Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

full sail

quality education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
:smug:

http://coinmarketcap.com/doge_30.html

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

btc-e is back up, i think

ok

they are the one location for all my bitcoin needs

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gently caress i'm an idiot

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

their latest 2 tweets:

@btcecom 2h
Bitcoin deposit works #btce

@btcecom 51m
В связи с обновлением bitcoin wallet возможны задержки с выводом bitcoin #btce

(Due to the upgrade bitcoin wallet may delay the withdrawal of bitcoin)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

transfatphobic posted:

wait which 3

mtgox and what else
btc-e and bitstamp but

Heresiarch posted:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
gently caress, i don't know anymore, why am i trying to pay attention to this in real-time

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Heresiarch posted:

gently caress, i don't know anymore, why am i trying to pay attention to this in real-time

yeah you need to wait an hour for everything to have a bunch of confirmations before you can rely on it

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
heres a confirmation for u: bitcoin sux

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah you need to wait an hour for everything to have a bunch of confirmations before you can rely on it

:golfclap:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I get told bitcoin is crashing every day. Did I go aroud telling all silver is crashing when it went from $40 to $20. NO

I just buy more bitcoins, gold, silver, and guns

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Werthog 95 posted:

I just buy more bitcoins, gold, silver, and guns
this guy thinks that real life is exactly like playing oregon trail during math class

HUNT

HUNT

HUNT

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Crashes and volatility are a sign of a deep underlying stability that is forming (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 20 minutes ago by 5upercrab

To paraphrase Nassim Taleb

Fragile systems such as the present day financial system hide risks within highly complex organisations until one day there is a colossal crash. With bitcoin, everything is played out in the open, what is flawed (gox) breaks, and breaks before it can do more serious damage.

This is REAL capitalism in motion. Creative destruction everyone!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Robawesome posted:

Crashes and volatility are a sign of a deep underlying stability that is forming

:psyboom:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Robawesome posted:

Crashes and volatility are a sign of a deep underlying stability that is forming (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 20 minutes ago by 5upercrab

To paraphrase Nassim Taleb

Fragile systems such as the present day financial system hide risks within highly complex organisations until one day there is a colossal crash. With bitcoin, everything is played out in the open, what is flawed (gox) breaks, and breaks before it can do more serious damage.

This is REAL capitalism in motion. Creative destruction everyone!
$0 is a very stable price

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Robawesome posted:

submitted 43 seconds ago by CareerBitcoiner
and I thought I had made some bad career choices

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Robawesome posted:

Crashes and volatility are a sign of a deep underlying stability that is forming

i'm the guy who wrote this sentence with absolutely no sense of irony

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
Microsoft beats Google by adding Bitcoin currency conversion to Bing (thenextweb.com)
submitted 3 hours ago by waspoza

[–]lifeboatz 22 points 2 hours ago
It's not surprising to me at all that Bitcoin continues to be embraced by people looking to get an edge on the competition, often the #2 player (or worse).

[–]nanoakron 8 points 1 hour ago
Not necessarily a bad thing. The front-runner can often burn a lot more energy just to maintain their position, whilst all the 'me-too's' can simply improve on the ground they've laid.

desperate competitors using bitcoin as a tech hail-mary. currency of the future

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

quote:

I can't use my Bitcoin because of these unconfirmed trasactions. Anything I can do about them? (i.imgur.com)

submitted 31 minutes ago by 7219987714197487

So a couple days ago I saw a bunch of posts about these deposits from two vanity addresses into random people's accounts. Now this. lol.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I know someone who went to full sail

poor bastard should have stuck to fixing cars instead of modeling them in 3d

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
wait, do unconfirmed incoming transactions prevent someone from using their funds? is that actually a loving thing?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Chocobo posted:

wait, do unconfirmed incoming transactions prevent someone from using their funds? is that actually a loving thing?

Makes sense to me. If I own 8 BTC in a wallet and want to buy something for .1 BTC, I send my 8 BTC over and get 7.9 BTC change sent back to a different address (that I am linked to, essentially). So you have to use your entire balance at one time. I guess if any part of your balance is unconfirmed you are hosed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tanith posted:

I know someone who went to full sail

poor bastard should have stuck to fixing cars instead of modeling them in 3d

i know someone who went there and now he's game developer in a large studio so *shrug*

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Just got my "Enjoy Sochi" donations! What do I win. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago by pinhead26

[–]tulipfutures 1 point 3 minutes ago

Are they confirmed? There's another post about someone else not being able to spend because those 2 "donations" were unconfirmed

[–]pinhead26[S] 1 point 57 seconds ago

oh THATS interesting. huh, what a great idea for an attack. Most wallets won't let you choose which specific outputs you sign when you send money.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Endless Mike posted:

i know someone who went there and now he's game developer in a large studio so *shrug*

he must be on all their brochures

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Robawesome posted:

Are they confirmed? There's another post about someone else not being able to spend because those 2 "donations" were unconfirmed

oh THATS interesting. huh, what a great idea for an attack. Most wallets won't let you choose which specific outputs you sign when you send money.

wait

somebody explain this attack

you can send somebody zero bitcoins and make them unable to spend their own bitcoins

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
its not a flaw in the protocol!!! a smart enough client could avoid it!!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
bitcoin
the gift that keeps on giving

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Werthog 95 posted:

wait

you can send somebody zero bitcoins and make them unable to spend their own bitcoins
surely there's a three-year-old wiki page describing this flaw and how it isn't a flaw

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Werthog 95 posted:

wait

just guessing here but

I send you .00000001 bitcoins with no transaction fee. You get the .00000001 but the transaction is never "confirmed", therefore your entire balance is tied up (apparently depending on which wallet you're using)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
so the only thing stopping Happy Sochi from blocking the entire btc economy is uh, yell volume?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Robawesome posted:

just guessing here but

I send you .00000001 bitcoins with no transaction fee. You get the .00000001 but the transaction is never "confirmed", therefore your entire balance is tied up (apparently depending on which wallet you're using)

jfc how can this hole keep getting deeper

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A second deposit has hit the bitstamp.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Is bitcoinmenow.com legit and worth the time? anyone using it? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 35 seconds ago by zilasb

They charge $525 yearly membership fee that you will % of daily mined bitcoins? Do you think its worth to try? Website does not give you much trust looking at it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Robawesome posted:

i'm coming

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

i've been trying to find a good description of the actual implications of the "enjoy sochi" donations, and have yet to find a second person reporting that the unconfirmed transactions prevent them from using their own wallet

forum is filled with people insisting it isn't a problem without real explanations to back up why (or even describe what the "problem" totally isn't, just that there's nothing to worry about)

some people think it's an "attack" that's trying to somehow tempt/force the recipients to unanonymize themselves something something jesus ...! i don't know how you read this poo poo [gun shot sound, smoke, fade to black]

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Malleable Transactions are currently being used to DDOS the blockchain. (ie. Gox is right and Devs are wrong!) (bitcointalk.org)

What happens here is that the transactions are malleable.

Roughly speaking, when you send a transaction, it has some data in it which is not really relevant to the transaction. This data can be changed, and the same transaction looks slightly different.

This would not really be a problem, but the effect is that the changed transaction gets a new txid. The effect is what you observed: two transactions with different txid's which really have the same inputs and outputs.

Obviously someone is changing the transactions and broadcasting them again (for kicks, or whatever).

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

the train never ends

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Robawesome posted:

just guessing here but

wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Robawesome posted:

bitcoinmeow.com

• Locked thread