Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MrNemo posted:

Go to a ping pong show /caberham

Also I flew Malaysian airlines today and it landed where they said it would. I don't think there were any African Iranian guys on board though so maybe I lucked out.

Probably because this is your plane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amS3tsCQVNU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Bomoh is the melayu word for wizard/witch just in case anyone is wondering what the gently caress. Those guys are using their magic to help locate the plane.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Hahaha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrUkeYxUF0

- - -

Oh by the way, will be in Saigon tomorrow if anyone wants to grab a beer or recommend a cheap guesthouse.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 13, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Saigon is awesome. They have rat sandwiches and like bars and everything. It's unheard of in Southeast Asia!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Bomoh is the melayu word for wizard/witch just in case anyone is wondering what the gently caress. Those guys are using their magic to help locate the plane.

I don't know if this is a doctored image but I sure am glad that the POTUS will be reminded of these people whenever he sees the word "Malaysia":

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't know if this is a doctored image but I sure am glad that the POTUS will be reminded of these people whenever he sees the word "Malaysia":

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/13/Missing-MH370-Obama-Fake-image/

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
My old friends from Canada are coming to visit after being here for 4 years, and its their first time in Asia, so I had a few questions. I'm meeting them in Singapore, and our projected 11 day itinerary (they have desk jobs) looks like this:

Singapore (1 day)-> Fly to Phnom Penh (1-2 days)---> Bus/Ferry (can anyone confirm if they ferry is worth it?) to Siem Reap--2 days in Angkor Wat---> Bus to border with Thailand (Poipet)--->????????????????Hopefully somewhere nice with a beach, thinking Koh Chang, but worried about the travelling(2-3 days)-----> Bangkok (1-2 days)---Fly back to Singapore and fly the next day.

Any suggestions on where after the border crossing into Thailand to go that is A) Near Bangkok B) Not Pattaya, C.) Not crazy out-of-the-way D) Is a nice relaxing place for some snorkeling and swimming

B-Rad fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 14, 2014

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

B-Rad posted:

Bus/Ferry (can anyone confirm if they ferry is worth it?) to Siem Reap

I've never done it myself, but most reports I've heard in the past say it's not worth the price - uncomfortable, unsafe (although not sure there is much that counts as 'safe' here), and not much quicker than a bus. I've not heard anything recently though so maybe it's improved, though I doubt it.

If you don't fancy splashing out on a flight I'd recommend getting a minibus, or maybe even a taxi if there are going to be a few of you. Both tend to be more comfortable than the standard coaches (and you don't have to deal with Cambodian karaoke videos, which is a definite bonus).

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I know everyone shits on the boat, but I've done it 3-4 times and it's a pretty way to go. One thing, though, bring sunblock or something. Got a crazy sunburn on it one time. Most people sit on the roof, not downstairs. If you plan to go, get there super early and try to get a spot under the hutch where the cabin is. Everything else is open air. Also, don't sit behind the exhaust vent, heh. Sitting downstairs isn't bad or anything, but it's like riding in some leftover "boats of the future!" ride from 1950s Disneyworld.

It's not worth the money in terms of economics, but it's a whole lot more comfortable than any other non-taxi option. Most trips I'd probably take a taxi these days.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
So i officially feel like poo poo. stomach is ok and im not throwing up unless i do quick head movements. I think i have a mild heat stroke.

I need something with salts but gently caress walking.

The bus broke down on the way, had only one gear. Full blast with horns going, intches away from koffin.

I already hate this town. Tomorrow after one night in the small hotel its 10-14 days in Sok San Beach bungalows.

edit: in sihanoukville

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 14, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

B-Rad posted:

Any suggestions on where after the border crossing into Thailand to go that is A) Near Bangkok B) Not Pattaya, C.) Not crazy out-of-the-way D) Is a nice relaxing place for some snorkeling and swimming
Just got back from Samet, it was nice and relaxing. Just make sure you are on one of the smaller beaches, the main one tends to be loud and crowded.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Cool, I think we are going to go that route because its less travel time than Koh Chang. I've been to Samet once and I really enjoyed it, but that was 5 years ago, so I'm not sure if it has changed. Did you notice any remnants of the oil spill?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I'm starting a year-long trip in April and plan on spending a good amount of time in SE Asia. Right now it looks like I'll be in Bali mid-June and then I was planning on going to Malaysia. From there I am debating on starting in Cambodia in July and going up through Vietnam, Laos and ending in Chiang Mai. In terms in weather, would it be better to reverse that course?

I'm also certainly down for beers if any of you guys are around at all.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Barfolemew posted:

So i officially feel like poo poo. stomach is ok and im not throwing up unless i do quick head movements. I think i have a mild heat stroke.

In Laos, we had an average of one teacher a week going to the clinic for dehydration. Admittedly, most of them were 19-year-old idiots away from home for the firs time, but it's really easy to make yourself sick. Those of us from cooler countries just have no concept of drinking that much water. If (when!) I go back to SEA I'm taking ten pounds of Nuun tablets with me.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Yeah, heat stress is a big deal. I was once diving with some a couple from England and the girl didn't feel great so sat out the second dive. When we got back to the boat, it turns out she'd fainted and was being looked after by the boat guys. She'd opened a big water the day before... but hadn't finished it. WTF. Drink at least two of those suckers each day... two more if you're doing anything more than lying in bed, or if you're drinking booze, or scuba diving.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
nvm, its food poisoning. Spent most of the night in bathroom. Still not throwing up, just have the runs and i think a slight fefer.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

B-Rad posted:

Cool, I think we are going to go that route because its less travel time than Koh Chang. I've been to Samet once and I really enjoyed it, but that was 5 years ago, so I'm not sure if it has changed. Did you notice any remnants of the oil spill?
Nope, seas are very clear. There's a couple beaches with construction going on though.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Barfolemew posted:

nvm, its food poisoning. Spent most of the night in bathroom. Still not throwing up, just have the runs and i think a slight fefer.

Try to pick up some Royal C packets, should be able to find them in drugstores (they weren't in all of the drugstores in Siem Reap so you may have to search for them) for around 15 cents a pack. They were a lifesaver when I was violently expelling everything from my body in Siem Reap. Both flavors that I found were pretty decent (strawberry and grape), I just dumped them into bottles of water and shook it up.

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Hopefully you're at one of the busier beaches instead of Otres because I love Otres but I don't want to be sick there since it's really far to the city where you can get supplies.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Tomato Soup posted:

Try to pick up some Royal C packets, should be able to find them in drugstores (they weren't in all of the drugstores in Siem Reap so you may have to search for them) for around 15 cents a pack. They were a lifesaver when I was violently expelling everything from my body in Siem Reap. Both flavors that I found were pretty decent (strawberry and grape), I just dumped them into bottles of water and shook it up.

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Hopefully you're at one of the busier beaches instead of Otres because I love Otres but I don't want to be sick there since it's really far to the city where you can get supplies.

This is nitpicking, but just to make sure he isn't confused, I think you mean Royal D, not Royal C. Unless there are competing brands of Royal oral rehydration solutions...

My favorite was always the orange, personally. But if you have a choice between the packet designs, the boxes will look like one of these two:

Always go with the one on the right. They both do the same thing but oh man it just tastes way better.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Slam that Royal D down your sickly throat

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

Finch! posted:

There's 100% more grenade shrapnel in the air in Bangkok.

For real though, I'm thinking of going there towards the end of april early may. How bad is the unrest/protests?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

December Octopodes posted:

For real though, I'm thinking of going there towards the end of april early may. How bad is the unrest/protests?

Don't go to two intersections. If you do go to one of those two intersections don't spend too much money at the vendors there. If you happen to be by one of those two intersections and someone brandishes a rifle maybe don't run toward that person with an angry face.

Safest civil unrest in the world.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

This is nitpicking, but just to make sure he isn't confused, I think you mean Royal D, not Royal C. Unless there are competing brands of Royal oral rehydration solutions...

My favorite was always the orange, personally. But if you have a choice between the packet designs, the boxes will look like one of these two:

Always go with the one on the right. They both do the same thing but oh man it just tastes way better.
Can you explain what they do? Are they good for prevention, curing, or after having had vomiting/runs?

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Whoops, I did mean Royal D :v: I only tried the ones on left in grape/strawberry and it tasted like kool aid which was kind of comforting when I was violently ill v:shobon:v

I googled and found this

quote:

Royal-D is the sport drink powder (electrolyte beverage) for the athletes, fitness person, sport man who want freshness and bring back their energy, sweat and minerals loosing during exercise.

The electrolyte drink allows the body after rapid rehydration of diarrhea problems.

This drink is strongly recommended for strenuous exercise or in athletic competition.

Athletes regularly consume cons square sweating and loss of sodium.

May also serve a nutritional supplement.

You feel tired, you need a boost, this drink is perfect to get in shape.

If that confuses you (not surprising) it's basically a sports drink but you have to mix it up first. It doesn't cure vomiting/diarrhea but it helps you to stay hydrated better than just water. If you can't keep any food down, this helps you feel a bit better and gives you some energy to drag yourself further than the bathroom.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 15, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

December Octopodes posted:

Yeah, what Sheep-Goats said. I'll be there at the same time and I'm not at all concerned.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Cool, from what yall had posted I wasn't super worried, but I still wanted to check.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Suthep supposedly just fired up the pii nhong express again for one last push, but I can't see any momentum. Might drag on a bit longer, though.

EDIT: Some friends of mine did some consulting for this company and the company's doing something I'd long pondered doing, so I figured I'd plug them here. Reportedly, if you're into this sort of thing, they do a good job:

http://www.expique.com/

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 16, 2014

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Here's something similar: http://www.withlocals.com/ Pay locals to have them cook and feed you their food. Reindeer, you could take people for runs and charge money for it. Americans might even tip you.

Went to Saigon, ate mostly Greek food at Zeus. I'm used to the joke they call kebabs in Bangkok so I went in there (it was next to my hotel) not expecting much but once they put the kebab on my table, I knew it would be something special. It's mind blastingly good and affordable! Highly recommended. Only reason why anyone would want to go to Vietnam.

Just kidding

By the way, what are those guys doing riding around on bicycles with a stick-shaker thing?

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 16, 2014

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Might be heading back to SEA in July :getin:

And I might be on a Hello Kitty jet for one of the legs :neckbeard:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ringo R posted:

Here's something similar: http://www.withlocals.com/ Pay locals to have them cook and feed you their food. Reindeer, you could take people for runs and charge money for it. Americans might even tip you.

Went to Saigon, ate mostly Greek food at Zeus. I'm used to the joke they call kebabs in Bangkok so I went in there (it was next to my hotel) not expecting much but once they put the kebab on my table, I knew it would be something special. It's mind blastingly good and affordable! Highly recommended. Only reason why anyone would want to go to Vietnam.

Just kidding

By the way, what are those guys doing riding around on bicycles with a stick-shaker thing?

Zeus is awesome! Made by a real Greek dude, smack in the middle of Backpacker district. I lived nearby and would have those cheap kebabs often.

The stick-shaker guys are massage guys. So they do massages on the spot, they have their kit with them. With hot spoons or the glass bulb thingies...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tomato Soup posted:

Might be heading back to SEA in July :getin:

And I might be on a Hello Kitty jet for one of the legs :neckbeard:

I have come to the conclusion that traveling in South(east) Asia is an addiction, once which the crappy winter weather of the US East Coast only acts as a catalyst for...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

B-Rad posted:

My old friends from Canada are coming to visit after being here for 4 years, and its their first time in Asia, so I had a few questions. I'm meeting them in Singapore, and our projected 11 day itinerary (they have desk jobs) looks like this:

Singapore (1 day)-> Fly to Phnom Penh (1-2 days)---> Bus/Ferry (can anyone confirm if they ferry is worth it?) to Siem Reap--2 days in Angkor Wat---> Bus to border with Thailand (Poipet)--->????????????????Hopefully somewhere nice with a beach, thinking Koh Chang, but worried about the travelling(2-3 days)-----> Bangkok (1-2 days)---Fly back to Singapore and fly the next day.

PHNOM PENH FERRY SUCKS :suicide:

And dammit, give me a visit in HK, if it's your friends First time in Asia tour you know caberham is your gateway!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

Are you in Singapore? I'm thinking of only staying there for one night and then heading to Indonesia, would be down to meet up with someone though. Do you get PMs?

There's a Sing goon poor thread. Post there. Nice folk over there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Typical loving Singapore, they just have to be all snooty and have their own thread - too good for the rest of Southeast Asia lah!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Senso posted:

Zeus is awesome! Made by a real Greek dude, smack in the middle of Backpacker district. I lived nearby and would have those cheap kebabs often.

The stick-shaker guys are massage guys. So they do massages on the spot, they have their kit with them. With hot spoons or the glass bulb thingies...

Yeah, I'd eat his food every day until I puke, or run out of money, which is more likely to happen first. You need to convince him to open a place in Bangkok.

So that's what those guys were doing. I'm sure they sterilize their equipment after ever use :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The stick shaker (clackety clack) dudes in Phnom Penh are soup sellers. You can tell the soup by the rhythm.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Tomato Soup posted:

Late reply but thanks anyway. Finally just went to a drugstore and got some antibiotics, now i feel normal again. Felt much better pretty soon so at least she didnt sell me rat poison.

Spent just one night in sihnaukville and now im at Koh Rong, Sok San Beach Bungalows. 10 days or so. This place is heaven, not really sure what day is it anymore. Electricity is on 4 hours a day.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Barfolemew posted:

not really sure what day is it anymore
one of us

one of us

one of us

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I kind of imagine the Singapore thread as being a lot like #firstworldproblems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Its owns

Also I'm already meeting GBM for a beer so dinnae worry!