Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

webdevs :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm considering speaking at an inner-city public library about how bitcoin can help you if you don't use banks. Any suggestions? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 hours ago by tzadikv

[–]tzadikv[S] 1 point 6 hours ago

I want to focus on practical uses... online shopping... saving without keeping lots of cash in the house.... sending money to relatives in other cities... joining localbitcoins and becoming a trader.... ????

[–]iaglia 6 points 5 hours ago

so you're going to tell a bunch of poor people to put their money into a highly volatile currency? lovely

[–]tzadikv[S] -2 points 4 hours ago

You're right. It's better to have all your assets in a currency that loses about 3% every year than one that tends to go up in value an order of magnitude each year because a certain loss is better than "volatility". And it's also better to be at constant risk of having your life savings wiped out by any burglar who can get through your window. And it's better to have to pay middlemen a large fee every time you want to move that money to someone that's not right next to you

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I've taken down the ads on my website in favor of bitcoin donations. 6 days later, what I've learned so far. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 10 minutes ago by astrowilliam

6 days ago I posted (http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/202pts/im_taking_the_ads_off_my_popular_website_and/) about taking all the ads off my website ( http://www.spaceindustrynews.com ) and replacing them with donation links for BTC. I plan on doing this for 6 months and at that time if I'm not making enough money to keep the servers up I'll have to switch back to a traditional model.

Here's a recap of what has happened and what I've learned so far from my experience.

I've received some very positive feedback about my move away from traditional advertising to a donation based format. I've been contacted by numerous people in the industry ( NASA, etc. ) about this. They are truly intrigued and didn't really understand how I was going to keep the lights on.

The BTC community has been overwhelmingly supportive through this transition as well. I've gotten so many PMs from people that have built systems for easier BTC integration and I'm truly grate for that.

Mind you, this is all still very much an experiment and will continue until I run out of money for hosting.

I know what you're thinking, how much BTC has been donated so far?

Day 1: I received 0.0125 BTC which equals ~ $8.00 USD.

Day 2: 0.0015 BTC = ~ $0.95 USD

Day 3: 0.00 BTC = $0.00USD

Day 4: 0.00 BTC = $0.00USD

Day 5: 0.00 BTC = $0.00USD

Day 6: 0.00 BTC = $0.00USD

There are probably a few reasons for this. One is that after the initial post moved down the page less BTC influencers were coming to the site. My normal audience comes from links and Google so who knows if they user BTC at all.

This news doesn't halt me one bit. I'm in this for a while and will continue doing what is right and what is good.

Like I said before, this is still only a few days old so there will be design changes, traffic changes. I'm still 100% behind BTC!!!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Robawesome posted:

The BTC community has been overwhelmingly supportive through this transition as well.

I'm still 100% behind BTC!!!!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Robawesome posted:

I've taken down the ads on my website in favor of bitcoin donations. 6 days later, what I've learned so far. (self.Bitcoin)

6 days ago I posted (http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/202pts/im_taking_the_ads_off_my_popular_website_and/) about taking all the ads off my website ( http://www.spaceindustrynews.com ) and replacing them with donation links for BTC. I plan on doing this for 6 months and at that time if I'm not making enough money to keep the servers up I'll have to switch back to a traditional model.

Here's a recap of what has happened and what I've learned so far from my experience.

I've received some very positive feedback about my move away from traditional advertising to a donation based format. I've been contacted by numerous people in the industry ( NASA, etc. ) about this. They are truly intrigued and didn't really understand how I was going to keep the lights on.

The BTC community has been overwhelmingly supportive through this transition as well. I've gotten so many PMs from people that have built systems for easier BTC integration and I'm truly grate for that.

Mind you, this is all still very much an experiment and will continue until I run out of money for hosting.

There are probably a few reasons for this. One is that after the initial post moved down the page less BTC influencers were coming to the site. My normal audience comes from links and Google so who knows if they user BTC at all.

This news doesn't halt me one bit. I'm in this for a while and will continue doing what is right and what is good.

Like I said before, this is still only a few days old so there will be design changes, traffic changes. I'm still 100% behind BTC!!!!

i closed the hole at the bottom of the sales funnel, it's going great

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Robawesome posted:

They are truly intrigued and didn't really understand how I was going to keep the lights on.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol what the gently caress is with this 3d poo poo in the gray forums did i just wake up in 2003 again

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

Greed is eternal posted:

welp my dad asked me about butts

my dads first email to me about bitcoin was asking me my opinion on it

his second was linking me mtgox crashing and laughing at bitcoiners

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

apparently bitcoin showed up in the papers my parents get and i summarized it as "its stupid nerd crap, continue to disregard"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phoenixan posted:

lol what the gently caress is with this 3d poo poo in the gray forums did i just wake up in 2003 again
remember radium? he's back. but with bitcoins.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
so is bitpay in the throes of happening? i got a busy week coming up, i can't spend time on happenings, can we delay it?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Robawesome posted:

man, i didn't realize lowtax was getting so desperate

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Needless to say, I do not agree. I am not going to blather on the topic of just how wrong all this exceptionalist, jingo nonsense is. Instead, I will make it short and sweet :

To better understand each other : it’s not the case that a proposition bet in the millions is either rare or exceptional on Bitbetv. It may be a rare thing in Vegas, and generally for the fiat world, but we’re rich, and we’re powerful, and this sort of stuff is both common and unremarkable over here.

What’s remarkable, however, is that the yearly compensations of such luminaries as Kenneth Chenault, chairman, CEO and chief-everything of American Express (a company with gross revenue of 33 billion dollars over 153 billion in assets) comes to about fifteen million all told. That’s going to be 1k BTC if he’s lucky.

So, dear people who go around in buggies, clad in pelts, washing your hands in ash : you come home and tell the missus you’re “an investment banker” ? You tell girls in bars you “work on Wall Street” ? How much do you make ? When is the last time you landed a multi million dollar bonus ? What are your odds of landing a multi million dollar bonus this year ?

Here it is.

This beautiful painting was made by Stuart Herod, who accepts comissions. Originally I was going to close with a shot of Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross, but the lions won.

The lions always win.

quote:

Bitcoin to surpass Berkshire as an investment

Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) recently traded above $185000 per share.

The retrospective 30-day average USD price per Bitcoin was 591.97451730 BTC according to Bitstamp and 581.75152994 BTC according to BTC-e which on a volume basis average to 588.052722483 USD per BTC.

This means the value of one BRK-A share in Bitcoin is currently around 314.59764223 BTC.

This bet resolves as No if the NYSE:BRK-A share trades at all points during normal trading hours on March 16th, 2015 over the USD value of 314.59764223 Bitcoin, calculated by taking the 30-day price average of the top two Bitcoin exchanges active on March 13th ( excluding known scams bucket shops and any other fictitious entities ) and averaging them on a volume basis for the past 30 days.

This bet resolves as Yes otherwise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
What’s remarkable, however, is that the yearly compensations of such luminaries as Kenneth Chenault, chairman, CEO and chief-everything of American Express (a company with gross revenue of 33 billion dollars over 153 billion in assets) comes to about fifteen million all told. That’s going to be 1k BTC if he’s lucky.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

bitcoiners don't seem to understand that unless all your holdings are in dollars, your assets will still retain their value regardless of the currency used. if bitcoin becomes the de facto currency of the world (lol), my farmland or your apple stock or Kenneth Chenault's stock portfolio will still be worth about the same

also, no one in the world is going to let a bunch of nerds hold the vast majority of all of the world's wealth just because they were on the ground floor. in fact, the fact that only a few people hold so much wealth in bitcoin is yet another reason it wouldn't be widely adopted. who would willingly join such a rigged game?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

The lions always win.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140108-west-african-lions-endangered-conservation-science/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cantorsdust posted:

bitcoiners don't seem to understand that
their unrealized gains are the result of a massive, speculative bubble

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

( excluding known scams bucket shops and any other fictitious entities )

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoiners don't understand: *

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Space is amazing and should be free to share, that's why we don't have ads. Help keep it free by contributing. Donate Bitcoin!

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

[–]telepatheic 8 points 6 days ago
On my website I accept bitcoin tips and I have adverts, I get about $1 per thousand page views so about $5 per thousand visitors. Since I put up a Bitcoin tipping address I have received $250 from Google and $0 from Bitcoin

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Needless to say, I do not agree. I am not going to blather on the topic of just how wrong all this exceptionalist, jingo nonsense is. Instead, I will make it short and sweet :

To better understand each other : it’s not the case that a proposition bet in the millions is either rare or exceptional on Bitbetv. It may be a rare thing in Vegas, and generally for the fiat world, but we’re rich, and we’re powerful, and this sort of stuff is both common and unremarkable over here.

So, dear people who go around in buggies, clad in pelts, washing your hands in ash : you come home and tell the missus you’re “an investment banker” ? You tell girls in bars you “work on Wall Street” ? How much do you make ? When is the last time you landed a multi million dollar bonus ? What are your odds of landing a multi million dollar bonus this year ?

Here it is.

This beautiful painting was made by Stuart Herod, who accepts comissions. Originally I was going to close with a shot of Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross, but the lions won.

The lions always win.

i'm the lack of accounting for market cap and number of shares outstanding

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

bitcoiners don't seem to understand that unless all your holdings are in dollars, your assets will still retain their value regardless of the currency used. if bitcoin becomes the de facto currency of the world (lol), my farmland or your apple stock or Kenneth Chenault's stock portfolio will still be worth about the same

they believe that fiat one percenters hold cash the way they hold bitcoins, because they are ignorant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is "the lions always win" some new line from Wolf of Wall Street

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Nessus posted:

Is "the lions always win" some new line from Wolf of Wall Street

no idea what the wolf of wall street is about, but shouldn't the wolves be winning then?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

libertarians and conservatives are loving allergic to owing people money

i remember i used to just be nice and buy a couple wendys frostys for the 2-3 ppl in the last job that liked them, and they would literally drop everything and start digging for change to pay me back on the spot. one guy went to an ATM once. dude its ok they were 99 cents each

pages behind but people are weird about taking money in general. the protestant work ethic and a desire to show how well off you are fucks people over.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:wtc:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LongDarkNight posted:

what is "!important" and how does it effect the forums?

css style declarations have specificity: styles with more specific selectors override styles with less specific selectors. !important declarations can be used to override non-!important declarations even if the non-!important declarations have a higher specificity.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

css style declarations have specificity: styles with more specific selectors override styles with less specific selectors. !important declarations can be used to override non-!important declarations even if the non-!important declarations have a higher specificity.

you sure it isn't a virus to steal my wallet.dat?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

you sure it isn't a virus to steal my wallet.dat?

only if you're not !important

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Here are some of the best bitcion jokes I could find on the Internet. I must admit, they are not that great. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 27 minutes ago by RJSchex

I asked a hooker if she accepted bitcoin. She told me no because it goes up and down more than she does.

A bitcoin hippie says, I cannot wait for the next network difficulty change to get high on hash.

A guy is on a roof above Wall St. with a central banker. Guy says "Did you know Bitcoin is so amazing it not only could transform finance, it has actually transformed air currents?" Banker is skeptical, Guy continues "No, really, watch -- the air currents on Wall Street below are such that I can jump off this tall building and they will blow me right back here safely." Sure enough, the guy jumps off the high roof, a moment later there is a whoosh sound and he's back on his feet. He demonstrates it a couple more times to the skeptical central banker. Finally the banker decides to try....he leaps off the roof.....only to promptly crash to the ground breaking his legs. As they put him in the ambulance he asks why the air current didn't save him and what happened. The EMT answers "Oh man, that guy on the roof is Superman, only thing he loves more than Bitcoin is messing with central bankers."

I'm pretty sure all the alt coins are a joke

What kind of car will you never see a bitcoiner driving? A: A Fiat Panda

What you call a cross between a Bitcoin And a Litecoin? A Bacon Letters and Tomato Coin. BLTCoin

Bitcoin seems to be the one enterprise where the gamblers want to invest in capital equipment and solve difficult math while the statistically minded want to gamble on an item with wild price swings.

The trollbox

fiat

Q: Why did the hipster Bitcoin miner burn out his GPU. A: He was mining before it was cool.

We'll start shipping in two weeks.

What's the difference between a blind man using a map and a truckload of BFL Jalapeños? The blind man has a chance of finding a block.

How many miners does it take to change a light bulb? A million, one miner to change it, and a million miners running in circles to determine who gets to do it.

How about the answer: A million - one to do it and the rest to verify he did it.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

...! posted:

Bacon Letters and Tomato

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

...! posted:

Here are some of the best bitcion jokes I could find on the Internet. I must admit, they are not that great. (self.Bitcoin)

the best bitcoin joke is bitcoin

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

the best bitcoin joke is bitcoin

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

...! posted:

A guy is on a roof above Wall St. with a central banker. Guy says "Did you know Bitcoin...." the banker leaps off the roof

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

dorian nakamoto couldn't have made bitcoin, he's too broke for internet access.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

One World Currency (Dollar + Bitcoin + GLID) (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by micheldegeofroy

Many people are saying that Bitcoin will eventually dethrone the USD as the world "reserve" currency others are believe that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme or that it was created / invented by the NSA. Most talk without really understanding Bitcoin and especially the revolution that the distributed ledger Blockchain represents. At the very least it is the most disruptive invention since the internet and it may have common origins.

Some may know that the internet genesis happened in 1962 as the "Galactic Network" concept as described in memos written by J.C.R. Licklider of MIT who incidentally or not was head of the computer research program at DARPA. The internet created the biggest giant surveillance grid for the NSA to spy on the world as the recent Snowden revelation outline. It is evident that apart from holding onto ICANN the USA controls the internet backbone which gives them strategic and economic advantage.

It widely believed that Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto is the inventor of Bitcoin and it's underlying technology but most miss the real question "Cui Bono" who profits from the existence of Bitcoin ? I would say the USA because it's the only entity with the power to take over Bitcoin with its Quantum supercomputers giving them a monopoly on bitcoin mining and because the USD is untouchable and will risk nothing from Bitcoin.

So if it is a DARPA project what is its use ? the answer is: to weaken all other world currencies so that in the end we will have Bitcoin because of it's superior qualities as a currency and the USD backed by the most powerful world army and the unit of purchase of petrol the dominant energy source.

It is interesting to note that gold has been substituted for military power to back the USD and that Russia instead of backing Bitcoin has made it illegal as a means of exchange in it's territory another indication that Bitcoin is a tool of the US government.

The next move will be to effectively merge Bitcoin and the US dollar into the One World Currency attach it one world biometric identity the precursor being the GLID (Greenlist ID).

One more step towards One World Government.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Dear Newsweek, You are wrong. The US Government invented bitcoin. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 15 minutes ago by bc2014

I just learned that the US Government wrote the Satoshi Nakamoto white paper using the pseudonym — Satoshi Nakamoto — because there were several Japanese mathematicians on the secret, bitcoin project and no Government employees with that not-uncommon, Japanese name. The public bitcoin version was extremely modified (e.g. public vs. private ledger, fixed supply, floating price, programmed mining difficulty, no registration, single vs. two-factor authentication, et al). I hope to be able to post here many supporting details as soon as I have permission from my source. Until then, I believe what I am telling you is true and credible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It feels like the price is going to explode any time, just feels like. Im not some smart guy with an explanation, so maybe downvoting is best but it's my feeling (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 26 minutes ago by webitthedust

• Locked thread