Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

savinhill posted:

Have you tried anything Aleister Crowley's written? The only thing I've read by him was his Drug Fiend novel but I know he's written a shitload about that type of stuff and I think he was very influential to the Satanic Bible.

I have not. I've read a fair bit about him online via Wikipedia and linked articles and such, but nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kvlt! posted:

A philosophy of occultism book in the vein of The Necronomicon (NOT H.P. Lovecraft's book) or the Satanic Bible.

I don't actually believe in any of that stuff I just think they are interesting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend you a comic book. It may not be at all what you want but if you like it you'll really, really like it. (You may hate it).

Promethea by Alan Moore. Alan Moore, if you haven't heard of him, is probably the greatest living comics writer (his best known work is Watchmen). Some of his stuff is absolute genius. Emphasis on "some"; sometimes his experiments fail and sometimes he writes things that nobody else but Alan Moore is interested in.

He decided at some point that Art = Magic and he was going to be a magician and start worshiping a snake god and the whole deal. Promethea is his attempt to write the standard "education of the hero/heroine" story but make it an actual primer in basic occult theory, so that the reader gets a grounding in the philosophy of the kabbalah, tarot, etc., while reading the story.

If you're into that kind of thing it's really neat. If you aren't it's, well, not.

Past that it's hard to find anything that isn't so silly it's hard to read. Almost any pictorial guide to the tarot deck is worth looking over, just because the tarot is in some ways the earliest randomized story generator.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Kvlt! posted:

A philosophy of occultism book in the vein of The Necronomicon (NOT H.P. Lovecraft's book) or the Satanic Bible.

I don't actually believe in any of that stuff I just think they are interesting.

I always thought old Demonology books (Bibliotheca Daemonologica by Ulrich Molitor springs to mind) were really cool. It's often fairly dry reading but very :black101:

(edit)

The Key of Solomon/The Lesser Key of Solomon is probably the most popular old demonology book. I believe it persists into some occult practice today though I am by no means an expert on modern occultism and witchcraft.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 18, 2014

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

elbow posted:

Can anyone recommend me a book about the French Resistance during WWII? Preferably set in and around Paris. I don't mind whether it's fiction or non-fiction, but I'd prefer it to be more of a story rather than an analysis, if that makes sense.

You might be interested in Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone pick up that 'let's read' of Dante's inferno?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Chaucer posted:

You might be interested in Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky.

Thanks, that looks very interesting, I'll definitely have to read it.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

Herr Tog posted:

Did anyone pick up that 'let's read' of Dante's inferno?

No, however I have just finished Dan Browns Inferno, which utilizes Dante's inferno as a source of plot. Having now read the last 3 of Browns books, this started a little slower but ended really well.

Does anyone know of any similar Authors to Dan Brown in the stories challenging faith and history as such?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Umberto Eco.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

Umberto Eco.

Specifically Foucault's Pendulum. Imagine if Dan Brown had actually been a genius writer and a real honest to god expert in medieval history and theology.

I should warn you that the transition is going to be like going drinking kool-aid and thinking it's wine to downing shots of Everclear.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
Does anyone know of a good book on the history of jazz? Preferably not too long.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Jazz history is about the books you don't read.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Klayboxx posted:

Does anyone know of a good book on the history of jazz? Preferably not too long.

Charles Mingus' Beneath the Underdog and Miles Davis' autobiography are both great reads from musicians themselves. And my dad enjoyed Quintet of the Year, although I can't speak to it personally.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just finished Joe Abercrombie's first law trilogy. Are his other books worth reading?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RCarr posted:

I just finished Joe Abercrombie's first law trilogy. Are his other books worth reading?

Yes. I suggest reading them in publication / chronological order (the same, in this instance), so Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I just blew through Plascencia's The People of Paper and Houellebecq's The Elementary Particles, and I particularly loved the latter. It's a stretch of a question to ask, but could anyone recommend me similar surreal/postmodern (?) fiction. Themes on depression/nihilism totally optional.

i honestly don't know if these books are postmodern or not :ohdear:

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

barkingclam posted:

Charles Mingus' Beneath the Underdog and Miles Davis' autobiography are both great reads from musicians themselves. And my dad enjoyed Quintet of the Year, although I can't speak to it personally.

Thank you!

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

ulmont posted:

Yes. I suggest reading them in publication / chronological order (the same, in this instance), so Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country.

Do any of these pick up the characters/events from the end of the trilogy?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Klayboxx posted:

Thank you!

For a one volume history, I really enjoyed Gioia's History of Jazz. The Ken Burns PBS thing is also enjoyable, and pretty informative, but it's got a heavy traditional bias. It's great on Duke and Armstrong, though (just fastforward Wynton when he gets annoying).

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Do any of these pick up the characters/events from the end of the trilogy?

While the first standalone, Best Served Cold, doesn't pick up right from where the trilogy left off, it does feature some characters from the trilogy and alludes to some of what went on after it. The next two standalones feature alot of the characters that weren't in BSC and fills in more of what's been going on.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Specifically Foucault's Pendulum. Imagine if Dan Brown had actually been a genius writer and a real honest to god expert in medieval history and theology.

I should warn you that the transition is going to be like going drinking kool-aid and thinking it's wine to downing shots of Everclear.

Every one of my computers will forever be named Abulafia and I don't care if it's stupid and no one gets it (nobody ever has).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Every one of my computers will forever be named Abulafia and I don't care if it's stupid and no one gets it (nobody ever has).

Sometimes it's not about anyone getting the reference. I have a friend who dressed up as The King in Yellow for Halloween one year.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

mdemone posted:

DO YOU HAVE THE PASSWORD?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

mdemone posted:

One of my pieces of computer equipment bears the name of Number 10 Ox, and we've been known to name cats after a beloved video game or story character (Rydia, anyone?)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Zola posted:

One of my pieces of computer equipment bears the name of Number 10 Ox, and we've been known to name cats after a beloved video game or story character (Rydia, anyone?)

My neighbors let one of their kids name their cat and he picked the name Mewtwo.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I didn't see one, but perhaps I didn't look good enough...is there a True Crime thread in this forum?? I'm running out of ideas for books to read that aren't written by Ann Rule.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I posted this in the History Book Thread and killed it, so I'll repost it here:

me posted:

I'd like books on the histories of Wales and Scotland. Is John Davies' A History of Wales worth the read? Is there an equivalent for Scotland? The book doesn't have to be a single narrative like Davies; I'm fine with reading a few books in sequence that cover different time periods.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

End Of Worlds posted:

I posted this in the History Book Thread and killed it, so I'll repost it here:

Can't help you, unfortunately -- closest thing I've read to a history of wales is the Mabinogion. The amazon reviews look decent?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Serial killers in the future and/or in space. Go.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hedrigall posted:

A Toy for Juliette (short story) by Robert Bloch
The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World (short story sequel to the above) by Harlan Ellison

Not quite serial killers but might be of interest

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
Minority Report (short story) by Phillip K Dick. Note that the story's theme is completely different from the movie and it has a different twist.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I was thinking of picking up Vurt can recommend the series and tell me a bit about it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hedrigall posted:

Blindsight (available for free download, and check the endnotes even if you get the Kindle/published version), Thirteen (called Black Man outside of North America).

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I've been watching True Detective which has a pretty occult, something in this world may or may not be slightly off, higher forces at work HP Lovecraft vibe going to it, which is awesome. The show has introduced me to The Yellow King and in discussions I've heard Thomas Ligotti's name being thrown around as a pretty easy, not to sciency intro to the genre. I found 2 shorts of his and they were great. I'm sure it gets brought up all the time, but does anybody have any recommendations for good, atmospheric horror? Short stories (or collections) are completely okay and preferred. I really want to find a copy of The Nightmare Factory but Amazon has it for the low low price of $68. I've got Teatro Grottesco in my Amazon cart right now but am holding off for any other recommendations.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
I was thinking of picking up The Lightning Thief soon. I've never seen the movie and was recommended it on Goodreads. Anyone read it and willing to vouch for it?

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

yoohoo posted:

I've been watching True Detective which has a pretty occult, something in this world may or may not be slightly off, higher forces at work HP Lovecraft vibe going to it, which is awesome. The show has introduced me to The Yellow King and in discussions I've heard Thomas Ligotti's name being thrown around as a pretty easy, not to sciency intro to the genre. I found 2 shorts of his and they were great. I'm sure it gets brought up all the time, but does anybody have any recommendations for good, atmospheric horror? Short stories (or collections) are completely okay and preferred. I really want to find a copy of The Nightmare Factory but Amazon has it for the low low price of $68. I've got Teatro Grottesco in my Amazon cart right now but am holding off for any other recommendations.

Check out Laird Barron's short fiction, lots of it has a very creepy atmosphere. Occultation is my favorite of his.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sick of reading tech manuals and cheesy science fiction. I'm looking for something new to read. Help me out goons!

My favorite authors are probably Christopher Hitchens, Martin Amis, Ian McEwan, Jospeph Heller, Vonnegut, Bukowski, and Salman Rushdie. I've read most everything they've written. I'm looking for some new biting satire mixed with a touch of slapstick. Any suggestions?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm sick of reading tech manuals and cheesy science fiction. I'm looking for something new to read. Help me out goons!

My favorite authors are probably Christopher Hitchens, Martin Amis, Ian McEwan, Jospeph Heller, Vonnegut, Bukowski, and Salman Rushdie. I've read most everything they've written. I'm looking for some new biting satire mixed with a touch of slapstick. Any suggestions?

C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters comes to mind.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Ever read anything by Gore Vidal? I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but I think Duluth might be up your alley.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The works of William Gaddis fit that mold too.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters comes to mind.

drat, that was fast. The only thing I've read by Lewis is Mere Christianity, which I enjoyed reading despite the fact I'm not a religious person. I may give this a shot. Thanks!

Edit: I'll also look into Vidal and Gaddis. I just remembered that I need to read some John Fante too.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Happy Hedonist posted:

Since you seem to enjoy the Brits I would check out Will Self and Julian Barnes. Particularly Great Apes and Flaubert's Parrot.