Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Interlude posted:

DC entirely banned handguns until they were told they couldn't. Chicago banned all handguns as well as all gun sales and transfers until they were told they couldn't. San Francisco tried to ban all handguns in the 80s but was preempted by the state. CA has a roster of "allowed handguns" which has the practical effect of banning any gun whose manufacturer doesn't cough up extortion money to the government; their new microstamping regulation is accelerating this process. Assault weapons bans are commonplace; in NYC, they allowed registration and then confiscated everything that was registered. Sen. John Chaffe of RI, Rep. Bobby Rush of IL, Rep. Major Ownes of NY, Rep. William Clay of MO, Sen. Bill Bradley of NJ, and several others have publicly supported handgun bans.

So, no actual examples of full gun bans by states. Nice going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Good God, do you lurk this thread just waiting for someone to say "Gun"?

If you want to talk gun rights so much, why not start a thread about it instead of derailing this one every month with "then they came for MAH GUNS and there was no one left to speak for me"?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Interlude posted:

DC entirely banned handguns until they were told they couldn't. Chicago banned all handguns as well as all gun sales and transfers until they were told they couldn't. San Francisco tried to ban all handguns in the 80s but was preempted by the state. CA has a roster of "allowed handguns" which has the practical effect of banning any gun whose manufacturer doesn't cough up extortion money to the government; their new microstamping regulation is accelerating this process. Assault weapons bans are commonplace; in NYC, they allowed registration and then confiscated everything that was registered. Sen. John Chaffe of RI, Rep. Bobby Rush of IL, Rep. Major Ownes of NY, Rep. William Clay of MO, Sen. Bill Bradley of NJ, and several others have publicly supported handgun bans.

Bills are proposed all the time to ban all semi-automatic weapons, one of which was recently passed and then vetoed in CA. A magazine capacity ban in NJ being debated now has the potential to make vast swaths of small-caliber hunting rifles illegal. Bills are constantly introduced to outright or de facto ban entire swaths of weapons via microstamping, requiring gun owners to carry liability insurance, banning people on the no-fly list from owning guns, loosening criteria for being added to prohibited purchaser lists (especially via dubious mental health-related scarlet letters), incrementally banning low-hanging fruit like .50 caliber rifles and .50AE pistols, widening "gun free zones" to the point where gun owners will have to huddle under a bridge like those sex offenders in FL, making the issuance of a pistol permit hinge on a letter from your doctor, requiring psychological examinations before guns can be purchased, banning certain types of ammo, etc.

Dianne Feinstein, arguably the most vocal proponent of gun control in the US Senate in recent decades, is on record saying she wanted to ban all guns but couldn't get the votes. Cuomo in NY said before the SAFE act that confiscation was an option. A few other influential politicians have advocated similarly (sources suck but they're just links to videos).

But I guess gun owners shouldn't be paranoid because no place in the US (currently) bans ALL guns.

You're supposed to link the source of your crazy forwards.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Interlude posted:

Bills are proposed all the time to ban all semi-automatic weapons, one of which was recently passed and then vetoed in CA. A magazine capacity ban in NJ being debated now has the potential to make vast swaths of small-caliber hunting rifles illegal. Bills are constantly introduced to outright or de facto ban entire swaths of weapons via microstamping, requiring gun owners to carry liability insurance, banning people on the no-fly list from owning guns, loosening criteria for being added to prohibited purchaser lists (especially via dubious mental health-related scarlet letters), incrementally banning low-hanging fruit like .50 caliber rifles and .50AE pistols, widening "gun free zones" to the point where gun owners will have to huddle under a bridge like those sex offenders in FL, making the issuance of a pistol permit hinge on a letter from your doctor, requiring psychological examinations before guns can be purchased, banning certain types of ammo, etc.

Dianne Feinstein, arguably the most vocal proponent of gun control in the US Senate in recent decades, is on record saying she wanted to ban all guns but couldn't get the votes. Cuomo in NY said before the SAFE act that confiscation was an option. A few other influential politicians have advocated similarly (sources suck but they're just links to videos).

But I guess gun owners shouldn't be paranoid because no place in the US (currently) bans ALL guns.

So, your idea of data and sources is the paranoid ramblings of far-right shills and quips regarding anything but the complete and total ban of firearms and out of context quotes from Democratic politicians?

Jesus, am I posting on SA or Facebook right now? I can't loving tell!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
If you took a screenshot of that post and posted it to facebook, then screenshot the facebook post and posted it here, I think it would count as a content post.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 14, 2014

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Guns: Stull bad and also dumb.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rosalind posted:

My dad made the same kind of insane claims about health insurance marketplace deductibles being really high for expensive plans. It turns out he was reading the out-of-pocket limits and not the deductibles.

My last job was explaining Medicare plans to people about to go on Medicare (or their children with power of attorney). I ran into a lot of folks who couldn't understand the difference between a deductible and MOOP.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

TheQat posted:

Every third time I come in this thread you're posting off-topic poo poo about guns. Now you're sourcing breitbart and "gunssavelives" which regardless of what they're linking to, no one cares to visit. Please go away

hint: the topic is crazy forwarded political emails, not gun apologism
Poster 1: lol look at this crazy gun image macro gently caress gun owners
Poster 2: They're right I do want to ban all guns
Poster 3: But we shouldn't ban all guns and here's why...
Poster 4: Thus isn't the gun control thread gently caress off

Repeat.

Edit: Love how you guys don't even bother to refute any of it. I specifically avoided crazy conspiracy stuff and just posted actual laws, bills, and public, recorded statements by politicians and it's apparently all nonsense. Is this DU now?

Edit 2: I'm done, continue the circle jerk.

Interlude fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 15, 2014

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Interlude posted:

Ban all guns for being a leading cause of mental instability, evidence of claim attached above.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Interlude posted:

Repeat.

Edit: Love how you guys don't even bother to refute any of it. I specifically avoided crazy conspiracy stuff and just posted actual laws, bills, and public, recorded statements by politicians and it's apparently all nonsense. Is this DU now?

No one refuted it because you didn't back up your previous argument that Democratically controlled states have implemented total guns bans. In fact you posted evidence that those total bans don't exist and that even handgun bans have been struck down by the loving Supreme Court.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why don't you just start a gun thread? You've already put together a sparkly OP about the liberal plot to ban guns from sea to shining sea.

Seriously I'll read it. I want to see the arguments. Just, not here, where I come for sanctuary from my Facebook.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Interlude posted:

Repeat.

Edit 2: I'm done, continue the circle jerk.

Debating/discussing hard. Reading posts hard :downs:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Interlude nobody refutes you because nobody gives a poo poo about your stupid loving crusade. Even if obama himself posted on Twitter that he was coming specifically to take your guns none of us would care at this point because you are so goddamn annoying.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Please stop.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm pretty pro-gun, but sometimes I want to support anti-gun stuff just to spite people like Interlude.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm pretty pro-gun, but sometimes I want to support anti-gun stuff just to spite people like Interlude.

I should get a screen shot of this guy off another forum. He said the flight in Malaysia wouldn't have gotten hijacked if the passengers were allowed guns. Well, he spelled it aloud, but you know.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Interlude posted:

Xombie posted:

There are zero out of 50 states with total bans on guns. There is no popular support for such a movement outside of a handful of US cities, even among liberals. And even those cities only support the bans because of an especially high gun crime rate.

You're asking people why you shouldn't be paranoid based on a justification that is itself just a paranoid delusion.

quote:

You didn't post anything that's 1) A total ban and 2) Actually passed. You haven't given evidence to be paranoid, you've just given piles of iron-clad evidence of the complete failure of anyplace or anyone to institute a total gun ban. People regard you as delusional because everyone realizes this but you and other paranoid gun nuts.

People don't hate your arguments because they're supporting guns. People hate your arguments because they're bad and obnoxious. You're doing more harm than good to your cause.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 15, 2014

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Interlude posted:

The crazy forwarded political email is coming from inside the thread!

I support a total ban on Interlude owning any guns. Because he exemplifies paranoid nutjobs that don't have the mental faculties to responsibly own guns.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Meanwhile back on topic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Who's that fourth guy? He looks like he toured with Queen.

vvvvv Yes.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 15, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Discendo Vox posted:

Who's that fourth guy? He looks like he toured with Queen.

... You're joking, right?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DoctorWhat posted:

... You're joking, right?

A guy I used to be friends with (until he turned into the sort of person who actually believes the crazy poo poo that gets posted here) lived in Saudi Arabia as a young child and missed US pop culture references all the time.

DV, it's actor Mandy Patinkin in his role in The Princess Bride.

e:

borkencode posted:

Meanwhile back on topic.

Like the "free" market, right?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 15, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Yeah, the borderline Alex Jones 'Last stand at the Alamo' attitude is really grating. Interlude, what do you think of an amendment limiting concealed carry and sidearms under a certain size/weight; while enshrining open carry of rifles and shotguns? You can always have your gun with you if SHTF.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

borkencode posted:

Meanwhile back on topic.

It really bothers me when authoritarian conservative shitheels say poo poo like this, because the next thing they do is say something along the lines of "hurr durr we're the only ones that acknowledge that education/healthcare/whatever has a cost!" Well no poo poo, Shirlock! I guess the problem would be that if they acknowledged the overwhelming evidence that human capital investment in the forms of universal healthcare and access to education COST LESS AND DELIVER BETTER OUTCOMES, then they wouldn't have a loving leg to stand on to justify preventing those goddamn poors from getting equal access to facilities previously enjoyed by the rich exclusively!

... y'know, because FREEDOM :freep:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

It really bothers me when authoritarian conservative shitheels say poo poo like this, because the next thing they do is say something along the lines of "hurr durr we're the only ones that acknowledge that education/healthcare/whatever has a cost!" Well no poo poo, Shirlock! I guess the problem would be that if they acknowledged the overwhelming evidence that human capital investment in the forms of universal healthcare and access to education COST LESS AND DELIVER BETTER OUTCOMES, then they wouldn't have a loving leg to stand on to justify preventing those goddamn poors from getting equal access to facilities previously enjoyed by the rich exclusively!

... y'know, because FREEDOM :freep:
They mock this as if they have no idea that it's a soundbite instead of, you know, the entire plan. Then they turn around and talk in soundbites.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Duke Igthorn posted:

They mock this as if they have no idea that it's a soundbite instead of, you know, the entire plan. Then they turn around and talk in soundbites.
But looking beyond the soundbites that the right wing spoon-feeds them is hard and might force them to consider that they might not know everything.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Did anyone ever take that vaccine effort post from awhile back and host it? I need to smack down some internet doctor moms.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Interlude posted:

Did anyone ever take that vaccine effort post from awhile back and host it? I need to smack down some internet doctor moms.

Look they are moms ok, nothing instills you with more instant knowledge about the entire world then spawning offspring. I had someone tell me that the Zimmerman jury knew what they were doing because they were moms.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Look they are moms ok, nothing instills you with more instant knowledge about the entire world then spawning offspring. I had someone tell me that the Zimmerman jury knew what they were doing because they were moms.

"You'll understand [intentionally endangering your own children due to pseudoscience] when you become a mom!!!"

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Interlude posted:

http://www.error40.dk

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

borkencode posted:

Meanwhile back on topic.

I agree with this macro. "Should" is clearly the incorrect word. "Must" is the correct word, as every nation needs free birth control, education and healthcare to ensure a healthy, educated populace going forward into the 21st century.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

vyelkin posted:

"You'll understand [intentionally endangering your own children due to pseudoscience] when you become a mom!!!"

One of my friends said almost exactly this to me recently. She has a biology degree. I don't know wtf. I know she vaccinated her kid but thought my opinions on the subject didn't matter because I don't have a kid (just a couple of dogs which I have vaccinated, btw!).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Glimm posted:

One of my friends said almost exactly this to me recently. She has a biology degree. I don't know wtf. I know she vaccinated her kid but thought my opinions on the subject didn't matter because I don't have a kid (just a couple of dogs which I have vaccinated, btw!).

You monster- your dogs are gonna become goons autistic!

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Glimm posted:

I wouldn't say your opinion doesn't matter because you don't have kids. Indeed, in some ways it can help you make more rational decisions. My wife and I had our first child two days ago (paternity leave makes one browse the forums a lot) and my decision making has definitely changed a lot. If I wasn't so adamantly pro-vaccine beforehand I can definitely see how it could not make sense to put those terrifyingly long needles into your kid.

Emotional attachments are murder on your ability to think clearly. Just last week I had to put down my cat of 12 years because the procedure that only had a *chance* of fixing her was around $3000 and I'd set a limit of $1000 when she turned 10. I still agonized for a week on whether I could live with myself not taking the chance.

I guess what I'm meanderingly trying to say is that "smacking down" people isn't necessarily the best attitude, particularly if you don't have children. If it comes across at all patronizing, you're done.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's a reason that surgeons shouldn't treat family members and that when lawyers get in trouble, they hire a lawyer.

Not only is your judgment compromised, there are manipulative people who want to take advantage of that compromised judgment to make money.

I recommend to any parent, find someone you can trust, who has extensive medical knowledge. key terms to look for are "pediatrician" or "Medical Doctor" or even "Doctor of Pharmacy."

Avoid "Doctor of Philosophy," "Doctor of Chiropractic" or "Doctor of Divinity" none of those doctors are medical doctors and they aren't qualified to give medical advice.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Its sunday, and I'm questioning all the terrible mistakes I've made with my life! Here's another! This week in LL101

Because being able to reach people is the same as being able to kill them.

And thats why farmers domesticated the snake! Wait......

Also, why the gently caress did they choose an edited picture of a donkey?

"Compromise is bad because we think you're all evil and want to kill us all" - People who are trying to portray themselves as rational and calm.

And extra points for them admitting that they are sheep.

Oh goody. Grammar Nazi's

Well, at least they're consistent, and they have some standards. They will carefully check everything they post to mke sure its all spelled correctly.

loving kicking myself for being late on this, cause according to the comments, when they uploaded this thing, they wrote is as "...a fully belly and an empty soul."

So they edited the image. But yeah, Obamacare is all terrible because one twitter message had a typo.

"And its Wall Streets Job to make sure you can't"

....the only way these could even be remotely similar at all is if it was a liberal speaker refusing to come to a right wing event. And even then, speakers are free to reject events they don't want to do for whatever reason. The gently caress?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Fulchrum posted:

....the only way these could even be remotely similar at all is if it was a liberal speaker refusing to come to a right wing event. And even then, speakers are free to reject events they don't want to do for whatever reason. The gently caress?

I hadn't heard about this news about my alma mater, but according to Google, Rice was chosen as a commencement speaker for May 2013 but requested to delay her appearance until this year. Some liberal students and faculty are upset about her selection.

The dumbest thing is that the 'event' these libtard students are free not to attend is their own loving graduation. That's exactly the same as being told to make cakes for everybody, even gays.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How many cake decorators oppose gay marriage, anyway?

How many straight cake decorators are there, even?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

loving kicking myself for being late on this, cause according to the comments, when they uploaded this thing, they wrote is as "...a fully belly and an empty soul."

So they edited the image. But yeah, Obamacare is all terrible because one twitter message had a typo.

LL has a point, I'd rather starve to death with a full soul than have enough to eat by selling out.

Wait, no I wouldn't. That's the exact opposite of what I would want. LL should go around to his city's homeless and hold out food to them, then say "Nah, actually you should value your full soul more than the food you could literally be eating right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VideoTapir posted:

How many cake decorators oppose gay marriage, anyway?

How many straight cake decorators are there, even?

It was a convenient talking point to harp on ARE FREEDUMZ!!!!! and little else. I'm pretty sure 99% of cake decorators would be all "thanks for the money, here have a cake."