Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
:bsdsnype:

uncurable mlady posted:

why do they care about overstock ads, i've never seen one mention bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FrozenVent posted:

overstock basically *is* bitcoin until they go bankrupt so stop spreading fud

right with the exchanges in the toilet i wonder if in any corner of the world there's someone trying to cash out by buying five thousand tables and reselling them on craigslist or something.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lollllll

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

cargo cultin the poo poo out of bitcoin

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

uncurable mlady posted:

why do they care about overstock ads, i've never seen one mention bitcoin
people buying things from overstock with filthy fiat still helps keep them solvent which is unironically good for bitcoin v:shobon:v

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://soundcloud.com/blackgryph0n/butt-blackgryph0n

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FrozenVent posted:

heille avez-vous finis avec l'osti de russe?

my french still sucks, but would this read pretty much as "hey have you finished with all the russian poo poo?"

osti is a sacre right? i don't get how a biblical word like bapteme or osti can be like a curse word.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

...! posted:

I figured while I was trying to decide what to do next I would enjoy my beverage and buy some mBTC just to see the ATM work. How difficult could it be? The ATM askee me for my phone number, which I was ok with giving out. I do respect those who want pure anonymity, but I'm only slightly annoyed by the privacy issue here. The machine immediately texted me a code. I entered the code and was asked for 4 copies of my palm print.... fine, I did it. Then I was asked for my government issurd id card. Seriously? Now I'm getting leary, but I really want to complete what I started. So it reads my id and politely tells me to go away and come back in 5 minutes. I simultaneously receive a text stating the same thing. I received that at 10:17am CST.

Not a big deal, I get time to enjoy my coffee and explore the map sites... meanwhile, i watched multiple people check out the atm, mumble about privacy/authoritarian government and walk away without using the atm at all. at 10:19 I get a text informing me that it will take longer than 5 minutes and has gone to manual processing. No ETA was given. I got frustrated and left having accomplished nothing more than having my privacy violated. I did get a text at 11:43am letting me know it was done and could use the atm now.

bitcoin's so fast and easy! it only took an hour and a half to complete a transaction, as opposed to regular atms where you have to wait for days and allow the bank to rectal identity map you.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

my french still sucks, but would this read pretty much as "hey have you finished with all the russian poo poo?"

osti is a sacre right? i don't get how a biblical word like bapteme or osti can be like a curse word.

it's québécois(with grammar errors) more than french.
i can only think of tabernacle and ostie as biblical curse words.
e:your translation is p. much okay

vvv
idgi

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 16, 2014

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

isn't "pepsi" an insult to quebecois?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Pepsi is an insult to anyone with taste.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
welp my dad asked me about butts

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Greed is eternal posted:

welp my dad asked me about butts

"well, now dad, when an autistic and a computer really love each other..."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

"well, now dad, when an autistic and a computer really love each other..."

"they post on YOSPOS, but about buttcoins:"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

my dad and i used to talk about bit coin a lot -- he knew a lot about history, finance and economies so he was fascinated by all the spectacular and constant worldview failings of coiners as i would update him on the latest

:unsmith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sweevo posted:

isn't "pepsi" an insult to quebecois?

sorta but it's a bit archaic

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
felt a bit surreal when he asked if i thought Dorian Nakamoto was the bitcoin creator. he didnt know Dorian was a model railroad dork though. thankfully i still know more abou butts than my dad.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

...! posted:

[–]xygo 7 points 3 hours ago

Reminds me of Linux. Nobody apart from geeks wanted to use it, despite the fact it was a superior O/S. And now everybody uses Android.

jfc

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever

FrozenVent posted:

sorta but it's a bit archaic

hein? sti que j'ai jamais entendu parler de ça.

has anyone said pepsicoin yet

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
so /r/bitcoin is pretty much the pump part of the pump and dump

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dren posted:

so /r/bitcoin is pretty much the pump part of the pump and dump

and gibbis is the dump yes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

and gibbis is the dump yes

the bitcoin thread in GBS is a bad thread

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

wit posted:

the thread in GBS is a bad thread

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

wit posted:

GBS is bad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

wit posted:

the bitcoin thread in GBS is a bad thread

yes that was :thejoke:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

also quebecois

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

[–]xygo 7 points 3 hours ago

Reminds me of Linux. Nobody apart from geeks wanted to use it, despite the fact it was a superior O/S. And now everybody uses Android.
your operating or system is a piece of poo poo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sham bam bamina! posted:

your operating or system is a piece of poo poo

im thinking of a new subforum now

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Bitcoin: Forced, yes, but guiding the blind towards the light can't be bad.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Robawesome posted:

What are your feelings on Xapo's insured vault? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 17 minutes ago by goodnews_everybody

I'm thinking of depositing some Bitcoins in it, but there sure are a lot of spelling errors on their site. It also seems that their address is in Palo Alto, but they're incorporated in Hong Kong.

Those seem like red flags to me. But their CEO used to run Lemon which was certainly legitimate.

Do you think their vault is safe?
Latest Bitcoin Craze? Actual Bank Vaults
Startup Xapo Raises $20 Million to Store Digital Currency Underground

By EVELYN M. RUSLI
Updated March 13, 2014 4:01 p.m. ET

Bitcoin was supposed to be a frictionless digital currency that required no banks or intermediaries.

Yet a raft of bitcoin thefts at exchanges like Mt. Gox is raising the question of whether the sophisticated currency still needs the same sort of physical security infrastructure—impenetrable steel vaults, armed security guards, and even paper ledgers—as cash and gold.

A Silicon Valley startup called Xapo is among a handful of young companies trying to become the Fort Knox of bitcoin, building secret bank vaults deep in the earth that would safely store millions of dollars worth of bitcoin code on computer drives. And if modern bank robbers still manage to pry open the vault? Xapo promises to fully insure all deposits.

On Wednesday, Xapo said it raised $20 million in funding led by venture-capital firm Benchmark, to support a network of underground vaults that the company says are in mountainous regions on multiple continents.

To break in, would-be robbers would have to face armed security guards, biometric scanners and a 24/7 video surveillance system. The company says it currently stores bitcoins for roughly 2,000 clients—many of which are hedge funds, family offices and other financial institutions.

"Trust in the participants, trust in the technology, trust in the ecosystem as a whole—this is a really important block for the bitcoin ecosystem," said Matt Cohler, a partner at Benchmark, which invested in Xapo alongside Fortress Investment Group and Ribbit Capital.

With Xapo, a customer uploads bitcoins to a unique address. The bitcoins' private keys, the secret data used to send funds, are encrypted and stored on physical hard drives and on paper, which are then placed in Xapo's vaults.

When a customer wants to transfer funds from the vault to their "wallet," an authorized Xapo employee must first confirm the transaction by taking several steps to verify the identity of the user. Once a day, these authorized employees descend into the vault to fetch the private keys to execute the transactions.

According to the company, the code is secured in such a way that it is "mathematically unfeasible" for a third party to read it. Transactions are completed in 24 hours or less.

Unlike credit-card transactions, bitcoins aren't safeguarded by consumer protections, so if they are stolen, no laws or intermediary firms can help recover the losses.

Xapo says its vaults are backed by an insurance company, to protect against physical theft or malfeasance by Xapo's employees. It doesn't, however, protect against user recklessness, such as sharing their passwords with others.

Xapo's Vault product charges a 0.12% annual fee for each deposit. Its Wallet product, which allows people to send or accept bitcoins, doesn't charge any fees for transactions.

Other companies are trying to provide similar services. Coinbase, for example, one of the largest bitcoin exchanges, stores as much as 97% of customer information offline, according to its website.

The San Francisco company also stores sensitive information on servers that are completely untethered to the Internet. But Coinbase doesn't fully insure users against losses. Elliptic Enterprises Ltd., a British company, says it provides a bitcoin vault that offers insurance for a cost.

Whether these depositories are completely impenetrable by hackers remains to be seen, but the companies say they are a necessity after the shutdown of several bitcoin exchanges.

Last month, one of the largest, Mt. Gox in Tokyo, lost nearly half a billion dollars of bitcoins after a hacking attack, fanning fears that other exchanges could be vulnerable to attack.

A few days later, Canadian exchange Flexcoin said it was shutting down after hackers stole hundreds of thousands of dollars in bitcoins.

The attacks have rattled the nascent industry. After hitting a peak price of more than $1,100 in November, the value of bitcoin is now hovering around $600.

"Bitcoin today is like the Internet before the browser—it was very hard to use," said Wences Casares, the 40-year-old founder and chief executive of Xapo, which has been working on its vaults for two years. "The first problem is ease of use—it's not user friendly enough—and second, is security-service providers have lost bitcoin in one way or another."

For Mr. Casares, born to Patagonian sheep ranchers in Argentina, the campaign to secure bitcoin is as much personal as it is professional.

His country has long been racked by dramatic fluctuations of its currency, the Argentine peso. "My family had lost everything, several times, from inflation, to devaluation and confiscation," he said.

Mr. Casares has devoted most of his career to creating financial products.

He developed Patagon, one of Argentina's first online financial-services firms, which was acquired by Banco Santander for $750 million.

He also founded Banco Lemon, a Brazilian bank for the underbanked, which was later sold to Banco de Brasil, and more recently Lemon.com, an online wallet, that was acquired this past December

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly if i were argentinian trying not to lose my assets i would probably just buy more goats and land and poo poo not make up a buttcoin startup.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
did the grey forums just get all messed up?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret posted:

did the grey forums just get all messed up?
no they've been poo poo for years

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

no they've been poo poo for years

yes but also according to qcs some people are seeing a hosed up stylesheet

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Base Emitter posted:

yes but also according to qcs some people are seeing a hosed up stylesheet