Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doctor Bishop posted:

Original poster for comparison/because it's loving awesome.

Goddamn, that poster is something. My brother used to have it on his wall, though he'd never seen the movie. When the Peter Jackson LotR movies started coming out, I wanted to check it out, so I went to the videostore and ordered it on VHS. The guy helping me was pretty confused when I emphasized that I wanted the cartoon version. If only he could've warned me that it was kind of garbage beyond the novelty of seeing it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Frooooodooooo of the niiiiiiine fingerrrrssss and the ring of DOOOOM!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

80's artists just didn't give a gently caress and everything was IN YOUR GODDAMN loving FACE.

I love it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Where's the "confusing ripoff tactics" part?

I don't know why you need this explained, but it is using the style of the modern films to make people think they are related, or even the same at a glance!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

They serve no purpose except to trick people out of the know into watching and buying their films. Not that everything should be high art but at least loving try to making something good. I watched their Pacific Rim ripoff just to see how bad it could be and it was just so loving lazy and embarrassing. Usually someone will say in the end it's about a paycheque - but how much can one even make from these things? $10k? It's all garbage and no one is laughing with them.

Paranormal Entity and (especially) 100 Ghost Street are actually totally excellent.

I also support Rise of the Zombies, which plays out like a Fulci film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Paranormal Entity and (especially) 100 Ghost Street are actually totally excellent.

I also support Rise of the Zombies, which plays out like a Fulci film.

Backing you up on those three, in particular Rise of the Zombies. That cast is phenomenal.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure that this could be true as Robert Pattinson really really hated the books and thought that Edward was a creepy weirdo.

While I'm sure that he probably does think those things, trashing it so much in interviews and commentaries is absolutely a PR move to keep up a bad-boy image and maintain some real actor cred.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

While I'm sure that he probably does think those things, trashing it so much in interviews and commentaries is absolutely a PR move to keep up a bad-boy image and maintain some real actor cred.

So he's like most of the internet trying to keep up their 'cool' image?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I've spoken to people who've met Robert Pattinson; The guy is views Edward and Twilight as wish fulfillment - which is precisely what it is, so you can't fault him for being inaccurate.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
To be doubly fair, there are whole swathes of fiction that are unabashedly wish fulfillment, some are just better executed than others. And even ones that aren't that great, like Conan or The Beastmaster, we tend to look upon more warmly as long as they aren't marketed to teen girls.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

There was a story how he and the actor who plays Ronald Weasly had a bet, and Robert Pattinson won. The punishment? He had to real all of the books.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wendell posted:

I don't know why you need this explained, but it is using the style of the modern films to make people think they are related, or even the same at a glance!
Which part is using the style of the modern films? It's using the old font, and the image is hand-drawn, a style I don't recall popping up in any of the live-action promo material. And how confusing can it be if it says "Original Animated Classic" right there on the cover? Does that mean that the style of the modern films equals the brushed red background?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Which part is using the style of the modern films? It's using the old font, and the image is hand-drawn, a style I don't recall popping up in any of the live-action promo material. And how confusing can it be if it says "Original Animated Classic" right there on the cover? Does that mean that the style of the modern films equals the brushed red background?

The gold lettering is the signature of the movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New Godzilla poster released today via FB. He's loving HUGE.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Vintersorg posted:

Woah, that IS huge. I wonder if he's really going to be that big in the film. The 1998 Godzilla poster also showed him bigger than what he actually ended up being.

And I'm talking about this one of course:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of misleading covers

Note, she does not have blonde hair in this movie.

Also, weird thing about this movie, I know it exists because of the poster/cover, trailer and news article but there's no record of it on IMDB at all.

It's from the last page, but is there a reason she's holding the Clan MacLeod sword from Highlander? It's the exact same sword, down to the handguard and the metal spiral on the grip.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

There was a story how he and the actor who plays Ronald Weasly had a bet, and Robert Pattinson won. The punishment? He had to real all of the books.

He was in Spain for something and had a stalker outside his hotel every night. So one night he goes to her and takes her out to dinner. He proceeds to bore her with complaints about his life and how much the movies suck.

She never returned.

Vintersorg posted:

That scale can't be right. :stare:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He was in Spain for something and had a stalker outside his hotel every night. So one night he goes to her and takes her out to dinner. He proceeds to bore her with complaints about his life and how much the movies suck.

She never returned.

gently caress the haters, Robert Pattinson owns.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She never returned.

That scale can't be right. :stare:

It's not. He's going to be around 150 meters. Give or take. That poster is just for badassery.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I know TV isn't this thread's purview but, here, have some more lovely minimalism:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Criminal Minded posted:

I know TV isn't this thread's purview but, here, have some more lovely minimalism:
:barf:

I'm beginning to hate minimalism now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It also the fact that most of those could be other shows. I was sure one was Hannibal and another Carnivale.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

LeJackal posted:

I'm beginning to hate minimalism now.

Only beginning? drat most of us are way ahead of you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A show like that is full of rich, visually astounding images...and they only chose the most obvious ones, and made them into the most basic, dullest looking posters.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It also the fact that most of those could be other shows. I was sure one was Hannibal and another Carnivale.

poo poo I thought the antler one was Hannibal until I blew it up.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CelticPredator posted:

A show like that is full of rich, visually astounding images...and they only chose the most obvious ones, and made them into the most basic, dullest looking posters.

Paper dolls represent that show perfectly I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Paper dolls represent that show perfectly I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about

Are they still paper dolls if they're made of beer cans?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here's the first poster for Guardians of the Galaxy:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I really wonder how mainstream audiences are going to react to a Marvel movie with weird, obscure characters like that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

I don't want to confirm this via observation, but I know that with the release of this poster the time until pictures of that raccoon thing loving somebody on that poster appearing on the internet is going to exponentially decrease until it is a mathematical certainty.

Enjoy the internet while you still can.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

I really wonder how mainstream audiences are going to react to a Marvel movie with weird, obscure characters like that.

I've never read a comic and I'm more excited about that than I was about The Avengers. The Nolan Batman movies were probably the only other comic book movies I actively anticipated. I like stupid fantasy with decent humor and action I can understand (anti-Transformers) and the trailer seems to show that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That's like the least exploitative pose for a woman on a poster for a Marvel movie yet.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Do they really need to remind people that Marvel brought us all those other Marvel films? Gotta throw out other popular franchise names for those who don't know what GotG is, I guess. Good poster, though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

GonSmithe posted:

That looks like a sci fi book cover

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

axleblaze posted:

That's like the least exploitative pose for a woman on a poster for a Marvel movie yet.

That was what I jumped on, too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Do they really need to remind people that Marvel brought us all those other Marvel films? Gotta throw out other popular franchise names for those who don't know what GotG is, I guess. Good poster, though.

Guardians is so far out from anything Marvel as done, they will be cashing in any currency they have to get this popular.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ThatPazuzu posted:

While they look weird it should be pointed out that on the right we have Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel and Zoe Saldana.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The "You're Welcome" tag is a bit strange, but I guess they're selling hard on the whole Space Dicks thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before this movie. If I see that poster I'm thinking they're seriously trying to sell me a comic book superhero movie with a loving raccoon in it. The "You're Welcome", however, let's me know that it's all kind of in jest and light fare no matter how serious the pose is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's a good point. Without that tag, the poster has a completely different tone.