennings on twitter

[–]RobnessCumba[S] 1 point 36 minutes ago

Sweet! See...I was apprehensive about posting but these kind of responses are totally worth dealing with the hater comments. Will try to make it out tomorrow night. Thanks for the invite!

[–]jehnubis 5 points 5 hours ago

Nice to to know but dont tell us redditers how you feel. Run out and convince all your friends, family, and co-workers about you thoughts. When you do live events tell your audience you accept bitcoins with large qr codes etc.

You'll be doing better justice spreading the word in your community.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Thank sweet baby jesus the reddit quoting guy is back with the good poo poo from there

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

...! posted:

neo-rave rocker in l.a.

i just vomited

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

i like ...!s posting

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
im a stand up comedian in chicago but I refuse to accept any payment but turkish lira and bags of crushed aluminum cans

what do you mean you dont want to hire me?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I am going to the MtGox offices IN-PERSON next week to demand attention for my stuck funds. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 55 minutes ago by croketg29

I did a furikomi (Japan domestic bank transfer) in December for a large amount and forgot to include my payer ID number, so they have the funds but they were never applied to my account. After many many emails/tickets I've gotten no help.

Luckily I live in Tokyo, so I can get to their office easily.

Any ideas on how best to do this? Best case scenario I knock on the door and they listen to me and fix my problem. Worst case is they call the cops I guess.

Any advice? Good idea? Bad idea?

[–]NeilDeSnowden 1 point 4 minutes ago

Honestly it would probably work. Go in with a list of accounts that need their BTC withdrawn (to their withdrawal address on their accounts) immediately for personal reasons. Be polite, and just say this list of people from reddit need to cash out asap and ask if they would they be able to do it now.

[–]joshnorris14 2 points 46 minutes ago

A shakedown is necessary every once in a while.

[–]croketg29[S] 1 point 38 minutes ago

Maybe it was a mistake to make this post. If they see it they might bolster security to make sure I can't even get to them. Should I delete?

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
what does furikomi mean?

it means japanese domestic bank transfer

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

I did a furikomi (Japan domestic bank transfer) in 12 tsuki (December) for a large konbanwa (amount) and forgot to include my anaru no fetsuru (payer ID number), so they have the fushinoko no tamawato (funds) but they were never applied to my lolita anaru danjon (account).

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
You aren't allowed to call yourself a rocker

...!
Oct 5, 2003

http://bitcoinfinancialassociation.org/ :stare:

This gigantic rambling letter to regulators hits most of the libertarian credos. "Regulation of bitcoins is a bad idea" is woven throughout it but it also has plenty of poo poo like "money laundring is not a crime!" "violence!" and other insane bullshit. It's worth the read.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

he even mentions "thought crime" at one point

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
You can use bitcoin to buy Bitcoin Soap but if you use one you probably have no use for the other.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

It's worth the read.

The Bitcoin Financial Association posted:

The Effect of Regulation on Crime Relative to the Effect of Regulation on Honest Businesspeople

As we’ve seen for many years, a cliché with a solid ring of truth is that criminals do not follow laws.

Regulations often overwhelmingly affect those who wish to run honest and compliant businesses. In the financial industry we see gross violations of fraud regulations, penny stock pump and dump schemes, illegal promotion of stocks, market manipulation, elder fraud, foreign beneficiary letter scams, computer hacking, and theft. All of these very damaging actions are overwhelmingly committed by people outside of the regulatory system. These crimes are committed by criminals who do not particularly care what the new regulations are because they will not follow these regulations; criminals will lie to their victims, forge prospectuses and evade regulatory authorities at every turn. Foreign beneficiary letter scams, for example, are so common that they are essentially unenforced due to the difficulty in tracking the perpetrators.

Existing provisions within the financial industry, such as the tracking of email by registered representatives, for example, present huge compliance cost burdens for honest, well-intentioned and ethical companies. While the costs to efficiency, economic growth and jobs is significant, the reward in terms of crime prevented or prosecuted is minimal. Clearly the worst criminals or even criminal elements within existing established financial structures, will simply ignore such regulations and establish email addresses outside of supervisory structure. The now infamous case of Bernie Madoff is a prime example of someone who was violating existing rules and laws where all the new regulations we could imagine would not have prevented his criminal actions, only better enforcement of existing rules.

tl;dr "laws only hurt those who don't break them"

e: i like how the larger implication here is "don't make any more laws, you know you'll only regret it later"

InShaneee fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 5, 2014

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

...! posted:

https://www.soundcloud.com/Robness if anyone is interested (this is not a promotional thing....)

lol

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

psychedelictronic rock

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

here's my floundering soundcloud page. this is not a promotional thing

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

never stop posting ...!

ewer dewing god's work

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
epic hamcat should continue complaining about it for 2000 pages

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

two kotoba

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

this is very gakuse op

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

preemptive reminder: don't reply to bitcoin stymie

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Lamont Cranston posted:

i'm not sure why you'd go out of your way to say you don't understand japanese or latin
i mean i imagine he doesn't understand most languages why single those out

why latin specifically

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FrozenVent posted:

you must be new to this bitcoin thing

my favorite was the guy who begged for real donation so he could buy virtual food for virtual rabbits in a virtual shelter in second life

he was totally serious about it too

the best was the guy who had the idea to put a mouse in a deathtrap to promote bitcoin. he wanted to name it something cute like sunshine and make some youtube videos of it dancing or something to the song "you are my sunshine". then he'd put the mouse in a cage with a moveable partition blocking it from some deadly hazard, like poison food. you could donate with bitcoin to move the partition up some, allowing sunshine to pass and killing it, or you could donate with paypal to lower the partition, saving sunshine. at the end of the day, the level of the partition would be determined by the difference between bitcoin and paypal donations. of course, paypal loves to pull the plug on charities, so eventually it would freeze all the donated funds, removing all the funds that were protecting sunshine's life, raising the partition enough to let the mouse be killed.

this would make peeps hate paypal and realize what a terrible broken system it is, and everyone would adopt bitcoin.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

Condiv posted:

the best was the guy who had the idea to put a mouse in a deathtrap to promote bitcoin. he wanted to name it something cute like sunshine and make some youtube videos of it dancing or something to the song "you are my sunshine". then he'd put the mouse in a cage with a moveable partition blocking it from some deadly hazard, like poison food. you could donate with bitcoin to move the partition up some, allowing sunshine to pass and killing it, or you could donate with paypal to lower the partition, saving sunshine. at the end of the day, the level of the partition would be determined by the difference between bitcoin and paypal donations. of course, paypal loves to pull the plug on charities, so eventually it would freeze all the donated funds, removing all the funds that were protecting sunshine's life, raising the partition enough to let the mouse be killed.

this would make peeps hate paypal and realize what a terrible broken system it is, and everyone would adopt bitcoin.

Hrm yes. I hate PayPal now that bitcoiners donated to kill a mouse.

+/u/paypaltip $5 verify

...!
Oct 5, 2003

unsurprisingly, the bitcoiners are so clueless that they don't understand that the colbert report is satire:

Stephen Colbert Gets Bitcoin Right (southernmarylandpokemon.com)

submitted 9 hours ago by ninetales1234

[–]zefy_zef 2 points 4 hours ago

Hah, imagine if he had converted his Super PAC into BTC! That would be something..

[–]jehnubis 1 point 2 hours ago

I agree with Colbert and i think bitcoin is worth 800 trillion dollars, marketcap. Will the online world agree with me?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

...! posted:

unsurprisingly, the bitcoiners are so clueless that they don't understand that the colbert report is satire:

Stephen Colbert Gets Bitcoin Right (southernmarylandpokemon.com)

submitted 9 hours ago by ninetales1234

[–]zefy_zef 2 points 4 hours ago

Hah, imagine if he had converted his Super PAC into BTC! That would be something..

[–]jehnubis 1 point 2 hours ago

I agree with Colbert and i think bitcoin is worth 800 trillion dollars, marketcap. Will the online world agree with me?

this image is one date from an awful obituary

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
http://falkvinge.net/2014/02/04/major-bitcoin-exchange-not-executing-withdrawals-now-owes-clients-38m-in-disappeared-money/

"MtGox, the oldest and once-largest bitcoin exchange, appears to have a serious problem. Since about a week ago, clients’ bitcoin withdrawals have been deducted from their account, but the clients never received the money – the money withdrawn was effectively disappeared into thin air. The community is furious and as of now, MtGox has racked up over USD 38 million in such unfulfilled withdrawals"

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

its ok though because people know not to use them now

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

and at the end of the article posted:

DISCLOSURE
The author is personally affected by MtGox’ behavior, having a six-figure dollar amount in such non-executed withdrawals. He considered Gox to be a safer repository for bitcoin than his own probably-hackable computer. That judgment may not have been accurate.

free market bithc

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

That judgment may not have been accurate.

Hmm, magic the gathering online exchange. Yup sounds legit I'll just send $100k there.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'll once again note that falkvinge is a sort-of real swedish politician, having founded the not entirely unsuccessful pirate party

he likes to attach himself to all manner of awful things

:sweden:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Why is there a $100 price gap betweem mtgox and the other exchanges. surely there's some potetial for arbitrage there

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

pointsofdata posted:

Why is there a $100 price gap betweem mtgox and the other exchanges. surely there's some potetial for arbitrage there

Arbitrage would require some way of getting your money out of mtgox, which also answers your first question.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

k-zed posted:

http://falkvinge.net/2014/02/04/major-bitcoin-exchange-not-executing-withdrawals-now-owes-clients-38m-in-disappeared-money/

"MtGox, the oldest and once-largest bitcoin exchange, appears to have a serious problem. Since about a week ago, clients’ bitcoin withdrawals have been deducted from their account, but the clients never received the money – the money withdrawn was effectively disappeared into thin air. The community is furious and as of now, MtGox has racked up over USD 38 million in such unfulfilled withdrawals"

its happening?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

its ok though because people know not to use them now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

homeschooling isnt "lock your kid in a room and read them the bible" to most people.
Homeschooling only serves one purpose, it allows creepy parents control the information and influences their children are subjected to.
It relies on the assumptions that social interaction with peers is unnecessary and that the parents know better than professional teachers and the people who design the common curriculum.

• Locked thread