Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Cease to Hope posted:

so is there an earth-2 where bitcoins are the worldwide currency

it's them; they're the ones who stole all the bitcoins from this reality

actually it makes sense since bitcoiners already seem to live in an alternate universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Robawesome posted:

Edit: Due to some angry Gox depositors, I've been advised to disclose that Karpeles was overstating the fact that he had "lined up" investors. The truth is, in a move of desperation, Mark asked several investors for a bailout, all of which seemed to have immediately notified the authorities once they learned the extent of the fraud, negligence or incompetence at Mt. Gox.

that lovely pdf was gox's pitchdeck. that's incredible

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cease to Hope posted:

the anti-miner threatens the entire multiverse

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Robawesome posted:

Anonymous Taxi Services - Now serving worldwide beta testing (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by ANONTAXI

Need to get from point a to point b anonymously with bitcoins? Now you can.

Available in most major cities we are beta testing our new ANON Taxi services. Contact us via torchat, bitmessage, or other secure method and have your taxi nearby in minutes (per availability).

Questions? Reviewers? Post or pm us for more info.

except for the part where there's not a cab left in the us that doesn't have a camera recording everything

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

reversed bitcoin mining that reduces entropy instead of generating it, thus freezing all of existence

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

hundreds of universes are at stake

no wait thousands

wait, now just dozens

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FrozenVent posted:

they subscribe to the ostrichian school of economics you see

Schroedinger's Dead Cat bounce

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ol qwerty bastard posted:

good lord

even after everything, they haven't abandoned the "10x value increase per year!" model

bitcoin predictions are literally

Hot cake sales are through the roof! Soon they will be through the Astrosphere!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

how many people would need to die so that 7 transactions per second was enough to handle the global economy? all but 50,000 or so?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

:siren: whoa, what happened here? :siren:

https://blockchain.info/address/1G9BpYzPsDfVTRk3SjqqK97oVk5MSZ52p6

quote:

MtGox blockchain forensics (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by goxloser

So I've been trying to figure out where Gox's funds went. At the time of withdrawal closing their hot wallet was:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Facb8QnikfPUoo8WVFnyai3e1Hcov9y8T

To the best of my knowledge, the most a verified user can withdraw per day is 300 btc and only after requesting the limit to be raised from 100 btc. So following the transactions....

6k remaining https://blockchain.info/address/1CJBqJ3MwUVVNsqXpJx8Aecc3PWxSWPmUc

2 hops removed: 10k as of Feb 5th, 2014 https://blockchain.info/address/1Gg9GGQWmRk1pp4vNkMqLaEiPVNdiNvz7E

2 hops removed: 10k as of Feb 5th, 2014 https://blockchain.info/address/1LfV1tSt3KNyHpFJnAzrqsLFdeD2EvU1MK

Hopefully this is evidence that Gox has coin and was simply flushing their hot wallet in an attempt to stop further loss.

[–]huhexchanges 1 point 1 minute ago

ask yourself: who is anarchy5?

[–]huhexchanges 1 point 42 seconds ago

[22:24:01] <anarchy5> do you guys want a courtesy 1 minute warning before i dump a huge amount? [22:24:11] <brembo> anarchy5: nah, just do it [22:24:14] <DJSakamura> Gox and probably RTBTC [22:24:25] <pera> anarchy5: please! [22:24:28] <xoip> it will bottom out at $5 [22:24:34] <brembo> 4.85 [22:24:35] <d3p0rt3d> 50% of profit earned for any heads up from anyone [22:24:47] <anarchy5> consider it your 1 minute courtesy warning :)

[–]huhexchanges 1 point 5 seconds ago

https://blockchain.info/address/1G9BpYzPsDfVTRk3SjqqK97oVk5MSZ52p6

I've got a large list of other potentials, which are the output of a program I wrote, that I'm manually going through.

Additionally there are a lot of 4 to 8 hop links to https://blockchain.info/address/1Ne5bGjDdgmbsGdNK9ocwrQiWf8K1FTuSa, anyone know who owns this wallet?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

fermun posted:

how many people would need to die so that 7 transactions per second was enough to handle the global economy? all but 50,000 or so?

earth-2 is dc's mirror universe, so over there bitcoin was a genuine technological breakthrough that broke the chains of evil fiat currency and ushered in a new age of worldwide economic prosperity

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

no, that would be earth-713 earth-845 earth-982 earth-463 earth-549 earth-131

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bitcoin Foundation snitched on Mt. Gox to the feds

quote:

Feb. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The Bitcoin Foundation, an advocacy group for the nascent digital currency, provided information to federal prosecutors this week that helped spur a probe into Mt. Gox, a shuttered exchange in Tokyo.

“The Bitcoin Foundation proactively reached out to the Southern District of New York to offer assistance,” the foundation said in an e-mailed statement. “We are continuing to help them and we are cooperating fully with their investigation.”

Shortly after Mt. Gox’s chief executive officer, Mark Karpeles, resigned from the foundation’s board on Feb. 24, the organization provided the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office with documents described as detailing the theft of as much as $400 million from the exchange, according to two people familiar with the effort.
The people requested anonymity because the communications were private.

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are probing possible criminal violations tied to the shutdown of Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox, two other people familiar with the matter said. Bharara requested that Mt. Gox preserve documents as part of the probe, one of the people said.

Bharara’s office also requested information from the foundation as well as companies that have done business with Mt. Gox, said one of the people briefed on the foundation’s contacts with prosecutors. The foundation and the companies are not targets of the investigation, the person said.

Increased Attention

The shuttering of Mt. Gox, once the world’s largest exchange for digital-currency transactions, comes after months in which Bitcoin’s price soared, attracting increased attention from investors and customers, even as regulators and lawmakers raised concern that the currency could be used for money- laundering and fraud. Japanese authorities said earlier they are probing the exchange’s shutdown as well.

As reports surfaced suggesting the exchange was in trouble, other Bitcoin companies as well as the foundation worked to distance themselves from Mt. Gox.

“As our industry matures, we are seeing a second wave of capable, responsible entrepreneurs and investors who are building reliable services for this ecosystem,” the foundation said yesterday in a statement.

Mt. Gox, which had the largest market share of all digital currency exchanges as recently as April 2013, went offline yesterday after halting customers’ Bitcoin withdrawals on Feb. 7. A document posted on the Internet labeled “Crisis Strategy Draft” said Mt. Gox had lost 744,408 Bitcoins, about $400 million at current rates, as a result of theft that “went unnoticed for several years.”

Document Provided

The Bitcoin Foundation provided that document to Bharara’s office soon after obtaining it, one of the people said.

A statement posted today on the Mt. Gox website attributed to Karpeles said he is “still in Japan” working to resolve the exchange’s problems. The exchange’s staff has been instructed “not to give any response or information,” the statement said.

Bitcoin was introduced in 2008 by a programmer or group of programmers under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. The digital currency, based on a peer-to-peer software protocol, has no central issuing authority, and uses a public ledger to verify transactions while preserving user anonymity.

Previous Probes

Jennifer Queliz, a spokeswoman for Bharara, said the office would neither confirm or deny the existence of a federal investigation. Bharara’s office has previously filed charges against Silk Road, an online drug bazaar that accepted Bitcoin, and BitInstant, a New York-based exchange.

This isn’t the first time Mt. Gox has drawn the attention of U.S. authorities. The Department of Homeland Security seized two bank accounts belonging to Mt. Gox worth a total of $5 million last year because the exchange wasn’t registered with the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.

The foundation and Mt. Gox clashed on Feb. 10, before the exchange went offline, when Mt. Gox blamed its troubles on the underlying software for Bitcoin. The foundation, which helps steward the open-source Bitcoin software, responded that the exchange’s customized implementation of it, not the software itself, was to blame.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Bitcoin-Foundation-Said-to-Ask-Prosecutors-for-5271082.php

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

earth-2 is dc's mirror universe, so over there bitcoin was a genuine technological breakthrough that broke the chains of evil fiat currency and ushered in a new age of worldwide economic prosperity

oh my god that is one hell of a trap

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

how. how does it keep getting better?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
please let the money be missing because of embezzlement by mark karpeles and the whole transaction id thing is just a coverup

please let the us seize 740,000 bitcoins and all of mark's money

please let this be a signal to regulators to require strict AML implementation at all bitcoin exchanges

please let them find something that starts an audit of bitpay

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Lost everything.... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago by Americoin

All my money was in bitcoin at mtgox. I have nothing left after mtgox closed.

I was making money buying/selling btc, but with mtgox closed, I'm bankrupt. Like, totally nothing.

What's the point in living....

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Robawesome posted:

I was making money buying/selling btc, but with mtgox closed, I'm bankrupt. Like, totally nothing.

good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Bitcoin Foundation snitched on Mt. Gox to the feds

great now im dead

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

kerpeeples

kerpooples

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Cantorsdust posted:

please let the money be missing because of embezzlement by mark karpeles and the whole transaction id thing is just a coverup

please let the us seize 740,000 bitcoins and all of mark's money

please let this be a signal to regulators to require strict AML implementation at all bitcoin exchanges

please let them find something that starts an audit of bitpay

what the heck makes bitpay so bad? why are people itt keep naming bitpay?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

what the heck makes bitpay so bad? why are people itt keep naming bitpay?
butts go in

dollars come out

this is a sustainable business model because

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
oh gently caress that was how wasn't it :doh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robawesome posted:

If only there were a phone number to call for someone in such a state of depression

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

well i guess that answers the request for preservation :drat:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

butts go in

dollars come out

this is a sustainable business model because

butt go in

I skim the butts

dollars never go out

sustainable

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

oh gently caress that was how wasn't it :doh:

report to adtrw for decontamination and reeducation citizen

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
haven't been able to follow the drama for the last 24 hours, what's happened since gox yesterday shutdown?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

chickens go in

pies come out

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

haven't been able to follow the drama for the last 24 hours, what's happened since gox yesterday shutdown?

scroll ↑

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ol qwerty bastard posted:

chickens go in

pies come out
what kind of pies??

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

plz refererence this post and crack a beer while doing so

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3606857&perpage=40&pagenumber=203#post426265598

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what kind of pies??
apple!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
[–]frankenmint 2 points 1 hour ago

Skip the contact form, his email is: senator@manchin.senate.gov

Mine didn't bounce so I believe it is legitimate:

I wanted to let you know that I am a strong proponent for Bitcoin. I run a website selling Bitcoin adoption ware and will work hard to spread the message of cryptocurrency. I believe that there is much more good than bad that comes from it, and the truth is that you come off as a sensationalist that stands to gain from legislation which would attempt to ban Bitcoin. I have invested much Bitcoin into mining hardware and I will be just as stout as the NRA if it comes down to regulation. How will you ever plan to outlaw my activities? Banning Bitcoin is the same effectiveness as banning internet piracy, yet TV shows like the Simpsons mock such an activity.

I just felt the need to express this because as you may or may not know, Bitcoin cannot just be shut down by attacking the major players. (Shutting down Bitcoin is going to be as successful as shutting down the internet – SERIOUSLY!) In fact, you will only be allowing other startups to proliferate in their place, many of them will choose to be outside of the jurisdiction and purview of the USA. If you are interested in any of my activities I go by the internet name Frankenmint. I don’t care what you could ever plan on doing to ban Bitcoin because I will continue to mine Bitcoin and other cypto-currencies forever, even if Bitcoin price goes back go pennies on the dollar. I have taken the liberty of posting your social media information and email address in as many places as I can because I believe that you have yet to owe us a better explanation for wanting to ban Bitcoin, but not wanting to ban the ultimate money laundering terrorist financing drug buying tool of choice – Fiat Currency.

I decided to attack your character personally because I see unfounded arguments that could be expressed towards the US dollar. We see that our gas prices and food prices increase because the government chooses to print more and more currency (well, you adjust the numbers shown in the computer systems ran between banking and the PRIVATE federal reserve) which in turn causes Dollars to lose their value over time. It is a shame that our banking system runs on fractional banking and by extension our government does the same through use of reissuing bonds with near zero interest rates simply to remain “solvent”. Here is what I have written about you:

Dear Senator,

Let me tell you that Quantitative Easing is what will end the USD and THAT is more dangerous than Mt. Gox. I feel awful for Mt. Gox and their customers, but this is Definitely a Good Thing! Now we will see more oversight with highly liquid markets like how traditional securities are managed. There will be many smaller players too that will still allow you to participate in the digital economy like local boards and localbitcoins.com, but NOW there will be better regulation on the new large liquid exchanges and exchange houses like coinbase. Bitcoin is and will always remain more frictionless than cash.

There is no reason to proclaim an outright ban on a digital currency unless you have self fulfilling interests from those who stand to lose from its adoption. Players like JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Citibank. I see that on your campaign contributions that commercial banks ranked #13 on your list of top payees:https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/industries.php?type=C&cid=N00032838&newMem=N&cycle=2014

Sincerely,

Frankenmint https://www.honeybadgerofmoney.com

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

[–]freakingjesus 2 points 3 hours ago

I just emailed him

Senator,

You're making a mistake calling to ban this technology. What you're failing to see are the inevitable massively-positive changes that are on the horizon. Cryptocurrency is the internet 2.0 and it's as disruptive and inherently socially good as this title implies.

It's not a matter of if you can ban cryptocurrency or not, because you can't. It's a matter of will these innovations take place in the United States or not.

Please reconsider your position, thanks for you time.

[–]yeh-nah-yeh 1 point 1 hour ago

My reply

https://twitter.com/BitcoinBetGuide/status/438864506479841280
Bitcoin is freedom, you are a want to be tyrant. Please disclose what interest paid you how much money to send this letter?

Pst the answer is JP morgan paid him $30,000

[–]CeasefireX 1 point 48 minutes ago

Sent:

"Bitcoin is used FAR more for good in legitimate use cases than it is as a means of money laundering. You want money laundering? LOOK TO YOUR KIN AT HSBC. Bitcoin isn't a fart on an ants rear end in comparison. You are inviting an onslaught of negative public reaction to any future cause of yours. If you embark on setting these wheels in motion, you will be known as the one who stifled innovation, withheld the potential for financial independence for millions, and destroyed economic opportunities for countless individuals in already trying times. I know you will not re-consider as your as likely to be heavily influenced. But know that you making a grave error in judgment. You will not stop illicit activities with such a proposed ban but you will absolutely alienate yourself as a harbinger of ill-will towards the honest, hardworking American innovator and job creator."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
im the random capitalization

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

holy gently caress i hate this guy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]Doubledogs 2 points 26 minutes ago

just say what I said.

Dear Senator Manchild.

I have never admired your bipartanship, and come to think of it, I've never heard of you before today, and I will probably never think of you again. In spite of all that, I just wanted to let you know that your idea of 'Banning Bitcoin' due to its dangerous nature is as hair-brained as cousin It.

-Insincerely A pair of talking dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
so does anyone have any idea out of the bit block chain or whatever how much estimated real money was paid in and got paid out of mtg ox?

• Locked thread