Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Seqenenra posted:

Is that some kind of artifact in the center of your picture? The dark circle?

It shows up in every night photo from my backyard where I point up into the sky. It might have to do with my neighbors' lights in their yards.

I forget the term for it, since I took physics so long ago, but my thought is that the light from my neighbors' yards is coming into the lens. But in the middle of the lens, the light is hitting at an angle such that it's not entering into the lens, being reflected, or if being refracted in the lens, isn't making it to the sensor.

v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The story goes this was found in a grade one classroom in america. But you know, the internet.

Atimo
Feb 21, 2007
Lurking since '03
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

It shows up in every night photo from my backyard where I point up into the sky. It might have to do with my neighbors' lights in their yards.

I forget the term for it, since I took physics so long ago, but my thought is that the light from my neighbors' yards is coming into the lens. But in the middle of the lens, the light is hitting at an angle such that it's not entering into the lens, being reflected, or if being refracted in the lens, isn't making it to the sensor.

v:v:v

Looks like you need to shoot flat frames.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Atimo posted:

Looks like you need to shoot flat frames.

Someone mentioned that it could be from LR's vignette correction. I turned off any lens correction and slid the vignetting correction slider, and even still the ring seems to be slightly there.

Also, this term "flat frames" is new to me. After googling, I've never seen it before. Not surprising. Is this a common procedure, or is it somewhat unusual?

God drat the weather this weekend. It was supposed to be pretty clear this Saturday night, and now it's going to be mostly cloudy. gently caress me.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Flat framing is both common and highly effective, add taking darks and bias frames to complete the package.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

At least in my experience, flat frames are basically required- I'm surprised you haven't seen it before.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Luneshot posted:

At least in my experience, flat frames are basically required- I'm surprised you haven't seen it before.

I meant that I had seen "bias frames" but not flat frames. Asking about how common it is was supposed to be a separate thought. Well, it wasn't too far off the mark, since I didn't really know much about them, whatever name is used. I did only start taking pictures of the stars like a couple of weeks ago. v:shobon:v

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Jekub posted:

Flat framing is both common and highly effective, add taking darks and bias frames to complete the package.

Flat frames are to correct for imperfections in the optics, so are they something that you only take once?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Unfortunately not, you need to take them at the end of your imaging run, and without adjusting anything, every time. If anything in the imaging train changes before you take the flats then they probably wont match the defects in the actual images. It's usually the last thing you do before packing up for the night if you have a flat panel to use, if not you need to carefully move the camera and scope / lens to a place you can take flats and hope you don't move anything on the way.

In the past I have used a white painted wooden board lit with bulbs, a homemade lightbox, an evenly illuminated white wall and now I've gone all fancy and have a Gerd Neumann light panel.

However you do it the plan is the same. Take a series of exposures of an evenly illuminated white surface, expose to about half the maximum saturation value based on the center of the image (normally around 1 to 1.5 seconds). You are basically taking a picture of the defects in your imaging train, mostly vignetting and dust donuts. Once you have your flats your image integration software can use them to subtract those imperfections from the light frames hopefully giving you a clean, flat image.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Jekub posted:

Unfortunately not, you need to take them at the end of your imaging run, and without adjusting anything, every time. If anything in the imaging train changes before you take the flats then they probably wont match the defects in the actual images. It's usually the last thing you do before packing up for the night if you have a flat panel to use, if not you need to carefully move the camera and scope / lens to a place you can take flats and hope you don't move anything on the way.

In the past I have used a white painted wooden board lit with bulbs, a homemade lightbox, an evenly illuminated white wall and now I've gone all fancy and have a Gerd Neumann light panel.

However you do it the plan is the same. Take a series of exposures of an evenly illuminated white surface, expose to about half the maximum saturation value based on the center of the image (normally around 1 to 1.5 seconds). You are basically taking a picture of the defects in your imaging train, mostly vignetting and dust donuts. Once you have your flats your image integration software can use them to subtract those imperfections from the light frames hopefully giving you a clean, flat image.

And along with this, you also take darks? No light into the OTA, just taking an exposure of your CCD imager to get the noise?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If someone knows of a good guide to stacking (i.e., what are flat frames, dark frames, light frames, bias frames, why/when you should be taking them, etc) that'd be great. I never seem to find a good comprehensive article when I look.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

If someone knows of a good guide to stacking (i.e., what are flat frames, dark frames, light frames, bias frames, why/when you should be taking them, etc) that'd be great. I never seem to find a good comprehensive article when I look.

Well, as far as the different frame types, I JUST found this, and it helped me a bit.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/faq.htm

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I don't do imaging myself (don't have a setup) but I've worked with research data, so here's my understanding of the different frames.

Bias frames are a "zero-length" exposure. The purpose for bias frames is simply to remove readout noise from the CCD itself. This is generally a 'flat' level of noise across the chip, so these should not be scaled for exposure time- often what I need to do is begin by removing the bias from all other frames, including darks and flats.

Dark frames are long exposures with no light hitting the CCD chip. They are temperature dependent, and represent the thermal noise on the chip- doing dark subtraction correctly should get rid of your hot pixels. Although they technically depend on exposure, we can usually get away with scaling by exposure time as long as the temperature is right.

Flat frames are images of the imperfections within the optical system itself- dust on the lens, vignetting, sensitivity variations across the chip, etc. Methods of taking flats vary- some people do an image of the twilight sky, some have a setup like Jekub up there. As long as it's evenly illuminated, it should work fine.

For amateur imaging, that should be all you need. The astronomical spectra I worked with required a lot more processing- comp frames, wavelength calibration, transformation (the spectra have to be perfectly straight), overscan subtraction, sky subtraction, etc. Images are a lot simpler than spectra.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Sweet, that's exactely the sort of thing I need to know.

I've got a triggertrap showing up tomorrow, so hopefully I can take the startracker out again tomorrow night and try some 5+ minute exposures. Should make it a lot easier to get 30+ minute exposures stacked together in the end.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Awww yissss

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The primary mirror in my 16 year old 6" dob has seen better days, and some tests showed it to be down to around 72% reflectivity. Not entirely surprising since I've had the thing since I was a freshman in high school. So a couple of days ago I packaged up the mirrors and sent them off to be stripped and recoated and a catseye center spot is being applied too. I should be getting them back in about a week.

The shop doing the work is a small operation in NJ called Majestic Coatings. They have a really good reputation and they do all the coating work for Teeter Telescopes and D & G optical. That alone is about as good of a recommendation as you can get. Also, their coatings are about 6% better reflectivity than the mirrors had when they were brand new.

While the mirrors are gone I'm upgrading the mirror cell and the secondary spider, tweaking the focuser and improving the bearing surfaces. When all is said and done it'll be like a brand new scope. Woot!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What pair of binoculars do you guys recommend for someone interested in getting started in stargazing? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

kim jong-illin posted:

What pair of binoculars do you guys recommend for someone interested in getting started in stargazing? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

I've been using a pair of Bushnell 10x50 binoculars for a while, and they've been pretty great. I think they're linked in the OP? They're most definitely under $50. I think I got mine for $20?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Welp, my photography tripod I use for the refracting spotting scope I inherited broke. Are there adapters for spotting scopes to use astronomy mounts?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I've got a publication date locked in for my article! "Making the Case for Structured Observing" by Tristan Schwartz (AstroZamboni's real name) will be appearing in the July issue of Sky & Telescope.

The timing couldn't be more perfect. It'll be hitting newsstands about 3 weeks before Rocky Mountain Star Stare, where I'll be giving a talk based on it. I'll also be receiving my freebie copies and getting paid for it RIGHT AROUND MY BIRTHDAY.

The timing is beyond loving excellent.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

That's awesome! I'll be sure to look for it when I get the issue.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Great news. I just re-subscribed so I'll keep an eye out for your article.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Count myself as another one who's excited to read your article. I did a talk on something similar at our last astronomy club meeting when demoing our new website. It pretty much turned into myself trying to encourage our membership to use more modern and public means of communication other than an old mailing list.

Neil deGrasse Tyson was in town a few weeks ago for a big engineering event at the local university, and we were able to get a lot of exposure with students there were weren't just into observational astronomy, but folks who are working on stuff like high altitude robotics, microsats, and even aerospace firms like Magellan. I saw a lot of fresh faces at our meeting last month, so I hope we can keep up the momentum.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Made a few upgrades to my setup. Better ballhead mounted to the tracker, and a Nikon 180/2.8 ED lens. Also have a dirty cheap Canon Rebel XT in the mail... that's had the IR filter replaced with plain optical glass. :toot:

Camera won't be here til monday but I can at least test this lens tomorrow night.

As a bonus here's some tiny rear end gears

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Somebody sent me this yesterday. This guy has to be the luckiest bastard on the planet for getting this meteorite on film and not getting killed at the same time.

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nearly-struck-by-meteorite-1.11646757

Edit: found a link to the actual news site.

Seqenenra fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 4, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ehh, moon was too bright to really do anything fancy but it was still good practice tonight.

Orion nebula with 2 sats flying through the frame (was ever so slightly out of focus on most of my shots I realized later, or maybe a touch over exposed? Not real sure, but I'm going to experiment tomorrow)

And the moon

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I think it's a touch overexposed. The Trapezium of M42 is kind of burnt out. Might want to dial back your red channel a bit as well in post. Looks pretty nice otherwise though!

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Awesome night for gazing, I've got my telescope out acclimating, and I'm running to the station for a sixer. Getting ready for next week's lunar eclipse, gonna be a good weather night then too.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Count myself as another one who's excited to read your article. I did a talk on something similar at our last astronomy club meeting when demoing our new website. It pretty much turned into myself trying to encourage our membership to use more modern and public means of communication other than an old mailing list.

Neil deGrasse Tyson was in town a few weeks ago for a big engineering event at the local university, and we were able to get a lot of exposure with students there were weren't just into observational astronomy, but folks who are working on stuff like high altitude robotics, microsats, and even aerospace firms like Magellan. I saw a lot of fresh faces at our meeting last month, so I hope we can keep up the momentum.

You're talking about the Winnipeg RASC aren't you? PM'ed

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wanna get my first scope, but want a dobsonian to do second scope duty. I'd rather save up a little more and just get a scope that'll not only be extremely portable but have an EQ mount with the option for a motorized one later on.

So far, I think I've pretty much narrowed down to the Celestron Omni XLT 127

It's TINY. Gorgeous. Read good reviews for the optics and everything. Light enough that, I figure if I ever start astrophotography junk, it'll piggy back easy enough on the mount. Seems like a good compromise between aperture and size. (5 inches seems okay, and cassegrains have good refractor qualities for planets, right?)

$600 on BH.

Should I steer clear? Just settle and get a 8inch Dob? Just get a pair of binoculars or the astromaster 114eq (which is 150 bucks right now, but has tons of issues I hear. Poor finder, terrible mount, grease issues, etc etc)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The Omni 127 is a loving excellent scope. I've used them several times and came away impressed each time.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Anyone getting some shots of the eclipse tonight? I would, but I'm seriously backed up on homework.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm waiting for the clouds to part (which they're just now starting to do), so hopefully I can see the moon in a few minutes.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I was going to be photographing it, but it's 20 degrees with lots of moisture in the air. My equipment is now covered in an impressive layer of frost.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

No hope with these clouds :smith:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Perfectly clear out here, and we can see it pretty well from our balcony. We left our telescope at a friend's place, so no pictures tonight, unfortunately.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://imgur.com/TnMqXAX

I see the Blood Moon arising.
I see trouble on the way.

Canon 550D, EF28-135mm @ 135mm, ISO800 F5.6 2.0s
Brisbane, Australia, 1854hrs
A little noise reduction and vibrance but otherwise straight out of the camera

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

The internet is being flooded with eclipse photos right now, so here's a couple of mine. I haven't processed many of these yet - just grabbed a few and sent them to Flickr so I could justify to my coworkers why I was late this morning. I'll get some better, sharper ones up soon I hope.

Full moon, pre-eclipse
SDM_5157 by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Totality
SDM_5220 by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Full set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/habilis/sets/72157644002379223

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Recently dug out my old 6" newtonian from almost a decade of storage, and I am enjoying getting back into some viewing. I'm enjoying great views of Jupiter lately, although I would like a little more magnification/detail than the supplied 10mm plossl allows.

I have purchased a Barlow, but I'm not sure it's the highest quality optically, and the view with it and the 10mm is less sharp than the 10mm on it's own.

I'm thinking of an eyepiece upgrade, maybe to a 6/7mm like this: http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-eyepieces/125-inch-eyepieces/celestronxcellxtelescopeeyepieces.cfm

Is this overkill for my scope? Am I hoping for more than can offered, and really I need an aperture upgrade?

Edit: Looks like there's a astromeet near me tonight so I will see if I can borrow some to try out.

Slimchandi fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I've always loved looking at the night sky, but never used anything to assist in my viewing. I also live in Los Angeles which I know limits my viewing with light pollution.

I've ordered the book in the OP, but my question is I have a pair of newish 10x42 Bausch & Lomb binoculars, are those fine or would I be better off picking up a pair of 10x50 listed in the OP? I don't mind buying another pair, but if there is not much difference, then I would rather not have the extra set. Or should I just mess around with what I have and the book for a while then upgrade later?