Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

that is loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emptyquoter
Feb 26, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
a quicker one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

transfatphobic posted:

a quicker one

What happened to MF Doom?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

daily show clip:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/stewart-if-bitcoin-wants-to-avoid-feds-they-should-normalize-fraud-like-the-big-boys/

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

no video showed up, but i got to read an editorial about it!

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Alan Smithee posted:

What happened to MF Doom?

i wonder what kind of cool conversations they're having amongst themselves or did they pack up and go home because mtgox sure did lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

"magic the tiny gathering" lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

no video showed up, but i got to read an editorial about it!

worksforme on ipad, maybe change your useragent or something

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

oval office AND PASTE posted:

i wonder what kind of cool conversations they're having amongst themselves or did they pack up and go home because mtgox sure did lol

<madatgox> sure is cold out
<okglass> yeah
<MFDOOM> loving MTGOX IW ANT MY BTC
<okglass> you dont have to shout were right next to you

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i'm dying

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

it is so hilariously surreal to see this stupid poo poo we knew was stupid over two years ago hitting the mainstream this hard and everyone makes fun of how stupid it is

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

If i knew how to gif i would gif his reaction to mt gox going from a magic the gathering exchange to a bitcoin exchange.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

UberJumper posted:

If i knew how to gif i would gif his reaction to mt gox going from a magic the gathering exchange to a bitcoin exchange.

gooncam

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
here's another funny thing http://antonopoulos.com/2014/02/25/coinbase-review/

this was his "security audit" at coinbase

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

the "this is actually good news" team is out in force on the whole daily show thing

[–]jratcliff63367 2 points 10 minutes ago

I thought it was good for bitcoin. He showed the contrast between the real criminals, the international banking cartel, with the growing pains of bitcoin trying to even make a dent in the world economy.

He really mostly just ridiculed MtGox which, quite frankly, is an easy target.

The more people treat bitcoin like a joke and non-threat the better. Much better than the "bitcoin is going to destroy the world" hyperbole of late.

[–]azium 2 points 22 minutes ago

It was really funny! And I thought he drew a great picture how it doesn't matter what currency it is, fraudsters will always exist, and the fiat ones are especially notorious and get away with their crimes. Bravo, I say!

[–]JaykieJake 6 points 1 hour ago

Here's how I read it:

he declares Mt. Gox to be a fraud. he then compares it to institutionized and "regulated" exchanges He shows that once institutionalized, banks are above regulation I find this to be a very positive message to keep bitcoin with minimal regulation, because regulation does not work.

[–]ccardinals5 1 point 1 hour ago

Although the bitcoin bashing and mockery was awful. He tried to make it look like a joke. At least he ended on a decent note: "Baby steps bitcoin." Publicity is good though.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

LITERALLY NOTHING CAN BE BAD FOR BITCOIN

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tbh they're pretty much right in this case, except that it wasn't "good news for bitcoin," it just shat on bitcoin and banks equally

...!
Oct 5, 2003

A Discussion on How to Salvage MtGox Customer Account Holdings (imgur.com)

submitted 3 hours ago by coastermonger

[–]coastermonger[S] 14 points 2 hours ago*

The loss of the MtGox exchange may indeed be a necessary evolutionary step in bitcoin's growth cycle. However, to argue that it's account holders must necessarily bear the full cost of it's failure is cynical, and has no place in this discussion.

There are likely to be over a million individuals interested in recovering their account holdings from this now defunct exchange. Despite the reality of insolvency, it may still be possible to honor those debts. The process would be slow, and yet ultimately feasible. It may involve reviving the exchange itself, or forming a new one entirely in which previous MtGox customers already hold funds (which are gradually freed up to withdraw.)

If you have an interest in such a proposal, this is your time to move. It would require MtGox to turn over audit-able records of what it's account holders should own to another management party. Once this is established, the exchange undergoes a re-vamped improvement to security and transparency. It continues to operate as a not-for-profit entity while using revenue to pay back indebted deposits, and eventually shifts to a for-profit business which is help by investors and the original management board alike.

You might ask, who has an interest in using or helping to run such an exchange? Look around. There are many bitcoiners that would be dedicated to using an exchange if they already had deposits there, and could see those funds freed up. If individuals know that their activity and use of the exchange is helping every affected MtGox customer be made whole, then where there's a will there's a way.

[–]coastermonger[S] 6 points 50 minutes ago

It wouldn't be MtGox, they would be out of the picture. This would be a new management group voted in by crowd-sourcing. This idea basically lets all the depositors from the defunct exchange band together and form their own new exchange

[–]alp1234567 4 points 1 hour ago*

What about one of these prominent bitcoin faces, a friend of Karpeles, like Roger Ver, or Erik V? It could really magnify their positive image and be profitable to them if they put up the upfront cash and take their share in revenue. I'm sure there are plenty of bitcoin millionaires out there that could take this on if they wanted.

[–]carloschimbo 1 point 2 hours ago

Tl;Dr

1) run a bitcoin exchange with mission of refunding the goxxed

2) refund btcs to the goxxed

3) ????

4) profit

[–]xtraeme 3 points 2 hours ago

3) save the Bitcoin economy

4) profit

FTFY

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

UberJumper posted:

gifcam

...!
Oct 5, 2003

What happened to slashdot (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by bitappend

It seems to be filled with yuppie hipsters and avoids very important tech stories. The comment section really brings out the lack of understanding in its user base when an article about bitcoin gets posted. Am I just imagining this? Its so weird I used to be a huge Slashdot fan and only started using Reddit recently(and very reluctantly). After visiting the same site every morning for over 14+ years it does feel strange to say that I don't think they report very well on tech news or stuff that matters.

Not trolling just feeling a little bummed.

[–]diskiller 5 points 1 hour ago

I agree dude. I have a 4 digit slashdot uid, been there from the start... and yeah, the site has gone to poo poo, the comments have gotten even worse, I can't stand the place anymore. :(

In fact as of 2 weeks ago I stopped loading slashdot.. and this is after reading it religiously for 10 + years and never missing a single posted story.

The bitcoin hate on there is just... wow. I don't understand it.

[–]specialenmity 4 points 2 hours ago

I think they have hated on bitcoin for years. I guess they are all armchair economists over there who think for whatever reason bitcoin is doomed to fail. The cool thing though is that you don't need to argue with anyone about it...... time will show who is right.

[–]xygo 1 point 1 hour ago

I seem to recall they get a lot of funding from Apple. Could explain it maybe.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

then run it through photoshop to reduce colors and fine-tune frames (is cs2 still free? [yes it is still literally free¹ with a thorway email accoutn which you should have anyway]))

¹

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

i would say close and goldmine this thread but bitcoins has continuously proven itself to be a limitless source of laffs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

then go back in time and buy jasc animation shop 3 and fine tune

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

then go back in time and buy jasc animation shop 3 and fine tune

then realize that you've wasted, like, an hour, and it's all garbage anyway, so shift+del that poo poo and then go smoke a weed and pet a cat

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

double sulk posted:

LITERALLY NOTHING CAN BE BAD FOR BITCOIN

this is nearly true at this point, mostly because the only people left are crazy fanatics who will never be driven away no matter what happens. nothing can be bad because the status quo is loving awful.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

refunding the goxxed

don't post my band name

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

killhamster posted:

here's another funny thing http://antonopoulos.com/2014/02/25/coinbase-review/

this was his "security audit" at coinbase

he signed that poo poo with pgp

thats cryptography man

why you gotta hate a man who knows crypto

...!
Oct 5, 2003

32 page mt. gox class action

http://www.scribd.com/doc/209741761/Greene-v-MtGox-Inc-Mt-Gox-Class-Action

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
so we already did this joke but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mLNaRGemM

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]utuxia 4 points 27 minutes ago

I have no idea how this will turn out in 2-5 years. But I can tell you this, going through the dotcom bubble I missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

duTrieux. posted:

then realize that you've wasted, like, an hour, and it's all garbage anyway, so shift+del that poo poo and then go smoke a weed and pet a cat

this is me and trying to get milkie face to track moving objects frame by frame :geno:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Reading through this now, and it's loving hilarious. Pages and pages of claiming Gox be held liable for millions of dollars because of vague promises of "security" apparently appearing one time on their webpage

also

quote:

If the Court finds Plaintiff’s and the Classes’ contracts with Mt. Gox invalid, non-existent, or otherwise unenforceable, Plaintiff and the Classes may be left without any adequate remedy at law

oh, it also claims Gox just took the coins, not that they were stolen

quote:

As a result of Mt. Gox “going dark” and shutting down its entire operation, users’ Fiat Currency and bitcoins previously stored by Mt. Gox are now unavailable to them, and by all accounts, have been converted and captured by Mt. Gox for its own purposes. On information and belief, Mr. Karpeles, as the sole shareholder of Mt. Gox, personally profited by shutting down Mt. Gox and obtaining users’ Fiat Currency and bitcoins worth millions of dollars. Mr. Karpeles was and is aware of the conduct and security problems underlying the widespread loss of bitcoins, and was and is aware that he and his co-defendants were wrongfully obtaining bitcoins and Fiat Currency by shutting down the Mt. Gox exchange and capturing its users’ property

and this gem, too

quote:

the fees for services that Plaintiff and the Payment Class paid to Mt. Gox were supposed to be used by Mt. Gox, in part, to pay for the administrative costs of bitcoin management and security and to keep the exchange operating

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 28, 2014

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
class action? as in some sort of government law is going to be involved???

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

324: judging by the number of genitalia-related jokes, I'm willing to make a guess as to the source of the attack
324: It was 4chan

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

omg

• Locked thread