Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Telesphorus posted:

I'm thinking I should start dishing out some political stuff on Facebook. I feel obligated to balance out all the craziness I see, including articles from The Blaze, Alex Jones, gun control memes, Obama vs. Putin memes, and my personal favorite: A chart done in MS Paint titled "The Nature Hierarchy of the House" that has MAN: PROVIDER OF THE FAMILY and beneath it, WOMEN: MAINTAINER OF THE HOME AND KIDS.

Can't make this poo poo up.

Any advice on making political Facebook posts? It seems the shorter the better as more will actually read them, though that lowers the chance for high quality content. Also, as hard as it is, remove all or most of the underlying snark.

Engage them as people, bonus points if you are white, male and a veteran. A lot of the counters they use off of fox news fall apart if you can do that. An appeal to actual debate and discourse helps if the people involved care about being called out as poo poo heads. Honestly, just sever from the worst though. Someone who never has changed their opinions from discussion will never do it from facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Grognan posted:

Engage them as people, bonus points if you are white, male and a veteran. A lot of the counters they use off of fox news fall apart if you can do that.

Honestly laughing my rear end off at how helpful that is for in-person stuff. I'm not a veteran, just an athletic white male with short hair (one dude was shocked by no military service and specifically said "model soldier" referencing looks, others less ridiculously so). I've seen multiple IRL advocates of right-wing email poo poo wax conciliatory because of proper engagement and polite contradiction.

I totally agree it's worthless engaging in facebook/youtube/etc debates, if your goal is achieving things. If you know someone for real, they will either engage or you'll write each other off as not worth it. If you don't know someone for real, the chances of persuasion are heavily reliant on either party being ultra-lonely.

edit: To be fair, mistaken veteran status is at least as much a signifier on how little of the population serves and how little of the population is young+healthy enough to serve, as it is on dumb whitey confirmation bias. Some guy randomly saluting me as I leave a sandwich shop wouldn't be laughable if a meaningful number of Americans were enlisted. And we'd probably all be better off if more than 20% of our idiot congress had ever experienced war.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 12, 2014

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

sweart gliwere posted:

I totally agree it's worthless engaging in facebook/youtube/etc debates, if your goal is achieving things. If you know someone for real, they will either engage or you'll write each other off as not worth it. If you don't know someone for real, the chances of persuasion are heavily reliant on either party being ultra-lonely.

My motivation for engaging the crazies I know on facebook is to provide a second voice to be heard by everyone else. I know I'm not likely to change the minds of most people, but if I can make a well reasoned argument hopefully someone on the sidelines will get the message.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

borkencode posted:

My motivation for engaging the crazies I know on facebook is to provide a second voice to be heard by everyone else. I know I'm not likely to change the minds of most people, but if I can make a well reasoned argument hopefully someone on the sidelines will get the message.

Thank you for posting this, because it is a good point and one that is easy to forget. It's tempting to say, "gently caress it, I can't change his mind," and move on, but that just allows misinformation to spread unchecked. If one viewpoint dominates the debate, it gains apparent legitimacy by pure volume.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Any conspiracy theories about the explosion in NY? I'm hoping it's another Obama false flag or the Russians did it.

Also, it makes Obama look weak.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 12, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's been at least one gas explosion I've read on the news in Israel.

So the conspiracy is international!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
False Flag Operation by anti-fracking commies :freep:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

Thank you for posting this, because it is a good point and one that is easy to forget. It's tempting to say, "gently caress it, I can't change his mind," and move on, but that just allows misinformation to spread unchecked. If one viewpoint dominates the debate, it gains apparent legitimacy by pure volume.

Yeah, I've had a couple people actually thank me in person for responding to some of the worst of the poop. A lot of people don't necessarily feel comfortable arguing with others, either due to that just being their personality or if they don't feel capable of putting forth a solid argument.

And speaking of the poop...

Pee pee doo doo, Obama is a bad president. (Also Carter)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

borkencode posted:

That's often my reasoning for ever engaging in arguments on the internet. It's never for the sake of the two people arguing, but for all of the people who aren't invested enough in their views to participate, because THOSE are the minds you're going to change. That even applies to some of the arguments I get into on these forums, sometimes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

borkencode posted:

Yeah, I've had a couple people actually thank me in person for responding to some of the worst of the poop. A lot of people don't necessarily feel comfortable arguing with others, either due to that just being their personality or if they don't feel capable of putting forth a solid argument.

Oh christ is that from Young Republicans or some poo poo? Texas A&M's young conservatives are notoriously lovely and were complete shitheads when I was there.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A Buzzfeed top 5 list where the first three slots have 44 entries Good research work by a fine institution

These are the same people who scoff about government research grants.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's not how rankings work. If two people tie for first, the next person is third place, not second.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Are you saying Texans are stupid?

You'd be right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Are you saying Texans are stupid?

You'd be right.

Hey! We're not stupid. We only elected Rick Perry to executive office 4 times, okay? We'll learn eventually.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SaltLick posted:

Oh christ is that from Young Republicans or some poo poo? Texas A&M's young conservatives are notoriously lovely and were complete shitheads when I was there.
They were ranked as the second best college political organization in the country. Several hundred tied for first place. :downsrim:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Email entitled: 'Hilary's response to the missing 777'

"When asked about the missing Malaysian 777 here is Hillary’s response:

"What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?""

Simple, dumb, and a forward that somebody sent to everybody in the company. (nearly everyone else in the company is 50+ and falls from anywhere to 'leaning a little right' to 'full on tea party.') I'm honestly surprised I don't get more of these.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I love it when "common sense" is used to try and prop up a conservative argument.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

seiferguy posted:

I love it when "common sense" is used to try and prop up a conservative argument.

It all comes back to "scale" argument that keeps popping up about conservative ideology. They have no desire to extrapolate out small scale ideas into the larger scale. They just decide it works the same and that's it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I agree, if too many workers pull a rich lovely entitled executive, eventually the wagon (company) won't go anywhere!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Facebook. :smithicide:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I agree, if too many workers pull a rich lovely entitled executive, eventually the wagon (company) won't go anywhere!

Looks like it's time for another round of layoffs!

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

borkencode posted:

This is not how ties work. If 3 people tie for gold, there are no silver or bronze. What follows is fourth place. Both silly and stupid.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

VitalSigns posted:

Hey! We're not stupid. We only elected Rick Perry to executive office 4 times, okay? We'll learn eventually.

Oh yes we are.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

MariusLecter posted:

Oh yes we are.

Speak for yourself, I live in Austin, we're just surrounded and out numbered.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

LeJackal posted:

Facebook. :smithicide:

I like how there is no indication that any of the latter three things are incorrect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MisterBadIdea posted:

I like how there is no indication that any of the latter three things are incorrect.

I noticed that it's kind of a thing in these conservative forwards/memes to just post a quote by a "Liberal" with no further comment, as though it is all by itself entirely ridiculous and infuriating.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MisterBadIdea posted:

The first one doesn't even actually end where they have the period.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Wasn't this sort of image really in vogue a few years ago? OP is an old high-school classmate of mine, but I'm not sure I can be assed replying, might be better of just hitting with an ignore. Dunno.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What would Americans do if the Chinese came in and gave New York to the Native Americans then shoved the Americans into Jersey and slowly starting making Jersey even more ghetto bulldozing peoples homes.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Looking over these forwards, one common contradiction of many I've noticed in conservative thought is as follows:

1. "Poor people should get jobs, anyone can unless they're lazy!"
2. "Obama and the democrats killed millions of jobs!"

Has anyone ever tried playing one of these arguments off another, or just pointed out the doublethink? If so, what responses are typical?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Drone strike them, duh.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

Wasn't this sort of image really in vogue a few years ago? OP is an old high-school classmate of mine, but I'm not sure I can be assed replying, might be better of just hitting with an ignore. Dunno.

If New York started bulldozing houses in New Jersey, and New Jersey was a different country, and New Jersey decided to fight back, and then New York bitched about it and New York used it's massive amounts of money to engage in a giant propaganda campaign and declare itself innocent.

Then yeah, that macro might be slightly accurate.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

KazigluBey posted:

Gaza is literally the worlds biggest concentration camp. It's a cosmic irony that the state of Israel is one of the most brutal and fascist states in existence. I sympathize for the Jewish people, not the Israeli government.

I wonder how these people who are all "REAL AMERICANS PROTECT ISRAEL" feel when a majority of American jews don't support what Israel is doing?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Polybius91 posted:

Looking over these forwards, one common contradiction of many I've noticed in conservative thought is as follows:

1. "Poor people should get jobs, anyone can unless they're lazy!"
2. "Obama and the democrats killed millions of jobs!"

Has anyone ever tried playing one of these arguments off another, or just pointed out the doublethink? If so, what responses are typical?

It goes hand in hand with

1. "The government can't create jobs!"
2. "The economy is doing badly, why didn't Obama create more jobs?"

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Alexzandvar posted:

Gaza is literally the worlds biggest concentration camp. It's a cosmic irony that the state of Israel is one of the most brutal and fascist states in existence. I sympathize for the Jewish people, not the Israeli government.

I wonder how these people who are all "REAL AMERICANS PROTECT ISRAEL" feel when a majority of American jews don't support what Israel is doing?

You're pretending that these "Real Americans" value people's lives and not power

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

pillsburysoldier posted:

You're pretending that these "Real Americans" value people's lives and not power

Anyone with a brain knows we gain far more in negative attention for unconditional support for Israel then we gain in having 1 state in the ME that doesn't dislike us.

But then again, what your working with here is stupid people, anyone who thinks America is obligated to support Israel is not thinking straight or ignorant.

Both sides value lives, one side knows how to get power were the other will fly into irrelevance believing they already have power.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Skex posted:

Austin is the new Alamo?

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Austin is the new Alamo?

They should start capitalizing on the whole Molon Labe thing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skex posted:

But Austin has (the Texas) Capitol Hill surrounded.

I say this as a born and raised Austinite who is both terrified and morbidly fascinated by the idea of people storming the house chamber next time Texas Republicans do something as disgusting as their actions during the Wendy Davis filibuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

vyelkin posted:

It goes hand in hand with

1. "The government can't create jobs!"
2. "The economy is doing badly, why didn't Obama create more jobs?"

I believe the conservative answer to that one is that the government can't create jobs, but it can take the jackboot of taxes/regulations off of businesses so that they can create jobs.