Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I started playing Awakening again while I wait for Bravely Default to come out and I forgot how hilarious some of the support conversations are. Half of them are sorta meaningful character growth and the other half are just weird hijinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I prefer localized Henry. He's a guy that knows everything's going to hell and just has the time of his life during it. His support with Olivia kind of messes her character up a bit though, I think (I don't think she'd ever see this as a positive thing), but Olivia is already the worst character in the game, so it doesn't really matter much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, even if you think it's better, I can at least see the argument for not completely changing a character's personality in localization/translation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The most recent 8-4 podcast touched on this very subject and had Alexander O. Smith as a guest for the discussion.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

WrightOfWay posted:

If you are playing on an emulator you can use Action Replay codes to gain infinite BEXP.
Err... can we discuss emulator issues here? I seem to recall several LP's mentioning that they're emulating the game, but still.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Err... can we discuss emulator issues here? I seem to recall several LP's mentioning that they're emulating the game, but still.

As long as you don't talk about :filez: it's fine. There is even a thread for the Gamecube and Wii emulator Dolphin.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Even having played it before, killing everyone bar your 14 favorite units in Shadow Dragon feels so bizzare.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the people who think the change is worse are the kind of people who would only ever accept 1:1 direct translations because :japan:.

Hell, those people probably think localized Gregor is a travesty compared to the boring and generic old man he originally was characterized as.

I actually think that the localised versions of FE are almost always the better ones. Even putting aside rewriting Gregor and Henry to make them not-boring, in FE10 a major plot point was actually changed in localisation and the plot was better off for it. Specifically, in the original Japanese version the Black Knight tells Ike that Ike beat him in FE9 because his warp powder malfunctioned so his soul wasn't in the armour or something ridiculously stupid like that, while in the localised version the Black Knight says that he let Ike win, using reasons that have always existed and work well with the story. I can't imagine how even the most :japan: of people would somehow think the original version was better, because come on, that poo poo was loving dumb.

Although on the flipside the extended script in FE10 that you got for playing on the harder difficulties didn't make it to the localised version. :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The odd thing about that change is, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that complained about it. Even on other sites, people seemed to agree that the original version was really dumb.

Fire Emblem is a weird series.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I finished FE4 for the first time. (FE4 spoilers ahead, for anyone who cares to avoid such things still.)

First things first I'll preface this with the fact I played it once quite a few years ago so it was kinda overhyped in my mind. So I tried to view it with a modern perspective.

I can understand why people would call it the best game in the series. It has a lot of really cool, impressive new things along with elements that still stand up on their own merits today, like the awesome maps. The sense of scale is so different, it's completely different from another strategy RPG.

A few things fell flat. The overall sound and visual quality wouldn't compare favorably to say, Link to the past or even Thracia though the agebut I think that's because I got overhyped by the internet and friends of mine mentioning it. does kinda excuse that. The gameplay itself is kinda unbalanced and lacking in variety but the latter continues to this day and the former, well, it was the fourth game. It had a ways to go yet :v:. The atmosphere was pretty cool but the music didn't always match. It was pretty upbeat compared to the darker, gloomier enviroments most of the game took place in.

It's a little unfortunate that despite the fewer characters they didn't get much screen time. Some of the subs got a little more then the normal gen 2 kids, but it also happened to the villains. Alvis flip-flopped between every appearance. Azrel dying was kinda odd with how he got portrayed as caring for him, but I guess that could've been chalked up to justifying it as a greater good sort of thing. Trabant and Arione were interesting, but Arione didn't get anything to say at the end and Trabant lacked screentime too. Ishtar was bizarre because she was sorta portrayed symapthetically but she was dating Satan more or less. I'd imagine some of that would've been resolved if part 3 wasn't sadly cut for space and time restrictions. That's probably why they never bothered properly filling out enemy Holy Blood either, I suppose. There were a few other things that bothered me, but I didn't make notes of things I liked and disliked so they've slipped my mind.

The last level was a bit of a letdown in lack of difficulty. I think the game might've benefited from it being inside Barhara itself. A little less room to manuever and so on, though with the cruder AI that might not make much difference.

Ultimately I think it's one of the games I'd really like to see a modern remake of, up there with stuff like Deus Ex. The cut content would be pretty cool if it was done with care.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If memory serves right, Azel was murdered by Manfloy because he tried to confront Alvis, and Manfloy was afraid he would succeed. His stoned body is in Yield. So yeah, no inconsistency here.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

If memory serves right, Azel was murdered by Manfloy because he tried to confront Alvis, and Manfloy was afraid he would succeed. His stoned body is in Yield. So yeah, no inconsistency here.

That was the plan when there was a gen3, but in the end :iiam:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, it still is according to I-don't-recall-which supplement which details the fate of a lot of 1st gen characters. It just never comes up in game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Well, it still is according to I-don't-recall-which supplement which details the fate of a lot of 1st gen characters. It just never comes up in game.

Yeah, Kaga mentioned it in an interview. I know the one you mean. But it was supposed to be a part of the Part 3 stuff so I have no idea if it's still supposed to be canon. I think in the same one Claude Valkyrie'd Tiltyu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Never let Kaga write again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Never let Kaga write again.
FE4's plot came across pretty well but I imagine that he had like, editors and stuff, not to mention being constrained by being on SNES. As opposed to tearring saga, where he was just let loose to be as stupid as he wanted.

The FE4 mangas do a decent job of expanding on things, even if the art can get a bit odd at times (Hannibal's pencil beard) though I do like that one of them cuts out Holyn and Beowulf just because the author didn't like them. :v:

Also, a couple of amazing gags.

Also also, most of the music in FE4 is kinda forgettable, but I really adore Lion King Eltshan.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Even with all the editing FE4 probably had, all of Kaga's weird fetishes or whatever you want to call them leaked into the game. He has some weird obsession with kids getting murdered/enslaved/marrying people 3 times their age, not to mention all the loving incest.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I'd disagree with FE4's music being forgettable. Honestly I think it has some of the best music in the series, and there's an album of orchestral arrangements of all the map themes which is really excellent. Sure some of the enemy army themes are forgettable, but I think that's true for basically the whole series.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What's a good fifth skill to put on Sorcerers in Awakening? I'm running Vantage, Vengeance, Armsthrift, and Limit Break and don't know what else to fit in. Wrath seems like a really mediocre option, and Tomefaire is just filler until I can replace it with LB.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Shortest Path posted:

What's a good fifth skill to put on Sorcerers in Awakening? I'm running Vantage, Vengeance, Armsthrift, and Limit Break and don't know what else to fit in. Wrath seems like a really mediocre option, and Tomefaire is just filler until I can replace it with LB.

Keep Tomefaire. Almost everybody who has access to their -faire skill should use it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Keep Tomefaire. Almost everybody who has access to their -faire skill should use it.

Does the +5 really end up making that much of a difference compared to the utility skills? I guess there really isn't much else for them, any of the mastery skills are redundant with Vengeance and Galeforce is useless.

Thanks!

e: For the record I have Noire, Morgan, and Gregor!Laurent all running identical builds, so this is nice for them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Does the +5 really end up making that much of a difference compared to the utility skills? I guess there really isn't much else for them, any of the mastery skills are redundant with Vengeance and Galeforce is useless.

Thanks!

e: For the record I have Noire, Morgan, and Gregor!Laurent all running identical builds, so this is nice for them.

The general priority for skills, at least for Apotheosis (and for any lesser map it just doesn't matter what you have) is:

-Galeforce
-Things that let you get ORKOs when you otherwise wouldn't (luna, aether, astra, etc)
-Things that let you finish off enemies that someone else failed to ORKO (-faire skills, str+2, etc)
-Movement-boosting skills
-Everything else

At least in my experience.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Thanks!

There really isn't much else that would really work in that slot - maybe Deliverer or something passive like Counter or Wrath, but there isn't that much that a Sorcerer desperately needs, they're pretty much the best class in the game.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Thanks!

I wouldn't really say galeforce is useless, but I suppose you'll probably be going for a more defensive build, considering you have vantage. Galeforce is pretty handy, combined with an aggressor pairup, in making sure you almost never break formation, but it's also not necessary to have.

The reason +5 is useful is that it's effectively 5 levels worth of stats, and sorcerors don't really benefit from the utility skills they have. There's fun things you can do with wrath if you have the skill, things like Luna are almost must-haves, or you could get hilariously tanky with aegis and such, but Tomefaire is really good considering that it gives you 5 free levels in your primary attack stat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

I wouldn't really say galeforce is useless, but I suppose you'll probably be going for a more defensive build, considering you have vantage. Galeforce is pretty handy, combined with an aggressor pairup, in making sure you almost never break formation, but it's also not necessary to have.

The reason +5 is useful is that it's effectively 5 levels worth of stats, and sorcerors don't really benefit from the utility skills they have. There's fun things you can do with wrath if you have the skill, things like Luna are almost must-haves, or you could get hilariously tanky with aegis and such, but Tomefaire is really good considering that it gives you 5 free levels in your primary attack stat.

Oh Galeforce is definitely very good, I just don't like it so much on tank sorcerers because they rarely get kills on your turn. It goes on basically every other possible unit, though, along with Aggressor if they're male.

I see where you guys are coming from on tomefaire though, I'll use that for sure. And probably wrath as a placeholder until I get limit break.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 7, 2014

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I got Noire up to lv. 15 Dark Flier on my Hard playthough. Is it worth getting her Bowfaire before turning her into a Bow Assassin? Dragging around a Sniper for 15 levels sounds bleh.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Out of curiosity are supports capped in Awakening like they are in previous games? I am worried about locking some characters into a destiny of man-love.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Nope, everyone gets unlimited supports, with the exception that each character only gets one S support.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Oh that's pretty cool! I should do those because I need all the bonuses I can get. I'm still only on chapter 5 and trying to get the Troubadour and Mage out without anyone dying is...challenging!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

HiKaizer posted:

Oh that's pretty cool! I should do those because I need all the bonuses I can get. I'm still only on chapter 5 and trying to get the Troubadour and Mage out without anyone dying is...challenging!

Rescue Staff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HiKaizer posted:

If you do Paralogue 2, one of the chests has a rescue staff. If you pair them up and run as far down as they can on the cliff, Lissa should be able to rescue them to the bottom of the map.

Good luck! That's probably the most challenging regular chapter.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's Paralogue 1 that has the Rescue staff, actually. Paralogue 2 has a Physic staff.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

I'd disagree with FE4's music being forgettable. Honestly I think it has some of the best music in the series, and there's an album of orchestral arrangements of all the map themes which is really excellent. Sure some of the enemy army themes are forgettable, but I think that's true for basically the whole series.

Yeah, FE4 is probably tied with FE10 for my favourite music in the series. I'd kill to have an orchestral remaster of the entire soundtrack, considering how awesome the one for the chapter themes was.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

Yeah, FE4 is probably tied with FE10 for my favourite music in the series. I'd kill to have an orchestral remaster of the entire soundtrack, considering how awesome the one for the chapter themes was.

I didn't mean the ENTIRE soundtrack was bad. When The Rush Comes was pretty awesome. The map themes weren't BAD but.. I dunno. They didn't really feel like they had the right mood for the atmosphere the game felt like it was conveying.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The worst sound track was Path of Radiance. All the others were somewhere in between fairly good and excellent. PoR's was not, the "evil bad guys plotting" music almost sounds like a slightly meaner version of something in Monty Python. Compare to when say, FE7 does the same thing and it's fairly night and day.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The worst sound track was Path of Radiance. All the others were somewhere in between fairly good and excellent. PoR's was not, the "evil bad guys plotting" music almost sounds like a slightly meaner version of something in Monty Python. Compare to when say, FE7 does the same thing and it's fairly night and day.

Path of Radiance brought us the Black Knight's theme, that alone redeems the soundtrack. :colbert:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

FE9 had some gems (like the aforementioned Black Knight's theme), but on the whole it's probably one of the weaker ones. It looks even worse when its direct sequel has one of the best soundtracks in the series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

Path of Radiance brought us the Black Knight's theme, that alone redeems the soundtrack. :colbert:

Caineghis' theme is also quite good.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Bishop Rodan posted:

FE9 had some gems (like the aforementioned Black Knight's theme), but on the whole it's probably one of the weaker ones. It looks even worse when its direct sequel has one of the best soundtracks in the series.

I think basically the opposite of this. Most of FE9's tracks were really good, but then most of the new ones in FE10 were pretty meh, save a few like Dawn Brigade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How worth playing is Radiant Dawn? It's the only game in the series I haven't gotten around to playing.

Unrelated, but I remember hearing that FE:A was going to be the last game (other then the SMT crossover) because of poor sales but FE:A sold pretty well. Did Nintendo ever announce if they planned on continuing the series?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 7, 2014