Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
every single bitcoin person twitter av looks insufferable as gently caress

punchable face brigade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

uncurable mlady posted:

punchable face brigade

rename the thread please

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

uncurable mlady posted:

but lol @ algorithms not institutions dude that was arguing @ u H

that one is already classic

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

uncurable mlady posted:

twitter is really bad about long conversations

or conversations in general

reminder that twitter existed for literally years and CNN was already talking about what was happening on it before they added a way to track conversations

like, for years of time, to track a twitter conversation you had to open 2 browser tabs and work your way back through time, skipping all the things that were irrelevant

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the more i tweet the worse i post, i think theres some sort of scientific thing here

my brain cant process more than 140 characters at a time

tweet tweet

weird yospos

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the same company who made that also makes this:

http://www.jminteractive.com/

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i suspect that the reason twitter convos are broken as gently caress is because 1) whatever magic they use to db tweets is easily broken 2) if a person replies to a reply it forks the convo

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

he looks like he smells of axe body spray and misogyny

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

theflyingorc posted:

reminder that twitter existed for literally years and CNN was already talking about what was happening on it before they added a way to track conversations

like, for years of time, to track a twitter conversation you had to open 2 browser tabs and work your way back through time, skipping all the things that were irrelevant

twitter has handled convos properly for years. jsut now you get the blue line to connect conversations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Erenthal posted:

he looks like he smells of axe body spray and misogyny

Widow's whole drat mountain

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

i suspect that the reason twitter convos are broken as gently caress is because 1) whatever magic they use to db tweets is easily broken 2) if a person replies to a reply it forks the convo
it's actually just a threaded conversation view. if you want to get around that, click the earliest post in the conversation and scroll down a bunch to see all of them. if you want to use more than 140 characters but still maintain a conversation, everyone will have to reply to their own posts to keep the thread going, or else when the next person replies to your last tweet it's going to miss everything else you said except that one.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

oh my god this pathetic baby actually complained to the Department of Justice about Apple's removal of the Blockchain app being Anti-trust

quote:

Antitrust claim

Apple is removing applications from its software marketplace to give itself the competitive advantage in in-app-purchases (from which it takes a cut) and to clear the way for its upcoming mobile payment solution.

"An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct." -- DoJ summary of the The Sherman Antitrust Act 13.

I claim that Apple is suppressing competition by removing competing software services from its software marketplace.
Self-Regulation and Complications

Apple has not officially announced an upcoming mobile payment solution (a competing product or service).

In some cases, the Bitcoin App was removed because they violated Apple's software marketplace terms of use, which clearly states that "Apps must comply with all legal requirements in any location where they are made available to users. It is the developer's obligation to understand and conform to all local laws" 7.

Some countries do not allow the buying or selling of Bitcoin due to various concerns 8. Bitcoin is legal in more than 40 countries including the United States.

Some of the removed applications did not violate any laws in the countries they were offered in.

"Further demonstrating the arbitrary basis of this decision, Apple’s official communication says that the app was removed because of an “unresolved issue”, a claim that cannot even be disputed and boils down to “because we said so”. There was no communication prior to removal of this popular app, no indication of any problems and no opportunity to redress any issues, making a mockery of the claim that there was an “unresolved issue”.

-- Blockchain Limited's response to the removal of its software from the Apple software marketplace 2.

Apple has not officially stated that the removal of the Application have anything to do with its unannounced upcoming mobile payment solution.

Apple specifically disallows in-app-purchases to purchase physical goods (note that some apps do not enable consumers to purchase Bitcoin currency and were still removed): "Apps using IAP to purchase physical goods or goods and services used outside of the application will be rejected" 9.

It must be stated that Apple has reserved the right to remove content as it wishes: "Apple reserves the right to withdraw its approval of content previously approved, and You agree to stop making such content available for use within Your Application." -- iPhone Developer Program License Agreement (2009) 9.
Timeline

(2012) Blockchain Limited created a mobile application to allow consumers to spend the currency on iOS devices 2.

(Oct 2013) Coinbase, Inc creates a application Bitcoin application which allows consumers to view their account balance and view recent transactions 4.

(Oct 2013) Coinjar app is approved for the app store.

(Nov 2013) Apple removes the Coinbase app from the app store 4.

(Dec 2013) "Apple asks Gliph to remove the ability to send bitcoin despite allowing other ecommerce including PayPal and Square" 11.

(Jan 2014) Apple removes the Coinjar app from the app store 10.

(Feb 2014) Apple removes the Blockchain app from the app store 12.
Conclusion

These companies have spent vast resources in creating software to enable consumers to use the Bitcoin network to transfer money quickly and securely using their mobile devices.

While Apple may have legitimate claims against the use of these applications in countries where Bitcoin use is prohibited, the companies should be provided with the ability to alter and re-submit their applications to operate within the terms and conditions provided by Apple and international law.

Apple should not be allowed to have a competitive advantage in the mobile payment marketplace because they provide the platform. It is only fair for Apple to compete in the marketplace alongside these companies and allow Bitcoin applications in their software marketplace.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

threefive posted:

twitter has handled convos properly for years. jsut now you get the blue line to connect conversations.

that is not a contradiction to what i said

the fact that it was not existent for years was ridiculosu

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

anthonypants posted:

it's actually just a threaded conversation view. if you want to get around that, click the earliest post in the conversation and scroll down a bunch to see all of them. if you want to use more than 140 characters but still maintain a conversation, everyone will have to reply to their own posts to keep the thread going, or else when the next person replies to your last tweet it's going to miss everything else you said except that one.

there's a whole chunk of this conversation that's missing in the middle of it, and it was just me and the guy responding to each other directly at the time. the part where i was responding to the same tweet over and over again in order to make a long argument is mostly intact. the missing part was there for a long time, too, until the conversation got too long and something broke

there doesn't appear to be any logic to this at all

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
are you a real MLIS/MSIS librarian, Heresiarch?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what's a tweeter?

does it accept bitcoins?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

BeOSPOS posted:

are you a real MLIS/MSIS librarian, Heresiarch?

no, it's just a username

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

there's a whole chunk of this conversation that's missing in the middle of it, and it was just me and the guy responding to each other directly at the time. the part where i was responding to the same tweet over and over again in order to make a long argument is mostly intact. the missing part was there for a long time, too, until the conversation got too long and something broke

there doesn't appear to be any logic to this at all
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6zYkGxOB73SSE1meE8wNmxfVW8/ :iiam:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

this is asking me to request access, should it be an open share or should i just do that

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Heresiarch posted:

yeah i don't think i'm going to bother next time, it was just hard to pass up bitcoin jesus
lol bitcoiners have already forsaken roger ver

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
is he still hiding from the japanese immigration officials? they should offer a bounty of 30 litecoins

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

also re: twitter screwups, the missing tweets on that link are right where the first ajax "load the rest of the conversation" break is, so it's something to do with how twitter doesn't load a large conversation all at once, only when you scroll down far enough

this is totally irrelevant but i'm annoyed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

this is asking me to request access, should it be an open share or should i just do that
nope im dumb and forget that the default is to restrict it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

this needed another quote, it is the proclick of proclicks, the opening movements of mtgox Götterdämmerung

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

nope im dumb and forget that the default is to restrict it

it's still missing part of the conversion

ugh, it doesn't matter, nobody other than me cares

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I was wearing a bitcoin hat & a store manager at Best Buy just saw it and told me... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by dvsbyknight

That they just upgrade all the scanners in his store to be able to scan qr codes, and that he has heard internal rumors that corporate is currently testing accepting bitcoin. This is all hearsay so take it with a grain of salt but I would love to believe this!

[–]soepkip87 9 points 2 hours ago

If proven true this would be an awesome move from Best Buy. Brick and wall stores like that will have to do something special to overcome the internet age.

[–]bitskeptic 6 points 2 hours ago

I could have sworn you'd have zero reddit history/karma, posting a story like that. But you actually do have some history... I guess this is credible then.

[–]Yorn2 3 points 58 minutes ago

Posting something like this under a new account when it doesn't really need to be is usually suspicious or smacks of pumping. Since he's using his own account and even adds the disclosure of "hearsay", it adds a bit of legitimacy. You'd think at least on Best Buy employee actually owns coin though and would know about this sort of thing ahead of time.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BobHoward posted:

this needed another quote, it is the proclick of proclicks, the opening movements of mtgox Götterdämmerung

gox is now showing a lower price than the other exchanges for possibly the first time. I guess word of how hosed they are is suppressing the price even with all the manipulation.

edit:

quote:

I could have sworn you'd have zero reddit history/karma, posting a story like that. But you actually do have some history... I guess this is credible then.

:laffo:

jre fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 8, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

...! posted:

I was wearing a bitcoin hat & a store manager at Best Buy just saw it and told me... (self.Bitcoin)
if i worked retail id make it my mission to pass along "now you didnt hear it from me, but..." rumors designed to crush the sprits of my customers when they didnt pan out all day long

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that idiot's username is even "bitskeptic"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

[–]Trentskiroonie 26 points 4 hours ago

Bitcoin: Helping kids win science fairs since 2014.

Truth be told, I never thought a currency could be a valid topic for a science fair, but its cool that bitcoin is!

[–]pardax 9 points 3 hours ago

Bitcoin is not just "a currency", it's also a huge technological feat, a multi-disciplinary achievement.

[–]PotatoBadger 12 points 3 hours ago

Bitcoin is a beautiful application of math and computer science ;)

[–]yorrick21 13 points 3 hours ago

You know some kid in that class feels really lovely about his bubbling volcano right now.

[–]kimberlitepipes[S] 7 points 2 hours ago

i texted her again at school and she said that Litecoins and other alt coins are gonna be her weekend project to study them and learn more, she said tell you thanks so much !

[–]w33tad1d 3 points 3 hours ago

Congrats! I never saw a science fair at any of my schools that had an entry as cutting edge with huge future potential. At some point down the road many of the people at her school will be like: "Bitcoins, I saw a girl do a project on them like 3 years ago. Who knew it would be big. She must be rich! Was her last name Nakamoto? I don't think she was Asian. Maybe one of her parents was."

[–]kimberlitepipes[S] 6 points 2 hours ago

oh thanks so much, - i sent her a pic of this little comment section and she said tell all of you she spent recess at school with all the kids gathered around her going over paper wallets and the difference between public address and private keys, how mining works, what future bitcoins will hold for her generation, investing, hash rate, and so many other questions she said. so cute !

[–]Snowden2016 1 point 1 hour ago

Is there a National competition she might make it to?

[–]Ponulens 1 point 45 minutes ago*

If she does indeed takes this project for further competition, may I recommend adjusting her posters with something in line with:

"Since the Bitcoin innovation, while highly promising, is still in its very early development, its market is extremely volatile and for that reason I hold only portion of my money in Bitcoins....

EDIT: ..., but to help the innovation, I can always get needed amount of Bitcoins, at the time when I need to buy something"

[–]kimberlitepipes[S] 2 points 38 minutes ago

She is with me now - she says that is an excellent idea - she watched what happen last night with the slight drop possibly from mt gox and/or apple fiasco - and she bought a tiny bit when low (I am allowing her a little allowance each week for this) (she is a great kid and never asks for anything and has never got an allowance before now, oh lord) - she said she explained to people that went home and researched bitcoin after her presentation and came back to her today and questioned price drop.

She told them it was a normal, expected drop and it will stabilize. And she told them it's for long term investing ! She said thanks for the advice - she will add this to the presentation :)

[–]vdogg89 0 points 4 hours ago

Tell her congrats! It's so refreshing seeing kids get involved and females at that.

[–]hardleft121 56 points 4 hours ago

Congratulations to her and you! Thank you for keeping us updated. That project looks like something to be very proud of.

Can you make sure this gets to her?

+/u/bitcointip $25 verify

[–]SiberianShibe 4 points 1 hour ago

+/u/Dogetipbot 20 doge verify

[–]codyave 6 points 1 hour ago

bitcoin shibe, standing by!

+/u/dogetipbot 100 doge verify

[–]Ashlir 7 points 3 hours ago

Good for her!! Please pass this on.

+/u/litetip 0.38 ltc

[–]houseofchill 3 points 2 hours ago

You're welcome! The excitement is building and it will be an amazing future. Take some more and give a little to her friends :)

+/u/bitcointip 9 mbtc verify

[–]jonstern 1 point 2 hours ago

Nice! She has almost 2 BTC in her public address already!

[–]kimberlitepipes[S] 4 points 2 hours ago

I know ! She is so excited ! She seeded the address with .5 bitcoin from her own savings to start and then she has bought some small amounts a couple of times off coinbase and put it there too, but she is so grateful for r/bitcoins love ! I know she bought last night or this morning when price dropped - she told me over breakfast - she is allowed small amounts per week to invest if she chooses. I trust her. She loves you guys !

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wow, their POS scanners can read qr codes? surely that implies accepting bitcoin, which doesn't involve reading a QR code, and not any other usage of a common data format

...!
Oct 5, 2003

As a long-term AAPL investor, goodbye Apple, and goodbye iPhone. (imgur.com)

submitted 8 hours ago by habitcoiner

[–]hyliandanny 1 point 1 hour ago*

"What if apple jumps up to $1200 a share like google?"

Why do you say this? Why would anyone make a decision based on speculation?

I can respect that you believe it. Good for you. But why would you tell others this? Do you believe your speculations to be anything but?

Sorry for my tone -- it's just that I've learned so much while investing, and a lot of it is based on my actual experience in software development and project management. To hear people simply say "What if…!?" leaves very, very much unsaid while sounding conclusive.

:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

[–]thoughtxchange 0 points 3 hours ago

My aunt asked me yesterday if she should invest in Apple and I had to tell her no. There are other better investments out there and if Apple is going to take actions that conflict with their core values- I can't in good conscious recommend them. I really think Apple has tarnished it's image here. If they don't correct the issue I know I will be moving to android. I've had every iPhone since the 3GS and have been happy with it. But this action against Bitcoin is a complete dealbreaker for me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

...! posted:

I never thought a currency could be a valid topic for a science fair

same

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Heresiarch posted:

it's still missing part of the conversion

ugh, it doesn't matter, nobody other than me cares

Try Storify.com

Sorry for an unauthorized post in the POS

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

...! posted:

submitted 2 hours ago by dvsbyknight

isn't best buy also kind of hosed at the moment

them pulling an overstock stunt might be plausible

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

isn't best buy also kind of hosed at the moment

them pulling an overstock stunt might be plausible

you still wouldn't accept bitcoins by scanning somebody else's qr code, so no

JawnV6 posted:

wow, their POS scanners can read qr codes? surely that implies accepting bitcoin, which doesn't involve reading a QR code, and not any other usage of a common data format

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
QR codes are a public key address guys this is bitcoin 101

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

yeah, you say that, but literally 10 seconds of google gives me this:

https://www.paypal-media.com/licenses

which is 52 state licences, including the two required for maryland and a specific one for the virgin islands

Heresiarch you might want to bookmark that for future twitter arguments

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

i lost much more , much more. I bought when bitcoin was 1050 cause i waited to much and at that time it seemed it was going up, and exactely in that time there was the epic dump. I waited a bit, then when i saw price going under 700 i had to sell, i simply could not bear a bigger loss. BUt bitcoin recovered slowly so i made wrong decision. I decided to enter another time to get some money back and i was newly unlucky. Ok i should have hold. But i am not a long term investor, i do not give trust to bitcoin, to me is a temporary bubble and could end from a moment to the other and value go back to 10. This is cause i sold so fast. Totally i lost about 4-5000 euroes of 8000 euroes invested in 2 attempts, i tried cause all my friends were doing some money with bitcoin and convinced me, at last. So i tried to do the same, after being what i supposed to be well informed. I did my bitstamp account and bought. I was unlucky. It was maybe the worst moment of all year, almost. And even this second time, wrong moment. I will invest nothing on bitcoin or in other financial assets for all my life. I am a 25 yo italian boy and i am a father since 3 years ago, i have a little girl to breed and an uncertain job which gives me simply enough to eat and nothing more, and i am even trying to continue studying, even though is very difficult to find time.
I was illuded to make some money fast, money which i would have really needed, people convinced me it was easy, someone made 10 times the money in few months, so i tried too. And i am serious now: i put about 80% of my savings in btc, i will be hardly able to pay the leasehold next month, and this just cause i have been stupid and believed poo poo people said about easy earnings. Best regards, i leave this website and bitcoin community forever, i hope someone has read this and will be saved too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Try Storify.com

Sorry for an unauthorized post in the POS

it's ok, next time just don't use that weird up arrow button

• Locked thread