Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I would not want to see an actual crossover between Akibaranger and the real teams. That said, I'll echo that I'd be all in favor of the next Tasien movie having a post-credit of the Akibarangers showing up to the smoking battlefield and being sad they missed the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Dr Tran posted:

That finale pissed me off. Daigo with a solo finish. Yayoi has to watch Amy and Daigo together. No Candy+Nossan. No 10 way roll call. Terrible way to end such an awesome sentai.

Its a child show for three year olds. Please calm down. Also it was good

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I would not want to see an actual crossover between Akibaranger and the real teams. That said, I'll echo that I'd be all in favor of the next Tasien movie having a post-credit of the Akibarangers showing up to the smoking battlefield and being sad they missed the action.

Actually, I wouldn't mind them showing up once or twice a year just to take the piss out of the current/previous/future season as a sort of special thing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm disappointed in the ending of a toy commercial and I don't care who knows it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

That ending was fantastic unless you really need canon to line up with your Kyoryuger ships.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It was a where the cast sang the theme song for serious, plot purposes. I don't see how such an episode can be disappointing.

It was a really good ending.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Kyoryuger was super good, especially in the last twenty episodes or so. The only thing I would fix is more Nossan episodes. He is seriously the best and I would watch him in anything.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
That credit sequence made up for any shortcomings I thought there might have been. Dantetsu and Ramirez...hell, everyone :3:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

As much as I disliked King taking the final shot rather than it being a team effort, I'll admit that I couldn't stop humming the theme (to a toy commercial!) for the rest of the day and into the next.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, they're toy commercials, but they're toy commercials a lot of people work really hard on every year and someone should give Riku Sanjo a loving medal for writing the entire thing.

Acervus
Aug 7, 2007

Namaste
I just have to say, Birdy Kruger lived up to the hype for me. Can't wait to go clickety clack down the tracks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Besides, we know that Nossan and Candliera will get together when they reunite to fight the remaining aspect of Deboss in one of the movies...

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
Loved the Kyoryuger finale! It's probably my favorite sentai finale that I can remember, though maybe I need to re-watch Shinkenger.

I can understand the POV of the dissapointed, but I feel all the moments in this episode were earned.

-King x Amy. Yeah this plot line was thin but not unprecedented. There were two or three times before this act that set it up. However I could see King getting emotional and throwing any of his friends out the window (to save their life, of course), so I don't consider it too crazy.
Does this mean two of the descedents will be related?

-King's solo fight. By anime-logic he couldn't have done it without the rest of the team. Usually "friendship is magic" is a deus ex machina in many endings but the melody of the earth has been a plot point for most of the series. As someone who loves singing sentai openings it was very gratifying that's what saved the day.
It's not surprising King was given the spotlight for the climax, the whole show has been very centered on his abilities and personality. Hell his dad was supposed to be the one who actually saved the world originally and they both heard the melody first.

-Nossan x Candelira. I would have liked them being together being explicit but the fact that she's an immortal alien might make that tough for the relationship (and procreation?). At least it was acknowledged. Perhaps it can still be resolved in the specials/movies.

-Yayoi. She was underused and so I didn't really empathize with her enough to care she didn't get her crush in the end.

-Robert Baldwin needs to be in everything ever forever.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Tokkyuger, partially because of the production team and partially because I've superimposed my feelings that it's reminiscent of Carranger. The previews at the end of the Kyoryuger finale eased my mind a little as ToQ #1 doesn't seem like he'll be as annoying as I initially thought. The stereo-typical young/annoying Red is a major turn off for me. Made me stop watching Dekaranger and Gekiranger when they were live which was regretable, but I guess also taught me to give things more of a chance.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

It was cool how no one was in suits and the last robo brave finish was Plezu Oh

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Plezu-Oh was the coolest robot in the series anyway.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Why do people hate Kiva?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Apollove posted:

Why do people hate Kiva?

Because the main character is terrible, the secondary rider is a bore until he's relegated into a joke, the past era story is interesting until you realize that nothing can ever really happen (since they're always fighting the current era monster) and is ruined by the end anyway, the antagonist is also terrible, the few interesting side characters are completely shunted off to the side fairly early on, the upgrade form happens too early so you spend more than half the series with fights ending by kiva jerking his sword off and then it just being done, and the main character is terrible (it bears repeating).

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

AzraelNewtype posted:

Because the main character is terrible, the secondary rider is a bore until he's relegated into a joke, the past era story is interesting until you realize that nothing can ever really happen (since they're always fighting the current era monster) and is ruined by the end anyway, the antagonist is also terrible, the few interesting side characters are completely shunted off to the side fairly early on, the upgrade form happens too early so you spend more than half the series with fights ending by kiva jerking his sword off and then it just being done, and the main character is terrible (it bears repeating).

He can't be as bad as Tendou. :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

everythingWasBees posted:

He can't be as bad as Tendou. :colbert:

Tendou does goofy things that are fun to watch!

Kiva's protag gets sad about his life and tries to go back in time to abort his own existence before he's born!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Tendou is amazing and all of Kiva is worth it for the very last scene of the series.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Kiva has the goofiest loving CGI dragon I've ever seen that made me laugh for a good five minutes or so the first time it came on-screen, so it has a big Okay in my books. :colbert:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

boom boom boom posted:

Tendou is amazing and all of Kiva is worth it for the very last scene of the series.

I can't even remember the last scene of the series, so I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong about the value of the prior 23ish hours of eh being validated by it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Everyone in Kabuto other than Tendou does goofy things that are fun to watch!

There, that's better. Even if you enjoyed Tendou's "antics," his supporting cast far outstrips him in the "goofy things that are fun to watch" category. Drake's fashion battle, anything Tsurugi does, et cetera.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

There, that's better. Even if you enjoyed Tendou's "antics," his supporting cast far outstrips him in the "goofy things that are fun to watch" category. Drake's fashion battle, anything Tsurugi does, et cetera.

Yeah that's true. His cast does more goofy things than he does.

That does not exclude him from doing goofy things.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah that's true. His cast does more goofy things than he does.

That does not exclude him from doing goofy things.

We'll have to continue to disagree about that. :colbert:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nago once got arrested while screaming at a criminal to give him a button on his shirt, had his driver jacked by the worst recurring villain the series has ever come up with, and stole his final fight's gimmick from Agito. He's pretty much the worst secondary ever, probably even worse than Kaixa.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kaixa owned. He was a legitimate villain who never got won over with the power of friendship or anything.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Jetman

Kyoryuger

which ending

GO

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Jetman

Kyoryuger

which ending

GO

Zyuranger.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

All of KR have really bad plots. Half the time they say "uh, time.travel..plot finished"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trill Twisty posted:

All of KR have really bad plots. Half the time they say "uh, time.travel..plot finished"

Are there any Rider series that have an at least somewhat statisfing conclusion?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

Are there any Rider series that have an at least somewhat statisfing conclusion?

Maybe W/OOO/Fourze?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Race Realists posted:

Jetman

Kyoryuger

which ending

GO
Jetman win with a team attack and suicidal robo attack strategy.
Kyoryuger win with a solo attack and their robos are barely involved.

Gai goes from loner badass to compassionate dumbass who gets killed by a street punk.
Amy goes from strong independent woman to crying shrieking teenage girl.
Kaori is a spoiled lady who gets everything she wants.
Daigo is the king.
Raita gets a girl.
Nossan does not get a girl.
Ryu gets over the loss of his fiance.
Ian gets over the loss of his friend.
Souji and Ako are there, somewhat.
Commander and Utchy are pretty cool.

Jetman wins.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

Other than the silly clipshow I liked the last episode of Black. Shadow Moon's final scene is great.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AzraelNewtype posted:

I can't even remember the last scene of the series, so I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong about the value of the prior 23ish hours of eh being validated by it.

Papa, Papa! I need your help to fight the Neo-Fangires!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Larryb posted:

OOO is the only one I can think of that I felt had a pretty good run in its final episodes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kiva was my first Kamen Rider so I'm probably nicer to it than it deserves, but I didn't find it that bad.

Apart from Wataru being rather unlikable and the Zanbat Sword being the most stupid weapon ever, of course. Those are impossible to defend. On the other hand, there's Otoya, and Otoya is awesome. The Fangire have really cool designs too, and the Arms Monsters are nice enough. Hell, even Nago isn't that bad, once he stops being a total joke. And Megumi and Yuri manage to be both the love interests of a Rider and Riders themselves, yet they aren't brutally murdered, and the series has my respect for that.

What I'm trying to say is that Kiva, like Kabuto, would've been a really good series if the main character, wasn't. Kamen Rider Gatack and Kamen Rider IXA (Otoya, though Megumi, Yuri or Nago wouldn't be bad either) would've been actually enjoyable.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The worst part of Kabuto was Kagami Arata. All he did was show up and fail, until he was given the most powerful Zector, which only made Gatack as powerful as other riders because Arata was such a poo poo.

Dude din't even have a character arc, it was more like a character inclined line.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

OOO is the only one I can think of that I felt had a pretty good run in its final episodes.

If we're going to talk about closing arcs as a whole then I'd just have to go with Kamen Rider Black. Everything after Shadow Moon shows up is immensely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

It's weird as poo poo for you guys not to like characters because they have character flaws. That's the only way they are interesting

• Locked thread