Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Athletic Footjob posted:

Can't stop picturing him doing cocaine in costume now.

"So, ever been with a gold plated dude before?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Did we ever figure out if the Double Dare theme was actually in the movie?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

"So, ever been with a gold plated dude before?"

"Beep boop beep!" *snorts while projecting raining dollar bills*

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Triskelli posted:

Did we ever figure out if the Double Dare theme was actually in the movie?

For a few seconds, yes

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

PassTheRemote posted:

For a few seconds, yes

It was the "10 Seconds Later" in between the Think Tank and the TV Studio, right?

My 6yo has been repeating "I'm here to see.... your butt!" and "Honey, where are my paaaaaaaannnnnnts?" for the last month, and he finally had a good week at home with mom AND stayed dry overnight all week, so I took him to see it again yesterday afternoon. Being free to pay attention to background stuff made the movie even better, I can't wait for this to be out on bluray.

On a negative note, every store I went to yesterday and today is completely out of movie lego sets. We have the motorcycle/SWAT chase set, but I really want a MetalBeard for my desk at work and want to get my son the Bad Cop set with the Copodiles. I've never seen sets sell out like that other than Christmas time. The LEGO Group has to be making some serious bank.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CommanderApaul posted:

It was the "10 Seconds Later" in between the Think Tank and the TV Studio, right?

My 6yo has been repeating "I'm here to see.... your butt!" and "Honey, where are my paaaaaaaannnnnnts?" for the last month

Thank god it's happening to other parents and not just me.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My wife has to put up with it and she didn't even see the movie.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

If my 2-yo starts mimicking him, I think my wife will kill me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're in the Nashua New Hampshire area, the Toys R Us there has a bunch of the Ice Cream Truck, Garbage Truck, and Bike Chase movie sets still in stock.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're in the Nashua New Hampshire area, the Toys R Us there has a bunch of the Ice Cream Truck, Garbage Truck, and Bike Chase movie sets still in stock.

Likewise if you're a bit further south in the Natick, Massachusetts area, the Lego store at the mall still has bunches of Ice Cream Truck, Super Cycle Chase, Lord Business' Evil Lair, MetalBeard's Duel, and I think Castle Cavalry.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurion posted:

Likewise if you're a bit further south in the Natick, Massachusetts area, the Lego store at the mall still has bunches of Ice Cream Truck, Super Cycle Chase, Lord Business' Evil Lair, MetalBeard's Duel, and I think Castle Cavalry.

Thanks for the tipoff, I'm probably gonna pick up Super Cycle Chase.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Thanks for the tipoff, I'm probably gonna pick up Super Cycle Chase.

I have this set, and it is as awesome as it looks. The motorcycle is lots of teeny tiny pieces and feels like playing with a movie prop. Everything else I'm just gonna order from LEGO direct.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I haven't bought any of the movie sets, but I did end up buying a Galaxy Patrol thingy so I could get started building spaceships.

And after tweaking the design I started thinking "this could really use more bricks." It's downright sneaky.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Barnes & Noble of all places had quite a few of the cheaper movie sets when I was there this Saturday. All of the minifig blind bags were long gone, of course.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
re: Emmet moving during the live-action Will Ferrell shot, I took that to be an allegory for how prone Legos are to disappearing, even when they appear to be right there in front of you, because the pieces are so small. That's why Will Ferrell didn't necessarily reach down and pick Emmet up despite there being no way he would've gone very far.

Bongo Bill posted:

The thing about modern society is that it doesn't make much difference whether the idea that a film encourages its audience to spend their money on is specifically named in the process. Of course this movie is a commercial: the challenge is to find one that isn't.

With that in mind, The Lego Movie was very good, funny, positive, smart, etc.

The final message is not that individuality is necessarily preferable to conformity, though it's true that's what it seems to say at first. Rather, the message is that neither is superior. It's a strong argument that capitalism doesn't have to be the bad guy. One leaves the theater keenly aware that the film is saying that if neither the Master Builders nor Lord Business are wrong about the right way to play, then the only wrong way to play is not to. Or, in other words, it is wrong not to play. "Buy all our playsets and toys!" indeed. This is the obvious part.

What's not so obvious is that it also questions the value of a social order based on consumption. It's a shell game within a shell game: seeing through the false dilemma between conformity and individualism only reveals the true dilemma between the perpetuation and cessation of that order. Obviously, the film comes out strongly in favor of perpetuation; it takes place in a world literally made of bricks, and if there were no building with bricks, there would be nothing.

What's smart about this movie is that in revealing the shell game (i.e. it teaches you that "Conformity vs Individualism" is a trick question), it also equips the audience to question and even reject its very compellingly delivered deeper thesis. Emmet rejecting Lord Business' assertion that you must follow instructions is Emmet rejecting The Lego Group's assertion that you must buy Legos, and by extension it is also Emmet rejecting society's assertion that you must participate in capitalism. Emmet saying that Lord Business doesn't have to be the bad guy is Emmet saying that there is no moral imperative not to buy Legos just because The Lego Group spends all that money to make you think you want to buy Legos. It is Emmet saying that capitalism does not need to be smashed.

Well, of course the film would write him as saying that, as the film is capitalism. It's not a fair or balanced message; the system wants to live. But the point is: all of this is in the film. This is a movie that presents strong, clear ideas about how to think about modern society. Like the instructions in a Lego set that teach you how the pieces fit together so you can build something else, you can tear this movie apart and use its rhetorical components to construct an alternative worldview. And like Legos, those components are of high quality.

Great points, all.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Finally saw it today. I was really impressed with how they balanced out cute Lego jokes, tons of fanservicey nods (I HAD that Shaq set, man. That EXISTED), good standalone humor, and a genuine, real-rear end plot. I was a big Lego nerd as a kid but I would've loved this film without that emotional attachment to the toys, I think. But I mean, being able to go "I HAD THAT DRACULA FIGURE" and "I HAD THAT SHAQ FIGURE" helped.

If I were to complain about anything, it's that the movie goes at a mile a minute, and it causes a few scenes to just lack breathing room and the scenes that do slow down feel a little jarring, almost. I feel like the movie coulda been better with even just one more minute.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
A friend pointed out that Vitruvius has a beard, a tie-dyed shirt, jeans, and sandals. He isn't a wizard. He's a hippie. He just looks like a wizard to Finn.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Even better is that he doesn't even have that in the first scene, he just looks like a normal wizard; it's just that he let himself go after years of hiding.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

demota posted:

A friend pointed out that Vitruvius has a beard, a tie-dyed shirt, jeans, and sandals. He isn't a wizard. He's a hippie. He just looks like a wizard to Finn.

I think he had wizard garb and an actual staff in the intro, only to lose it after the rise of Lord Business (and probably to a vacuum cleaner or gap in the floor).

E: oops, time stamps

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So it looks like Lord and Miller are in talks for a major franchise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
No loving way. Yessss

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ghostbusters 3 is loving VALIDATED if they sign up. Good Lord.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I have no doubts that L&M could make a funny film about bustin' ghosts; I do have some reservations about it being particularly true to the spirit of the franchise. Though they shouldn't try to recreate that lightning in a bottle, the various talents that were involved are in equally varied state's of retirement, mortality, and some just aren't as good as they used to.

Lord and Miller's talents lie greatest when they have external ideas that they can play with. Clone High played with the tropes of high-school dramas, sitcoms, and historical figures. The Lego Movie played with audience expectations and the nature of licensed characters. 21 Jump Street took a rediculous concept, lampshaded it, and wrapped it around a plot of reliving your youth.

I have no doubt that they could make a funny film about bustin' ghosts; but I have no illusions about it being a Ghostbusters film, and that's what makes me excited.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I could see them doing something where we follow a new group of Ghostbusters operating in LA, and everybody is constantly giving them crap for not living up to the old guys, while at the same time calling them derivative. "Why can't you be more like them? Those guys are really good. You remember that time they fought a giant marshmallow? That was crazy. You new guys suck. Oh, wow, you're living in a firehouse? How frickin' original, you guys are trying too hard."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

umalt posted:

I have no doubts that L&M could make a funny film about bustin' ghosts; I do have some reservations about it being particularly true to the spirit of the franchise. Though they shouldn't try to recreate that lightning in a bottle, the various talents that were involved are in equally varied state's of retirement, mortality, and some just aren't as good as they used to.

Lord and Miller's talents lie greatest when they have external ideas that they can play with. Clone High played with the tropes of high-school dramas, sitcoms, and historical figures. The Lego Movie played with audience expectations and the nature of licensed characters. 21 Jump Street took a rediculous concept, lampshaded it, and wrapped it around a plot of reliving your youth.

I have no doubt that they could make a funny film about bustin' ghosts; but I have no illusions about it being a Ghostbusters film, and that's what makes me excited.

Out of all those it's been 21 Jump Street that seems to offer the most hope. Taking an old franchise and reviving it decades later allows them to say all sorts of stuff about remakes and the 80s and actors passing torches. Plus the Ghostbusters movies have so much to mine in terms of death, the supernatural, science, celebrity culture, New York, civil rights, small business, and much more.

For every reason you should have been excited for 21 Jump Street based on Clone High I feel you can say the same about Jump Street and Ghostbusters.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

You want to make a film based on an existing property that seems impossible to adapt. Who you gonna call?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lelandjs posted:

You want to make a film based on an existing property that seems impossible to adapt. Who you gonna call?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSpvtwt-4HU

It's just...perfect.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Loved the movie. Benny is my favorite character, 80s Space Lego ruled and they should bring it back.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Loved the movie. Benny is my favorite character, 80s Space Lego ruled and they should bring it back.

Then I have some good news for you: Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oddly appropriate, since Lego Ghostbusters is a thing that's happening.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Also, over on TeeFury, Benny Stardust is a thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
side one, track one - five years (and up)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Have all of the rules of the sea.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
For me, best laugh was Dumbledore and Gandalf.

'but... But... '
' You're a butt. '
*staff high five'

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

For me, best laugh was Dumbledore and Gandalf.

'but... But... '
' You're a butt. '
*staff high five'

Me too! Nothing funnier than like two of the most powerful wizards enjoying a butt joke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why is there no release date for this yet (at least on Amazon where I checked)? I excepted to see all the retailers falling over themselves to have the most ridiculous elaborate disk case, made from Lego?

And then I buy the cheapo bluray only release. Maybe the two disk if it has lots of special features.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

Why is there no release date for this yet (at least on Amazon where I checked)? I excepted to see all the retailers falling over themselves to have the most ridiculous elaborate disk case, made from Lego?

And then I buy the cheapo bluray only release. Maybe the two disk if it has lots of special features.

It only just opened in Australia. I guess they want it to have a full run everywhere first.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LordPants posted:

It only just opened in Australia. I guess they want it to have a full run everywhere first.

Heck, it's still in first-run theaters (at least in Wisconsin), and it only came out two months ago in the U.S. I'd expect home video sometime in June or July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timby posted:

Heck, it's still in first-run theaters (at least in Wisconsin), and it only came out two months ago in the U.S. I'd expect home video sometime in June or July.

Yeah, it took about 4 months for Frozen to come out on Blu-Ray so I'd expect something similar here.

• Locked thread