Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Furious Lobster posted:

C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters comes to mind.

I read this and thought it was great. Lewis does a great job presenting the concept of sin and temptation from the other side, almost giving you the feeling that the conversations between the demons Screwtape and Wormwood could actually be occuring inside your head as well.

It definitely forced me further out of my comfort zone than any other philosophical/religious book has before. Definitely a recommended read!

DreadNite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I like big retrospective anthologies of genre short fiction, such as Modern Classics of Science Fiction and Modern Classics of Fantasy, both edited by Gardner Dozois. I just ordered a copy of The Science Fiction Century and my library has all sorts of interesting sci-fi anthologies like Beyond Afrofuturism, which I'm totally gonna check out, but I want more fantasy. Is there another huge fantasy collection like the Modern Classics book? Not the annual anthologies of current stories, which are everywhere, but collections that go several decades deep, or maybe something like a hypothetical "best fantasy of the 1970s/1980s/1990s/2000s" sort of thing. (I'm already aware of F&SF's various anniversary collections, too, just to make this harder for everybody.) Any suggestions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Time Cowboy posted:

I like big retrospective anthologies of genre short fiction, such as Modern Classics of Science Fiction and Modern Classics of Fantasy, both edited by Gardner Dozois. I just ordered a copy of The Science Fiction Century and my library has all sorts of interesting sci-fi anthologies like Beyond Afrofuturism, which I'm totally gonna check out, but I want more fantasy. Is there another huge fantasy collection like the Modern Classics book? Not the annual anthologies of current stories, which are everywhere, but collections that go several decades deep, or maybe something like a hypothetical "best fantasy of the 1970s/1980s/1990s/2000s" sort of thing. (I'm already aware of F&SF's various anniversary collections, too, just to make this harder for everybody.) Any suggestions?

The long-term collections I recommend to people you've probably already gotten -- The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vols 1, 2a, and 2b, edited by Robert Silverberg. They cover SF before the Hugo Awards.

Tor.com also has a (free?) anthology of the past five year's worth of stories published on the tor.com website, but I'm not sure if it's still available ( here maybe? http://www.tor.com/five-years-of-tordotcom-stories/register ).

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The long-term collections I recommend to people you've probably already gotten -- The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vols 1, 2a, and 2b, edited by Robert Silverberg. They cover SF before the Hugo Awards.

I haven't actually gotten to those yet. Thanks! They sound outstanding, and I'll add them to my to-read list, but I was hoping for more fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Time Cowboy posted:

I haven't actually gotten to those yet. Thanks! They sound outstanding, and I'll add them to my to-read list, but I was hoping for more fantasy.

Hrm, how about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Dozen-Short-Fantasy-Novels/dp/051744500X

Again, older stuff. I read a lot of anthologies when I was younger but I haven't kept up-to-date on the short stuff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm, how about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Dozen-Short-Fantasy-Novels/dp/051744500X

Again, older stuff. I read a lot of anthologies when I was younger but I haven't kept up-to-date on the short stuff.

Not exactly what I'm looking for, but it could be interesting. Thanks!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've done extensive googling before asking this because I didn't want to ask a question I could answer myself, but search engine algorithms can only do so much. Anyways,

I'm writing a novel (my first) about a mildly dysfunctional family on a family vacation in Florida. I really want to read some other books about family vacations, but I'm having a hard time finding anything that's supposed to be decent. Preferably something where all the kids are 18 and under. If it's a debut, that's even better. Anybody know of anything that comes close to this?

I'm reading DeLillo's White Noise, which is somewhat related and one of the best books I've ever read.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

blue squares posted:

I've done extensive googling before asking this because I didn't want to ask a question I could answer myself, but search engine algorithms can only do so much. Anyways,

I'm writing a novel (my first) about a mildly dysfunctional family on a family vacation in Florida. I really want to read some other books about family vacations, but I'm having a hard time finding anything that's supposed to be decent. Preferably something where all the kids are 18 and under. If it's a debut, that's even better. Anybody know of anything that comes close to this?

I'm reading DeLillo's White Noise, which is somewhat related and one of the best books I've ever read.
Have you read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen? It's definitely in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

Have you read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen? It's definitely in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I've read both of Franzen's last two novels.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Books about cults, preferably well-written?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Books about cults, preferably well-written?

Lawrence Wright's Going Clear. It's recent, tremendously well researched and interesting. It deals with Scientology as a cult, its relation with Hollywood as well as Hubbard's personal life.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

mcustic posted:

Lawrence Wright's Going Clear. It's recent, tremendously well researched and interesting. It deals with Scientology as a cult, its relation with Hollywood as well as Hubbard's personal life.

I guess I probably ought to have mentioned which ones I've already read, huh? I'm looking for things along the line of Going Clear or Under the Banner of Heaven, which is about the FLDS church. I read Jenna Miscavige Hill's memoir as well, but memoirs are not so much what I'm looking for, at least in terms of quality.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for books that examine murder and/or crime in small towns or rural areas. Preferably with some aspect of mystery. I'm specifically thinking of something like the tv show Broachurch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bowser posted:

Looking for books that examine murder and/or crime in small towns or rural areas. Preferably with some aspect of mystery. I'm specifically thinking of something like the tv show Broachurch.

Tana French has a few set in various Irish towns where the community ties matter a bunch. Recommend reading them in publication order, because the characters sort of progress.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Don't forget John Grisham. That's kind of his thing. He isn't a super-skilled writer but he is a very gifted storyteller and he keeps the pages turning.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend me a non-fiction book about the Nazi interest and practice of the occult? I've always heard that Hitler was interested in the supernatural as a military weapon, so any books that explore that would be awesome. I don't care if it's a dense, fully-researched textbook-style, or if it's a light read, as long as it's something that goes into the why they looked into the dark arts, and how.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Franchescanado posted:

Can anyone recommend me a non-fiction book about the Nazi interest and practice of the occult? I've always heard that Hitler was interested in the supernatural as a military weapon, so any books that explore that would be awesome. I don't care if it's a dense, fully-researched textbook-style, or if it's a light read, as long as it's something that goes into the why they looked into the dark arts, and how.

It was Himmler, not Hitler, who was most heavily into occult stuff.

The go-to book is The Occult Roots of Nazism: Secret Aryan Cults and Their Influence on Nazi Ideology: The Ariosophists of Austria and Germany, 1890-1935 by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke. It's fairly dry and academic however—I liked this aspect of the book, since the topic is so tawdry and attractive to lunatics. I was going to suggest some other, less serious book, but they are all unreliable.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'm a huge fan of the Matthew Scudder series by Lawrence Block. I've read all of the "drunk" Scudder books and the better "sober" ones. I love the narrative and the incredibly dark criminals that he deals with. I'm looking for something, Noir or otherwise, similar to this.

I've also loved everything that I've read of Jim Thompson so any recommendations along his lines, or both, would be appreciated.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Matthew Scudder series by Lawrence Block. I've read all of the "drunk" Scudder books and the better "sober" ones. I love the narrative and the incredibly dark criminals that he deals with. I'm looking for something, Noir or otherwise, similar to this.

Block would probably tell you to start with Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series, a huge influence—these are more police procedural than the Scudder books, but capture a lot of the same New York noir feeling. Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books are also procedurals, but most of them have the same brooding as the drunk Scudder books. Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor also spends more time fighting inner demons than bad guys—very well written, set in Ireland for added exoticism.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Recommend me THE post apocalyptic novel to read.

From the top of my head, I have read:

The Road
Fahrenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Cell (Stephen King)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can of Cloud posted:

The Road
Fahrenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Cell (Stephen King)

Blindness
or
Cat's Cradle (although this book has at least two glaring sciencey errors that come close to ruining it for me)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Can of Cloud posted:

The Road
Fahrenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Cell (Stephen King)

A Canticle for Leibowitz
On the Beach

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Cat's Cradle (although this book has at least two glaring sciencey errors that come close to ruining it for me)

I'm actually curious now, could you elaborate on the errors? Besides none of the 15 phases of ice acting like ice-9 (which is still more plausible than most science fiction invented stuff) I can't recall any sciencey inaccuracies, but I haven't read the book in a long time.

Either way, I would recommend Nineteen Eighty-Four because it is easily the most influential post apocalyptic novel around and an absolute classic. It's also extremely good and aged well.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Walh Hara posted:

Either way, I would recommend Nineteen Eighty-Four because it is easily the most influential post apocalyptic novel around and an absolute classic. It's also extremely good and aged well.

1984 is dystopian, not post-apocalyptic.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Can of Cloud posted:

Earth Abides is my number one pick. Alas, Babylon, World War Z, The Penultimate Truth, and Wool are good ones that haven't been mentioned.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Walh Hara posted:

I'm actually curious now, could you elaborate on the errors? Besides none of the 15 phases of ice acting like ice-9 (which is still more plausible than most science fiction invented stuff) I can't recall any sciencey inaccuracies, but I haven't read the book in a long time.

Ants using their massed "body heat" to melt Ice 9
People can touch Ice 9 with their fingers safely because apparently skin has no moisture in it

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

People can touch Ice 9 with their fingers safely because apparently skin has no moisture in it

The first one works fine, ants still give off heat even if they aren't warm blooded. The second one isn't scientifically accurate but who cares, the book is well written and funny and good!

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Can of Cloud posted:

The Road
Fahrenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Cell (Stephen King)

There's a whole thread on Post-Apocalyptic novels, which might be useful.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524363

I'm currently reading Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky which is an interesting take on it. (I didn't realise that it was a video game until later, same with Roadside Picnic/STALKER)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

CestMoi posted:

The first one works fine, ants still give off heat even if they aren't warm blooded. The second one isn't scientifically accurate but who cares, the book is well written and funny and good!
First one wouldn't work as described in the book, the behavior and consequence would only work if ants were warm blooded.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Can of Cloud posted:

The Road
Fahrenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Cell (Stephen King)

The Stand by Stephen King (uncut is good, but you can enjoy the original, which some prefer) .

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Stand is one of my favorite books ever.

On The Beach was so disappointing.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

quote:

1984 is dystopian, not post-apocalyptic.

You're right, my mistake.

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh, yeah ice-9 works in a bit irregular ways. It apparantly can't go through membranes like the skin and doesn't cause humans to explode despite ice expanding, yet still makes humans freeze (maybe it just freezes the bloodstream?). It's a bit weird to me that this almost spoiled the book to you, since it's in my opinion still a tolerate amount of scientific liberty Vonnegut took. It's nowhere as "oh my god, this makes no sence scientifically" as FTL travel or time travel. I'd have to reread the book since I don't recall the ant behavior.

Regardless, it's indeed a very good book.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I just recently read The Dark Tower series and The Expansion series by James SA Corey. I was hoping you guys could recommend something with similar feel, a sci fi or fantasy that feels adventurey.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Can anyone suggest a good light-hearted grand adventure type story? Something along the lines of The Princess Bride, I'd think. Or something you might envision Errol Flynn starring in.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 9, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wendell posted:

Can anyone suggest a good light-hearted grand adventure type story? Something along the lines of The Princess Bride, I'd think. Or something you might envision Errol Flynn starring in.

I don't know if it's quite lighthearted enough, but you might try The Scarlet Pimpernel (available free from Project Gutenberg).

Anyone reading it can't help but imagine Errol Flynn as the Pimpernel imo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wendell posted:

Why not try the books that Errol Flynn's movies were based on?

I'd suggest starting with The Curse of Capistrano, which you might know better by its alternate title, The Mark of Zorro; it's the first Zorro book and my guess is it's exactly what you're looking for.

If you want something a little longer, maybe try Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (look for a version with Pyle's illustrations).

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Wendell posted:

Try Captain Blood (Rafael Sabatini). Pirates! Arrrr. Free on Project Gutenberg

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Thank you all! Gotta love the price on all these suggestions so I'm grabbing them all for sure, and I've now started The Curse of Capistrano (free on Goodreads!) since I used to watch the 1990 Zorro series as a kid.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I'm looking for some stuff that would be good for a 11 year old boy who enjoys fantasy stuff. It would be something I read out loud to him, so difficulty isn't an issue. I just don't want anything overly dark/violent or sex stuff. His mom reads LOTR to him, so I guess that would be a good baseline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm looking for some stuff that would be good for a 11 year old boy who enjoys fantasy stuff. It would be something I read out loud to him, so difficulty isn't an issue. I just don't want anything overly dark/violent or sex stuff. His mom reads LOTR to him, so I guess that would be a good baseline.

Tried the Princess Bride? It was a book before it was a movie!