Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This is taken from here and shows 2011 report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm starting to like the Hungarians less and less. First I found out about Turanism, and now it turns out their children are fat.

e: of course Romania is least obese, I'm beginning to notice a pattern in the graphs you post

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They're always hungary. (sorry)

3peat
May 6, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

e: of course Romania is least obese, I'm beginning to notice a pattern in the graphs you post

Couldn't help it :D

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

3peat posted:

Couldn't help it :D

For penance, post some map/graph that have Romania as something worst :colbert:

3peat
May 6, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

For penance, post some map/graph that have Romania as something worst :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VitalSigns posted:

Because that cutoff is the one that made the colors most conveniently line up to support the author's cheap point-scoring.
And besides, those images that compare obesity rates and voting are stupid anyway, because obesity rates are high among African-Americans, and they're not the ones voting Republican.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It is acceptable. Also, no wonder Norway and Switzerland don't want to join EU, they don't have a single non red postcode. Apparently neither does Denmark, but they at least have both shades of red.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Every time I see one of these 'best places to live' maps I kinda wish my great grandfather never decided to move from Norway to farm wheat in northwest Minnesota around 1900. The hell was he thinking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Disco Infiva posted:

It is acceptable. Also, no wonder Norway and Switzerland don't want to join EU, they don't have a single non red postcode. Apparently neither does Denmark, but they at least have both shades of red.

You can also see the divide between Wallonia and Flanders in Belgium.

3peat posted:

Maybe it means bigger than (almost) all the EU :)

Interesting. One poster said obesity tracks poverty in the USA, but this is clearly not the case for the EU. Poor Hungary and rich United Kingdom as the most obese, poor Romania plus relative affluent Italy and rich Netherlands as the least obese.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wukkar posted:

Every time I see one of these 'best places to live' maps I kinda wish my great grandfather never decided to move from Norway to farm wheat in northwest Minnesota around 1900. The hell was he thinking.

There was lots of cheap land and there was economic issues in Norway at the time.

Of course when your country is 90% of one ethnicity (and you're white, on top of that) it's pretty easy to make a rich country.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You'd be able to see it even better if the author didn't decide to put 'Belgium' right in front of Wallonia. A rather questionable decision to display country names.

wukkar posted:

As far as I know Norway was complete poo poo back in 1900, so it was a good decision from his perspective.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

wukkar posted:

"I'm poor, hungry and cold gently caress this poo poo"?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

You'd be able to see it even better if the author didn't decide to put 'Belgium' right in front of Wallonia. A rather questionable decision to display country names.

He/she was too busy to insert "Bailiwick of Guernsey" and "Bailiwick of Jersey" into the map to care for these unimportant details.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know exactly why my great-great grandfather moved from Malta after WW1 but it was probably a combination of "poo poo's crowded" and "anyone wanting to control the Mediterranean is probably going to invade us, gently caress that".

e: For content, population density of Malta:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 12, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Obesity is definitely linked to poverty/race in the US. Not sure what might be done to reverse this trend though.

From cdc.gov

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

computer parts posted:

Of course when your country is 90% of one ethnicity (and you're white, on top of that) it's pretty easy to make a rich country.

Finding a shitton of oil in the 1960s (and putting the revenues from it into a pension fund) presumably helped a great deal as well.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

computer parts posted:

There was lots of cheap land and there was economic issues in Norway at the time.

What the gently caress does skin color have to do with it?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, the difference there is pretty stark. And what's up with Netherlands, I thought that it should be richer than a bit over EU average?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Less likely to be invaded by Europeans.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Well he's still at least 1 for 3 in NW Minnesota.

Actually if any of his descendants got liberal arts degrees they're probably well on their way to getting back where they started.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

computer parts posted:

e: For content, population density of Malta:

I've been to Malta and half the island is full of tightly packed buildings. It's a beautiful place but I wouldn't want to live there because of the density, not that they allow foreigners to move there anyway.

Content:

Obesity in Britain:

Poverty in Britain:

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 12, 2014

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, the difference there is pretty stark. And what's up with Netherlands, I thought that it should be richer than a bit over EU average?

they are a nation of internet trolls ruled by idiots

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kamrat posted:

I've been to Malta and half the island is full of tightly packed buildings. It's a beautiful place but I wouldn't want to live there because of the density, not that they allow foreigners to move there anyway.

Content:

Obesity in Britain:

Poverty in Britain:

Interesting. If the UK is representative of the whole Union, then obesity rates nationwide are still in sync with poverty rates, but they don't match up between nation states. And especially neighbors Romania and Hungary being at the opposite end of the listing. What's up with that?

Edit: And back to the Europe map of wealth, look at Italy and understand why there are some people in Northern Italy that want to get rid of the south.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Disco Infiva posted:

It lists buying power and the Netherlands is expensive.

Edit: What's the really poor strip of land through Portugal?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

computer parts posted:

Less likely to be invaded by Europeans.

Seeing as how Norway was quite literally dominated by foreign (white European) powers up until 1905 and subsequently invaded during WW2 that assertion, in regards to Norway, at least, seems dubious at best.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Seeing as how Norway was quite literally dominated by foreign (white European) powers up until 1905 and subsequently invaded during WW2 that assertion, in regards to Norway, at least, seems dubious at best.

Well, Scandinavian relations are a bit complicated anyway. How foreign were these people that spoke a mutually intelligible language, had the same ethnicity and a quite similar culture?

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Well, Scandinavian relations are a bit complicated anyway. How foreign were these people that spoke a mutually intelligible language, had the same ethnicity and a quite similar culture?

Well how foreign was the Royal Ulster Constabulary Force actually to these ungrateful Irish?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Norway is so filthy rich that there are hordes of Swedes crossing the border to wash toilets and mow lawns there.

computer parts posted:

Or, you know, having a fuckton of oil.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Antwan3K posted:

Well how foreign was the Royal Ulster Constabulary Force actually to those uppity Irish papists?

You simply cannot compare these two. It begins with different, and feuding, sects of the same religion, the fact that there were Celts against Anglo-Saxons and the fact that these Anglo-Saxons were settling/colonizing parts of Celtic Ireland.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Truly 1900s Minnesota lacked all of these! Hence it's reputation as a second Eden rather than frozen wasteland.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Kamrat posted:

Obesity in Britain:

This is really interesting because I always thought that Scotland had a bigger obesity problem than the rUK. According to this though, its not as bad as the big problems in the North of England...

That could be because either Glasgow is lumped in with Bute and bits of the West Coast or its split between two regions which dilutes its impact...

Although Scots apparently aren't as fat as the English; we're all still doing to die sooner!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Truly 1900s Minnesota lacked all of these! Hence it's reputation as a second Eden rather than frozen wasteland.

It had more farming land compared to the Nordic countries. Lots of Finns moved there also.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

IceAgeComing posted:

Although Scots apparently aren't as fat as the English; we're all still doing to die sooner!

Wow, why do you think that is, more manual labor or something?

Have some more maps, life expectancy in Europe.

Women:

Men:

(note that these maps are 10 years old so they're pretty outdated)

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 12, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Western Maryland: Fat Free and Loving It.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Kamrat posted:

Wow, why do you think that is, more manual labor or something?

Scotland's always been seen as a place with an awful diet; but I don't know why its so much worse than England generally. Its always been quite a bit poorer than England; but then again so is the North of England and it seems to do better than Scotland does. Glasgow has bits where the life expectancy is shockingly low - in Calton, its 53 and that seems to be trending downwards... Things are getting better though; in the 90s it was universally below 70 across Scotland and its rising year-on-year.

Its definitely getting better though; those figures are 2006 (there are newer ones available but I liked that map; the trend is the same though), and in the early 90s it was universally below 70 in Scotland...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kurtofan posted:

They're always hungary. (sorry)

I lived with a Hungarian once, he was constantly Czeching the fridge.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ethnic cohesion has a really strong record when it comes to making a nation more cohesive and capable of building the kind of institutions that lead to a strong economy. Things like funding to schools, willingness to invest in infrastructure, social capital and engagement, the public's willingness to engage in collective action all have a negative correlation with ethnic diversity in places from America to Africa to Southeast Asia to nearly everywhere studied.

It's not a very nice observation, but its pretty solidly backed by the majority of research and it really does an amazing job of explaining quite a few historical phenomenon like why America never went full social democracy like Europe and why our labor movement never took off to the same extent and why Europe's social democracy is breaking down as it becomes more diverse.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It could be worse. His great grandfather could have been like mine and moved from Norway to North Dakota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SickZip posted:

Ethnic cohesion has a really strong record when it comes to making a nation more cohesive and capable of building the kind of institutions that lead to a strong economy. Things like funding to schools, willingness to invest in infrastructure, social capital and engagement, the public's willingness to engage in collective action all have a negative correlation with ethnic diversity in places from America to Africa to Southeast Asia to nearly everywhere studied.

It's not a very nice observation, but its pretty solidly backed by the majority of research and it really does an amazing job of explaining quite a few historical phenomenon like why America never went full social democracy like Europe and why our labor movement never took off to the same extent and why Europe's social democracy is breaking down as it becomes more diverse.

God drat, people suck. gently caress it, I hope we hit +4C average warming and have a complete environmental meltdown sooner than the IPCC estimates.