Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

cadenza posted:

So Phi Phi really is just beaches and bars, right? Not sure how long I should stay here considering I'm not really into partying. Everyone I have spoken to has given me different recommendations though... apparently Koh Lanta is less developed, can any of you guys confirm that impression? I think what I'd like ideally is somewhere with good-value accommodation and a distinct lack of drunken 18-year-olds.

PS shoutout to Ringo R who met up with me in BKK last weekend and was kind enough to show me around an insane market filled with classic cars and bizarre antiques. Looking forward to a proper ~*~*goon meet*~*~ when I get back to the city!

Kol Lanta has a lot of swedish families. A lot of beach pubs all over the place with fire shows. Outside the two biggest beaches there are some nice places to stay. Its a nice little island, or at least was, my trip was 3 years ago.

My impression of Phi Phi is that its filled with 20 something good looking youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Something a lot of people don't know is that if you go to Sweden in December, the people you meet at the airport and hotel are hired from Eastern Europe to play Swedes for tourists as all the actual Swedes are at Thai beaches.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I'm at the Robin Hood pub having a beer, had to escape the heat for a while. Havent seen the sun for four months and it buuuurns.

Plan is just to relax and have some beers tonight.

And just in time the Asok protest is over, makes my life a littlebit easier.

Pretty much the first thing i saw after arriving was the canadian guy jumping off from the 4th floor at the airport. Landed near the public taxi line.

edit: typos, drat tablet

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 3, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

Something a lot of people don't know is that if you go to Sweden in December, the people you meet at the airport and hotel are hired from Eastern Europe to play Swedes for tourists as all the actual Swedes are at Thai beaches.

Scandy Season :woop:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Guys, we lost Barfolemew: Finnish Man Lays Down in Road so Tour Bus Runs Over Him

Just kidding. Poor guy, what a way to go. Be sure to read last paragraph for outstanding Thai police work.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Thread death count reaches 2

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"He also had 29 THB so the officers kept them for evidence."

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Still here!

Any goons around tue, wed or thu? Still havent gotten around to get a thai sim card but you can reach me via email.

Dont really have any huge plans so im free whenever.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 6, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Ringo R posted:

Guys, we lost Barfolemew: Finnish Man Lays Down in Road so Tour Bus Runs Over Him

Just kidding. Poor guy, what a way to go. Be sure to read last paragraph for outstanding Thai police work.

I can't link it on my phone but there's an article under that about a Japanese tourist committing seppuku underneath that article. What the hell is wrong with Thailand.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

Oh my god, I thought you were making a joke. Oh, man.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I can't link it on my phone but there's an article under that about a Japanese tourist committing seppuku underneath that article. What the hell is wrong with Thailand.
We need Tytan in here to take some heat, as Cambodia has so much of this that they use the word "Deathpat" commonly. It's actually pretty rare here, even though it happens enough that we joke about it a lot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

We need Tytan in here to take some heat, as Cambodia has so much of this that they use the word "Deathpat" commonly. It's actually pretty rare here, even though it happens enough that we joke about it a lot.

Cambodia is totally a more suitable place to kill yourself.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Another Thai language/culture question! I just found out that my girlfriend's maternal grandfather passed away :(, and because I met him once and my GF's mom likes me I want to express my sympathies to them. Obviously I can't drop two grand to fly there and give them flowers, but they Skype a lot so what's a good way to say something like "I'm really sorry for your loss, he's in a better place" etc.?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The police work in that article is great too:

quote:

The police colonel speculated about a possible motive for the suicide. Mr. Kosai was apparently visiting Surat Thani as a tourist. But he could have been pickpocketed and had most of his assets stolen, so he had gone to see the tourist police.

After returning to his hotel room, Mr. Kosai may have become so stressed that he went out to buy clothes and a knife and a bottle of milk. And then he killed himself and died like a Samurai.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Barfolemew posted:

Still here!

Any goons around tue, wed or thu? Still havent gotten around to get a thai sim card but you can reach me via email. antti.satomaa@pp.inet.fi

Dont really have any huge plans so im free whenever.

How about Wednesday? We can start with a sauna and some Lapinkulta and whip each other.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Ringo R posted:

How about Wednesday? We can start with a sauna and some Lapinkulta and whip each other.

Sure.

Im at soi 18 sukhumvit so just give me place and time that is easy to find, i get lost all the time, so somwhere near a bts station would be nice. Alltho i usually still get lost cos i cant find the right exit.

edit: i hate posting with a phone

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gail Wynand posted:

The police work in that article is great too:

Oh god. "And then he killed himself and died like a samurai" is the best thing I've read in a while.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haha. This guy I know met this Thai lady on Koh Samui, and after three days he went back home to Shithole, Germany, and bought a ticket to bring her there for a month. :swoon:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Haha. This guy I know met this Thai lady on Koh Samui, and after three days he went back home to Shithole, Germany, and bought a ticket to bring her there for a month. :swoon:

PICTURES!

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Ringo, i sent you an email, i keep getting weird proxy errors when sending so im not 100% sure if it reached you. Ill be there at 16:00.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://bit.ly/1fXvZJD

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

True love!

Would be cool to see you too so if you dont have anything better to do join me and ringo tomorrow.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
We'll be around Reindeer's hood so we can just go for surprise beer visit after sauna.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

We'll be around Reindeer's hood so we can just go for surprise beer visit after sauna.
I'll bring the knives. I'm busy as poo poo, but I can stop out for one half beer, two half beer if you guys are near Victory Monument. It'll be good to meet up Barf!

:matti:

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I thought SEA had a monopoly on horrible pizzas.... I was wrong.

Pizza Hut Australia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oooh, that's a strong contender.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hello Southeast Asia. It's fourteen degrees in NYC today.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ya but it's so diverse there and there's so much culture and look at the museums and t- hahaha suckers! WARM HERE.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Songkran is coming...

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Honeymoon in Thailand? Advice?

Ideally I'd have some combination of beach/activity/history although perhaps biased towards beach.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

asdf32 posted:

Honeymoon in Thailand? Advice?

Ideally I'd have some combination of beach/activity/history although perhaps biased towards beach.

How many days? And Budget with a capital B? You actually have a bajillion places to choose but gooooooooons are travel snobs junkies.

I would recommend Railay. It's close to the mainland yet a really really nice Island. Amazing rock climbing. James Bond Beach is really clean (it's those private /public hotel ones)

They have 5 star suites. And 3-4 star hotel retreats. I just booked mine online for myself and it was really really hilarious that all rooms have heart shaped towels. So yeah, honey moon place.

You can then take a plane to Bangkok and have fun there. An alternative is just the outlying resort areas off Bangkok like Hua Hin/Pattaya/ etc... It's beachy enough and close to the capital.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Do not go to Pattaya for your honeymoon unless you both like kinky fuckery.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pattaya is practically Mainland China central now, don't go there.

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2013/dec/22/chinese-tourism-changing-the-world

quote:

Pattaya's spectacular ladyboys are another example of something they can't see back home. (On one tour group's itinerary, the Chinese word used to describe them translates as "person-creatures".) After the show, the sequin-bedecked performers in towering headdresses crowd into the lobby to pose for photographs with tourists for an extra charge of 40 baht (80p) a time. "Please inform management if the artists misbehave," says a large sign warning about potential overcharging. But on this occasion it's some of the Chinese men who misbehave by trying to squeeze the ladyboys' breasts during their photo sessions. "They think it's OK because the breasts are not real," says Wu wearily.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

caberham posted:

How many days? And Budget with a capital B? You actually have a bajillion places to choose but gooooooooons are travel snobs junkies.

I would recommend Railay. It's close to the mainland yet a really really nice Island. Amazing rock climbing. James Bond Beach is really clean (it's those private /public hotel ones)

They have 5 star suites. And 3-4 star hotel retreats. I just booked mine online for myself and it was really really hilarious that all rooms have heart shaped towels. So yeah, honey moon place.

You can then take a plane to Bangkok and have fun there. An alternative is just the outlying resort areas off Bangkok like Hua Hin/Pattaya/ etc... It's beachy enough and close to the capital.

What? Pattaya? For a honeymoon?

No, give us your ideal budget and what you want to do. Are you looking for fancy resorts? Elephant riding? Lots of local liquor?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Speaking of Pattaya and ladyboys (and because I think they referenced it in the article), I just remembered that I got to see the Alcazar cabaret show when I was there a few years ago and it loving insane. Second row too, not sure what my GF's dad had to do to get tickets like that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you just stay inside the hotel resort then it really doesn't matter where you stay.

Pattaya and phuket are iffy places for us but for most people it's just a travel destination. Lots of beaches with a "developed" infrastructure.

Sex tourism is more of a western thing. It's all over in east asia and is no big deal.

And bangkok is pretty mainland too. The grand palace and other sights are just filled with tour buses. It's because Thailand allows Chinese to land on arrival.

The corona beach advertisement is a loving myth unless you go to some end of the earth.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Jesus Christ burn season came early this year. Haven't been able to see the end of my street all week. Thinking of moving to Bangkok for a few months since air is cleaner there this time of year, right? Right?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

MothraAttack posted:

Thinking of moving to Bangkok for a few months since air is cleaner there this time of year, right? Right?

There's 100% more grenade shrapnel in the air in Bangkok.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

The corona beach advertisement is a loving myth unless you go to some end of the earth.
It's called Sai Kung Country Park.

Also I hope all countries allow Chinese to land on arrival, otherwise they'll eventually run out of fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodnose posted:

Also I hope all countries allow Chinese to land on arrival, otherwise they'll eventually run out of fuel.

...wouldn't be so bad...