Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

seiferguy posted:

Well here's something:

I think they were our ancestors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Piers Morgan thing is amusing because I don't think anyone likes him, and it's not exactly some sort of checkmate moment for the right to call him out.

Also,
DEAR PIERS MORGAN
IT WAS A PLEASURE SHOOTING YOUR ANCESTORS

THANKS,
GEORGE WASHINGTON

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

seiferguy posted:

Well here's something:

"Shooting at other human beings was enjoyable."
-A Sociopath

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I find it amazing that they're still riding this Piers Morgan thing.

You are talking about a group that can't let anything that their fevered mind thinks will defeat the Liberal Menace go.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I find it amazing that they think liberals actually liked Piers Morgan.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They are still complaining about that girl and Ted Kennedy which happened almost half a century ago and he's been dead for five years.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Technogeek posted:

I find it amazing that they think liberals actually liked Piers Morgan.

I didn't even know who he was beyond a vague association between the name and 'talking head' before this whole non-controversy popped up on the internet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Radish posted:

They are still complaining about that girl and Ted Kennedy which happened almost half a century ago and he's been dead for five years.

In the far distant future, when the stars have all gone dark and the universe is cold, the last pathetic living creature will drag itself across a barren wasteland. For reasons it does not understand, in its final moments of life it will take a deep breath of the rapidly thinning air and exhale:

"Ted Kennedy was once involved in the accidental drowning death of Mary Jo Kopeche in the Chappaquiddick River."

Silence falls.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Back to the pile!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

1stGear posted:

In the far distant future, when the stars have all gone dark and the universe is cold, the last pathetic living creature will drag itself across a barren wasteland. For reasons it does not understand, in its final moments of life it will take a deep breath of the rapidly thinning air and exhale:

"Ted Kennedy was once involved in the accidental drowning death of Mary Jo Kopeche in the Chappaquiddick River."

Silence falls.

Benghazi!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gazhoundeit.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Radish posted:

Obviously the only way to combat this is to talk about Watergate or Reagan saying "I forgot".

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

seiferguy posted:

Well here's something:

Why do some Americans think they won that one. Is it taught in schools that way? I mean seriously, patriotism is one thing, but this is absurdly revisionist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
As opposed to the French winning it for us?

Guilty Spork posted:

"Shooting at other human beings was enjoyable."
-A Sociopath

Well we are talking about Town Destroyer, after all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Spangly A posted:

Why do some Americans think they won that one. Is it taught in schools that way? I mean seriously, patriotism is one thing, but this is absurdly revisionist.

Because anti-French sentiment is still A Thing and admitting that aid from the French was a key factor in American victory during the revolution would be admitting that France has been a major world power for a thousand years instead of being cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Posted with the comment "Hilarious!"
I'm incredibly tempted to respond with, "Nothing says funny to the people of CT and CO like the weapons used in the mass murder of their fellow citizens. Hilarious!" But I feel like that would just needlessly stir up poo poo. Gun nuts are just the worst loving people :(

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

This looked too fun not to share.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
Oh my god, my head is spinning. First of all, a girl on my FB friends list posted a link to an article but because it was in German I had to google for an English version of it. So tread carefully and click this link:

http://northerntruthseeker.blogspot.ch/2014/03/did-malaysian-flight-mh370-land-at.html

It's basically proof that flight MH370 got kidnapped and rerouted to an army base and a guy who managed to squeeze his iPhone into his rear end (no, I'm not kidding) managed to send a message and shoot a pic with his phone. The pic's EXIF data (which one commenter on the German post called "sound proof in any court ANYWHERE") "confirms" the pic was snapped in a hangar in this base (because GPS works perfectly in enclosed areas, especially in very remote army bases). Which is all fine and dandy but the guy's annotations and updates on the post I linked make it even worse / crazier / batshit insane. How freaking hard pressed for a conspiracy can a nut become?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

SedanChair posted:

As opposed to the French winning it for us?

As opposed to us burning Washington to the ground and getting our poo poo kicked in russian-style because Napoleon was the only person who had figured out scurvy and the shits were actually vaguely important to winning wars.

America had better tactics and excellent supply management but we were doomed from the start because, you know, Napoleon.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

13stitches posted:

Oh my god, my head is spinning. First of all, a girl on my FB friends list posted a link to an article but because it was in German I had to google for an English version of it. So tread carefully and click this link:

http://northerntruthseeker.blogspot.ch/2014/03/did-malaysian-flight-mh370-land-at.html

It's basically proof that flight MH370 got kidnapped and rerouted to an army base and a guy who managed to squeeze his iPhone into his rear end (no, I'm not kidding) managed to send a message and shoot a pic with his phone. The pic's EXIF data (which one commenter on the German post called "sound proof in any court ANYWHERE") "confirms" the pic was snapped in a hangar in this base (because GPS works perfectly in enclosed areas, especially in very remote army bases). Which is all fine and dandy but the guy's annotations and updates on the post I linked make it even worse / crazier / batshit insane. How freaking hard pressed for a conspiracy can a nut become?

Yeah, EXIF headers aren't just unencrypted bytes with a well-standardized format that anyone can spoof or anything like that :v:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Late as hell on this, but from the classes related to history I've taken? The modern american image of the cowboy is nowhere near close to reality.

I've taken a class with a conservative professor where this came up and one with a liberal professor where this came up. They both told us that the cowboy this person seems to think exists is a myth.

You know who the first and orignal cowboys were? People of African American, Native American and Hispanic descent!

loving Denzel Washington would have made for a more realistic portrayal of a cowboy than John Wayne.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 2, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

As opposed to us burning Washington to the ground and getting our poo poo kicked in russian-style because Napoleon was the only person who had figured out scurvy and the shits were actually vaguely important to winning wars.

America had better tactics and excellent supply management but we were doomed from the start because, you know, Napoleon.

Wait you're talking about the War of 1812?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Wait you're talking about the War of 1812?

Well if we're talking about getting rid of the English I assume it was them making that explicit reference, yes.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Spangly A posted:

Well if we're talking about getting rid of the English I assume it was them making that explicit reference, yes.

Pretty sure it was meant to be a reference to the American Revolution.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

George Washington, noted combatant in the War of 1812,

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

George Washington, noted combatant in the War of 1812,

well aware of this. We ended and it went away.

Piers morgan show ended. he went away.

e; specifically the reference doesnt make any loving sense unless they're saying they got rid of the English totally, which would be 1812. Unless theyre literally saying "haha we like shooting people".

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The author of the macro probably doesn't even realize there was a war of 1812. We were under English rule, we kicked them out, end of story.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

e; specifically the reference doesnt make any loving sense unless they're saying they got rid of the English totally, which would be 1812. Unless theyre literally saying "haha we like shooting people".

Uh that's exactly what it says. Don't look for the deep game with these people, there is no deep game.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Uh that's exactly what it says. Don't look for the deep game with these people, there is no deep game.

Oh.

Ok :smith:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

they're saying they got rid of the English totally, which would be 1812.

You are deeply confused about something. The entire thing is a reference to the American Revolution. The Americans drove out the British in the American Revolution. There is nothing about this macro that should lead you to think it's about the War of 1812.

quote:

The Obama administration: Everyone gets laid! This is supposed to be a bad thing?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JohnClark posted:

Posted with the comment "Hilarious!"
I'm incredibly tempted to respond with, "Nothing says funny to the people of CT and CO like the weapons used in the mass murder of their fellow citizens. Hilarious!" But I feel like that would just needlessly stir up poo poo. Gun nuts are just the worst loving people :(

Reply with "Dear the Deep South.

Ooga Booga Booga!"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Spangly A posted:

well aware of this. We ended and it went away.

Piers morgan show ended. he went away.

Unless it's explicit, you should always assume that an American is not referencing the War of 1812, because we basically just ignore that one. American kids learn more about the French & Indian War than the War of 1812. (e: Or at least I did in Western PA, which in retrospect may care about it more than other parts of the country.)

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 2, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Although America wouldn't have won the Revolution if not for the French assistance as well...

Edit: Fort Hood base shooting - be ready with this http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/baseguns.asp - A bunch of morons are running around claiming that clinton disarmed the bases which is completely untrue.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 3, 2014

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Mornacale posted:

Unless it's explicit, you should always assume that an American is not referencing the War of 1812, because we basically just ignore that one. American kids learn more about the French & Indian War than the War of 1812. (e: Or at least I did in Western PA, which in retrospect may care about it more than other parts of the country.)

I am the proud product of the Washington public school system and at least in my district, this is true. Even in AP American History the War of 1812 was covered in a single lecture day. I think we did 2 days on the Seven Years' War.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

1stGear posted:

Because anti-French sentiment is still A Thing and admitting that aid from the French was a key factor in American victory during the revolution would be admitting that France has been a major world power for a thousand years instead of being cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

I'm not sure how many people realize that we even had help from the French. I never knew about it until I got more serious about learning history.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Jabarto posted:

I'm not sure how many people realize that we even had help from the French. I never knew about it until I got more serious about learning history.

It is truly depressing what little I learned of our own history in public school.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

1stGear posted:

The bizarre thing about people from France is that they seem to LOVE Americans and American pop culture for some reason.

I seem to recall seeing a poll where they were actually the biggest fans of America.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They even made their flag good old red white and blue, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There's also that big statue out on that island in New York.

Fulchrum posted:

Reply with "Dear the Deep South.

Ooga Booga Booga!"

I think I would've just gone with "Dear NRA" and that Black Panthers pic from earlier in the thread.