Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

...! posted:

To the haters—have you actually ever even tried heroin? (self.Heroin)

submitted 2 hours ago by cgcardona

Completely serious question to all the DARE and health-scare/straightedge people out there—have you ever even tried heroin?

I realize that there are potentially several groups of people who hate/dislike/don't trust heroin?

People who had the potential to get on early and missed it
People who got on early and got off too early
People representing 'The System/The Man'
People pumping other things (ecstasy, methamphetamines, good ole' marijuana, etc)
Classic trolls/haterz who just have nothing better to do (sorry bastards)

But I honestly wonder how many of these people (sans #1 & #2) have actually ever even injected a single syringe of heroin.

Refining, owning, securing, buying, selling, and creating transactions are core to the heroin experience. If you've not done them then not only are you not at all authorized to speak but you're honestly missing out on something amazing.

There are so many things to learn and experience when you use heroin instead of hoarding it or dismissing it:

Highs aren't instant (when factoring in confirmations)
Heroin isn't anonymous. It's pseudonymous at best and completely open at best/worst (depending on your viewpoint).
Security from police raids is HARD ™

FWIW I count myself in group #1 though of course I'm not a hater. I found out about black tar in early 2011 on hacker news and was super jazzed for like 1 month. It was early in my drug-using career and awareness and unfortunately I just didn't realize how fast and how far things would move. I didn't really commit and come on board til last year.

So feel free to blast me with downvotes but I'd like to hear back from anyone who usually hates in subreddit.

Neodymium fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Neodymium hosed around with this message at Mar 31, 2014 around 00:29

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Magic Underwear posted:

the perspective on the framed QR code and the bitcoin logo is off and it's driving me loving nuts. what a hack, glad he paid a full bitcoin for it.

it's like the renaissance never happened to some people

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Dex posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

suffix posted:

it's like the renaissance never happened to some people

the back windows you don't have drawn are the funniest tbh

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I'm wondering who invited the Hamburglar

robble robble

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
bitcoiners completely lack creativity.

i work in tax and every single tax avoidance scam they come up with has been beaten to death over and over again. apparently no one who owns a bitcoin has even ever heard of the internal revenue code. like the most basic thing in tax is that income is taxable from whatever source derived.

the internal revenue code posted:

Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, gross income means all income from whatever source derived, including (but not limited to) the following items:

it's that loving simple.

not really surprising bitcoiners don't understand this.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

hobbesmaster posted:

the back windows you don't have drawn are the funniest tbh

oh lol, i assumed they were traced too, but no.

a daring technique

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Greyhawk posted:

is he possibly steve mann?
i'm guessing the dresden codak guy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dex posted:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm wondering who invited the Hamburglar

robble robble

Probably Sway and Rob Dyrdek.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm guessing the dresden codak guy

Nah it takes him three months to write a page.

Dren fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2014

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

a shameful snype, i know

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

The Bitcoin community needs to elect a Congress, where deputies have voting power equivalent to the proportion of coins of those who choose to be represented by that person. People with a significant amount (say 1% of BTC) may also enter the Congress without being elected. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by justgotasmartphone

The Congress will elect a President and central banker, who will chart the course of Bitcoin so long as they maintain confidence of the Congress.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
justgotafartbone

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
robawesome i can't help noticing that you posted a funny bitcoin post a full SIX MINUTES after it was originally posted. What The gently caress.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

bitcoiners completely lack creativity.

i work in tax and every single tax avoidance scam they come up with has been beaten to death over and over again. apparently no one who owns a bitcoin has even ever heard of the internal revenue code. like the most basic thing in tax is that income is taxable from whatever source derived.

it's that loving simple.

not really surprising bitcoiners don't understand this.

they have a sovereign citizen level understanding of how any and all laws work so they probably do think there's some super secret code you can use while filing taxes that will get you out of paying anything

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Dr. Honked posted:

robawesome i can't help noticing that you posted a funny bitcoin post a full SIX MINUTES after it was originally posted. What The gently caress.

my b

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Boxturret posted:

til cyborg rights activists are a thing

well cyborgs are already walking around without you even noticing

though nobody cares because that insulin pump or pacemaker doesnt really make you less human and you are only discriminated against by metal detectors

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ymgve posted:

though nobody cares because that insulin pump or pacemaker doesnt really make you less human and you are only discriminated against by metal detectors

this really grips my poo poo. there's this guy in the uk who's a total loving bumclown and claims to be a cyborg because he implanted a chip in his arm http://www.kevinwarwick.com/

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

suffix posted:

oh lol, i assumed they were traced too, but no.

a daring technique

i think you're on to something

there are clearly illuminati influences here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Greyhawk posted:

Home owner w/free elec. seeking Miner loan mod (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago* by CAMTRONNNNN

Hello.

I am proud own home somewhere near, asshowle of new of york state Connexicut, U of S An.

weird i just asshowled a few seconds ago

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

let's just say if i see dick cheney in the same room as a microwave i'm gonna be running at that quick cook button

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
but that is because hes dick loving cheney and if he wasnt a cyborg you would still bash his head in with the very same microwave

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dick cheney has confirmed that he had his pacemaker and associated heart machinery modified such that he is immune from wireless attacks

also, for a while he legit didn't have a heartbeat. was still walking around and chillin', though, just... no hearbeat.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

CryptoRush just imploded. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 minute ago by centralcontrol

Wish I had more info... they are not being very transparent at the moment. Their IRC is about the only way to get info.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

dick cheney has confirmed that he had his pacemaker and associated heart machinery modified such that he is immune from wireless attacks

also, for a while he legit didn't have a heartbeat. was still walking around and chillin', though, just... no hearbeat.

wasnt he in a wheelchair at that point

so... rolling around, silently

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Havelock Investments Halts Neo & Bee Fund Trading Due to “Abnormal Activity” (newsbtc.com)

submitted 12 hours ago by WetTurd

[–]dellintelbitcoin 1 point 56 minutes ago

What is abnormal trading?

[–]fartcoin 1 point 28 minutes ago

They said abnormal activity and suspicious trades.

Not entirely sure but it sounds like someone taking advantage of an exploit to me.

[–]hydethejekyll 1 point 3 hours ago

I pulled my other shares from Havelock that night

[–]andreasma 18 points 7 hours ago

I have no information about the operations at Neo & Bee, I have only acted as a technical advisor. I am getting no communication from the firm and have not had any response to my messages.

I have no investment involvement or insight, other than acting as a consultant on security architecture, providing advice over skype & telephone for their operations. I do not know anything more.

[–]lmises 4 points 4 hours ago

So did you actually confirm that they used any of your advice before letting them put your name on the advisory board?

[–]CoinBitch 2 points 4 hours ago

Thanks for the update!

[–]BashCo 24 points 8 hours ago

You should mention that it was Neo and Bee that requested Havelock halt trading due to suspicious LMB activity, and that Neo and Bee isn't the only one who was having issues.

You guys are really quick to make scam accusations. We should be paying very close attention, but we simply don't have enough information to point fingers or draw conclusions at this point.

[–]Displayer_ -1 points 2 hours ago

Lets ignore the warnings.

[–]BashCo 6 points 2 hours ago

Oh whatever. Somebody else who was eager for a witch hunt accused me of the same thing yesterday. Here's what I told him.

Like I said, I don't know what's going on with Neo and Bee. I'm not ignoring anything, but I don't have enough information to make vague accusations about Neo and Bee being a scam either. Also, that thread seems to indicate that it's not only Neo and Bee which have decided to halt trading on LMB. If something screwy is happening with LMB, then Neo and Bee is acting accordingly.

So I repeat: let's continue to pay very close attention, but hold off on screaming 'scam' until we know what's actually going on.

[–]sherlocksmith 5 points 6 hours ago

Just wait for tomorrow's announcement, which will come from the employees directly. Remains to be seen what exactly happened and if someone will step in Danny's shoes to clean his mess, if possible.

[–]minamisan 1 point 23 minutes ago

Are you saying Danny is no longer in charge there?

[–]whatnowneo 2 points 8 hours ago

What now? Do I just say goodbye to the 2 btc that I invested in this or is there still hope?

[–]jaynemesis 6 points 6 hours ago

There's still plenty of hope, I have 1.5BTC in there too, "abnormal activity" could mean anything from insider trading to some sort of theft or price manipulation. I should also mention that havelock does'nt simply give all of those BTC to the company in which they are invested, they are held in escrow on cold storage until that company needs the money, so it's unlikely you'd lose all your bitcoins if the company did just die and go under.

[–]tinus42 14 points 9 hours ago

If it's a scam it's a very elaborate scam. With them opening a brick and mortar branch and running an extensive TV ad campaign on Cypriot TV.

I hope it is not a scam, the people of Cyprus already had had to suffer enough from the "traditional" banking system robbing them of their money exactly one year ago. :(

[–]phildo449er 1 point 2 hours ago

Lucky for the people of Cyprus, it appears they neo didn't get any money from them, so only the investors are stuck holding the bag here.

[–]Displayer_ -1 points 2 hours ago

yea so they went from trusting banks with a reputation, which ofc then was destroyed, to trust a totally new company ran by randoms using bitcoin. Seriously ...

[–]wheyjuice 3 points 9 hours ago

More info regarding this event can be read here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=529946.80

Starts around midway page 5.

[–]testing1567 11 points 9 hours ago

Has anyone tried asking /u/andreasma if he knows anything since he is on their advisory board. He's the only person right now that is involved with the company that isn't hiding from the internet. Even Mark Karpells had the decency to make an announcement that he wasn't fleeing the country. I understand that it's not his place to make announcements for them, but a simple statement saying that the company still exists at least would go a long way.

[–]andreasma 19 points 8 hours ago

I have no insights into the management or operations of Neo, I am simply a technical advisor to the board.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it sure does suck being so wrong about bitcoin:smith:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Robawesome posted:

Mark Karpells

classic mark karples

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Robawesome posted:

submitted 12 hours ago by WetTurd

fresh from the butt

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Hi guys. I'm just starting out and I have some questions about security. Please, help me out! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 minute ago by furiousnick1i

Hi!

My name is Nick and I'm 24 years old. I've always been interested in investing in crypto-currencies but never had the capital. Recently, I've come into the possession of some investment money(About $14,000). The timing is perfect, given the recent devaluation of Bitcoin.

I want to buy, but before I do that, I have a few questions regarding the security of crypto-wallets. The last thing is to lose my investemnt overnight because of some hacker. So here we go:

1. What are the chances of someone hacking your wallet?

2. What are the best methods of protecting yourself against hacking?

3. Which is the safest wallet service available?

4. Is there anything else I should know regarding security? Tips, suggestions, cautionary tales...?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Robawesome posted:

thats more like it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Robawesome posted:

Hi guys. I'm just starting out and I have some questions about security. Please, help me out! (self.Bitcoin)

Hi!

My name is Nick and I'm 24 years old. I've always been interested in investing in crypto-currencies but never had the capital. Recently, I've come into the possession of some investment money(About $14,000). The timing is perfect, given the recent devaluation of Bitcoin.

I want to buy, but before I do that, I have a few questions regarding the security of crypto-wallets. The last thing is to lose my investemnt overnight because of some hacker. So here we go:

1. What are the chances of someone hacking your wallet?

2. What are the best methods of protecting yourself against hacking?

3. Which is the safest wallet service available?

4. Is there anything else I should know regarding security? Tips, suggestions, cautionary tales...?

i've always been interested in this thing thats only been around for a few years

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Beeftweeter posted:

i've always been interested in this thing thats only been around for a few years

because i'm a tiny child

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm tiny bug child

wierd

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
didn't read most of that, but im the ideas guy trying to use dynamical systems analysis and cryptocurrency to solve the relevant and contemporary problem that the economy is a zero sun game

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

lol forever that a man in his 70s was given a heart transplant

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

...! posted:

If you've not done them then not only are you not at all authorized to speak
gently caress u i never consented to this, i am a sovereign flesh and blood man

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Greyhawk posted:

Home owner w/free elec. seeking Miner loan mod (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 minutes ago* by CAMTRONNNNN

Hello.

I am proud own home somewhere near, asshowle of new of york state Connexicut, U of S An.

But theyre is problem;

Do you, or someone you know, living in the tristate area (NY,CT etc, btc) have bitcoin/scrypt/litecoin mining capabilities? Do you also have interest in putting to use said equipment in my home immediately to take advantage of a rare and yes, you are correct and warranted in gutshot snap calling - "I call, show down hoss." surmising of this situation. Thusly, let me briefly say;

I have always been a litigious man and as a result, have hosed THE BANKSTERSwhere they stand, still, and let's let that suffice at least for the immediate present -

In essence, I am paying nothing ATM and I own a condo that includes everything but plumbing. AHEM, NO ELECTRICITY OVERHEAD IN THE U(owe)S, COUGH COUGH

I am interested in entertaining any and all plausible methodologies towards these ends (I.E. MINING, LIKE, RIGHT NOW WITH NO ELEC OVERHEAD COSTS).

Partnering and or rewarding those parties who satisfactorily (and profitably) put forth actionable plans to most expediently exploit this time sensitive opportunity is the purpose of this post.

I am quite intent on quickly ascertaining the GTO way to play my hand in this reddit. For those of you who are you, the tech savy, finding everything there is to know about me will prove easy enough;

When I say I will pay [insert value/commodity/etc/btc] with equal parts judiciousness and generosity, you can use gogles noseitall (GONSA) to see just how I roll.

Thank you for your reading, and I look forward to your participation in this, most innocuous, most probably ill received text post.

฿e well
wtf i thought francis e dec died long ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol forever that a man in his 70s was given a heart transplant

he's very important you know

• Locked thread