Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Have you checked the 40k wikia entry? Seems pretty comprehensive.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Knight

I've pretty much stuck to the Lexicanum when it comes to 40k fluff, but this is much more fleshed out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Deofuta posted:

Does anyone have some fluff regarding the Imperial Knights? What are they, who do they fight for, etc?

I've been browsing around but the Lexicanum seems to just have some short blurbs about them.

I have the Knight Companion book, it's nothing but fluff. The wikia article is a pretty decent compression of all that. It's overpriced but pretty damned awesome if you want gigantic painting refs and background. The coolest knight color-scheme wise is also a giant dick that rises out of the ocean and just fucks up everyone in his way, good or bad. His idea of doing a good deed was to rescue a disabled baneblade by picking it up and throwing it into the imperial camp crushing several small buildings (and occupants) in the process.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Weird question: if a Chapter Master wanted to lodge a formal complaint against another Chapter, who would he go to? The High Lords of Terra?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PantsOptional posted:

Weird question: if a Chapter Master wanted to lodge a formal complaint against another Chapter, who would he go to? The High Lords of Terra?

At that point it's all about personal political connections, spheres of power, and covert warfare. Most likely they just swear an Oath of Vengeance and unfurl a banner in the Hall of Remembrance about their Eternal Grievance against the treacherous Star Bears chapter or whatever.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

PantsOptional posted:

Don't know about another chapter but blood and fire has the celestial lions lodging a formal complaint against the inquisition through channels.

It did not go well for them

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Right, but I'm saying, what if they decide to do this one "by the books" or whatever, if there was such a thing.

EDIT: Hm. Interesting. I'll try to track down the bit about the Celestial Lions.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 24, 2014

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Probably depends on the complaint? If it was something along the lines of heresy they would probably give the Inquisition a call. Other than that though the Chapters seem rather insular and don't really answer to some formalized position. Because of that the answer will very from person to person, as Mechafunkzilla says.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 24, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In the end yes, but I suppose you should go first through the hierarchy of the Adeptus Terra, the Imperial Army or the Inquisition, depending of the type of complaint and the identity of both chapters. I think it's not the same complaining about how those guys are dicks as opposed to matters like "dude, I saw this chapter of adeptus astartes eating alive an entire company of sororitas" (true history) or something like "this astartes are hoarding and using chaos tainted artifacts" (true history, too). Also, it's not the same complaining about the Ultramarines (righteous bastards) or the Dark Angels (they don't give a gently caress).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

In the end yes, but I suppose you should go first through the hierarchy of the Adeptus Terra, the Imperial Army or the Inquisition, depending of the type of complaint and the identity of both chapters. I think it's not the same complaining about how those guys are dicks as opposed to matters like "dude, I saw this chapter of adeptus astartes eating alive an entire company of sororitas" (true history) or something like "this astartes are hoarding and using chaos tainted artifacts" (true history, too). Also, it's not the same complaining about the Ultramarines (righteous bastards) or the Dark Angels (they don't give a gently caress).

Is this the horrible mismanagement of the Grey Knights, and the Relictors, respectively?

EDIT: or maybe the first one is the Sons of Malice. And not to imply that the Relictors were mishandled.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

Is this the horrible mismanagement of the Grey Knights, and the Relictors, respectively?

EDIT: or maybe the first one is the Sons of Malice. And not to imply that the Relictors were mishandled.

The Grey Knights didn't eat the Sororitas, they just reaped their bodies and used their blood as a layer of Wards.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

PantsOptional posted:

Yup, Sons of Malice and Relictors, truly your nicest champions of mankind.

FrozenDorf posted:

The Grey Knights didn't eat the Sororitas, they just reaped their bodies and used their blood as a layer of Wards.

Haven't read that, where I can found this magnificent piece of literature?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just finished The Unremembered Empire. Not my favorite purchase, but not a bad book. On the one hand, an interesting look at the evolving politics of the Heresy and the ersatz Great Lighthouse that smells like Necron tech was interesting. On the other hand, not a whole lot actually happened and I think the whole Vulkan thing was dumb and pointless. An immortal primarch is an interesting idea, but Vulkan felt very dull and Curze like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Honestly, I think I'd like it a lot more if I didn't already know how the Heresy ends. The Imperium Secundus is an interesting idea, perhaps a hope of reform of the Imperium for the Emperor's less sound decisions and embracing some use of xenos tech.

As it is, the most interesting bit of the book to me was the excerpt from Scars at the end, specifically Malcador's implication that each of the primarchs was intended for some specific role or purpose.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PantsOptional posted:

Right, but I'm saying, what if they decide to do this one "by the books" or whatever, if there was such a thing.

EDIT: Hm. Interesting. I'll try to track down the bit about the Celestial Lions.

Honestly there probably is no formalized process for anything short of massive rebellion, especially given how insanely independent the astartes are. Possibly there is one but I bet the procedural stuff among the high lords is suitably byzantine and mutable. The Imperium seems to work a lot like all those second/third world dictatorships in the real world where every single branch of government has massively overlapping authority and it's mostly networks of informal power that bind the system together and resolve those conflicts.

So if one chapter had a grievance against another, they'd probably just take it up with each other directly and set up some sort of trial by combat or something. For bigger issues where the chapter masters aren't in agreement, they might find a mutually trusted mediator like another chapter (especially a more famous one like a first founding chapter) who would resolve the dispute through combat or trial or some other method. Or just avoid each other and hold a long-simmering grudge, possibly for generations. If that's not possible, then you'd likely see a whole lot of scheming to amass allies so as to pressure the other side to give in - favors called in in the inquisition, etc., but given how independent the chapters are - most are logistically nearly independent and have their own forges and such - this might be tricky anyway. An inquisitor could, I suppose, since they have theoretically unlimited authority but he'd have to ahve a lot of support both inside and outside the inquisition or else they'd probably either vote to overturn his decision, defrock him, or just have him killed for being so crazy as to take on an entire space marine chapter for anything less than blatant heresy. It also seems like the ecclesiarchy is also often brought in as an outside arbitrator to render judgement, judging from all the stories of penitential crusades and such in the sourcebooks.

PantsOptional posted:

I think it was the flesh tearers where their death company flipped out and killed a bunch of sororitas.

Angry Lobster posted:

Haven't read that, where I can found this magnificent piece of literature?

Codex Grey Knights. It's baaaad.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 25, 2014

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Cream_Filling posted:

Codex Grey Knights. It's baaaad.

I was hoping the capital W would be a dead giveaway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

So if one chapter had a grievance against another, they'd probably just take it up with each other directly and set up some sort of trial by combat or something.
See also: The Lion and The Wolf.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What did night lords have to say about the dude from lord of the night? I read night lords first and both a while ago

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Essentially Sahaal, as 1st captain, believes he has the best and most lasting claim to be the leader of the Night Lords. In his own book though, Talos claims that Sahaal betrayed the Night Lords by going after chapter relics instead of fighting during a particularly bad encounter with the Eldar. His claim more or less is equal to many other Night Lords who have obtained various relics that Curze had at one point or another.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 25, 2014

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Just finished The Unremembered Empire. Not my favorite purchase, but not a bad book. On the one hand, an interesting look at the evolving politics of the Heresy and the ersatz Great Lighthouse that smells like Necron tech was interesting. On the other hand, not a whole lot actually happened and I think the whole Vulkan thing was dumb and pointless. An immortal primarch is an interesting idea, but Vulkan felt very dull and Curze like a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

I found Vulkan entertaining in his crazy state, though there wasn't much more to him. Curze on the other hand, ugh. Yeah I just had a bunch of visions and in mere seconds laid a bunch of traps, as well as slaugthering everyone. Fighting two primarchs? Easy.

I liked the book as a whole, but the Curze segments really grated on me. Like trying to capture a killing Benny Hill.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Deofuta posted:

Essentially Sahaal, as 1st captain, believes he has the best and most lasting claim to be the leader of the Night Lords. In his own book though, Talos claims that Sahaal betrayed the Night Lords by going after chapter relics instead of fighting during a particularly bad encounter with the Eldar. His claim more or less is equal to many other Night Lords who have obtained various relics that Curze had at one point or another.

It is interesting that this doubles as a criticism of the standard story plotting as well. So so many BL stories (and other franchise fiction stories in various IPs) are MacGuffin chasers that focus on the MacGuffin rather than the chasers. Gotta get that artifact! It is lazy plotting that misses the point of what makes a good story - in a good MacGuffin chase (eg The Maltese Falcon) the thing that makes the protagonist shine is what they do to get the MacGuffin, not whether they get it or not (Sam Spade didn't get the falcon). MacGuffins are there to provide a base framework so you can focus on other parts of the story (usually character development) not focus on how great and awesome the MacGuffin is and how having it will automatically make your character great and awesome.

The Last Crusade is a great example of this as proper use in storytelling. The Nazis are chasing the grail because they think having it will make them great. Indiana Jones shows that the only way to get the grail is to already be great, and that ultimately he doesn't need the grail because it is who he is, not what he has that makes him worthy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ElPedro posted:

I found Vulkan entertaining in his crazy state, though there wasn't much more to him. Curze on the other hand, ugh. Yeah I just had a bunch of visions and in mere seconds laid a bunch of traps, as well as slaugthering everyone. Fighting two primarchs? Easy.

I liked the book as a whole, but the Curze segments really grated on me. Like trying to capture a killing Benny Hill.

Someone here pointed out that Kurze and Vulkan basically combined the plots and setpieces of Terminator 1 and 2 and set them on Ultramar, with each of them playing the part of Ahnold as needed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hi guys, two questions:
What are the best names of the Iron Hands books? I've searched for them but can't find the titles.
And what are the names of the books about Tyranid invasions?

I've heard good things about both of these and have wanted to check them out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

krushgroove posted:

Hi guys, two questions:
What are the best names of the Iron Hands books? I've searched for them but can't find the titles.

The Iron Hands book is Wrath of Iron. It's really good. There's also a few short stories and a really old novel but I have no idea if any of them are worthwhile.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ciaphas Cain has a lot of Tyranids in between the other xenos and heretics.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Hi guys, two questions:

One of the Graham McNeil Ultramarines novels is about a Tyranid invasion. It's bad, but it's one of the better books in that omnibus. I think its Warriors of Ultramar.

Just hope you don't mind the adventures of Captain Genericus.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Iron Hands book is Wrath of Iron. It's really good. There's also a few short stories and a really old novel but I have no idea if any of them are worthwhile.

The old Iron Hands book was just called Iron Hands and it was written by Jonathon Green, it's garbage. Wrath of Iron is legit though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, thanks everyone, I'll check those out!

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Someone here pointed out that Kurze and Vulkan basically combined the plots and setpieces of Terminator 1 and 2 and set them on Ultramar, with each of them playing the part of Ahnold as needed.

Haha. I can't help but see the helicopter scene, as the one from Terminator 2 now.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wish the team responsible for the Dawn of War cinematics did a version of the fight between Angron and Russ in the Night of the Wolf. The episode of Lorgar digging whole buildings up with his mind, taking two titan-worthy loads of plasma cannon to the dome, and then having Angron climb up from the ruins to lift the Warlord's leg would make for a truly ball-shattering payoff.

I have a friend who works with making soundtracks for movies and he says he'd give his firstborn for the chance to score some moments of 40k literature.

(Yes, our priorites are all hosed up)

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sephyr posted:

I have a friend who works with making soundtracks for movies and he says he'd give his firstborn for the chance to score some moments of 40k literature.

I completely, totally, unironically 'get' this.

I remember hearing "The Planets:Mars, the Bringer of War" as a kid and I couldn't help picturing titans and 40k warfare. My parents thought I was an oddly cultured kid, but the reality was I that I was picturing pew pew battles while listening to this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTByW8NElo

If you don't hear this track from 4:30 onward and think "Imperial Titans marching" then you don't deserve to be a 40k fan.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Dog_Meat posted:

If you don't hear this track from 4:30 onward and think "Imperial Titans marching" then you don't deserve to be a 40k fan.

The title would be a pretty good wink if it accompanied Mechanicus stuff.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Dog_Meat posted:

It really does sound like Imperial Stormtroopers marching, doesn't it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

FrozenDorf posted:

It really does sound like Imperial Stormtroopers marching, doesn't it.

Listening to the whole track I was surprised to hear how much of it has been stolen by other movie scores. Star Wars seems to crib a lot of the quieter bits, James Horner's Aliens score during the dropship escape uses the same structure, Conan uses a lot of it.

Maybe the Emperor wrote it :tinfoil:

I seriously want to watch a movie of the battle for terra with epic music now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dog_Meat posted:

I remember hearing "The Planets:Mars, the Bringer of War" as a kid and I couldn't help picturing titans and 40k warfare. My parents thought I was an oddly cultured kid, but the reality was I that I was picturing pew pew battles while listening to this stuff.

Sorry, Titans already got their soundtrack covered. Clicky.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VanSandman posted:

Sorry, Titans already got their soundtrack covered. Clicky.

What the hell is that from ?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

mllaneza posted:

What the hell is that from ?

Pacific Rim, a movie that came out in 2013.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

Listening to the whole track I was surprised to hear how much of it has been stolen by other movie scores. Star Wars seems to crib a lot of the quieter bits, James Horner's Aliens score during the dropship escape uses the same structure, Conan uses a lot of it.

Maybe the Emperor wrote it :tinfoil:

I seriously want to watch a movie of the battle for terra with epic music now.

The problem with John Williams is that he took a lot of what people consider iconic Star Wars themes from classical music. The Imperial March and a lot of the Imperial themes are almost directly "borrowed" from Mars, Bringer of War. I'm not sure how people in the classical music community deal with "sampling" on that scale, but pop artists have been sued into the ground for a lot less.

When I was much younger, I though one of the early Obituary albums (I can't remember which one) would have made a killer soundtrack for 40K. One of the songs started off really slow and chunky, then led up to a pause where all of a sudden, all hell breaks loose.

To me, I would see an Imperial Guard (the old school Necromundan IG) deployment zone, where the IG are just kind of milling around, waiting for orders. The camera is just kind of panning though the scene, and the focus goes to a Rough Rider who is brushing down his horse. The horse gets spooked, and the Rough Rider looks up - in the reflection of his goggles, we see a group of Stormbirds/troop carriers, which begin to disgorge hordes of World Eaters and Berzerkers with flight packs, who proceed tear into the panicked IG and just completely destroy them.

In my head, it was pretty drat cool. I wish I could remember the song so I could see if I would get the same vision in my head today.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dog_Meat posted:

This is all I can think of when it comes to that song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjj7Y9N27c

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Speaking of 40k related music, Chaos Gate had a killer soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krdISG8U3Zk

Nothing feels more 40k than opressive and ominous pseudo-latin chanting. Be sure to check song 5 for the infamous Ultramarines chant.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014
Anyone remember the old GW-themed Bolt Thrower stuff? I can't be the only person who liked that... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Bolt Thrower is the poo poo and if I end up playing the crapfest MMO you can bet it will be on full blast the whole time.