Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

also how the hell can you gently caress up the perspective of things on the very picture that is most famous for its use of perspective

Raaaaaargh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
you can see the logo better this way

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

oh good i'm not the only one. i get a headache staring at it too long
i believe this is the "crazy genius commentary on bitcoin" part

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Missing coins, some help required (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 13 seconds ago by josh9961

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, and if it's not could you please direct me to somewhere more appropriate. Last night I purchased 0.2BTC using bitbargain, a service I have successfully used before. The transaction completed and my BTC arrived in my wallet on bitbargain. I then sent them to my local wallet on my PC, giving me a total of 0.2599 BTC. I have just opened my local wallet (multibit) to find the wallet is missing the 0.2 BTC i bought last night. There is no record of the transaction in my multibit transactions tab, however I do have a block number and a transaction code on bitbargain for when I sent the coins to my multibit wallet. Can someone please help me get my BTC back? I'm relatively new to this, this was only the second time I'd purchased BTC and I'm a little lost here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
the "help me get back my stolen bitcoins!" posts will always be funny because i know they never work

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Could we crowd fund a 100% renewable energy bitcoin mining facility? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago* by gonzobon

Solar/Wind/Geothermal/etc

Demonstrating as a proof of concept an all in one facility that not only builds, recycles, and develops it's own ASICS.

As small a carbon impact as possible.

I know there's already some geothermal mining facilities going on. But the prospect seems fun to make them as self sustaining as possible.

I have no idea if such a thing is feasible. But the idea is a mostly self-sustaining mining facility that imports only what it needs.

Showing the world that it's not wasteful would be helpful to long term plans. Even though the costs of the mining pales in comparison to our current financial system.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

The Bitcoin Jar - social game powered by bitcoin TIPS - [Your feedback is appreciated] (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago by TheBitcoinJar

Hello,

We are working on The Bitcoin Jar's project and we would love to hear the feedback from You! Here is the short description but you will find more at our website [https://www.thebitcoinjar.com] and at BitcoinTalk forum [project development].

Our project is simple: every business in the world will be able to set up a loyalty Jar at our website to collect bitcoin TIPS. The Jar owner chooses the Jar’s capacity and describes amount of goods or services available for free at his place when the Jar breaks. The Jar breaks when the total value of the bitcoin TIPS exceeds the capacity. Free goods are then ready to be received and the Jar owner is allowed to withdraw all the TIPS. First customers who ask for a prize from the Jar will receive one thing for free unless different rules are established by the Jar owner at the Jar’s subpage. After that the fun starts over again!

Thank you The Bitcoin Jar's Team M.M

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Robawesome posted:

Could we crowd fund a 100% renewable energy bitcoin mining facility? (self.Bitcoin)

Demonstrating as a proof of concept an all in one facility that not only builds, recycles, and develops it's own ASICS.

I know there's already some geothermal mining facilities going on. But the prospect seems fun to make them as self sustaining as possible.

I have no idea if such a thing is feasible. But the idea is a mostly self-sustaining mining facility that imports only what it needs.

Showing the world that it's not wasteful would be helpful to long term plans. Even though the costs of the mining pales in comparison to our current financial system.

the "* but with bitcoin" site got on redit :ohdear:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

No word from NeoBee regarding the halting of shares is ridiculous and shows complete incompetence of management (self.neobee)

submitted 7 hours ago by motown88

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

"the compliance officer of Neo and Bee Ltd has stated" Neo announcement about halting of trading as relayed by Havelock (self.neobee)

submitted 42 minutes ago by JuicyGrabs

March 28th, 2014 - March 28, 2014 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Havelock Investments has been formally informed by the Pass-Through Fund Manager of NEOBEE that the compliance officer of Neo and Bee Ltd has stated that due to an increase of abnormal activity on the LMB share platform, there may be a high possibility of questionable trading activity. While Neo and Bee Ltd investigate the issue further they have strongly recommended that we halt trading and transfers. Havelock Investments has halted the NEOBEE fund and is awaiting further instructions from the issuer. https://www.havelockinvestments.com/fund.php?symbol=NEOBEE

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Robawesome posted:

"the compliance officer of Neo and Bee Ltd has stated" Neo announcement about halting of trading as relayed by Havelock (self.neobee)

March 28th, 2014 - March 28, 2014 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Havelock Investments has been formally informed by the Pass-Through Fund Manager of NEOBEE that the compliance officer of Neo and Bee Ltd has stated that due to an increase of abnormal activity on the LMB share platform, there may be a high possibility of questionable trading activity. While Neo and Bee Ltd investigate the issue further they have strongly recommended that we halt trading and transfers. Havelock Investments has halted the NEOBEE fund and is awaiting further instructions from the issuer. https://www.havelockinvestments.com/fund.php?symbol=NEOBEE

whoever wrote this needs to go back to grade school, goddamn that is terribly written. look at all those adverbs. look at that first sentence

has been formally informed that so-and-so has stated that... jesus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Robawesome posted:

while thats terribly written didnt this happen a few days ago?

e: oh lol just noticed its loving dated

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Bitcoin: a mostly self-sustaining mining facility that imports only what it needs

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Robawesome posted:

i'm waiting for when they will try to crowdfund a lunar mining vessel but with bitcoin, to show how much more efficient the bitcoin crowd is than fiat sponsored NASA

also to the moon i guess

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

also it's so easy

quote:

Help! Forgotten Multi-bit pasword (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 30 minutes ago by 2posh4grillz

Hi, Ive been using Multibit for a while now, and i just attempted to move my coins and my password is coming up as incorrect, i am FREAKING OUT.

Is there any way to reset a password without the original?

Failing that does anybody know the password requirements for multibit, e.g amount of letters/numbers needed?..

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Robawesome posted:

The Bitcoin Jar - social game powered by bitcoin TIPS - [Your feedback is appreciated] (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago by TheBitcoinJar

Hello,

We are working on The Bitcoin Jar's project and we would love to hear the feedback from You! Here is the short description but you will find more at our website [https://www.thebitcoinjar.com] and at BitcoinTalk forum [project development].

Our project is simple: every business in the world will be able to set up a loyalty Jar at our website to collect bitcoin TIPS. The Jar owner chooses the Jar’s capacity and describes amount of goods or services available for free at his place when the Jar breaks. The Jar breaks when the total value of the bitcoin TIPS exceeds the capacity. Free goods are then ready to be received and the Jar owner is allowed to withdraw all the TIPS. First customers who ask for a prize from the Jar will receive one thing for free unless different rules are established by the Jar owner at the Jar’s subpage. After that the fun starts over again!

Thank you The Bitcoin Jar's Team M.M

why do buttcoiners love tips so loving much

goddamn

our new just the tip based economy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

why do buttcoiners love tips so loving much

goddamn

it makes them feel rich and powerful

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013
Tax questions and speculation
Today at 12:16:51 AM

Reply with quote #1
Hey guys, so, I am trying to figure this out, and let me see if I have gathered this correctly. If I play by standard investment tax laws, if I sell all my bitcoins that I have paid for with fiat from Coinbase now and realize lets say a $5,000 loss of all the ones I've paid Fiat for in the past couple months, "realized" that loss, could I then buy back April 15 at the end of 2013 and 2014 Q1 tax season in order to get a temporary tax break?

After that I wouldn't plan on selling unless it would be to realize a temporary loss in order to buy back again.

Some tax experts on the subject would be appreciated, thanks!

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

text me

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
To the haters—have you actually ever even tried Bitcoin? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by cgcardona

Completely serious question to all the tulip mania and ponzi/pyramid scheme people out there—have you ever even tried bitcoin?

I realize that there are potentially several groups of people who hate/dislike/don't trust bitcoin

People who had the potential to get in early and missed it
People who got in early and got out too early
People representing 'The System/The Man'
People pumping other things (gold/silver, altcoins, good ole' fiat, etc)
Classic trolls/haterz who just have nothing better to do (sorry bastards)

But I honestly wonder how many of these people (sans #1 & #2) have actually ever even owned a single bitcoin.

Mining, owning, securing, buying, selling, and creating transactions are core to the bitcoin experience. If you've not done them then not only are you not at all authorized to speak but you're honestly missing out on something amazing.

There are so many things to learn and experience when you use bitcoin instead of hoarding it or dismissing it:

Transactions aren't instant (when factoring in confirmations)
Bitcoin isn't anonymous. It's pseudonymous at best and completely open at best/worst (depending on your viewpoint).
Security is HARD ™

FWIW I count myself in group #1 though of course I'm not a hater. I found out about btc in early 2011 on hacker news and was super jazzed for like 1 month. It was early in my software career and awareness and unfortunately I just didn't realize how fast and how far things would move. I didn't really commit and come on board til last year.

So feel free to blast me with downvotes but I'd like to hear back from anyone who usually hates in subreddit.

[–]cgcardona[S] 1 point 1 hour ago

I would say that you are missing part of the experience by not mining. Take $10 in btc and buy some cloud hashing at cex.io.

Just something that simple gives a better understanding of merge-mining, the difficulty rate, how often blocks are mined, etc.

At least it did for me.

[–]bittime 6 points 1 hour ago

Trolls own some bitcoin why you think they are here all the time.

[–]JustStopDude -1 points 2 hours ago

Man...I keep saying this to people whenever they give me poo poo about the stuff I bought on Silk Road.

Have you tried heroin? Its pretty loving awesome. I am getting pretty sick of assholes telling me its bad for me when they have never shot up before.

[–]cgcardona[S] 1 point 2 hours ago

btc != heroin

kthxbye

[–]cgcardona[S] 3 points 2 hours ago

Yes I agree. I just think I just kinda feel sad for people who only see the speculative potential w/ btc and miss the here and now of it.

Bitcoin is happening RIGHT NOW. There is no reason to wait until it's worth $100K a coin to appreciate it's true values.

Just assume that the speculative explosion is over and move about your day using bitcoin. Appreciate that we have a currency/property which is fluid/digital/trans-national and not backed (read manipulated) by any third parties.

I always think there are two types of people—those that think wealth is something you get and then sit on and those which think wealth is something you continuously create.

If you're a part of the second group then you're out there today building the kick-rear end bitcoin companies and services of tomorrow which will in turn make you plenty of bitcoin. You don't need to depend on sitting on it until it goes to $100K a coin because you'll have made that much from your work so it works out the same.

[–]cgcardona[S] 2 points 2 hours ago

You didn't answer my question. Have you ever owned or used any btc? If not then how can you speak so authoritatively?

[–]Aulico 1 point 5 minutes ago

When your'e really so smart, spend your time better and develop a cryptocurrency without the Bitcoin shortcommings and launch it, nobody is stopping you.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

RealityApologist posted:

I was digging through the SomethingAwful archives and found my first essay on the attention economy, written on April 5th, 2011. At the time, Bitcoin had yet to experience it's first bubble and was still trading below a dollar, and Occupy Wall Street was still five months in the future. If you don't have access to the archives, the thread which prompted this first write up was titled "No More Bitchin: Let's actually create solutions to society's problems!" Despite my reputation on this forum, I'm not interested in pop speculative futurism or idle technoidealism. I don't think there's an easy technological fix for our many difficult problems. But I do think that our technological circumstances have a dramatic impact on our social, political, and economic organizations, and that we can design technologies to cultivate human communities that are healthy, stable, and cooperative. The political and economic infrastructure we have for managing collective human action was developed at a time when individual rational agency formed the basis of all political theory, and in a networked digital age we can do much better. An attention economy doesn't solve all the problems, but it provides tools for addressing problems that simply aren't available with the infrastructure we have available today. My discussion of the attention economy was aimed at discussing social organization at this level of abstraction, with the hopes that taking this networked perspective on social action would reveal some of the tools necessary for addressing our problems. .

In the three years and multiple threads since that initial post, I've done research into the dynamics and organization of complex systems and taught myself some of the math and theory necessary for making the idea explicit and communicable. And in that time the field of data science has grown astronomically, making a variety of tools and theoretical resources available for modelling and predicting the dynamics of complex networks. In general, the public discourse has become much more comfortable thinking about attention and network dynamics and its implications. Some of that discussion is gross hype and misrepresentation, but some of it is really giving us unprecedented pictures of our collective behavior at large scales. And for this reason, more people have been articulating proposals that look quite a lot like the attention economy I've been describing. I'm not saying this vindicates my theory, but it suggests a possible convergence in in the direction I've been pointing.

In any case, if I was going to make a new thread I didn't want to just vomit out some more impotent rhetoric. Instead, I wanted to give a specific, proposal of limited scope that can be addressed on is own merits independent of whatever reputation I've developed. So I wrote up a proposal for a new digital currency.

quote:

Strangecoin: the nonlinear currency

In this post I sketch a proposal for a digital currency that works unlike other *coins that have recently become available. I'm calling it Strangecoin, both to highlight its uniqueness as a currency and as a reference to the strange attractor, a special kind of nonlinear system.

What's unique about Strangecoin?

Strangecoin transactions can be nonzero sum. A Strangecoin transaction might result in both parties having more Strangecoin.
Strangecoin transactions can be one-sided and can be conducted entirely by only one party to the transaction.
The rate of change of one's Strangecoin balance is a more important indicator of economic influence than the balance itself.
Optimal investment strategy in Strangecoin aims to stabilize one's balance of Strangecoin.
A universal account provides all users a basic Strangecoin income, effectively unlimited wealth, and direct feedback on the overall prosperity of the network.

I've only started thinking through the idea, and implementing it would take more technical expertise than I have alone. For instance, I'm not sure if Strangecoin can be implemented as an extension of the bitcoin protocol, or if some fundamentally new technology is required. If you know something about the technical details, I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you might know how to implement something like this, I'd love to help you try.

But since I don't know of anything else that works like this, this proposal is mostly intended simply to put the idea out there, in the hopes of encouraging others to think in these directions.

Background and Motivation

If I give you a dollar for a burger, then I've lost a dollar and gained a burger, and you've gained a dollar and lost a burger. Assuming this was a fair trade (that dollars and burgers are of approximately equal value), then as a result of the transaction we've simply rearranged who has which good, and no additional value was created in the process. What I've lost you've gained and vice versa, so that the total value between us has not changed after the exchange is over.

In game theory, an exchange that results in all credits and debits balancing out across all players is called a zero sum game. Recording debits and credits works this way with every existing currency, including Dollars and Euros and all the traditional currencies, but also Bitcoin and other kinds of digital cyptocurrencies. If you want a currency to behave nonlinearly you need additional financial tools like debt and interest, or stocks and dividends, to describe how that money grows or shrinks over time as the result of our economic transactions.

Of course, when I give you a dollar for a burger that's not really a zero sum transaction, because otherwise we wouldn't be motivated to enter into the transaction in the first place. I give you a dollar because I want the burger more than I want the dollar, and if you accept the trade it's because you want the dollar more than you want the burger, so in a fair exchange we both feel like we've come out ahead. In other words, there is some additional value in our fair exchange that is not accounted for in the burgers and the dollars alone. But if our bookkeeping method only counts burgers and dollars, then it's not accounting for the value that accrues in our transactions.

In the proposal below, I'll describe Strangecoin as an method for keeping track of a nonzero sum game, where parties can enter into financial transactions that accrue value just by engaging in that transaction. In this way, Strangecoin is a model of the value that our complex economic relationships generate. The trick is to amplify the exchanged value of Strangecoin transactions relative to the interest of other parties who are not themselves involved in the transaction. If this seems counter-intuitive, a nonfinancial example might help: it's not unusual for two minor celebrities to achieve greater celebrity status upon entering into a romantic relationship. Although strictly speaking the romantic relationship is between the two celebrities, the general public interest in the celebrities results in more overall popularity in their union than either had on their own prior to the relationship.

As the example suggests, the dynamics of Strangecoin might be usefully thought of in terms of a "reputation system" rather than a strictly financial tool, even though the basic mechanics involve the regular method of exchanging currency for goods perceived by both parties to be of equal value. Because of the nonlinear relationships among Strangecoin users, each user effectively draws on a network of support in each economic transaction, coupling its activity to the successes (and failures) of the that network of activity. The result is a model of the complex interdependencies within a community of economic agents, and the dynamics by which those networks develop and decay. For this reason, Strangecoin might have implications for quantifying the role of individual choices and responsibility in the context of corporate action, and for resolving other difficult issues in the management and ethics of collective economic action.

I will say more about implications and consequences of Strangecoin at the end of the document. I turn now to a more detailed discussion of the Strangecoin protocol.

The Strangecoin network

The Strangecoin network is a directed graph with users as nodes and some time-dependent transactions as edges between them. Transactions describes how Strangecoin trade between users at each time step. Let S be our unit of Strangecoin, and let t be our basic unit of time.

A Strangecoin user is:

An account balance B in S
Income I in S/t, the sum of all incoming transactions.
Expenses E in S/t, the sum of all outgoing transactions.
So dB/dt = I - E
An account balance cap C in S that represents the upper limit of Strangecoins in a user's balance.

Balance Penalties:

If B = C, then the user receives a penalty where income is forfeit until expenses reduce the balance below C. Income might gradually decay as B approaches C to postpone hitting the limit. Similarly, if B = 0, then the user receives a penalty where expenses are forfeit until income brings the balance above 0. Expenses might gradually decay as B approaches 0 to postpone hitting the limit. To avoid penalties, users must keep their balance 0 < B < C. In other words, users have an incentive to keep dB/dt near zero, so that total income balances with total expenses.

Transactions:

A transaction indicates some trade in Strangecoin over some duration of time between two Strangecoin users with distinct accounts. Transactions come in five types described below. User X can initiate a transaction with user Y by specifying a transaction type and a duration of time, and then fixing the specific parameters of that transaction. If X can initiate the transaction without the approval of Y, the transaction is one-sided. If the transaction type requires Y's approval for initiation, it is a two-sided transaction. Users cannot engage in transactions with themselves.

Payment is a two-sided transaction in unit time, or an immediate transfer of S from one balance to another in a single time step. Payment works exactly as you'd expect it to work from other currencies, and in this sense is the simplest of the five transaction types. If X pays Y a quantity p of S, then X subtracts p from their balance and deposits p in Y's balance. Payments are two-sided and requires approval from both sides, so initiate the transaction X specifies Y and p, and Y must approve.

Support is a one-sided transaction over some duration t. If X supports Y over t, then X contributes additional S to Y's income from X's balance, expressed as a proportion s of Y's income over t. X's support effectively amplifies Y's income. To initiate this transaction, X specifies Y, t, and the proportion s of Y's income that X will contribute as support. Since support is a one-sided transaction, Y does not need to approve of the support to receive the additional income.

Endorsement is a one-sided transaction over some duration t. If X endorses Y over t, then X contributes additional S to Y's outgoing expenses, expressed as a proportion e of Y's expenses over t. X's endorsement effectively amplifies the payouts of Y's expenses. To initiate the transaction, X specifies Y, t, and the proportion e of Y's expenses that X will contribute as endorsements. Since support is a one-sided transaction, Y does not need to approve of the endorsement or the additional expense, which is drawn entirely from X's account.

Coupling is a two-sided transaction over some duration t. If X and Y couple over t, then changes in the income and expenses of X over t (apart from this coupling) result in proportional changes to the income and expenses of Y, and vice versa. Coupling "binds the fate" of X and Y over t, so that any change in one results in change for both. To initiate the transaction, both X and Y must agree on a duration t, and may specify distinct proportions cx and cy for coupling which must be approved by the other. With approval, coupling can involve both positive and negative correlations between income and expenses of two users. If X and Y are positively coupled, then increases in X's income and expenses results in some proportional increase in Y's income and expenses. This additional income or expense are drawn from or deposited to The Universal Account, as described below.

Inhibition is a two-sided transaction over some duration t. If X inhibits Y over t, then X reduces the income or expenses of Y over t by some proportion i. By inhibiting Y, X effectively reduces the impact that Y has on the Strangecoin network by i over t by forfeiting that proportion of income and expense. To initiate the transaction, X specifies Y, t, and i, which must be approved by Y.

The Universal Account (TUA):

Although individual transactions may be nonzero sum as described above, the overall Strangecoin network is zerosum, and uses The Universal Account to balance the network. TUA is a universal account that is positively coupled with all other users. TUA approves of transactions only in the scenarios described below. All newly mined Strangecoins are deposited directly into TUA, with a coupling bonus to the miner. All users are positively coupled with TUA with cy = 0 so that all users effectively receive a basic income from TUA in proportion to TUA's balance. Users cannot support, endorse, or inhibit TUA.

X can make a payment to TUA at t only in the following situations:
The have hit their account cap. All forfeit income is automatically deposited into TUA.
X is coupled to Y at t, whose expenses have changed. Additional expenses from X (in proportion c_x to Y's expense change) are automatically deposited into TUA.
X is inhibited at t. All forfeit income at t due to inhibition is automatically deposited into TUA.
TUA can make a payment only in the following situations:
X receives income from coupling with TUA.
X's account balance = 0 at t. Any additional transactions outgoing from X at t are drawn from TUA.
X is coupled at t to Y whose income has changed. Additional income to X at t (in proportion cx to Y's income change) is drawn from TUA.
X has income from an inhibited source Y whose balance is empty. The remaining balance of the transaction is drawn from TUA.

All transactions with TUA are bare in the sense that they are stripped of any of the modifiers that might normally amplify transactions with X. Basic income paid from TUA to all other users is in proportion to the total users on the network, and TUA's balance. In this way, the basic user income is also a measure of the general health of the overall network.

Discussion

The set of transactions described in the Strangecoin protocol motivate an incentive structure that is quite different from that of traditional currencies. I'll discuss some of these incentives and their impact below.

Most immediately, Strangecoin transactions are amplified by the network of economic relations employed by each party to the transaction. For this reason, the impact of a transaction isn't simply a matter of what is being traded and for how much. It also matters who you are trading with and their ongoing economic relations, which may have an important impact on the value of the transaction. This is the case even though Strangecoin are entirely fungible and Strangecoin transactions can be conducted pseudonymously.

Strangecoin is "backwards compatible" with traditional currencies, in that it supports the normal method of exchanging goods and services for some discrete quantity of coin in the form of a one-time payment. However, the other transaction types allow for much deeper forms of economic dependencies over time, and explicit representations of one's contribution to one's economic community. These provide incentives to engage in transactions other than payment, for instance by some duration of support or coupling. Securing large payments in a single time step may have very little impact on one's overall income over time, and therefore may be less desirable to users than securing time-extended transactions of other types. Large payments also threaten to bring users close to their balance penalties, providing more incentive to manage economic relationship through other types of transaction.

The most important incentive in the network is the incentive to balance one's account, so that dB/dt is close to 0, and overall income matches overall expenses. If dB/dt is far from zero, then balance penalties start to become an issue. If X is at the account maximum, any additional income over that balance is forfeit to TUA. In this case, user Y has no incentive to give additional support to X, since that additional support is simply forfeit to TUA. Similarly, if X is at the account minimum, any additional expenses are drawn from TUA free of any modifiers. In this situation, user Y has no incentive to endorse X, since that endorsement is again forfeit. In these cases, the transfer of Strangecoin is below its potential, so users are less likely to engage in these transactions; in other words, balance penalties shrink the amplification of one's support network. Users nearing a penalty cannot acquire or dump their balance through TUA, so must arrange transactions with other users to manage their account. There may be income penalties on large balance transfers to prevent users authorizing large payments in order to avoid balance penalties.

Because of these balance constraints, the optimal strategy for all users (including TUA) is to keep income and expenses near a 1:1 ratio. This might be handled in the traditional ways, through careful budgeting and account management. But this can also be handled by managing one's economic support network through transactions other than payment that will keep one's account balanced. If X has sufficiently large income, they must take on equally sizable expenses to avoid balance penalties. These expenses can come in the form of support and endorsements for other members of the network X wishes to support and endorse, effectively growing the network on the basis of their prosperity. The converse holds for users with large expenses. For this reason, prosperity in Strangecoin is measured by a user's throughput of Strangecoins over time, and not their raw quantity at any given time. Users with large throughput also occupy central hubs in the network, and their role and influence in the economic activity of the network is given quantifiable significance with Strangecoin, which can be used for making high-level policy decisions concerning the management and ethics of collective economic action.

Finally, balancing one's account requires, among other things, a consistent regular income from TUA. This gives all users an interest in the general health of TUA and of each user to maintain a relatively balanced account. In general, Strangecoin users seek out semi-persistent networks of support and coupling-- similar in some ways to investment, but investment in people-- and the overall stability of these networks account for the economic well-being of both users and the network as a whole. The incentive towards cooperative, stable, interdependent economic relationships takes place through an interface that bears an intuitive relation to traditional currencies, especially as it pertains to marketplaces of competition.

There's more work required to put flesh on the bones of this idea. There are many conversations to have about the dynamics of the network and the particular constraints it should operate within, both as a matter of practical operation and as a matter of sensible public policy.

I'd like to have those conversations with you.

I posted this on my blog yesterday, and it's received a fair bit of attention since then, largely driven by a fantastic discussion on Hacker News that gets a lot of the up-front reaction and criticism out of the way. There is also a less active thread on /r/BasicIncome that has a few interesting comments, and several comments on my blog. There's also been at least one scammer attempting to profit off the idea already.

The idea isn't complete and there are obvious problems that need to be worked out. But given the reaction I've been seeing, the idea seems to be genuinely novel (something that surprised me, given the insane activity in the bitcoin world), and seems to be stimulating people's thinking in some interesting directions. The proposal is already more successful than I would have anticipated. So I'm pretty interested to see what this thread might do with it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

You didn't answer my question. Have you ever owned or used any btc? If not then how can you speak so authoritatively?

now i want mccarthyism but with bitcoins

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

^^^ that's a nice wall of text, what does it say?

this can only end well:

quote:

Legal Question - Can I legally sell BITCOIN as a business? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 minutes ago by SkynetCrypto

Can I stand in one spot and sell BTC to people in person? What is the legality of this?

Just looking for answers to the best of reddit's ability.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I love the "HAVE YOU EVER OWNED BITCOIN" because lol I owned way more bitcoin than any of the dudes currently posting in /r/bitcoin.

These dudes crow about their 1btc or whatever and its' like "Yea dude my old wallet had like 2k coins, thanks for playing".

Late adopters thinking they're king shits is the best.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

quote:

Josh/Inaba of BFL has now resorted to paying shills to boost his own trust rating and defaming critics by leave false negative trust. (forums.butterflylabs.com)

submitted 3 minutes ago by WildFireca

BFL_Josh posted:

Win a Butterfly Labs Imperial Monarch!

In an effort to demonstrate and consequently improve and repair the trust rating system on Bitcointalk, I am holding a contest that will provide concrete examples of how the trust system is broken on Bitcointalk.

I have spoken with Theymos, the operator of Bitcointalk, about this and I have his full knowledge and permission to perform this experiment, with the prize being an Imperial Monarch to one lucky winner!

Starting now and running until we start shipping the 28nm Monarch based products, anyone may enter into the contest by posting to the trust feedback system on Bitcointalk. Each entrant must make 6 separate trust entries. There will be 3 positive entries that must be made and 3 negative entries that must be made. You must make all 6 entries each day to be eligible for the drawing on the day we ship the products. On the day we officially start shipping, the contest entries will be closed. The next block to be found on or after midnight UTC of the following day will be the winning block. We will use Bitcoin Blockchain raffle ticket picker to decide the winning number. Entry numbers will be taken in order they are posted each day and numbering of each day after the first will continue where the previous day left off. The winning number will be chosen at random via the blockchain.

Entrants may make one entry per day. Multiple entries per day will be ignored and only one valid entry will be allowed per day.

Summary of the rules:

1. One entry per person, per day.
2. Entries will consist of 3 positive and 3 negative Trust entries on Bitcointalk.org to the accounts specified. (Listed below)
3. Entries will close the day we ship our first Monarch product to a paying customer. Entries will be accepted up to 23:59 UTC of that day.
4. The winner will be chosen at random via the next block on or after 00:00 (midnight) UTC the day after we begin shipping.
5. The winning list will be compiled through taking each set of 6 entries by a single individual per day and entering their name in the list, in order of posting as displayed by the Bitcointalk.org website. Each subsequent day after the first will start where the previous days list left off.
6. Trust entries must not be cut and pasted from previous days and must be unique each day. Entries must not be gibberish or otherwise unintelligible entries. (Sorry, but you will have to put some thought into it!)
7. DO NOT SPAM MULTIPLE ENTRIES! THERE IS ONLY ONE ENTRY ALLOWED PER DAY. Multiple entries per day are useless and likely to be removed. Anyone found spamming the system will be disqualified.
8. Only valid Bitcointalk accounts registered prior to the 28th of March, 2014 are allowed to enter. Accounts registered after this date are ineligible to participate.
9. Incorrect feedback type will disqualify an entry. (For example, leaving a negative feedback on one of the positive accounts or a positive feedback on a negative account will be disqualified.)
10. Shipping of the winning entry will be at the end of the current pre-order queue. Although I will try to slip in the shipment of the entry earlier than that if we have a gap in the queue based on anyone electing to take a refund, but I can not guarantee that at the moment, as I don't know if we'll have enough refunds to allow that without compromising paying customers shipping schedule.
11. If the operator(s) of Bitcointalk or other entities decide to discontinue this demonstration/experiment early or disallow the feedback for any reason, this contest becomes null and void. I will design a new contest to replace this one in just such an occurrence with the same prize available.

Leave Positive feedback for these three accounts:
Inaba: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=8198
BFL_Josh: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=63314
BFL: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=44366

Leave Negative feedback for these three accounts:
Theymos: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=35
Dogie: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=87869
Bicknellski:https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=76550

Background information on the reasons behind this contest:

Many people believe that the trust system on Bitcointalk is not only useless, but actually counter productive to a fair and balanced system for evaluating the viability of conducting trade on Bitcointalk. There are countless examples of the system being gamed, and false ratings being applied to individuals, unrelated to any sort of actual trust scenarios. Many scammers use this as a method to instill trust in their victims, allowing them to continue scamming with impunity. Other use the trust system as a way to air grievances, which is not a valid use of the system and also contributes to false rating levels for numerous individuals. The operators of Bitcointalk do not believe the system is broken and further more do not believe it can be gamed. With the small time gaming that has happened in the past, it is hard to differentiate legitimate feedback from illegitimate feedback. This contest, I believe, will conclusively prove that the system can easily be gamed in one direction or the other with minimal effort. Per the rules of the contest, there will be an equal number of positively gamed trust accounts as negatively gamed trust accounts, which will definitively prove that either direction is possible.

I have spoken to Theymos at length over this issue and informed him that I will be conducting this demonstration, so he is aware of the impending demonstration and the likely results. It is possible that I am in fact incorrect about my understanding of how the system actually functions behind the scenes, but I do not believe this to be the case. Hopefully, upon the conclusion of this demonstration, Theymos will be convinced of the lack of viability of the system and replace it with a more viable system or remove it entirely. While this certainly won't solve all of the problems Bitcointalk faces, at least we can try little steps to try and rehabilitate Bitcointalk as a place people can have civil discourse and believe what they read there instead of being forced to ignore the vast majority of the site.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Damiya posted:

I love the "HAVE YOU EVER OWNED BITCOIN" because lol I owned way more bitcoin than any of the dudes currently posting in /r/bitcoin.

These dudes crow about their 1btc or whatever and its' like "Yea dude my old wallet had like 2k coins, thanks for playing".

did you manage to cash out

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Damiya posted:

a poop toucher eh

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

stopped reading at the first line, who the gently caress goes back and reads all their own posts

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

wait bfl is concerned about bitcointalk facilitating scams?

irony meter's on fire

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

did you manage to cash out

I did some CPU mining and a bit of GPU mining when that first came out and fiddled around with one of the early open source pool codebases. It was a tech curiousity.

There wasn't anything to cash out *to*.

It's just amusing because in their world I should be one of the new oligarchy because I happened to fiddle gently caress around with some random tech a few years back.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Damiya posted:

did you cash out when butts went big?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Greyhawk posted:

^^^ that's a nice wall of text, what does it say?

he's quoting eripsa, who is bearly coherent when he's on his meds

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

ayn rand hand job posted:

he's quoting eripsa, who is bearly coherent when he's on his meds

oh god

i remember trying to read that thread and stopping midway in the first paragraph of the op too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Greyhawk posted:

oh god

i remember trying to read that thread and stopping midway in the first paragraph of the op too

hes made the thread multiple times, and it bears laughs

plus this

RealityApologist posted:

My tools are as much a part of my identity as my gender and sexual orientation.

What's incredible about this?

edit: I'm not arguing that glassholes experience the same discrimination as gay people. I'm saying that there are identity politics at play that will only build in tension as wearable computers become more and more popular, and that this culminates in a culture war over the rights of cyborgs to their tools, and moreover that the identity politics mirrors the same political battles for gay rights and other civil rights over these same basic issues of identity.

There's nothing wrong with talking about cyborg rights in light of the lessons in the gay rights (or civil rights) movement. Both were extended studies in political advocacy in the face of overwhelming odds. Cyborgs have plenty to learn from this history.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

is he possibly steve mann?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ayn rand hand job posted:

hes made the thread multiple times, and it bears laughs

plus this

mods permaban this guy tia

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

til cyborg rights activists are a thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, better too early than too late, I guess

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Home owner w/free elec. seeking Miner loan mod (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago* by CAMTRONNNNN

Hello.

I am proud own home somewhere near, asshowle of new of york state Connexicut, U of S An.

But theyre is problem;

Do you, or someone you know, living in the tristate area (NY,CT etc, btc) have bitcoin/scrypt/litecoin mining capabilities? Do you also have interest in putting to use said equipment in my home immediately to take advantage of a rare and yes, you are correct and warranted in gutshot snap calling - "I call, show down hoss." surmising of this situation. Thusly, let me briefly say;

I have always been a litigious man and as a result, have hosed THE BANKSTERSwhere they stand, still, and let's let that suffice at least for the immediate present -

In essence, I am paying nothing ATM and I own a condo that includes everything but plumbing. AHEM, NO ELECTRICITY OVERHEAD IN THE U(owe)S, COUGH COUGH

I am interested in entertaining any and all plausible methodologies towards these ends (I.E. MINING, LIKE, RIGHT NOW WITH NO ELEC OVERHEAD COSTS).

Partnering and or rewarding those parties who satisfactorily (and profitably) put forth actionable plans to most expediently exploit this time sensitive opportunity is the purpose of this post.

I am quite intent on quickly ascertaining the GTO way to play my hand in this reddit. For those of you who are you, the tech savy, finding everything there is to know about me will prove easy enough;

When I say I will pay [insert value/commodity/etc/btc] with equal parts judiciousness and generosity, you can use gogles noseitall (GONSA) to see just how I roll.

Thank you for your reading, and I look forward to your participation in this, most innocuous, most probably ill received text post.

฿e well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Greyhawk posted:

Home owner w/free elec. seeking Miner loan mod (self.Bitcoin)

text me

e: what did i just read

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread