Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've been home from my trip for quite a while now, and I realize I never posted anything about it in this thread. I really appreciate all the advice I was given here, it helped a lot. I had a great time, other than the flying. Here are just a few pictures out of the nearly-a-thousand that I took.

A shot across the Railay peninsula, from one of the outcroppings at its southeast point. Getting here was a scramble, not an actual vertical climb, but there were definitely spots that made me think "If I fall, I could very possibly die."

The trail leading down into the lagoon on Railay. Sadly, I got there at low tide and it was just a mud puddle, but it was still a neat place to see, and getting in and out again was really fun.

Very tasty food, at Suda on Sukhumvit Soi 14, as recommended in this thread.

There were things I definitely missed out on. I didn't visit the Soi 3 Arab quarter, even though I wandered past it on Sukhumvit (I did a lot of wandering up and down that road). I didn't visit any of the floating markets or night markets - I hardly did anything at night, in fact, because my internal clock kicked me onto a "wake up at 6am, fall asleep at 9pm" schedule and I wasn't there for long enough to readjust. I didn't see any of the big tourist destination temples and whatnot, but those aren't as interesting to me and I don't feel the need to see them just to check them off on a list.

I guess that gives me some things to keep in mind for next time :getin:

Although if/when I go there again, I need to arrange it so I'm there for more than six days. Flying to the far side of the world and back just eats up too large a proportion of my vacation when it's so short, it'd have been much better if I'd had two weeks or so instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Is that on the Jersey Turnpike?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Is that on the Jersey Turnpike?

I thought it was KL.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

What are the chances of finding somewhere to live for a week or two on Koh Tao upon arrival? I'm thinking of going there for some freediving on my way to Indonesia (it will be useful there, and I can skip the chaos of Idul Fitri). I'll need a private room to hold up in for a week or two and my budget is slim, but some searching around online is making my prospects look pretty bleak.

pomegranates fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 5, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
For anyone coming to Bangkok, check out this map by EatingThaiFood for... food.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...16&source=embed

So you don't end up ordering "Pad Thai not spicy" for every meal.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2014

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Holiday is finally here :woop:

I'm packing pants and denim shorts :colbert:

Will arrive in bangkok on sunday!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Barfolemew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsCLHyRO-Y

VV -- lolol that's the upcoming goon meet.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 26, 2014

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAl9OyGYxOg

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

TropicalGoons!

The lady is making noises about a holiday to Fiji. Casual browsing has alerted me to a coup in 2009 leading Fiji to be led by decree for the most part until maybe September this year. This doesnt seem to affect the tourism.

Can anyone give me some more boots on the ground advice and maybe some highlights to see and do. We're looking at 10 days over easter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know there's a post about it at the start of the thread, but do you all have any recommended places on the internet to learn Thai? My girlfriend's family is coming from there to visit us this spring/summer, and while they have a little bit of English that they can speak I want to have a little Thai to match and my girlfriend has given up on teaching me herself. I actually checked out Rosetta Stone for that but they don't have a Thai version.

Also if anyone wants to teach me how to say "hey I'd like to marry your daughter, is that cool?" then I'd be really grateful, because the current plan is to ask her dad that while he's here.:ssh:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdfXljz50iU

Also, I'll be in Bangkok next weekend, if anyone wants to meet up..

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdfXljz50iU

Also, I'll be in Bangkok next weekend, if anyone wants to meet up..
Hahah, yes. I love that skit.

I should be around next weekend to grab a beer. You bring the potable water, I'll bring the fun.

C-Euro posted:

I know there's a post about it at the start of the thread, but do you all have any recommended places on the internet to learn Thai? My girlfriend's family is coming from there to visit us this spring/summer, and while they have a little bit of English that they can speak I want to have a little Thai to match and my girlfriend has given up on teaching me herself. I actually checked out Rosetta Stone for that but they don't have a Thai version.

Also if anyone wants to teach me how to say "hey I'd like to marry your daughter, is that cool?" then I'd be really grateful, because the current plan is to ask her dad that while he's here.:ssh:
"Have money, have car, have money, have car"

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Kommando posted:

TropicalGoons!

The lady is making noises about a holiday to Fiji. Casual browsing has alerted me to a coup in 2009 leading Fiji to be led by decree for the most part until maybe September this year. This doesnt seem to affect the tourism.

Can anyone give me some more boots on the ground advice and maybe some highlights to see and do. We're looking at 10 days over easter.

Is this within our area of jurisdiction? Fiji is more Pacific than SEA but there isn't a Pacific thread...? Anyway I've never been further east than Sydney so I'm no help, sorry :(

As for learning Thai, I've just been watching youtube videos when I get up in the morning and rushing out and immediately saying whatever I've been learning to the first Thai person I see. They laugh at my hilarious pronounciation, correct it, laugh again at my attempt and eventually I get there. No matter what program you use, nothing can beat being on the ground and just trying it until you get it right.

Anyway since nobody gave me any advice for Chiang Mai (yeh thanks guys) I went to Pai instead. I flew with Kan Air from Chiang Mai > Pai for $60 for a 25 minute flight which was disgustingly decadent but easily the best flight I've ever been on. A twelve seater plane, the sides were literally windows and we went over a mountain range. Stunning.

Pai is a bit backpackery - I ended up in one bar where everyone was literally sitting around campfires, and one girl turned to me and said she was "really finding out who she was here". I asked if this place was called Bar Cliche but nobody got it and I left before I started punching people in the face.

We rented motorbikes (they said I should take an automatic scooter because of the steep roads; I ignored this advice as I am An Expert Driver Of Asian Motorbikes and got a manual, and later stalled it on the side of a mountain before reversing into a traffic cone and falling off. Swallow your pride, goons) and went up to the highest point in Thailand and it was, well, awesome. And not much impresses me anymore.

Some nice waterfalls, canyons and bridges as well, although I got told off for lighting a cigarette in an outside bar. Wtf, Thailand? Also I drove up to a red light, checked there was no traffic and just shot through, before remembering I'm not in Cambodia and the bribe is probably a bit higher than $1 for that sort of thing. Oh well.

So that was my weeks holiday. Back to Siem Reap tomorrow where I actually have to start working for a living. Ugh.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

C-Euro posted:

Sin sot tao rai?

Haha, on a serious note, Rosetta stone does have a Thai language option, it's just version 2 only. I tried it once and have never felt more like a dumb foreigner in my life, trying to puzzle out grammar and tones.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

C-Euro posted:

I jumped on the learn Thai bandwagon when I got home from Thailand in January, and have spent a lot of time looking for good sources. Here's a little of what I've come up with:

1) http://www.learnthaionline.com/
This is purely for learning how to read and prounce Thai from text. No grammar, but a little vocabulary. It gives a very thorough introduction to how the alphabet works, about tones, etc. It uses quirky and obscure mnemonics to make you remember, and just by using its trial material and sample videos on YouTube I've learned a shitload.

Start here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RapidLL/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=da - begin with the oldest videos and work through the lesson workshops.

Next, you can get a newsletter daily with a mini-course per day her: http://www.learnthaionline.com/index.php/free-starter-course . Alternatively, here is the first link:

http://learnthaionline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103

Just increase the number at the end of the URL by 1 to skip through the articles. Each course will give you a little knowledge, mostly repeats of what you've seen in the youtube videos.

Next, you can sign up for a trial on the website and get a good intro to a handful of letters, with lots of samples. The full material costs 4000 Baht which I think is a little much, if it were 2000 I'd definitely buy it. It seems really good at making it stick in your head. All in all it seems to be by far the most thorough and best way to learn about reading.

2)
I've tried that ancient copy of Rosetta Thai from the 90's, but I think it's a weird method of learning on its own, with zero talk about the alphabet or grammar. You learn to speak by repeating, not to read or learn on your own. However, the method is a good supplement to above. I've found a more modern version of Rosetta, one could say:

L-Lingo Thai

It's kinda like Rosetta stone, but as said, much more modern and user friendly, notably with better sound quality, and actually some text describing what you are learning. You can also swap bewteen Thai script and phonetic all the time. I've signed up for $10 per month and am going through all their lessons one at a time. I make a strong effort to not just click the right answers, but I read the text (I use Thai script, not phonetic), and say everything out loud. Lots of vocabulary and grammar here.

3)
I've just ordered Thai for Beginners plus the Audio CDs, which I've read is good. We'll see how it turns out.

4) http://www.thai-language.com/
This is an overall good reference and dictionary to use. Its lessons aren't really lessons that teach you much, and its reference materiale is a hodgepodge, but there is some okay stuff in there. Its dictionary however, is golden. Tons and tons of synonyms and related expressions, with pronunciation audio clips.

Supply with an online Thai keyboard for typing in stuff you find and want to look up: http://english-thai-dictionary.com/index.php?action=thaikeyboard

5)
Other options:
- Pimsleur language. Haven't tried it yet, but again, listening won't teach you how to read.
- Pickup Thai, a little collection of YouTube videos with some basic conversational material: http://www.youtube.com/user/pickupthai/videos?flow=grid&view=0
- Thai podcast, more youtube series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4BE2AFAEBA3A57BF

Maybe in some time, depending on how successful I end up being at it, I'll make a thread about it. I'm going to Thailand again this summer and am looking forward to impressing with my sabaidee-mai? :D

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

So that was my weeks holiday. Back to Siem Reap tomorrow where I actually have to start working for a living. Ugh.
Easter bunny hat shop? Don't leave us hanging here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On the language lessons, plenty of learn-by-skype people out there now too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I thought all the learn by skype people just want to learn English and generally wheedle you into doing that more than vice-versa.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Oracle posted:

I thought all the learn by skype people just want to learn English and generally wheedle you into doing that more than vice-versa.
Shhh I am trying to help out the developing world here man!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Shhh I am trying to help out the developing world here man!

Mai bpen rai!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh, my god. Garrett's Popcorn has come to Hong Kong y'all. Go get some. (Also Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

That's like 2 years ago :smug:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just happened a month or so back here. There's a law that when a new interrrrr brand moves into Bangkok, thousands of Thai people have to line up to try it (usually at Siam Paragon). It was no different this time. As if this country needed any more hosed up sweet popcorn. What we need is anyone who can make Goddamn normal popcorn!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Just happened a month or so back here. There's a law that when a new interrrrr brand moves into Bangkok, thousands of Thai people have to line up to try it (usually at Siam Paragon). It was no different this time. As if this country needed any more hosed up sweet popcorn. What we need is anyone who can make Goddamn normal popcorn!

Burger
Steak
Burrito
Grilled lamb

Belt buckles

uh...

The barbecues are the wrong shape

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Garrett's has normal butter and plain popcorn too man! Also cheesy. Caramel crisp is the only sweet popcorn they got.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm sure the Bangkok Branch stocks caramel crisp and then a bunch of cans of condensed milk. Maybe some fish sauce.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Basement at Siam Paragon. There's a shock.

The Thailand one has several flavors listed. Plain (which will be sweet somehow), cheese, butter and then four different caramel ones. Blech. I suppose we'll all just have to wait for the inevitable tom yum flavor popcorn.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gai yang corn.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I was expecting hot pepper or curry of some kind. Maybe Garrett's is just purist.

All the four different caramel ones are the exact same just with different nuts thrown in. Pity they don't have pecan. Looks like they subbed it with macadamia.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ccpigGh6s

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Jesus Christ. What a loving moron. If only he could've hit a stationary object.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Jesus Christ. What a loving moron. If only he could've hit a stationary object.

Add it your your anti-Vietnam arsenal

The NYC thread was having pizza chat and I dropped the Dancing Shrimp Pizza Bomb on them but our thread antichrist then said that Papa Johns was pretty good so now no one cares.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Vietnam :argh:

DO NOT WANT

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Vietnam :argh:

DO NOT WANT

SHUT UP

That video brings back so many memories... well up to the stupid collision. I loved driving on these country roads. gently caress this winter, I need to go baaaack.

If all goes well, I will be moving to Hong Kong for work in a few months. First thing I do when I get there is plan trip to Saigon.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Add it your your anti-Vietnam arsenal

The NYC thread was having pizza chat and I dropped the Dancing Shrimp Pizza Bomb on them but our thread antichrist then said that Papa Johns was pretty good so now no one cares.

Dancing Shrimp Pizza?

*google*

Oh okay, at the least the shrimps are dead, unlike its namesake.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Hey Banggoons, I'll be at Khao San tonight with some friends of mine. If you want to hang out with a large group of farang girls (some of them easy) drop a line.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chair Huxtable posted:

Hey Banggoons, I'll be at Khao San tonight with some friends of mine. If you want to hang out with a large group of farang girls (some of them easy) drop a line.

:suicide: You guys have fun!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

caberham posted:

:suicide: You guys have fun!

There's still enough time to get on a plane!

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Barfolemew posted:

Well im here! At hotel lounge fixing horrible jetlag. Free beer, i might not make it outside today.

Flight sucked, zero sleep and the plane was lovely old airbus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
So Phi Phi really is just beaches and bars, right? Not sure how long I should stay here considering I'm not really into partying. Everyone I have spoken to has given me different recommendations though... apparently Koh Lanta is less developed, can any of you guys confirm that impression? I think what I'd like ideally is somewhere with good-value accommodation and a distinct lack of drunken 18-year-olds.

PS shoutout to Ringo R who met up with me in BKK last weekend and was kind enough to show me around an insane market filled with classic cars and bizarre antiques. Looking forward to a proper ~*~*goon meet*~*~ when I get back to the city!