Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

...! posted:

Senator Manchild

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sniep posted:

so does anyone have any idea out of the bit block chain or whatever how much estimated real money was paid in and got paid out of mtg ox?

at the moment, no, but it seems possible at this point that the theft was internal and the transaction malleability was just a convenient excuse.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

annnd we've now fast forwarded bitcoin into finally putting on it's big boy pants and advancing to full-blown crony capitalism :getin:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

fool_of_sound posted:

great now im dead

same:ghost:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where're the outraged posts about the snitching!

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

whoa, bitcoiners will eat their own all the way to the top (of their centralized authority commission, natch)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so i guess GOX XTREME with lemon won't be coming out then

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Install Windows posted:

i had a TV built the year the book came out

big loving surprise there

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
[–]cryptofrog1 2 points 3 hours ago

Senator Johnson-

I am writing to you out of concern regarding Senator Manchin's recent call for a US ban on Bitcoin. In my opinion his call is ill-informed and ill-considered. Bitcoin is a revolutionary new technology, and like other revolutionary technologies can be used for good or ill. Although illicit use is a larger percentage of the US dollar economy than of the bitcoin economy, and cash transactions are more anonymous than bitcoin transactions (bitcoin exchanges follow KYC/AML guidelines and keep track of their customer bitcoin addresses), I doubt Senator Manchin would propose banning cash. Although investment in commodities can be risky to the investor, I doubt Senator Manchin would propose banning private ownership of gold. Technology leadership is an important contributor to America's worldwide economic position, and it would be a shame to lose by default. If you'd like more information, I recommend you contact the Bitcoin Foundation, or you are welcome to contact me directly.

Please draft sensible, thoughtful regulations regarding bitcoin if you must, but don't let it be driven by sensationalist news accounts.

Yours Truly,

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

...! posted:

Although illicit use is a larger percentage of the US dollar economy than of the bitcoin economy

uhhh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
There's a lot of illiteration in that first paragraph

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

this is what bitcoiners actually believe!?!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Id imagine this letter campaign would work better if they were sending physical letters. Too bad stamps are a kind of fiat.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

im just so tickled that they think namecalling and being illogical pricks will make the senator stand up and say "wait maybe these guys are onto something because theyre not afraid of speaking their minds!!"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

did anyone say cosbycoin yet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dear Senator YOU THINK YOU CAN TOUCH MY BITCOINS DONT TOUCH MY BITCOINS ILL KILL YOU WITH MY GUNS

Sincerely,

your constituent

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

transfatphobic posted:

im just so tickled that they think namecalling and being illogical pricks will make the senator stand up and say "wait maybe these guys are onto something because theyre not afraid of speaking their minds!!"

bitcoiners will tip senators and congressfolk spare change whenever there's an AMA on reddit on the theory that, um, idk actually how it's supposed to work but the end result is that that lawmaker is converted to The Cause™

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I just noticed that bitcoinity has a graph for localbitcoins. How does that even work? I thought localbutts didn't really broker things and just had a craigslist-like way for people to meet up in person to exchange butts for a briefcase full of drugs like they do in the movies.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

bitcoiners will tip senators and congressfolk spare change whenever there's an AMA on reddit on the theory that, um, idk actually how it's supposed to work but the end result is that that lawmaker is converted to The Cause™

bitcoin is literally an infectious illness

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

transfatphobic posted:

this is what bitcoiners actually believe!?!

some of them say that credit card fees are 20% for the merchant and that the rate of inflation in the us is 30% yearly. it's safe to say that they know nothing about anything

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i wonder how many of the angry letters to the senator about banning bitcoins are going to also include something about how the whole government is actually illegitimate. 25%? 50?

signed,

::ol qwerty:flesh-and-blood-man:of the clan bastard::

...!
Oct 5, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

As Requested, I’m Ben Lawsky, Superintendent of the NY Dept of Financial Services, Here for an AMA on Bitcoin/Virtual Currency (self.IAmA)

submitted 6 days ago* by BenLawsky

And to those who tipped me Bitcoin, I doubt I'm allowed to accept but appreciate the thought!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

What do you do with bitcoin trolls? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 days ago* by Jerkmaster

Here is the deal.

I don't really own any bitcoins (I did use trybtc.com) I got into cryptocurrency because I thought dogecoin was fun and a mined some, purchased some and basically just sit on them now to see what happens.

My my posts on facebook were met with fierce opposition. Here is some of poo poo I have been arguing against.

Bitcoin users are all Ron Paul loving libertarians who have fedoras and neckbeards.
Most bitcoin fanatics are misogynistic (Stuff like this: https://twitter.com/bitcoin_txt/status/413448785419714564 sure makes it hard to argue this point)
Bitcoin is a scam, pyramid scheme, a ponzi scheme, etc.
Bitcoin is very unstable.
Bitcoins value is derived and backed by nothing.
Most people using bitcoin are criminals buying/selling drugs or just trying to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.
Mining is a huge environmental waste of resources.

Here are some choice quotes from arguments I have been in recently:

"I've explained my reasoning before. Some dude writes a program that effectively generates random numbers on a limited basis. he convinced a bunch of other people that those random numbers have value, and now he's a billionaire. I'm not sure how you can call it anything BUT a scam."

"It's just FOREX trade all over again. Except there's no country with an actual currency involved. Instead, it's all monopoly money that a guy owns a huge share of that people are engaging in currency speculation with. That's why people mainly talk about mining and are obsessed with exchanges and transactions and the like. All of the "actually using it as a currency to pay for things" is just some post hoc justification that a bunch of Fedoratarians are telling themselves is why their engagement in currency speculation is actually a noble effort to fight some sort of The Man or other."

" the creator of bitcoin engineered a system in which he had the OVERWHELMING ADVANTAGE in generating this new imaginary random number currency. When he started, his random number were worth nothing. He literally convinced people that his strings of random numbers had real-money value. That, in itself, is a scam. But more people kept joining the collective delusion that these strings of random numbers had value, so the value went up. Now, since he was in from the start, his scam has made him ONE BILLION DOLLARS. From doing nothing more than writing a program that generates random numbers."

"The only reason bitcoin has value is because the collective delusion persists."

" There is no backing for bitcoin. There is merely the mathematical structure that says they're unique and verifiable, etc. That makes for a convenient method of currency transfer, but that doesn't make them valuable in and of themselves. It's more like a debit card. We could have a system where debit cards functioned off bitcoins, but in the end it's just a proxy for money. Nobody wants the bitcoins, or they wouldn't give two shits about the exchanges. They want the real money equivalent of whatever the exchange price is. That's why they say things like "invest in bitcoins", as if it were gold, or pork bellies, or WTF ever. But to make it valuable they need to convince other people it has utility, and then some people get caught up in that part of the scam the way people get caught up in Jonestown or Heaven's Gate or whatever. It's just a more grognard attempt at the same thing as Flooz or Beenz"

"Bitcoin is not a currency. It's effectively a stock share for a company that doesn't exist. The major shareholder has an obvious vested interest in convincing people the stock is valuable, as do any other major holders. This is why it can fluctuate wildly. If someone tried to buy poo poo at walmart using fractional google shares, we'd say they were crazy. But that's exactly what people are trying to do with bitcoin."

"It's a "currency" sure. But it's not a "real" currency if it's only used by a few dozen thousand internet weirdoes. It may progress past the novelty stage at some point, but for now it's just cyber beanie babies for self diagnosed asperger's syndrome cases."

This is what I am defending against-- and I am doing my best. Sure, I can link the bitcoin wiki, the only owned and controlled by MtGox...Its really difficult to present that as evidence. Worse yet are some of the people on reddit who's only mission is to poo poo on bitcoin or cryptocurrency in general. Have a look at some of these user accounts:

http://www.reddit.com/user/bullco

http://www.reddit.com/user/killhamster

http://www.reddit.com/user/hey_there_delilah

Just a couple I found this morning while reading the Ben Lawsky AMA.

I feel like bitcoin has a bit of a PR problem, and of course this is going to happen with anything thats popular- but I really feel like if any of this can be mitigated, we should and sometimes that really hard when twitter accounts like bitcoin.txt make us look like misogynist assholes.

[–]michaelhorton 1 point 6 days ago

I have nothing constructive to add, but the frequent comment of "bitcoin = scam" is driving me nuts. I can't understand why people are so passionately against bitcoin. It feels like an xbox vs. playstation debate.

[–]telepatheic 3 points 6 days ago

Bitcoin is very unstable.

That is correct if you compare it to most currencies. Most currencies have inflation or deflation of about 1-10% per year. Bitcoin has had typical inflation and deflation of 1-10% per day.

"The only reason bitcoin has value is because the collective delusion persists."

Correct, collective delusion is what gives diamonds, gold, paper money and bitcoin value. They are not backed by anything at all except the fact that other people believe they have value. If everyone else on the planet was killed off, diamonds, gold, paper money and bitcoin would have no value to me whatsoever.

Mining is a huge environmental waste of resources.

This is true however so is football. Lot's of things waste resources but they do this because they give us something of value which bitcoin does.

[–]yoloboi9000 1 point 6 days ago

meh who cares what pretentious hipster liberals think anyways?

[–]AnalWithAGoat 1 point 6 days ago

Tell them about these facts:

Private money has always been a thing. Only recently central banks took over and brainwashed everyone into believing they are the only ones with the divine right of printing money. They also created laws against that because they know people in their right minds would never choose government money over private money.
Money and wealth are two different things. The value of money is given by the people. To say "you can't create money, you have to work for it" makes no sense. Anyone can create money. What's hard to create is wealth. Money can be used to trade and store wealth.
Bitcoin's creator solved a really hard problem of the Cryptography science (the exact science of encoding messages): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Generals%27_Problem . This started a revolution because distributed autonomous organizations are now possible. Bitcoin is the first DAO, and the first decentralized digital currency, that's what makes it special.

But this is only useful to educate normal people that are temporarily ignorant or brainwashed. Don't bother arguing with trolls or morons like bullco.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

killhamster got a shout out

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Circular firing squad is circular

also firing

laff index goes up uP UP

...!
Oct 5, 2003

coɴsτ∀ɴτιɴε ‏@kkoolook

#MtGox=Service #Bitcoin=Protocol. If Gmail closed would email be dead? No because Gmail is a service & email is a protocol. via @Henry_Young

[–]Ryanmos 3 points 9 hours ago

Thank you for this, I'm going to use this on everyone freaking out this week

[–]Lokonopa 7 points 12 hours ago

If PayPal shut down, would USD be dead?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

i think that might actually be illegal

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

i died. i'm dead

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
update on that twobit idiot gox story: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1z2aht/twobit_idiot_the_mt_gox_europe_business_plan/

with some bedside reading:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/209535200/Business-Plan-MtGox-2014-2017

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

i'm the use of acronyms without any explanation as to what they mean

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol, that whole page is great

...!
Oct 5, 2003

oh lord, they started spamming manchin's facebook page as well

Connect WV How about you send a letter to the Federal Reserve and tell them to stop printing money out of thin air. The only reason you are against Bitcoin is because the US Government has no control over it.

David Adam Coffey WHAT! You and your office have ZERO technological understanding of bitcoin, either as a cryptocurrency protocol or as a financial instrument. You are simply trying to grab onto the limelight of the Gox implosion. You will fail at this, just like you failed West Virginians by fighting a war on the EPA instead of the polluting industries that poison the constituents of your state.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths

Shane Alan Durham Unregulated and unstable? Sounds like the Federal Reserve to me.

John Holstein ban it? lol. the people that buy and use bitcoin don't give a crap about any government ban. lol. it's not of your world and you'll never be able to control it. it or something similar to it, will be there forever and there's not a government in the world that can change that.

Ralph Peña Respectfully, you picked the wrong fight, Senator. How about sponsoring a return to Glass/Steagall for a start?

Dale Thompson Maybe you should send a letter about regulating the Federal Reserve which no more Federal then Federal Express. Or do you support printing $80billion/mo in "QE" creating money out of thin air devaluing our currency?

Frederico Miranda Brandão Alves I'm so glad the politicians are shaking their boots in fear. Your bans just prove that Bitcoin is serious business!

Politicians are going down! Hurray! Your criminal friends on Wall Street can keep all your worthless dollars! Long live Bitcoin!

Matthew Deren wow. please learn your technology. would your tune change if I offered 100BTC to your campaign funds? probably. please stop sounding like a drama-mongering republican. work on stopping criminal activity, and not the benign technology that is IMPROVING the lives of the little people.

Patrick Cavill wow I see a few dickheads are agreeing with this prick. If you don't like bitcoin and you're not interested in crypto currencies, then how about you just mind your own business?

Pete Smith Bitcoin is protected by free speech. It's a digital ledger book containing accounting information about everybody who holds it. You can't ban Bitcoin lawfully, you can certainly pass laws restricting illicit uses but those laws already exist...

You don't think people are so gullible that they won't see the hypocrisy of what you're advocating..? You should spend more time understanding the will of your constituents.

Ron Crouch If you don't like it, then don't buy any, Joe.

Pete Smith Freedom will die to the sound of applause... Anybody who thinks this is a good direction should take the time to learn about Bitcoin; those who hold at least a high school degree will understand that Bitcoin is more than what it seemed on the cover. It's not like anything in the world before. It's worth learning about because it will change the world in more than just the financial sector.

If you think it's a negative thing, for a moment just try to set aside your opinion. Do some research on what it actually is before you judge it on what you think it "must be..."

It's more than a currency, it's more than a trading platform, it's a distributed virtual representation of ownership; it's the equivalent to the financial industry of what the Internet was to the world thirty years ago.

John Shoemaker HOW DID YOU GET ELECTED??? OMG

...!
Oct 5, 2003

There ought to be a law (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by LiMoTaLe

It took me a while to digest the senator's words, but I finally arrived at what I find most disturbing. . . and it has nothing to do specifically with my beloved Bitcoin - It's the more general inclination to ban a benign medium out of the fear of its use in potential illegal activity in place of the illegal activity itself. I immediatly thought of MaidSafe.

No one should stand for this. How did we get here? We need permission to perform electronic transactions related to a benign sequence of characters.

At best, it's lazy. At worst, oppressive.

I know it's probably self evident to most folks here..but the more I think about it, the more foreign this concept seems. Moreso than ever.

Obviously his true motives might diverge from his words...I have no way of knowing.

[–]digimonlove 1 point 1 hour ago

Criminalizing child porn is just banning very long numbers that happen to encode certain images.

[–]kwanijml 2 points 33 minutes ago

As disgusting as the whole thing is; you seem illogically attached to the idea of caging people who merely view the images (or unintentionally download or are spammed with images) rather than seeking justice and restitution for the children who were actually forced, harmed, manipulated, and violated into doing the bidding of the heinous people who actually create the stuff.

We need not criminalize the existence of disagreeable content; but rather, double-down on efforts to actually free and protect children from abusive situations.

Your thinking on this is as muddled as those who try to ban guns, or alcohol, or drugs. The thinking (which has been proven false by all sound economic theory, and loads of historical evidence) suggests that we merely end up caging a lot of rather harmless or hapless individuals; just so that we can feel warm and fuzzy. . . as if we've "deterred" crime. All the while our "justice" systems completely neglect restitution of victims; the masses just want to see blood, apparently. That's why they're so infatuated with criminal prosecution, and have little interest in civil suits and common (or common sense) law and justice.

So take your fallacies somewhere else, like /r/politics where logic and scientific rigor have been banned. No need to ban anything other than actual violence, theft, or fraud against human beings.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

bitcoiner blatantly says that possessing child porn shouldn't be a crime

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

...! posted:

bitcoiner blatantly says that possessing child porn shouldn't be a crime

bitcoiner is a pedophile?! what a surprise

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Sham bam bamina! posted:

butts go in

dollars come out

this is a sustainable business model because

do you have any evidence of bitpay not paying merchants and/or customers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quote:

These days it seems like everyone is talking about Bitcoin the digital currency that is revolutionizing the way people think about money, trade and transparency. Mt. Gox offers a secure and reliable multi-currency exchange so you can trade with the entire world in your local currency. Now isn't that something worth talking about?

• Locked thread