Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Say Nothing posted:

I'm sure some cunning linguist can confirm/deny this translation...

Sort of correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

If someone got this ironically it would be one of my favorite tattoos of all time.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Why does that tattoo of Vincent Price say Kevin?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

LorrdErnie posted:

It's really not that bad.

Yeah, in the same way getting punched in the face isn't as bad as getting kicked in the nuts.

That is a loving awful tattoo.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Loc of fove.
Guann gnardpa

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That owl is loving terrible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shrapnac posted:

Haha, shut up you sad sjw, that tattoo is awful.
Politics aside, it's really bad.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Copying that character into GIS produces many pictures of Chinese hobos. So I think in Chinese it is correct.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Are bad mods also topical? I was looking at a piercer's portfolio that included branding, and this is the point where I closed the page:

Linking for the squeamish- it's a black and white picture of someone's really bad branding, done by a professional that owns a shop, not a kitchen wizard: http://i.imgur.com/3cqUH9f.jpg

I know branding and scarification aren't going to be nearly as precise as tattoos, but man...those lines are bad, real bad.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I have yet to see a scarification or brand that looks good. Why do people get that poo poo done?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Ok Fella posted:

I have yet to see a scarification or brand that looks good. Why do people get that poo poo done?

Equal parts stupidity and drunken bravado.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only good scar stuff I've seen was in some nat geo or discovery documentary where they showed some south east Asian Buddhists (I think they were Theraveda which is like the super old school hardcore primal Buddhist branch) who got these really intricate scarifications done that all looked sort of like the kind of thing you'd see etched into stone on a temple.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only good scar stuff I've seen was in some nat geo or discovery documentary where they showed some south east Asian Buddhists (I think they were Theraveda which is like the super old school hardcore primal Buddhist branch) who got these really intricate scarifications done that all looked sort of like the kind of thing you'd see etched into stone on a temple.

Now that sounds cool looking. To google!

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

no way

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haggis Heed posted:

Loc of fove.
Guann gnardpa

This script is really bad, but I wonder if it's intended to mimic the handwriting of the grandpa in question? If he always signed cards or whatever that way, bad handwriting and all, and his grandchild got his signature as a tribute tattoo, I actually think it's sort of cute. :shobon:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was my read on it, too. I imagine the source image was an old Snoopy birthday card or something.

I have a child's understanding of how tattoos work, but I doubt you make stray marks with one the way you do with pens. Dragging the loop on the 'f' in 'of' into the 'l' in 'love' is a total pen-move, and so is the disconnected loop at the bottom of the illegible first word in the second line.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grape Soda posted:

Are bad mods also topical? I was looking at a piercer's portfolio that included branding, and this is the point where I closed the page:

Linking for the squeamish- it's a black and white picture of someone's really bad branding, done by a professional that owns a shop, not a kitchen wizard: http://i.imgur.com/3cqUH9f.jpg

I know branding and scarification aren't going to be nearly as precise as tattoos, but man...those lines are bad, real bad.

Man, Star of David tattoos are whatever, but getting it scarified on you is kind of amazing.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Inspector_666 posted:

Man, Star of David tattoos are whatever, but getting it scarified on you is kind of amazing.

I had a Jewish friend that used to complain about part of the religion that didn't make sense: "You can get a boob job or a nose job, but one tattoo and you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery."

If that's true (I honestly don't know), maybe scarification is a kind of loophole way of getting a tattoo?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

contrapants posted:

I had a Jewish friend that used to complain about part of the religion that didn't make sense: "You can get a boob job or a nose job, but one tattoo and you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery."

If that's true (I honestly don't know), maybe scarification is a kind of loophole way of getting a tattoo?

That's probably more on the rumor side of things, because there's a sort of general "Don't be an rear end in a top hat, especially to other Jews" clause that would usually preclude somebody from refusing burial.

I mean, I'm sure the Hassids wouldn't do it, but a Hassidic Jew isn't getting a tattoo to begin with.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
There is no rule in Judaism against tattoos. There is one orthodox cemetery that has a rule against them, but other than that it's an old wives tale told by Jewish mothers to keep their kids from getting tattooed. That being said, some Jews do think that it is disrespectful to the Jews who were tattooed against their will in the Holocaust, but that is neither here nor there.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Staryberry posted:

There is no rule in Judaism against tattoos. There is one orthodox cemetery that has a rule against them, but other than that it's an old wives tale told by Jewish mothers to keep their kids from getting tattooed. That being said, some Jews do think that it is disrespectful to the Jews who were tattooed against their will in the Holocaust, but that is neither here nor there.

Well, other than the whole Leviticus 19:28 bit, anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

One Eye Open posted:

Yeah, but if you start turning people away based on Leviticus, no one's gettin' in the drat cemetery. That book has rules against basically everything.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I should have been more clear. There is no rule against being buried in a Jewish cemetery if you are tattooed. As far as I know, the only limitations on burial in a Jewish Cemetery are for non-Jews. While people who commit suicide are technically not allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery, most congregations will find that the person was not sane (thus not responsible for his or her actions) or that suicide rather than accident cannot be proved with absolute certainty, allowing the person to be buried in the Jewish Cemetery.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Done well but subject matter....

Infinite Christmas cookies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ok Fella posted:

Because it was 1998 and it seemed like the thing to do. I wish I had older pictures of my brand but trust me that they do not age well. The scars still look about the same but it is never going to be a super clean look. I don't regret getting them but would not get anymore. Fortunately I grew enough chest hair in my 30's to cover the really bad kitchen wizard scars on my chest.

Edit: Also in the late 90's I met these guys in a hardcore band called "the blood of Abraham" who all had their grandfather's camp numbers tattooed on their arms.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Feb 21, 2014

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Nascardad posted:

The first one looks really cool, but the last one looks like Christmas.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Nascardad posted:

What is the thing in the middle of the last one supposed to be? It's not in any of the other pics.
drat, these lines.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Do you mean the symbol for infinity?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

IUG posted:

The faint marks below that.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Fell asleep on some crumpled paper.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

One Eye Open posted:

That whole section of Leviticus is about doing things in mourning (shaving, scarring/tattooing, &c.).

The Talmud probably has even more prohibitions against all tats, but the Leviticus prohibition really only means you shouldn't get a tattoo of your dead mother.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

That whole section of Leviticus is about doing things in mourning (shaving, scarring/tattooing, &c.).

The Talmud probably has even more prohibitions against all tats, but the Leviticus prohibition really only means you shouldn't get a tattoo of your dead mother.

No it's not. Leviticus 19 is about general rules, it's only Lev.19:28 that mentions mourning, so the scarring and probably tattooing is only in case of mourning. The shaving and cutting of hair on the other hand is a general rule (lev. 19:27).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

bunnielab posted:

Because it was 1998 and it seemed like the thing to do. I wish I had older pictures of my brand but trust me that they do not age well. The scars still look about the same but it is never going to be a super clean look. I don't regret getting them but would not get anymore. Fortunately I grew enough chest hair in my 30's to cover the really bad kitchen wizard scars on my chest.

The only scarification I've seen that I think really looks good are the super duper traditional ones done in some African tribes. They tend to be entirely non pictorgaphic, and just consist of dots, bands and short lines done in simple patterns that follow the contours of the body or face.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Here's a guy with a bunch of Buddhist scarifications, obviously not an Asian monk though.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Here's a guy with a bunch of Buddhist scarifications, obviously not an Asian monk though.

Ribbed. For her pleasure.

Seriously tho would scarifying your penis like this make you a hit with the ladies?
Someone do it and post a trip report.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'd probably be a terrible idea since scar tissue is only half as flexible as the tissue it's replacing. Combine that with a super stretchy organ like the penis and well...

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

jeebus bob posted:

Ribbed. For her pleasure.

Seriously tho would scarifying your penis like this make you a hit with the ladies?
Someone do it and post a trip report.

Alright, trying this.

Edit: At hostpital lost penat post mote later.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
how does intricate scarring like that look twenty or thirty years down the line? For that matter, how do tattoos done in the bright, crisp intricate modern style look over the following decades, you always see these stunningly beautiful tats when they're fairly fresh, does that last?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

IUG posted:

No, I mean the marks below that, between the other scars and her navel. I'd usually just assume sheet wrinkles but they're kind of symmetrical so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fatkraken posted:

how does intricate scarring like that look twenty or thirty years down the line? For that matter, how do tattoos done in the bright, crisp intricate modern style look over the following decades, you always see these stunningly beautiful tats when they're fairly fresh, does that last?

The ink appears to fade and blur due to the effects of time, sunlight, etc. Here's a hint: (click for hugeness)

• Locked thread