Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Mikake no Nijuusei Chapter 4. The halfway point of the series. The plot maybe thickens a little :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Joshlemagne posted:

Mikake no Nijuusei Chapter 4. The halfway point of the series. The plot maybe thickens a little :iiam:

Oh man! Where could she have gone?? I hope she didn't lose her duplicate forever. Their interactions were really heart-warming. :ohdear:

Three new chapters of Sumire!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Man these new chapters really show that 17 was a prototype, same beats and jokes as in 16.

Oh and here is a good finished manwha I read about a vampire girl. Korean so expect bullying and crying and that sort of stuff
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Orange-Marmalade

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

Oh man! Where could she have gone?? I hope she didn't lose her duplicate forever. Their interactions were really heart-warming. :ohdear:

Three new chapters of Sumire!

Man, Sumire's so great but it's also kind of bittersweet, specially when time skips are worked into the story. Is kind of sad to think about the old man or about what it'll happen to Sumire later :smith:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Well if you look closely there are some pretty big clues in the chapter.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Davincie posted:

Oh and here is a good finished manwha I read about a vampire girl. Korean so expect bullying and crying and that sort of stuff
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Orange-Marmalade

This isn't really surreal or out of step at all, but thanks for linking it :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Here is a nice offering from the author of Blade of the Immortal: Halcyon Lunch.

It's just a simple man-meets-girl-who-can-eat-anything, man-gets-harassed-by-hooligans, girl-devours-some-hooligans-with-chopsticks-and-then-barfs-them-up-again-in-a-jumbled-Junji-Ito-Like-Mess sort of story.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

Here is a nice offering from the author of Blade of the Immortal: Halcyon Lunch.

It's just a simple man-meets-girl-who-can-eat-anything, man-gets-harassed-by-hooligans, girl-devours-some-hooligans-with-chopsticks-and-then-barfs-them-up-again-in-a-jumbled-Junji-Ito-Like-Mess sort of story.

Sounds good, let's do this.

... Oh, good, a "read the translator notes in this dedicated file" warning on the first page.

(after reading)
I have no idea what this even is. I feel scared and confused. These science nerd bikergang delinquents using street fighter moves kinda upset my stomach, i think.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

The human experimentation arc in BotI was long enough, Samura! You need to let it go!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Sakamoto-kun

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Noooooo this is not the series I want to have multi-parters how long will we have to wait :cry:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seki-kun is back!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

:swoon:: Such a romantic gift!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Sorry that took so long.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

:swoon:: Such a romantic gift!

You could say it was...... sweet of him.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

An interesting selection for you folks today!

Oh, My God! -- a manhwa about God and the other deities and saints of the various pantheons of the world in their ordinary lives at the Heaven Corporation. Good if you enjoyed Saint Young Men! It gets more plotty later on, and it's kind of neat seeing the various religious myths get turned into superpowers.

Ms. Hitomi's Infirmary-- Feels a bit like what'd happen if you combined Franken Fran with Centaur's Worries by way of Dowman Seyman. It's a tad fanservicey but nothing too gratuitous.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

An interesting selection for you folks today!

Oh, My God! -- a manhwa about God and the other deities and saints of the various pantheons of the world in their ordinary lives at the Heaven Corporation. Good if you enjoyed Saint Young Men! It gets more plotty later on, and it's kind of neat seeing the various religious myths get turned into superpowers.

Read through this, pretty entertaining and the gods are really funny but the story goes kind of slow. I'd like to see gods from other pantheons joining the fun, Aztecs especially :v:

Also New Truthism

The class rep is the best :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also New Truthism

The class rep is the best :allears:

Ahhh great, it's more of :haw:-the Manga!

W-wait, how did the class rep find a bottle that small?!

EDIT:

I feel that the OP's gotten a bit long in the tooth and I'm wanting to update it a bit. Let's compile a list of "Thread Favorites" to include in the new OP! Something like the "Top Five Most Recommended Surreal Daily Life Mangas" would do nicely.

I can think of probably two that would definitely be on that list -- Seki-Kun and Sumire-16.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 16, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My votes for a top 5:

1: Voynich Hotel
2: Angel Densetsu
3: Sumire 16
4: Midori Days
5: Tonari no Seki-Kun

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

gnome7 posted:

My votes for a top 5:

Mine would be pretty much the same, only replace 2 with Donyatsu and 4 with Centaur's Worries.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I oughta read Midori one of these days. I've watched the anime, but never read the source.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

gnome7 posted:

My votes for a top 5:

Assuming that we're leaving off mangas that have their own spinoff threads (although they should perhaps be linked to) and therefore Hinamatsuri is ineligible, I mostly like this. However, I'd make it unranked and drop Midori for either Centaur's Worries or Girls' Group Number 7. Also cheat Sumire 16 & 17 into one.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you count Angel Densetsu and Midori as slice of live you also have to count Hinamatsuri. Which means Hina should win.
To me slice of live means the lack of main plot. Which means Gun and Stamp feels much more slice of live then Midori no Hibi with it's romance plot.
Also if I try to think of an list I would probably forget about a lot of Manga that I hadn't thought of in a long time.

1. Hinamatsuri
2. Centaur's worries
3. Tonari no Seki
4. Sumire 16
5. Flying Witch

btw. If you like Angel Densetsu and Midori no Hibi you should try Ocha Nigosu.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

For me it's:

• Sumire
  • Seki-Kun
  • Donyatsu
  • Angel Densetsu
  • Ryuushika-Ryuushika

Honorable Mentions

• The surrealer chapters of Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru
  • Hinamatsuri
  • The Wandering of Girls' Group No. 7

EDIT:

quote:

btw. If you like Angel Densetsu and Midori no Hibi you should try Ocha Nigosu.

OH YEAH!! This was totally linked in this thread at one point, I think. That one's great!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2014

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

• Hinamatsuri
  • Seki-kun
  • Sumire
  • Angel Densetsu
  • Donyatsu

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Who cares about lists! There's more cloned girls!

/edit: I'm surprised the rain didn't insta-gib her. That's harsh.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 17, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Who cares about lists! There's more cloned girls!

/edit: I'm surprised the rain didn't insta-gib her. That's harsh.

We actually have a thread just for this awesome manga!

This thread has more children than a mixed Catholic-Mormon family.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

We actually have a thread just for this awesome manga!

This thread has more children than a mixed Catholic-Mormon family.

Seriously, it has spawned so many offshoot threads, I'm just ecstatic! Let's see -- Hinamatsuri, Seki-Kun (anime), Dowman Seyman (died), Assassination Classroom, Ketchup Ninja, Clone Girls...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DrSunshine posted:

Seriously, it has spawned so many offshoot threads, I'm just ecstatic! Let's see -- Hinamatsuri, Seki-Kun (anime), Dowman Seyman (died), Assassination Classroom, Ketchup Ninja, Clone Girls...

Also indirectly lead to the translation of Kumamiko, which was cool. I haven't read enough, but I'll vouch for Seki-kun, Sakamoto desu ga, Angel Densetsu, and Midori Days. I should really get around to Sumire one of these days... perhaps right now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DrSunshine posted:

poo poo I forgot about Ketchup Ninja, that deserves being in a top 5 list. It has its own thread, yeah, but the manga ended, so the thread certainly isn't going to get any more visibility.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New Zai x 10 a few days back.

I wasn't caring for how ribbon girl is showing up in everything, but she was pretty great this chapter.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

For me it's probably
1. Voynich Hotel
2. Sumire 16-sai
3. Ran And the Grey World if that counts. Pretty sure someone mentioned it at least, and if not you should probably check it out.
4. Sakamoto
5. Jitsu wa Watashi etc

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'd definitely say Sakamato should be in the OP. It's pretty great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think that completed things should have priority in any new OP. Any newcomers to the thread will look at the first post and the most recent page(s). Then they could get completed things from the OP and ongoing things from when we post about new chapters.

That or just two separate lists for best completed and best ongoing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Sumire and Midori are the two examples I support to the fullest. They have what I would consider the least marketable or explainable gimmicks I could ever come up with yet somehow turn them into extended, fantastic stories.

I also think I discovered Qualia the Purple here, and even though it pretty far from being a "slice of life" story anymore, I still think it is beyond fantastic and worth the time of anyone.

I don't even know how I would market or describe Qualia. "You might think this is story about a girl who thinks other people are robots is insane, but you. have. NO. IDEA."

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 17, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Since Sumire is coming up again, did the author ever do anything that revealed what was up with the old man?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Since Sumire is coming up again, did the author ever do anything that revealed what was up with the old man?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

What old man? I've never seen an old dude in Sumire before!

Nope! He even makes a note of this in the afterword of Sumire-16, saying that it's better as a mystery.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ryuushika Ryuushika is back!

"I thought this would be fun, but it's sad." :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So if I have things correct, the thread's top 5 picks are, in no particular order:

• Sumire
  • Seki-kun
  • Angel Densetsu
  • Centaur's Worries
  • Midori Days

With Hinamatsuri, being a comic with its own thread, as an unranked sixth.

Is that good?

• Locked thread