Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
We've been studying the post-WW2 paranoia that gripped the US in the 1950s, and I'm desperate to read a novel exploring this mindset.
It can be fear of the nuclear bomb, fear of Commies, or whatever... I just want a novel that deconstructs the facade of perfection of that era.
I usually prefer non-fiction when it comes to history, but this just feels better suited to fiction that can get inside someone's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hatter106 posted:

We've been studying the post-WW2 paranoia that gripped the US in the 1950s, and I'm desperate to read a novel exploring this mindset.
It can be fear of the nuclear bomb, fear of Commies, or whatever... I just want a novel that deconstructs the facade of perfection of that era.
I usually prefer non-fiction when it comes to history, but this just feels better suited to fiction that can get inside someone's head.

James Ellroy's The Big Nowhere might be what you want, it has a long subplot about hunting communists in Hollywood. It's part of his "L.A. Quartet" series that includes The Black Dahlia and L.A. Confidential. Unfortunately I can't give you a more decisive answer because my dog literally ate the goddam book while I was halfway through it.

tenniseveryone posted:

I really enjoyed all of Charles Stross' Laundry books, but find some of his harder sci-fi stuff trickier to get into; can anyone recommend more of his closer to that than, say, Accelernado, or similar stuff (in terms of tone/genre if not content, imagine computational Cthulhu spy pastiches is a niche, even in the bloated Lovecraft section) by other writers?

The closest thing he's done to Accellerando is probably Glasshouse. It's a pretty solid read. His Eschaton series is also excellent space opera but be warned that 1) it's unfinished and will likely never be finished and 2) it will ruin other space opera for you because it's all based on the paradoxes of FTL travel in a universe with relativity and (at least for me) once I got a better idea of what those actually were, it was a lot more difficult to suspend my disbelief while reading other space operas by less technically adept writers.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 10, 2014

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For Rushdie should I just read Satanic Verses? Or is there a "better" book? And Borges rocks, one of my favorites.

Midnight's Children is a better book in my opinion. Satanic Verses is so popular in part because of its noteworthiness rather than from it being his best work (which is not to say that it's a bad book). It might be worth reading on that basis alone since books that cause their authors to go into hiding and go under government protection and cause the assassination and attempted assassinations of the translators are rare these days, but overall I don't think it's his best.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A good biography of Charlemagne and/or good non-fiction covering him along with that period more generally?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a book about the French Resistance during WWII? Preferably set in and around Paris. I don't mind whether it's fiction or non-fiction, but I'd prefer it to be more of a story rather than an analysis, if that makes sense.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'd like some recommendations for poetry. I cannot get into it, but I'd really like to be able to at some point. Every year I make this promise to myself and break it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Fellwenner posted:

I'd like some recommendations for poetry. I cannot get into it, but I'd really like to be able to at some point. Every year I make this promise to myself and break it.

PYF has a PYF poem thread. I'd say just give the thread a read-through, and take not of the authors you liked and go from there.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Oh that's a good idea, thanks.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I recently got into Pynchon and I am reading and loving the hell out of The Crying Of Lot 49. I already own V. and Gravity's Rainbow, but I am unsure if I should just throw myself at GR or if I should wait and try to tackle V. or some of his other novels like Inherent Vice first.

Any takers?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fellwenner posted:

Bukowski is pretty easy to get into.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Fellwenner posted:

I really like czeslaw Milosz.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Apes-Ma posted:

I recently got into Pynchon and I am reading and loving the hell out of The Crying Of Lot 49. I already own V. and Gravity's Rainbow, but I am unsure if I should just throw myself at GR or if I should wait and try to tackle V. or some of his other novels like Inherent Vice first.

Any takers?

Inherent Vice is the third in the "California Trilogy", which is The Crying of Lot 49, Vineland, and IV. I personally love Inherent Vice, and it's one of my all-time favorites, but it's much more Casual Pynchon than Encyclopedia Pynchon.

V. is a great book, but it's pretty out there and it leaves more questions than answers, and that's kinda the point.

You really can't go wrong with a Pynchon book, it just depends on how much you want to dedicate to it. If you want a challenge, read GR, V., Against the Day, and especially Mason & Dixon. If you want a more relaxed, fun experience with the depth hidden in plain sight, read Vineland, Inherent Vice, or Bleeding Edge.

This year I'm going to read through all of Pynchon, and I'm going to chart my descent into lunacy in a blog.

Also, use Pynchon Wiki.

Fellwenner posted:

You should check into Poetry Daily. They have a great variety, and an archives section, so you can discover something new every day.

For books, you should buy a used copy of Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle. It's a book of poems designed for a person new to the format. The poems start simple and get increasingly complex. It's an interested format, and really enjoyable to read.

If you want an awesome anthology with amazing variety, try The Voice That Is Great Within Us. It has most of the great and influential American poets, mini biographies on who they were and their influence, and a mix of their most famous and some great-but-not-as-well-known. It's nice to be able to open up randomly and find a new poem you love.

Billy Collins is pretty cool, and I like to show him to people that aren't familiar with poetry. His collection Ballistics is good, but any of his collections are good. His poems are just brief little insights into the world he lives in. I like his poem Searching. See if you like that.

For Bukowski, try Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, which is a great collection. It has his poem rain, which is a good indicator of his style. It also has some darkly funny/cynical poems, like My Friend William. If you like those, I'd check him out.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Subjunctive posted:

Late reply, but Richard K Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series might fit the bill. Starts with (and arguably peaks at) "Altered Carbon".

This book, http://www.amazon.com/All-Need-Kill...ou+need+is+kill also might fit in with the Super Soldier idea. Also http://www.amazon.com/Deaths-Head-David-Gunn-ebook/dp/B000YKAWOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392237528&sr=8-2&keywords=deaths+head is similar.

I read both recently and they are good enough, not great, but entertaining and fairly short.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Fellwenner posted:

Is there a specific poem that you've liked more than others? There's just so many different kinds of poetry out there we could throw a whole bunch of names at you and you would never find anything that would resonate. I for instance hate Bukowski but love Milosz.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Poutling posted:

Is there a specific poem that you've liked more than others? There's just so many different kinds of poetry out there we could throw a whole bunch of names at you and you would never find anything that would resonate. I for instance hate Bukowski but love Milosz.

At this point, not really. I haven't really had much exposure to poetry and when I have picked something up the style kind of put me off.

I've added all the ones you all have recommended and I'll start going through them. I appreciate the recommendations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Fellwenner posted:

At this point, not really. I haven't really had much exposure to poetry and when I have picked something up the style kind of put me off.

I've added all the ones you all have recommended and I'll start going through them. I appreciate the recommendations.

One thing I'll add is that you read poetry different than prose. Don't speed read your way through it, looking for how the "plot" ends. The medium is the message, in poetry moreso than a novel, and they are best read more leisurely, for the word usage, how they flow together, for the onomatoepia, for the imagery. And more, not just what the writer is saying, but what he or she means, and how successfully they communicate that with their language. What was their intent with the poem?
I'll be incredibly unoriginal and say that one of my favorite poems is The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. Read it slowly, line by line, stopping to think why Eliot used a particular word or phrase. I think this is a particularly good example as it starts off initially as a typical "lovey dovey" poem but hits you with a shock right at line 3. What a strange analogy! Why would he use that? It's unsettling -- have you ever compared something to an anaesthetised person? It's certainly not an obvious choice to describe an evening out with your lover. If you were to do so, why would you pick that, what would you be trying to convey?
Paying attention to details like that will get you into the heart of the poem -- what it means, not just what it says.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Poetry is just a medium. If you like Science Fiction, you aren't going to like every Sci-Fi book you read, you're going to like certain authors, or certain types of stories. Same with movies, music, paintings, and any other art form.

There are poets out there that are more broadly enjoyed, like the humorous Ogden Nash, the odd e. e. cummings, Edwin Arlington Robinson, Emily Dickenson, I mean the list can go on.

Your best bet is to get an anthology, like I recommended. Any library should have a decent collection of anthologies. Make a list of who you like, and then try to find collections that contain them and those similar, or just get collections of their full work.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 13, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm gonna go against the grain and say to read ONE poem that is pretty much universally acknowledged as really loving good. Like one of Shakespeare's sonnets, or something. Just pick one and go with it. Doesn't really matter, but let's say about 50 lines or less. (A sonnet is good because it's 14 lines and it's about ONE idea taken to its extreme. And that one idea isn't necessarily "love" or anything.)

Read and stare at that loving poem for days. Print out a few copies of it. Write notes all over your print outs. First just figure out the syntax and what actually means what (like often the verb comes after its object and that makes things weird and hard to parse--but you do actually have to parse things, and you can't just skip over the stuff you don't really understand). In other words, understand the poem *mostly* in plain English. Then keep asking what the gently caress is going on here? What's this poem "about"? What is it concerned with? Why this specific word? Why that one? Look up the etymologies of words that strike you as particularly strange or that seem pivotal to the poem or whatever. Get to the point where you've almost got the drat thing memorized and you find yourself thinking about individual words and lines from it on your way to work.

Eventually things click, and you realize oh my god this is happening and this is happening and holy poo poo that's just with three specific words! and oh my god I'm pretty sure that's a funny dick joke but it's also this weird poignant meditation on mortality and he's also doing this and this and whaaaaaat how is this possible -- and then your brain explodes.

Then you realize, holy poo poo, that's one poem, and you've got entire traditions to jump into wherever you feel like.

I'm making this suggestion because I hated poetry until I learned to slow down when I read it, and I spent a few grad classes having heated discussions over one or two words in a single poem. I learned how to read Shakespeare by talking about the first 10 lines of Hamlet for an hour and a half and realizing that holy poo poo every theme in this play is contained in these opening lines what the hell.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
If you're over the age of 19 and you're not grappling with some deeply-rooted misogyny don't touch Bukowski with a 10 metre cattle prod.

A lot of the Big Old Great Greats of Poetry are in the public domain, so if you don't feel like grabbing an anthology you can browse, say, Shakespeare's Sonnets here, or Dickinson,, or Coleridge's entire Rime of the Ancient Mariner, or Rumi. But that's going to limit you to primarily pre-20th century stuff, so take it as you will.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 13, 2014

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

If you decide to read him, then as a Persian with an interest in Rumi, I recommend Franklin Lewis' Rumi: Swallowing the Sun. Having been published just last year, it's a very recent book. He's one of the foremost Rumi scholars in the world and has a real gift for rendering Persian poetic verse into English. If your poetry has to rhyme, then you'll absolutely want to go with Jawid Mojaddedi's Masnavi series, which he plans to publish in eight volumes (currently, the first three have been published). He maintains Rumi's exact rhyme scheme and nothing about it feels shoehorned. Incidentally, the Masnavi is typically hailed as Rumi's most prodigious work.

In a similar vein: if you ever decide to read Hafiz, do NOT read anything by Daniel Ladinsky. His "translations" are original works and do not actually represent anything ever written by Hafiz, and he himself notes as much. For that, I would suggest Peter Avery's Hafiz of Shiraz. I also like Herman Bicknell's Hafiz of Shiraz, Selections from His Poems because of the way he was able to make Hafiz's poems rhyme in English without compromising the integrity of the original or sounding unnatural—but that was published in 1875 and is quite rare. Unless you're willing to pay $350 for a used copy on Amazon, I'd recommend getting it via interlibary loan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

If you're over the age of 19 and you're not grappling with some deeply-rooted misogyny don't touch Bukowski with a 10 metre cattle prod.

That's really harsh and oversimplifying a great writer, and I vehemently disagree.

"If you're not gay or deeply into hedonism, stay away from Oscar Wilde."

"If you're not a stoner or into mathematics and history, stay away from Thomas Pynchon."

"If you've never been on a ship or hung out with a cannibal, stay away from Moby-Dick."

"If you've never been on a safari or a fishing trip and didn't fight in a world war, stay the gently caress away from Hemingway."

I am over the age of 19 and not a misogynist, and I think Bukowski is fantastic. My girlfriend who introduced me to his writings was also not 19 or a misogynist. His works are a great representation of depression, loneliness, addiction, and someone battling their insecurities. Each of his books capture the problems that anyone can experience at certain points in their life. He can be very poignant and heart-wrenching. Yes, he uses an extremely exaggerated character to convey his ideas and themes, but he also wants to be entertaining to the reader. He was a flawed person, yeah, but to write him off because of his flaws is really ignorant. If you don't like the book or author: cool. Don't write off all of his works or the people that enjoy it because you don't like it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

That's really harsh and oversimplifying a great writer, and I vehemently disagree.

"If you're not gay or deeply into hedonism, stay away from Oscar Wilde."

"If you're not a stoner or into mathematics and history, stay away from Thomas Pynchon."

"If you've never been on a ship or hung out with a cannibal, stay away from Moby-Dick."

"If you've never been on a safari or a fishing trip and didn't fight in a world war, stay the gently caress away from Hemingway."

I am over the age of 19 and not a misogynist, and I think Bukowski is fantastic. My girlfriend who introduced me to his writings was also not 19 or a misogynist. His works are a great representation of depression, loneliness, addiction, and someone battling their insecurities. Each of his books capture the problems that anyone can experience at certain points in their life. He can be very poignant and heart-wrenching. Yes, he uses an extremely exaggerated character to convey his ideas and themes, but he also wants to be entertaining to the reader. He was a flawed person, yeah, but to write him off because of his flaws is really ignorant. If you don't like the book or author: cool. Don't write off all of his works or the people that enjoy it because you don't like it.

Yeah, nah. Bukowski is great as a lonely, depressed and angry Freshman, sure, but he has very little to offer beyond that if you aren't a straight white guy. He's an epitome of hypermasculine literature post-Hemingway, and for what it's worth anecdotally I've personally never known someone who didn't fall into the straight-white-male category who wasn't at best revolted by Bukowski.

Slate posted:

Tortorici had a similarly visceral reaction to Charles Bukowski: "I will never forget reading Bukowski’s Post Office and feeling so horrible, the way that the narrator describes the thickness of ugly women’s legs. I think it was the first time I felt like a book that I was trying to identify with rejected me. Though I did absorb it, and of course it made me hate my body or whatever."
From here.

He is a flawed person, sure, and among his flaws are the romanticization of the drunk, angry white sexist. The misogynist themes in his work - which are by no means subtle - are rarely if ever self-examined, certainly never set up to be knocked down; instead they feed into his old-man-drunk-at-3-AM-with-a-typewriter mythos and reinforce it. It's a toxic mythos and one that we're supposed to recognize as flawed, but also to admire for its honest-toughguy ethos.

He repeatedly returns to the open abuse of women, presented with a wink and a nudge, and instead of recoiling in horror at his entire existence the reader is invited to understand, appreciate and partake in it. For real, can you think of a single less-than-horrific presentation of women in his entire corpus? I sure as hell can't.

I'll defer to another critic who said it better than I can:

quote:

Bukowski's antics with women, his thoughts about them, are one vast and sniggering cliché. He has nothing to tell us about them because, I'm convinced, he knows nothing about them (e.g., "the ladies will always be the same.") and is determined at this point not to learn. They are a dirty joke to him, a dirty joke on him. Inside the web of his booze-bull-and-broad exploits lurks a demon sexual jingoist, erupting and irrupting in self-punishing concatenations; hostile, frustrated, puglistic- fearful of the role into which (he thinks) one is cast by fate of genitalia.
I'm transcribing that from Russel Harrison's Against the American Dream: Essays on Charles Bukowski

And less serious, but here's a woman writing about why not to date a man who reads Bukowski.

Anyway I'll end the derail but for the love of God don't read Bukowski.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 13, 2014

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You can think things are good without agreeing with the message they present.

Especially if that message seems to be pretty ironic/self loathing.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Hey guys, I was looking for some recommendations on books that have a certain Twilight Zone type of feel. Specifically, the one's where someone wakes up in a strange place and they have to figure out what the hell is going on(I guess they were all like that). Some movie examples I can give would be "Cube," "Oldboy" and the beginning of the first "Saw." I am reading "The Trial" right now and I just can't get into it, but I like the concept.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why not try The Twilight Zone Anthology. All new stories, some by Serling himself. I have a friend that's currently reading it and he only has good remarks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say to read ONE poem that is pretty much universally acknowledged as really loving good. Like one of Shakespeare's sonnets, or something. Just pick one and go with it. Doesn't really matter, but let's say about 50 lines or less. (A sonnet is good because it's 14 lines and it's about ONE idea taken to its extreme. And that one idea isn't necessarily "love" or anything.)

Read and stare at that loving poem for days. Print out a few copies of it. Write notes all over your print outs. First just figure out the syntax and what actually means what (like often the verb comes after its object and that makes things weird and hard to parse--but you do actually have to parse things, and you can't just skip over the stuff you don't really understand). In other words, understand the poem *mostly* in plain English. Then keep asking what the gently caress is going on here? What's this poem "about"? What is it concerned with? Why this specific word? Why that one? Look up the etymologies of words that strike you as particularly strange or that seem pivotal to the poem or whatever. Get to the point where you've almost got the drat thing memorized and you find yourself thinking about individual words and lines from it on your way to work.

Eventually things click, and you realize oh my god this is happening and this is happening and holy poo poo that's just with three specific words! and oh my god I'm pretty sure that's a funny dick joke but it's also this weird poignant meditation on mortality and he's also doing this and this and whaaaaaat how is this possible -- and then your brain explodes.

Then you realize, holy poo poo, that's one poem, and you've got entire traditions to jump into wherever you feel like.

I'm making this suggestion because I hated poetry until I learned to slow down when I read it, and I spent a few grad classes having heated discussions over one or two words in a single poem. I learned how to read Shakespeare by talking about the first 10 lines of Hamlet for an hour and a half and realizing that holy poo poo every theme in this play is contained in these opening lines what the hell.

I'm pretty sure you could achieve the same effect by paying as much attention to a blank wall, and encourage everyone to test my theory.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

kolby posted:

Hey guys, I was looking for some recommendations on books that have a certain Twilight Zone type of feel. Specifically, the one's where someone wakes up in a strange place and they have to figure out what the hell is going on(I guess they were all like that). Some movie examples I can give would be "Cube," "Oldboy" and the beginning of the first "Saw." I am reading "The Trial" right now and I just can't get into it, but I like the concept.

Lots of Philip K Dick has that Twilight Zone feel- Eye in the Sky, Ubik, and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said are all good for that particular "waking up in a strange place" idea you mention. Also- and I feel like I bring both PKD and this book up all the drat time- David Eagleman's Sum. Oh, and if you haven't watched Dark City, you should do that, too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

CestMoi posted:

You can think things are good without agreeing with the message they present.

Especially if that message seems to be pretty ironic/self loathing.

Agreed. Only reading things that affirm your personal worldview seems pretty narcissistic and intellectually limiting + limited.
Bukowski isn't my favorite author or even in my top 20. I think in many ways he's emotionally stunted and of course doesn't have a lot of range. But he's never boring and nothing if not honest about himself and the world as he sees it.

e: There's a bit of irony in someone with a Wild Cards tag ripping on Bukowski's outlook on women and sex. For your next essay, tell me about Cersei's discovery of her friend's "Myrish swamp" or about fat pink masts.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 14, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

kolby posted:

They're not great literature by any means, but the Well World and the Riverworld series fit your description to a t and are fun, entertaining reads.

e: Riverworld series is by Phillip Jose Farmer and the first book is To Your Scattered Bodies Go
The Well World series is by Jack L. Chalker and the first book is Midnight at the Well of Souls

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

e: There's a bit of irony in someone with a Wild Cards tag ripping on Bukowski's outlook on women and sex. For your next essay, tell me about Cersei's discovery of her friend's "Myrish swamp" or about fat pink masts.

Don't know what you're talking about dude ASOIAF is a model of feminist lit and not at all dumb garbage that's fun to rip on :jerkbag:

kolby posted:

Steven Hall's The Raw Shark Texts doesn't get enough love imo. Protagonist wakes up with no memory, letters keep arriving in the post from his 'past self,' something called the Un-Space Exploration Committee is involved, and also he's apparently being hunted by a conceptual shark that eats ideas. It's odd in a postmodern way, and leans a little more towards House of Leaves than some of the other things on your list, but it sure keeps the Twilight Zone vibe running for long periods of time. I dig it.

e:

Adib posted:

If you decide to read him, then as a Persian with an interest in Rumi, I recommend Franklin Lewis' Rumi: Swallowing the Sun. Having been published just last year, it's a very recent book. He's one of the foremost Rumi scholars in the world and has a real gift for rendering Persian poetic verse into English. If your poetry has to rhyme, then you'll absolutely want to go with Jawid Mojaddedi's Masnavi series, which he plans to publish in eight volumes (currently, the first three have been published). He maintains Rumi's exact rhyme scheme and nothing about it feels shoehorned. Incidentally, the Masnavi is typically hailed as Rumi's most prodigious work.

I've read Lewis and large chunks of Bicknell's work; have you read Coleman Barks' translation? I've heard mixed reviews.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 14, 2014

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

kolby posted:

Try Blake Crouch's Pines which is basically about a dude that wakes up in a weird town and has no clue where he is or how he got there, and no one will let him leave the town or contact his family. I'm pretty sure it was strongly influenced by a Twilight Zone episode.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

End Of Worlds posted:

have you read Coleman Barks' translation? I've heard mixed reviews.

Unfortunately I haven't, but I've also heard mixed things. I think his translations have been criticized for being less translation and more reinterpretation, which is the same sort of criticism your average Persian studies expert will raise against Edward Fitzgerald's "translation" of Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat—and as someone who's read all of the original quatrains and all of Fitzgerald's rendition, it's a criticism with which I can definitely agree.

This is not to say I don't think Fitzgerald's work is beautiful, because I do. It's just not faithful to the original.

Adib fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 14, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm pretty sure you could achieve the same effect by paying as much attention to a blank wall, and encourage everyone to test my theory.

Nah, (good) poetry only gets better with re-reading. Even the really visceral stuff. :colbert:

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

kolby posted:

You could go right to the source of quite a few episodes--Richard Matheson. There are even anthologies of his TZ scripts: http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Mathesons-Twilight-Scripts-Volume/dp/1887368426

Also, I just finished reading Christopher Priest's "Inverted World" which definitely fits the bill--it's also awesome. Just make sure to avoid reading too much about it--the less you know going in, the more fun it is to read.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can anyone recommend any futuristic books that take place in the near-future?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Can anyone recommend any futuristic books that take place in the near-future?

How near future?
You could try Jennifer Government.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A philosophy of occultism book in the vein of The Necronomicon (NOT H.P. Lovecraft's book) or the Satanic Bible.

I don't actually believe in any of that stuff I just think they are interesting.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

regulargonzalez posted:

How near future?
You could try Jennifer Government.

One of my favorites.!

Also try Avogadro Corp. and the Petrovich series.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

A philosophy of occultism book in the vein of The Necronomicon (NOT H.P. Lovecraft's book) or the Satanic Bible.

I don't actually believe in any of that stuff I just think they are interesting.

It's not quite what you asked for in some ways but you'll probably love The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Have you tried anything Aleister Crowley's written? The only thing I've read by him was his Drug Fiend novel but I know he's written a shitload about that type of stuff and I think he was very influential to the Satanic Bible.