Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

@puro_yottsume 2h

Kensuke Sasaki has officially announced via Kensuke Office that he is retiring. His last opponent was his apprentice Katsuhiko Nakajima.

Another big '90s heavyweight wrestler retiring, not too many left now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Another big '90s heavyweight wrestler retiring, not too many left now.

And NJPW is the only major company not left holding their dicks when it comes to having reasonably young heavyweight main eventers. Nobody called that when NOAH formed, of that I am certain.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And NJPW is the only major company not left holding their dicks when it comes to having reasonably young heavyweight main eventers. Nobody called that when NOAH formed, of that I am certain.

NJPW's fortunes changed greatly once they unlatched Inoki from creative control. I can't remember if the Juke's purchase caused that or it was afterwards.

I'm just surprised that All Japan is still around. I've caught a few of their shows and they were awful.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'd rather have AJPW/NOAH/W-1 merge into one company with a decent roster rather than 3 skeletal companies. Has Wrestle-1 really done much since that opening card/announcing an alliance with TNA?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'd rather have AJPW/NOAH/W-1 merge into one company with a decent roster rather than 3 skeletal companies. Has Wrestle-1 really done much since that opening card/announcing an alliance with TNA?

They've been running regular tours since the inaugral show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Nobody called that when NOAH formed, of that I am certain.
Everyone called it about six years ago when it was clear that they either suck at training rookies or don't give a poo poo about them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

Everyone called it about six years ago when it was clear that they either suck at training rookies or don't give a poo poo about them.

A drat shame, really. I liked that for a while, Japan had a lot of cool companies to choose from who offered something a little different. Now AJPW is stuck booking guys like D' Lo Brown and Chris the Bambikiller for gaijin, and NOAH is rehashing main eventers who didn't work 5 years ago.

At least their indies are still awesome.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

If I recall, it was (also) that the NOAH crowd flat-out didn't seem to give a poo poo about them or the "post-90s" guys either with the main exceptions of KENTA and for a time Marufuji.

I'd add that NOAH also had for rookie output I think less than ten?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chortles posted:

If I recall, it was (also) that the NOAH crowd flat-out didn't seem to give a poo poo about them or the "post-90s" guys either with the main exceptions of KENTA and for a time Marufuji.

Go Shiazaki and Morishima are the only two that pop out to mind. And Morishima was more trained by Harley Race.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Chortles posted:

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki, Sugiura, Aoki and MAYBACH. Those last two debuted in 2005. I vaguely remember another guy who debuted around the same time whose name I can't remember.

Morishima debuted in 1998 and went through the All Japan dojo before that. Don't think you can count him.

The only other dojo graduate I can find on cagematch is Hitoshi Kumano, who debuted last year. So that's six or seven rookies in 14 years.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 12, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NOAH tried pretty hard to create some new guys, their choices just flopped hard, like Rikio.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MassRafTer posted:

NOAH tried pretty hard to create some new guys, their choices just flopped hard, like Rikio.

To me it always seemed like the moment they started to run with a guy and had a crowd that didn't buy it, they immediately went back to one of the old guard guys.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki, Sugiura, Aoki and MAYBACH. Those last two debuted in 2005. I vaguely remember another guy who debuted around the same time whose name I can't remember.
That'd be Genba Hirayanagi (previously Tsutomu Hirayanagi), who was working a shithead heel gimmick for a while, though I remember him being inept at it in his early days, almost as if the joke was that "NOAH is so honorable that this would-be heel doesn't understand basic concepts like using weapons BEHIND THE REF'S BACK, and using weapons in NOAH is so outside-of-the-ref's-frame-of-reference that the ref doesn't DQ him".

Illinois Smith posted:

Morishima debuted in 1998 and went through the All Japan dojo before that. Don't think you can count him.
Agreed, I didn't count him or Rikio either because they both started in AJPW, as did KENTA and Marufuji.

Illinois Smith posted:

The only other dojo graduate I can find on cagematch is Hitoshi Kumano, who debuted last year. So that's six or seven rookies in 14 years.
More mind-bogglingly yet tellingly, he's the only post-Misawa guy in NOAH.

coconono posted:

To me it always seemed like the moment they started to run with a guy and had a crowd that didn't buy it, they immediately went back to one of the old guard guys.
In some cases, it seemed to me like the bookers were intending to "slow burn" the young guys the same way that the old guard were built up in AJPW, without accelerating the push when such booking wasn't enough for the newer NOAH crowds to get into the younger guys.

And that was even before self-sabotage like having Marufuji vs. KENTA main event the tour-ender with a weak card and them essentially going over-the-top "spot monkey junior" style...

Chortles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2014

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
It always seemed a strange twist of fate to me that NOAH, a promotion started by an exodus of premier 1990s heavyweights, produced two really popular junior heavyweights who are now the biggest names in the company and the leaders of two of the major units. You would think that a company with Misawa, Kobashi, Akiyama and Taue would bring up a generation of awesome heavyweight talent, but instead your new big names would arguably be more at home in Dragon Gate or Michinoku Pro.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Panama Red posted:

It always seemed a strange twist of fate to me that NOAH, a promotion started by an exodus of premier 1990s heavyweights, produced two really popular junior heavyweights who are now the biggest names in the company and the leaders of two of the major units. You would think that a company with Misawa, Kobashi, Akiyama and Taue would bring up a generation of awesome heavyweight talent, but instead your new big names would arguably be more at home in Dragon Gate or Michinoku Pro.
Moreover for irony, the juniors in general were (until far, far too late) booked as flat-out not being on the level of said heavyweights, though I suppose that that's part of why ROH and nowadays WWE just flat-out abolished weight classes eventually.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Chortles posted:

That'd be Genba Hirayanagi (previously Tsutomu Hirayanagi), who was working a shithead heel gimmick for a while, though I remember him being inept at it in his early days, almost as if the joke was that "NOAH is so honorable that this would-be heel doesn't understand basic concepts like using weapons BEHIND THE REF'S BACK, and using weapons in NOAH is so outside-of-the-ref's-frame-of-reference that the ref doesn't DQ him".
No, I totally forgot about Genba there (shame on me, I always liked him) but I have this vague picture in my mind of a rookie who had a similar build as Aoki and was often in the same tags back when Aoki still rocked an afro. I may be thinking of a Kensuke Office guy though.

civilwhat
Apr 24, 2010
Are you thinking of Akihiko Ito?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Whatever happened to Ito? They put him in the Mushiking gimmick, then I think he ended up hurting Kotaro on a botch and then just fell off the planet.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
He was out for awhile due to "bad health" prior to his retirement. I read somewhere that he wanted to go to college, but I don't have a source for that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

civilwhat posted:

Are you thinking of Akihiko Ito?
That's the guy!

We're up to eight dojo graduates already!

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
There was also Kento Miyahara, though I'm pretty sure he was a Kensuke Office guy.

e: and Okita, whose name I had to look up because I only remembered him as the thick dude that had football style gear (also KO, I think)

Horns fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2014

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Horns posted:

There was also Kento Miyahara, though I'm pretty sure he was a Kensuke Office guy.

e: and Okita, whose name I had to look up because I only remembered him as the thick dude that had football style gear (also KO, I think)
...who was also KO. Okita retired as well.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
There was also Ippei Ota, who is also now retired. :/

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

To be fair to NOAH, pretty much all of the companies had trouble making new stars in the previous decade. Despite their popularity now, New Japan failed to commit to pushing Tanahashi and Nakamura hard in the 2000s, even when they were having great matches against each other. Stuart over at SSS talked recently about this and how Nagata, Tenzan and Nakanishi became big names but never aces in their own right. Kojima famously went up against guys like Kawada and Sasaki in All Japan but never really managed to get over those "walls" (even though I loved Kojima's 2005 match with Kawada especially). The same can also be said of Dragon Gate, where they strapped jetpacks to guys like Ryo Saito and Susumu Yokosuka but then almost instantly fell back on established stars like CIMA and Mochizuki.

NJPW ultimately just gave the ball to Tanahashi and Nakamura (and now Okada) and let them run with it, but those guys also had the complete toolkits to turn themselves into superstars, whereas I am not sure the NOAH guys do. I don't think I've heard anyone say anything positive about Morishima since the Nagata win.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I thought that the problems for Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Nagata were on account of INOKISM~?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Nagata being destroyed by cro cop sure didn't help matters.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

The MMA boom and Inoki's involvement didn't help matters, but even if Inoki had stayed away, it's debatable whether the third generation guys could have come across as the complete package. Nagata has amazing technical skill but he doesn't have a magnetic personality. Kojima has charisma but he's not the most gifted worker. Nakanishi looks intimidating and he got better in the ring during his Gotch-ism period but he just didn't have that "x factor" to draw as well as NJ's current stars do across Japan. Jobbing guys to Lesnar and Sapp was undeniably dumb and damaged New Japan, but it's also not a given that, had it been a clear MMA-less shift from the 3 Musketeers to the third generation, that the third generation would have lived up to expectations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Panama Red posted:

To be fair to NOAH, pretty much all of the companies had trouble making new stars in the previous decade.
It's not even about making new stars though, operating a dojo for almost 15 years and having less than 10 guys graduate from it onto your roster is just straight-up pitiful.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

dubble post

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No more Sasaki? Goodnight, sweet tree :unsmith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any recommendations for a puro fan who is fond of Japanese indies? I've enjoyed DDT and some BJPW in the past.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Any recommendations for a puro fan who is fond of Japanese indies? I've enjoyed DDT and some BJPW in the past.

Dragon Gate?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
FMW and WAR.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

FMW and WAR.

I probably should have mentioned that I like those companies, too. And I really should watch more Dragon Gate.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I probably should have mentioned that I like those companies, too. And I really should watch more Dragon Gate.

Dragon Gate is probably the only thing that comes close to WSX. They just need more pyro and the ring announcer going slowly insane.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any particular Dragon Gate shows?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Kobe Pro Wrestling Festival 2013 was very good

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

This is top to bottom one of the best wrestling shows of 2013 and probably an even longer period of time

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iqf9_by-wwe2day-com-d-r-a-g-o-n-gate-kobe-fest-2013-ippv-pt-1_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iqcc_by-wwe2day-com-d-r-a-g-o-n-gate-kobe-fest-2013-ippv-pt-2_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iqbn_by-wwe2day-com-d-r-a-g-o-n-gate-kobe-fest-2013-ippv-pt-3_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iqaw_by-wwe2day-com-d-r-a-g-o-n-gate-kobe-fest-2013-ippv-pt-4_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iqaa_by-wwe2day-com-d-r-a-g-o-n-gate-kobe-fest-2013-ippv-pt-5_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iq9i_by-wwe2day-com-d-r-a-g-o-n-gate-kobe-fest-2013-ippv-pt-6_sport

oatgan fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 17, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would argue that show would be close to perfect if the main was shorter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Latest Observer says Dragon Gate is doing iPPV now?