Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oops, you guys were joking about it and now it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Here's a very stupid question but I'll be happy if I get an answer. I'm flying with air Asia and would be taking a line cutter with me for diving, basically this What is the likelihood it gets pulled if I try to take it in carry on?

I've found security here terms to be fairly relaxed but don't really want to get it confiscated our have to run back and try and organise checking a bag at the last minute. Winners if anyone's here might have relevant experience.

Obviously there are bigger things to worry about with flying as recent events have shown. Hopefully this is my biggest worry.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Posting which airports that you'll be flying out would help because some just didn't give a gently caress about stuff in my bags while the Siem reap airport staff gave me grief over a nail clipper.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

Oops, you guys were joking about it and now it happened.

Minor tinfoil hat/crazy speculation time here, but...

I heard on the radio this morning that three stolen passports were used on this flight that went missing. That smacks of terrorism to me, which has me wondering if the plane went down because it was hijacked. IF that's the case, what kind of terrorists would be taking a plane that was traveling from KL to Beijing? Muslim extremists related to Xinjiang (or not related to it, but "fighting in solidarity" or whatever other phrase they might use)?

Not sure we'll ever get a satisfactory answer unless they find the black box and it indicates engine trouble rather than any passenger-caused difficulties, but it's something to think about.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But if it was a terrorist plot, wouldn't the terrorist group already claim responsibility?

Just for fun, I'm going to :toxx: myself if it's a hijacking or terrorist plot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CronoGamer posted:

Minor tinfoil hat/crazy speculation time here, but...

I heard on the radio this morning that three stolen passports were used on this flight that went missing. That smacks of terrorism to me, which has me wondering if the plane went down because it was hijacked. IF that's the case, what kind of terrorists would be taking a plane that was traveling from KL to Beijing? Muslim extremists related to Xinjiang (or not related to it, but "fighting in solidarity" or whatever other phrase they might use)?

Not sure we'll ever get a satisfactory answer unless they find the black box and it indicates engine trouble rather than any passenger-caused difficulties, but it's something to think about.

OTOH the plane was probably full of Mainland Chinese who cheat on every exam they can and forge any document they're able to, even when they don't have to. I happened to have a chat with an immigration official here in the US who was basically Mr. Rogers but immediately flew into a tirade about the way Mainlanders act during their investigations once he saw me curl my lip about a recent short stay in Beijing due to China also being unable to run an airport. I'm sure there's also all kinds of gross human trafficking that goes on on that route. There are also rafts of people who have legitimate reasons to conceal themselves from the Chinese government (Tibetan Buddhists, Falung Gong people, etc).
In any case, I'd probably put the cause of "three stolen passports" more toward the usual third world ripples than terrorism, even if the passports were appropriate for three twenty something bearded males.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

caberham posted:

But if it was a terrorist plot, wouldn't the terrorist group already claim responsibility?

Just for fun, I'm going to :toxx: myself if it's a hijacking or terrorist plot.

Well, not necessarily, right? I mean if they had intended to do something bigger with them, not just crash the plane but either a negotiation or a specifically directed crash, maybe they wouldn't want to claim responsibility in the hopes of giving it another shot in the future. I don't know, this is fully admitted speculation and just tossing ideas out there, but it crossed my mind.

Sheep-Goats posted:

OTOH the plane was probably full of Mainland Chinese who cheat on every exam they can and forge any document they're able to, even when they don't have to. I happened to have a chat with an immigration official here in the US who was basically Mr. Rogers but immediately flew into a tirade about the way Mainlanders act during their investigations once he saw me curl my lip about a recent short stay in Beijing due to China also being unable to run an airport. I'm sure there's also all kinds of gross human trafficking that goes on on that route. There are also rafts of people who have legitimate reasons to conceal themselves from the Chinese government (Tibetan Buddhists, Falung Gong people, etc).
In any case, I'd probably put the cause of "three stolen passports" more toward the usual third world ripples than terrorism, even if the passports were appropriate for three twenty something bearded males.

That point about the trafficking is actually an excellent point, and I really don't know how frequently passports are stolen/used, so it's fair to say any range of things could have happened. I think I've just been really interested in the Xinjiang terrorist/"separatist" trend lately, and wondering if we're going to see more of a homegrown terrorist movement growing in China as a result. Since the Tiananmen square care incident back in October, I think I've seen at least one attack every 6 weeks or so. Makes you wonder. But I'm definitely not a China expert.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Tomato Soup posted:

Posting which airports that you'll be flying out would help because some just didn't give a gently caress about stuff in my bags while the Siem reap airport staff gave me grief over a nail clipper.

Flying out of KL LCCT to Kota Bharu. KL side I know they don't give much of a gently caress, at least regarding liquids any way.

Also how long do you reckon before the Chinese government starts demanding apologies for the handling of the incident?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MrNemo posted:

Flying out of KL LCCT to Kota Bharu. KL side I know they don't give much of a gently caress, at least regarding liquids any way.

Also how long do you reckon before the Chinese government starts demanding apologies for the handling of the incident?

I'm surprised they didn't immediately asked for it. Losing radio contact completely is really weird and unheard of at this time and age.

Domestic flights are usually more relaxed. They put your bag through a scanner but I don't know a line cutter well enough to think it may get picked up in the monitors. If it's the other way round (from kb) they don't give a single poo poo. From what I know Airasia is way more concerned about your bags being overweight (so they can charge you) than anything else.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah echoing the human trafficking point. Singapore is a lucrative place for work. Hong Kong airport transfer terminal is used as a spring board to Europe and West Coast America. Thailand is also part of the sex worker circuit. Workers travel to Hong Kong, go to Malaysia, Thailand, and maybe Singapore on tourist visas.

Sheep-Goats posted:

OTOH the plane was probably full of Mainland Chinese who cheat on every exam they can and forge any document they're able to, even when they don't have to.

China is still a developing country and has a lot of problems, but seriously?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Don't make me break character bro

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

caberham posted:

How many days? And Budget with a capital B? You actually have a bajillion places to choose but gooooooooons are travel snobs junkies.

I would recommend Railay. It's close to the mainland yet a really really nice Island. Amazing rock climbing. James Bond Beach is really clean (it's those private /public hotel ones)

They have 5 star suites. And 3-4 star hotel retreats. I just booked mine online for myself and it was really really hilarious that all rooms have heart shaped towels. So yeah, honey moon place.

You can then take a plane to Bangkok and have fun there. An alternative is just the outlying resort areas off Bangkok like Hua Hin/Pattaya/ etc... It's beachy enough and close to the capital.

Thanks for this and other responses.

Well it's gona take about $4k to get there so another $4k over 10 days would be a rough budget. So ~$400/day.

So we'll be going the first two weeks in July. I just came to the realization that this is low season correct? So what's the weather and general environment like in the low season? Should I be happy that the prices are lower or is there a good reason it's low season?

So what you suggest is roughly my overall idea. To get to Railay we should fly to phuket? Then take a domestic to Bankok and fly out from there? How are the domestic flights?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
It's low season mostly because it rains a lot. Prices do drop a little. That said, there's a good chance you'll just have afternoon showers that cool things down a bit and vanish as quickly as they came. There's a remote chance that it'll just pour nonstop for days on end, but most likely the former.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Stumbled my way into Cambodia and just arrived in Siem Reap. Holy poo poo its hot.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Barfolemew posted:

Stumbled my way into Cambodia and just arrived in Siem Reap. Holy poo poo its hot.

You get used to it. Goonmeet? I'm only up to 2 so far :(

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

duckmaster posted:

You get used to it. Goonmeet? I'm only up to 2 so far :(

Sure!

Where are you at?

Rough day tomorrow so we just chill at the hotel tonight (dyna boutique)

Plan is to spend a few days here (angor wat tomorrow) and then head to Shinaukville (two or so days there and then to koh rong) That is as far as we planned, total we have about three weeks and end Cambodia trip to Phnom Penh.

My number for cambodia is 013 563 212. Havent tested it yet, got it set up at the airport.

Travelling with a friend.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Is anyone still on Koh Tao? Is it miserably busy right now?

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Hello SEApeople,

I'm trying to figure out where to go in early September (1st - 13th) and Hanoi / Vietnam is on the radar. I have a question.

I know September is still rainy but how bad is it? I used the regular historical weather thing (wunderground) and while it says it's rained there every year during those weeks it doesn't say how much (always says 0mm). Will I be caught in a torrential downpour the entire time or is it like, an on-again off-again mild drizzle?

Also a more open question - how do people find travelling solo? If I go it'll be my first time travelling alone (because I have no friends). Or uh, I don't suppose anyone else will be there during that time.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Rynder posted:

Also a more open question - how do people find travelling solo? If I go it'll be my first time travelling alone (because I have no friends). Or uh, I don't suppose anyone else will be there during that time.

Its not for everyone, but if there is one region in the world that is made for it... its SEA! Seriously, there will always be willing solo travelers around to join you, no matter what time of year. I've never done this, but have heard it recommended enough: Just hang around hostel lobbies/internet cafes. Plus, when fools start dragging you down, you can just part ways. Best of both worlds, really! Solo is the way to go.

Scratch that "not for everyone" business. That applies more to places that aren't packed to the teeth with backpackers like the US and Europe.

edit: The first time I went to SEA, it was with a really good friend of mine. Love the guy to death and had a great time, but spent way more than I wanted on rooms, because this guy always wanted loving aircon. When it came to food I eventually had to ditch him all the time because I was getting tired of over-priced red/green curry made for white people and lovely burgers. Second time was solo, and it felt like I was visiting an entirely different Thailand hahaha

moflika fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 10, 2014

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Rynder posted:

Hello SEApeople,

I'm trying to figure out where to go in early September (1st - 13th) and Hanoi / Vietnam is on the radar. I have a question.

I know September is still rainy but how bad is it? I used the regular historical weather thing (wunderground) and while it says it's rained there every year during those weeks it doesn't say how much (always says 0mm). Will I be caught in a torrential downpour the entire time or is it like, an on-again off-again mild drizzle?

I was in the same area at the same time of year (went from Hanoi to Saigon, then onwards) and yeah, it rained hard, but it didn't rain for long. I will admit that the rain did make navigating Hanoi streets on foot overly intimidating--hard enough to walk into traffic and expect it to stop; expecting it to stop when the guy driving that bike has a poncho flapping in his eyes and a cell phone in his hand just pushed my suspension of disbelief a little too far. You get used to it really fast, but for day 1-2 of travel, it's a bit rough.

I did most of my travelling alone, as a woman. I wore a fake engagement ring for a lot of it, though I doubt it made much of a difference. Never really felt unsafe, and if you stay patient and paste a smile on your face, you can manage anything.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Oh :( While I didn't plan on trekking much like I hear a lot of people do (I'll probably stay in Hanoi the whole time, maybe do a toursity Sapa trip) a wall of water is still disheartening. I guess I can put it off until February when apparently it's nicer. I'm guessing the weather is why the flight I found was pretty cheap!

Also thanks for the solo encouragement!

Pixelante, does that mean you did some of your travels alone, as a man?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Rynder posted:

What happens in Thailand stays in Thailand.

It's a wall-of-water, but not for the whole day or anything. And well, you get wet. Whatever. Pack a couple of those plastic-bag ponchos, dance in the rain for an hour, then carry on when it stops.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Oh god I have to do stand up comedy on Wednesday and the only jokes I've got are about rape and pillage.

Give me some hilarious topics to talk about, preferably SEA related. Or if not, about rape and pillage.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Sexpats. Deathpats. ESL teachers. Asian bananas being so much smaller than American bananas. And there's always the bottomless font that is racism.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

asdf32 posted:

Thanks for this and other responses.

Well it's gona take about $4k to get there so another $4k over 10 days would be a rough budget. So ~$400/day.

So we'll be going the first two weeks in July. I just came to the realization that this is low season correct? So what's the weather and general environment like in the low season? Should I be happy that the prices are lower or is there a good reason it's low season?

So what you suggest is roughly my overall idea. To get to Railay we should fly to phuket? Then take a domestic to Bankok and fly out from there? How are the domestic flights?

I was just in Railay, and I can share my experiences, although I was only there for about three days. First off, Railay is tiny. There are a few resorts, eight or ten restaurants independent of the resorts, a couple of convenience stores, and two beaches - Railay West, and Phra Nang, which isn't called Railay South but should be in my mind. Railay East isn't a beach, it's a mudflat. If you're looking for things to do, you're going to run out of them really quick, unless you want to spend a lot of time rock climbing. The cliffs there are great for that, I spent some time on a couple of them. And in the off season, there will probably be fewer other tourists, and it might be that not even all the restaurants are open, I don't know. It was pretty empty even when I was there in January, although that was likely due in part to the protests damping down tourism nationwide.

Second, Railay is beautiful.

This was shot from one of the outcroppings at the southeast end of the peninsula. I've got lots of other pictures if you want to see some of them. Phra Nang is, by some definitions, a near-perfect beach (there are no waves at all, which may be a plus or minus), and the scenery is gorgeous. If you want to just hang out and relax, it's a fine place to do so.

I personally would not want to stay in Railay for ten days. I think three or four would be about right - by that point you'll have eaten at all the restaurants, anyway.

To get there, I flew into Bangkok, then took a local flight from Bangkok to the airport in Krabi, then a bus to Ao Nang, where I got on a longtail boat to get to Railay itself. (In my experience, longtail boat operators are no nicer than your average taxi driver, with the added edge of them knowing that you have to use their services because there are no alternates, which was the one bad thing about the trip).

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Rynder posted:

Oh :( While I didn't plan on trekking much like I hear a lot of people do (I'll probably stay in Hanoi the whole time, maybe do a toursity Sapa trip) a wall of water is still disheartening. I guess I can put it off until February when apparently it's nicer. I'm guessing the weather is why the flight I found was pretty cheap!

Also thanks for the solo encouragement!

The thing about the "wall of water" is that, yeah, it's a torrential downpour, but mostly only for an hour or two in the afternoons. Wake up early, get poo poo done, have lunch, head back to the guesthouse and nap/plan for the evening or next day while it rains, then take off again around 3 or 4. If you adopt the SEA lifestyle it all flows.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Rainy season is definitely a #fwp thing. What CronoGamer said.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Chair Huxtable posted:

Is anyone still on Koh Tao? Is it miserably busy right now?

Unfortunately I'm not there (but I'm counting down - four weeks to go and I'll be there for three weeks). Looking at the Internet it's not crazy busy but it's busy enough. Upcoming half and full moon parties will be stupid busy, as will Songkran.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
What's diving like on Koh Lanta/the Andaman side of things? Aside from pricier than the Gulf.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey SE Asia Megathread! I just got a pretty cheap ticket from Beijing to Singapore and will be rolling into SE Asia early on the morning of April 1st. Have 8 full days after flying into Singapore and am gonna start researching what to do, but figured a few days in Singapore and a few days in Malaysia. I'm not a big city guy and after living in China for four and a half years I'm kinda looking to get away from the crowds and stuff. Was thinking a National Park or two in Malaysia and just relaxing in Singapore. Anyone have any advice about stuff that I would be ~~*CrAZy*~~ to miss? When I went to Europe in 2011 the European travel thread was really helpful so figured I would check here before I started planning my trip, though planning is a pretty loose word, I may just show up and see where I end up from there.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Get me on wechat and we can have beers thanks

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

MothraAttack posted:

What's diving like on Koh Lanta/the Andaman side of things? Aside from pricier than the Gulf.

I haven't dived around Koh Lanta but I've done a few day trips out of Khao Lak. The diving is excellent, even if the big stuff (whale sharks, manta rays) aren't around.

It can be a bit tricky with currents but if you can survive diving at Nusa Lembongan in Indonesia then you'll be fine. The biggest problem is dive boats that sink :v:

One thing I'd love to do once I figure my retarded ears out is a live aboard in Burma, from Ranong. Some friends did it a while ago and it completely blew them away.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 11, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kru posted:

Get me on wechat and we can have beers thanks

Are you in Singapore? I'm thinking of only staying there for one night and then heading to Indonesia, would be down to meet up with someone though. Do you get PMs?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rynder posted:

I loved it to death myself when I took my first big solo tour to Thailand in January. I was more into the nightlife, not talking to western backpackers (to put it bluntly, why would I travel all the way over there to do that?), and if there's one place where it's actually awesome to go out alone at night, it's SEA, or at least in Thailand where I was. Women (don't know if you are) will of course look for a different experience.

I'm generally a person who's content being alone. Not that I'm asocial, but as I like being with good company, I also appreciate being alone with my thoughts now and then. For example, the whole travelling deal (planes, hotel and such) is just nice to deal with alone, during its ups and downs. It's also great to be able to do precisely what you want, when you want. No waiting nor compromising, only you decide. It's tough to explain, but it just gives a completely different feeling to be able to stop and look on the street and absorb impressions, at your own pace, with no one to influence you.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I feel quite the same, though there were a few points where a companion would have motivated me to do more when I got a bit "meh" in the last month. On the whole, travelling alone was great. Sleep when you want to sleep, walk when you want to walk, skip all the temples when you're bored shitless of temples. If I got lonely I could always find an expat or another tourist to speak English with, just about anywhere. I live alone at home, though, so acclimatizing to cultural isolation wasn't as big of a shock for me as it was for people coming from family homes or roommates. I met other travelers who swore by audio books when they were really missing a friendly voice in English, or Skyped every night.

Coming home just about killed me, though. Couldn't tune out the conversations around me because they were all in English. I'd never noticed now much my regional dialect ends almost every sentence on a slight ? lilt, like we're always asking "is this okay? are you listening?" Drove me nuts for a week or so.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

goldboilermark posted:

Are you in Singapore? I'm thinking of only staying there for one night and then heading to Indonesia, would be down to meet up with someone though. Do you get PMs?

Yes and yes

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I've just learned a friend of mine will be in Bangkok from Saturday afternoon until Sunday afternoon for a layover. I'm interested in hearing what people's ideas are for showing someone around the city for less than 24 hours. We are both guys in our early 30s if that makes any difference.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Go to a ping pong show /caberham

Also I flew Malaysian airlines today and it landed where they said it would. I don't think there were any African Iranian guys on board though so maybe I lucked out.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1vcaqAivY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Finch! posted:

One thing I'd love to do once I figure my retarded ears out is a live aboard in Burma, from Ranong. Some friends did it a while ago and it completely blew them away.

Yeah that would be pretty amazing. I expect the Mergui islands to be a top beach spot by the end of the decade. Right now they're still pretty Robinson Cruseo-esque, from my understanding, and the diving is pristine. I think some areas have been marred by dynamite fishing, though.