Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If there's one thing we know about humans it's that if they're healthy now they'll be healthy forever!

It's the same reason I don't have fire insurance, my house isn't on fire so why would I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
I've never filed a car insurance claim, thus I refuse to have car insurance, MY FREEDOMS

I wonder if these people realize how stupid they sound

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Al Harrington posted:

I've never filed a car insurance claim, thus I refuse to have car insurance, MY FREEDOMS

I wonder if these people realize how stupid they sound

A lot of people who dont live in states where it's required think this way. Even though the insurance protects you from OTHER people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of people who dont live in states where it's required think this way. Even though the insurance protects you from OTHER people.

http://www.forautoinsurancequotes.com/laws/

So MAYBE New Hampshire?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Knight posted:

In the midst of rage that the ACA hit its goal, I'm seeing a lot of this:

I wonder why so many insurance companies won't cover chiropractic services your chiropractor won't accept insurance.

Man, think about it. Like, car seats and stuff. Why would I follow the laws just because BIG GOVERNMENT swears that infants should be in rear-facing seats to better protect their head and neck in the event of a crash. My children haven't died in a horrific and preventable manner, I'll just keep letting them crawl around on the front dash. That's how I show them FREEDOM to CHOOSE to be a goddamn moron.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I live in Mass so I musta been thinking about people in NH I knew and assumed it was more common. Whoops!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Until this past week when I got pneumonia and would've had to spend $750 on medication, x-rays, and lab work if it wasn't for insurance. So basically I'm remarkably thankful that I have insurance and everyone no matter how healthy they say they are should get it. If I hadn't had it I might've not gone in and I shudder to think about my condition if I hadn't gone in when I did. People who don't get health insurance because they say they don't need it are dumb.

And $750 is a drop in the bucket for many medical bills.

It would have been cheaper going to a holistic chiropractor.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

It would have been cheaper going to a holistic chiropractor.

Given how much a lot of places like that try to milk their customers for as much as they can, I don't know if that's even necessarily true.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

Man, think about it. Like, car seats and stuff. Why would I follow the laws just because BIG GOVERNMENT swears that infants should be in rear-facing seats to better protect their head and neck in the event of a crash. My children haven't died in a horrific and preventable manner, I'll just keep letting them crawl around on the front dash. That's how I show them FREEDOM to CHOOSE to be a goddamn moron.

Pennsylvania recently banned texting while driving and even though it literally was getting people killed poo poo loads of people went absolutely bonkers because "MY FREEDOMS!!!" You have no idea how monumentally stupid people can be about safety in general.

I used to be a safety guy and it's unbelievably difficult to get people to understand that doing an unsafe thing 200 times doesn't make it automatically safe. The 201st time might be the time where something goes wrong and somebody dies.

Same thing goes for basic life skills like keeping emergency money squirreled away somewhere or having plans for when poo poo goes wrong. Something going wrong isn't a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when" and "where."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TheJunkyardGod posted:

Is this even worth replying to? I guess I know the answer is obviously no but listening to people cry about Obama is just annoying.

Everything that can be replied to without wasting a ton of time doing it and which will be seen by people who are not lost causes is with replying to.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Knight posted:

I wonder why so many insurance companies won't cover chiropractic services your chiropractor won't accept insurance.

"Sorry your son fell off his bike and broke his arm, that will be $12,000."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pennsylvania recently banned texting while driving and even though it literally was getting people killed poo poo loads of people went absolutely bonkers because "MY FREEDOMS!!!" You have no idea how monumentally stupid people can be about safety in general.

I used to be a safety guy and it's unbelievably difficult to get people to understand that doing an unsafe thing 200 times doesn't make it automatically safe. The 201st time might be the time where something goes wrong and somebody dies.

Same thing goes for basic life skills like keeping emergency money squirreled away somewhere or having plans for when poo poo goes wrong. Something going wrong isn't a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when" and "where."

Driving is probably the most widespread example of the Lake Wobegon effect in history. Just about everyone recognizes that distracted driving is dangerous, but I'm a good driver, I can do it just fine. My mom was one of the most cautious drivers I've seen while I was growing up, but then texting blew up and now she's on the highway having whole conversations at 70mph.

Also, a great benefit of good health insurance in my experience is that you never have to play the "is this pain or illness a serious enough issue to go to the doctor?" (or god forbid the ER) game, you can just go and see what they have to say and if it turns out to be no big deal then you've paid a few bucks for peace of mind.

e: vvv I bet we could get the NRA behind this.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 4, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
New high school graduation requirement: Introductory stats class where the class actually plays Russian Roulette until someone dies or everyone's taken a turn, whichever one comes last.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mornacale posted:

Driving is probably the most widespread example of the Lake Wobegon effect in history. Just about everyone recognizes that distracted driving is dangerous, but I'm a good driver, I can do it just fine. My mom was one of the most cautious drivers I've seen while I was growing up, but then texting blew up and now she's on the highway having whole conversations at 70mph.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Knight posted:

Why would someone even worry about sticking a needle in their kid's arm? The doctor doesn't do menacing airplane motions with the needle, eventually jamming it in and twisting it around sadistically. The child will most likely never remember any specifics about vaccination. And we all ate REAL food a hundred years ago, it didn't stop polio or measles then and it won't now.

And why are chiropractic fans so insufferable? An old boss of mine would get smug about going to the chiropractor while not having health insurance, it was pretty clear that getting a glorified massage realignment and buying poo poo like inversion tables wasn't stopping her from getting the flu.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mo_Steel posted:

I think I'm going to make some anti-car seat propaganda that satirizes anti-vaccine propaganda

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Knight posted:

I remember back in the day I got into a jet ski accident and screwed up my back pretty bad. I went to the chiropractor about a dozen times over a half year, had some therapy, and eventually got better.

Several years later I got involved in a rear-end collision and went to a chiropractor to get checked out for whiplash, and drat was that a trip. The "Dr." was talking to patients about coming in for treatment to prevent the flu, headaches, heart burn, etc. Then I got checked out and the lady gave me the whole schpiel about how thetans "sublexations" in the spine basically are the cause of every known ailment or disease.

Then I figured out why there seems to be a chiropractor in every shitshow stripmall, its snake oil and people don't know better or can't afford better. So drat sad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If anyone tells you that texting while driving is okay, tell them to close their eyes on the highway for 5 seconds (it's usually loving scary and I opened my eyes immediately because duh) while going 60mph and above because that's pretty much what you're doing when you take your eyes off the road.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

While I know people do it, I've never met a person that actually thought texting while driving was ok, what the hell. At least with seatbelt laws you could pretend that you are the only one affected but gently caress anyone that thinks they should be able to operate a deadly vehicle around other people while actively paying attention to something else because it's their freedom or right or whatever.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
My favorite texting-while-driving anecdote is that here in Missouri the most obnoxiously predatory personal injury ambulance-chaser law firm has put up billboards along the main interstate corridor telling people not to do it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

seiferguy posted:

If anyone tells you that texting while driving is okay, tell them to close their eyes on the highway for 5 seconds (it's usually loving scary and I opened my eyes immediately because duh) while going 60mph and above because that's pretty much what you're doing when you take your eyes off the road.

I am from interior Alaska, which has very dry snow most of the winter. When there's fresh snow on or near the highway, a car driving by really fast will blow up a shitload of it in its wake, creating what they call "whiteout." If a car passes you, you will be blinded for a couple of seconds until the snow settles back down, especially at night.

I had a friend who, every time he'd get whited out, would jerk the wheel to the right. He was completely unaware he was doing this, he didn't even seem to notice when he'd gone out of his lane. My brother had a car accident the location and description of which sounded like this phenomenon as well.

Not only is it scary to not see the road for a few seconds, some people react in exactly the wrong way without even knowing it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Knight posted:

What do they mean 'will not be forced'? Yeah, the IRS just makes suggestions, you actually don't owe any money on your taxes if you don't want to! They're really well known for not caring that much whether or not you pay your taxes.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My brother-in-law was originally going to school to become a chiropractor. When I first met him, I immediately picked up the vibe that chiropractors are bullshit because he was talking about sublexations and how it creates all the bad in our bodies and blah blah blah. My wife and her family though were sort of buying it (and now she does not!). After switching from one school to another, he dropped a lot of the "it cures cancer" poo poo because there are apparently different chiropractor theories and this different school does not preach that.

He adjusted me one time (and it will never happen again). It felt like a glorified massage and my back actually felt worse the next day (this probably is supposed to signal to me that I need to get adjusted again). He is now out of the chiropractor world but last I heard, he still does adjustments on his children. :saddowns:

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My brother-in-law was originally going to school to become a chiropractor. When I first met him, I immediately picked up the vibe that chiropractors are bullshit because he was talking about sublexations and how it creates all the bad in our bodies and blah blah blah. My wife and her family though were sort of buying it (and now she does not!). After switching from one school to another, he dropped a lot of the "it cures cancer" poo poo because there are apparently different chiropractor theories and this different school does not preach that.

He adjusted me one time (and it will never happen again). It felt like a glorified massage and my back actually felt worse the next day (this probably is supposed to signal to me that I need to get adjusted again). He is now out of the chiropractor world but last I heard, he still does adjustments on his children. :saddowns:

More than that, it's actually dangerous. People have died from 'adjustments', and it isn't all that infrequent. Chiropractic is quackery, and all the MDs I've asked about it say that in no uncertain terms (I know, anecdotal). :saddowns: indeed.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I've been to a chiropractor for chronic sciatica and occasional injuries. The good ones are little more than traditional Physical Therapy, like mine. 95% of the treatment is e-stim, physical therapy, and therapeutic massage - the chiropractor comes in at the end and does less of a 'spinal adjustment' and more of a focused muscle stretch which, in my opinion, was very helpful.

I've been to the bad ones where they try to sell you on voodoo medicine namely, acupuncture. Those are the ones to avoid. Chiropractors can't cure cancer or keep you from getting the flu and anyone who tells you otherwise is unreachable.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It should also be noted that he is a hardcore republican (probably close to the tea party side). He named his kid Reagan and I once heard him say that Rush is a little too lefty but Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity are what is right for America.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
One of my right-wing Facebook friends posted this article today:

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/04/03/dont-believe-the-democrat-lies-about-the-supreme-court-ruling-on-mccutcheon/

It's one of those lovely blogs a la newsbusters, the blaze, etc. and they're defending the recent Supreme Court decision (re: campaign donation limits) in very bullshittinous ways.

I don't even reply to this guy anymore, 86 tea party trolls immediately jump in with their tenuous grasps on logic and adult conversation whenever I try to argue. He's gone so far into that tea party bubble that he accuses anyone who remotely disagrees with him of "drinking the kool-aid"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A difficulty in bringing the hammer down on Chiropractic is just what earlier posters have identified. The splintered nature of theories in the field lets the different schools claim that it's the other ones that are dishonest. Chiropractic isn't structurally regulated, so it's one of the cases were the adage "If alternative medicine worked, we would just call it medicine" applies.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Knight posted:

If somebody asked me to pretend-post the most asinine point of view regarding health insurance I still probably couldn't best Marge Arita's for real post. I cannot believe somebody would think like that.

It reminds me of the time I got into a yelling match with my sister-in-law when I brought up healthcare reform. She quickly went into a rage about how much she hated Obamacare and why it was destroying America. She paid too high of a premium for a plan that didn't cover much, had $60 copays and didn't didn't help much with her medications. It was all Obama's fault! This took place before the ACA was passed.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Two guys wearing armed forces t-shirts chase after a protester flying a flag upside down and take it away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1xsENCaQA

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Knight posted:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

robotsinmyhead posted:

I've been to a chiropractor for chronic sciatica and occasional injuries. The good ones are little more than traditional Physical Therapy, like mine. 95% of the treatment is e-stim, physical therapy, and therapeutic massage - the chiropractor comes in at the end and does less of a 'spinal adjustment' and more of a focused muscle stretch which, in my opinion, was very helpful.

I've been to the bad ones where they try to sell you on voodoo medicine namely, acupuncture. Those are the ones to avoid. Chiropractors can't cure cancer or keep you from getting the flu and anyone who tells you otherwise is unreachable.

This, exactly. There are chiropractors and there are chiropractors.

I'm a personal injury attorney, and we frequently send our auto accident clients out to chiropractors as a first line of treatment...some of the adjustments and exercises done can cause real pain relief for someone with a injured back or joint.

A good (read: non-crazy) chiropractor recognizes the limits of chiropractic and refers out for MRIs and tests, and then refers to actual medical doctors if needed. Oftentimes, they will have a M.D. working with them for easy referral and to collaborate treatment and prescribe medications.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

tek79 posted:

It reminds me of the time I got into a yelling match with my sister-in-law when I brought up healthcare reform. She quickly went into a rage about how much she hated Obamacare and why it was destroying America. She paid too high of a premium for a plan that didn't cover much, had $60 copays and didn't didn't help much with her medications. It was all Obama's fault! This took place before the ACA was passed.

Obviously, uncertainty was to blame. If McCain had been elected, everything would've been certain. But we got this wild-eyed jungle president instead, and he's been making all his decisions based on drunken games of dice. Completely unpredictable. It's no surprise businesses are hoarding cash and squeezing profits, they could all be socialized tomorrow.

borkencode posted:

Two guys wearing armed forces t-shirts chase after a protester flying a flag upside down and take it away.

Freedom of speechspeaking proudly of America at all times. Love it or leave it!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

smilingfish posted:

I'm a personal injury attorney, and we frequently send our auto accident clients out to chiropractors as a first line of treatment...some of the adjustments and exercises done can cause real pain relief for someone with a injured back or joint.

A good (read: non-crazy) chiropractor recognizes the limits of chiropractic and refers out for MRIs and tests, and then refers to actual medical doctors if needed. Oftentimes, they will have a M.D. working with them for easy referral and to collaborate treatment and prescribe medications.

Literally anyone can become a chiropractor. People need to stop treating them like doctors because they are not doctors. The more I read about chiropractors, and the more I speak with my medical school friends about them, the more I realize they're kinda weird.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

borkencode posted:

And in so doing they let the flag touch the ground which is just as disrespectful, if not more so, than flying it upside down according to the US Flag Code.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Flags touch the ground all the loving time. No big woop. No one who's tried to run that thing up a flag pole in windy conditions cares. Flying it upside down is another thing entirely, it's just a sign of distress. Dudes shouldn't of taken it though, they're lucky they didn't cause any injuries.

Grem fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 4, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rosalind posted:

And in so doing they let the flag touch the ground which is just as disrespectful, if not more so, than flying it upside down according to the US Flag Code.

I thought flying the flag upside-down was a sign of distress, not disrespect or dishonor.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Badera posted:

More than that, it's actually dangerous. People have died from 'adjustments', and it isn't all that infrequent. Chiropractic is quackery, and all the MDs I've asked about it say that in no uncertain terms (I know, anecdotal). :saddowns: indeed.

http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html :toot:

It reminds me a bit of Plural of Anecdote, but instead of showing our horrible health system next to working single-payer models it's just all death and paralysis due to chiropractic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

I thought flying the flag upside-down was a sign of distress, not disrespect or dishonor.

Yea it's often used in political movements because, ya know, they're trying to create the image of America being in danger or distress over the topic they're mad about. It's not like they're burning it or whatever.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The only people who care about flags are the type to assault and steal them from people. Evidence above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

smilingfish posted:

The thing I can't figure out is, how does the Chiropractor know when to refer to an M.D.? I know they have some medical training but if I said that I send all my clients to a veterinarian who knows the limits of veterinary medicine and refers them to an M.D. when necessary, I'd be called a nut.

On the other hand, if a doctor refers someone to a Chiropractor, that's 100% ok in my book.