Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

I'm trying to crowdfund a peer-to-peer lucid dreaming homeless shelter
... but with bitcoins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Join the waitlist for an unusual frozen yogurt law firm
... but with bitcoins!

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

What about a micro anarchist operating system ... but with bitcoins!

I'm trying to crowdfund a niche dried strawberry TV show ... but with bitcoins!

What about a redditor dumpster hackerspace ... but with bitcoins!

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Offline wallets are confusing, like every other tortured metaphor in Bitcoin land.

Here's how it works: Bitcoin addresses have a private key and public key, with the public key being publicly shared to receive payment, and which is hashed from the private key. The private key is needed to actually send bitcoin transactions.

So, if you grab yourself an offline computer with the Bitcoin address generating bullshit, and hook it up to a printer that has no ability to hook up to the internet or memorize previous print jobs (:nsa:), print out the pair of keys, and slap a sticker over the private key so that nobody can ever steal it, you have an online wallet.

Now, you can send bitcoins to the public key, ask for donations to it online (because you are a bitcoiner), and look up its balance through sites like Blockchain.info, and nobody can steal the private key, unless they take the paper. Also, watch out for paper's natural enemy, a flooded basement, or just losing it in your hovel.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to hack up an online boob for toddlers... but with bitcoins!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fleshweasel posted:

I'm trying to hack up an online boob for toddlers... but with bitcoins!

finally, an alternative to sucking the government teat

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

TVarmy posted:

Offline wallets are confusing, like every other tortured metaphor in Bitcoin land.

Here's how it works: Bitcoin addresses have a private key and public key, with the public key being publicly shared to receive payment, and which is hashed from the private key. The private key is needed to actually send bitcoin transactions.

So, if you grab yourself an offline computer with the Bitcoin address generating bullshit, and hook it up to a printer that has no ability to hook up to the internet or memorize previous print jobs (:nsa:), print out the pair of keys, and slap a sticker over the private key so that nobody can ever steal it, you have an online wallet.

Now, you can send bitcoins to the public key, ask for donations to it online (because you are a bitcoiner), and look up its balance through sites like Blockchain.info, and nobody can steal the private key, unless they take the paper. Also, watch out for paper's natural enemy, a flooded basement, or just losing it in your hovel.

that's a loving load of bullshit because a truly "offline" key would have the public/private key kept completely hidden away, which effectively makes them useless because the address can't do anything without being a part of the blockchain

so once again, bitcoiners make poo poo up that isn't completely/perfectly representative of the truth

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ArchWizard posted:

i think i figured out why bitcoiners believe tipping is necessary: it doesn't occur to them to not give money to a business that provides poor customer service

actually they love tipping because it's the only time in life that they get to exercise direct influence over a person with their money. it's the ultimate libtard power fantasy. well, that and prostitution.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Management posted:

actually they love tipping because it's the only time in life that they get to exercise direct influence over a person with their money. it's the ultimate libtard power fantasy. well, that and prostitution.

and they're all too scared of women, sorry "females" to deal with hookers

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Janitor Prime posted:

secret pizza magazine

mods please!?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Sweevo posted:

and they're all too scared of women, sorry "females" to deal with hookers

they're m'ladies, god :rolleyes:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Smello posted:

it's something that already exists and works pretty well made more convoluted and risky by unnecessarily involving bitcoin, but that's not important right now

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Tanith posted:

they're m'ladies, god :rolleyes:

only when talking to them, not about them

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there's also a kind of conspicuous consumption element to tipping that i imagine assholes would miss, i remember reading rush limbaugh is a huge tipper. it's charity for libertarians: overpaying as a very public gesture of appreciation versus something awarded arbitrarily. where you can assure your money goes to ''your type'' of people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

double sulk posted:

that's a loving load of bullshit because a truly "offline" key would have the public/private key kept completely hidden away, which effectively makes them useless because the address can't do anything without being a part of the blockchain
you can receive money with the public address as much as you want, so you can get tips, mine, or receive money for goods and services rendered

only with a stupid deflationary currency would you ever consider this a good idea, because your money is only safe until you try to use it

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

theflyingorc posted:

because your money is only safe until you try to use it

J G Wentworth is rolling in his grave :(

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

CoolCab posted:

there's also a kind of conspicuous consumption element to tipping that i imagine assholes would miss, i remember reading rush limbaugh is a huge tipper. it's charity for libertarians: overpaying as a very public gesture of appreciation versus something awarded arbitrarily. where you can assure your money goes to ''your type'' of people.

More than just charity, it's the CoI chance to be the magnanimous patron to the poor proles who serve him. The whole tipping thing is something that goes back to aristocracy, and for some it's still an expression of power. Tipping has, in observation, not been shown to have any effect on the service a customer receives, that depends on the dedication of the staff. Still, the idea that you're the one who gets to reward the server for pleasing or displeasing is a huge thing for some people.

It's demented and hosed, but then again so is a lot of capitalism.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Samurai Quack posted:

More than just charity, it's the CoI chance to be the magnanimous patron to the poor proles who serve him. The whole tipping thing is something that goes back to aristocracy, and for some it's still an expression of power. Tipping has, in observation, not been shown to have any effect on the service a customer receives, that depends on the dedication of the staff. Still, the idea that you're the one who gets to reward the server for pleasing or displeasing is a huge thing for some people.

It's demented and hosed, but then again so is a lot of capitalism.

see, I think tipping can help in some situtations, say if you're a regular who always tips 20/25% whenever you go there. but if I go to a random restaurant, it seems pretty obvious that I wouldn't be getting better service through tipping. The tip only comes at the end of the meal, so why would a server adjust their behavior beforehand?

PS always try to tip 20% because waitstaff have a loving lovely job.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cantorsdust posted:

lol whatever guy. i deal with people who have awful jobs all day, it isn't my job to go above the socially accepted standard because your job kinda sucks

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cantorsdust posted:

see, I think tipping can help in some situtations, say if you're a regular who always tips 20/25% whenever you go there. but if I go to a random restaurant, it seems pretty obvious that I wouldn't be getting better service through tipping. The tip only comes at the end of the meal, so why would a server adjust their behavior beforehand?

i'm a regular at a chain restaurant nearby cause I go there with my dad p. often for lunch

i always tip 15% because the cc machine offers that as a one button option, and we always get top notch service

my dad's theory is that most customers don't even tip that much

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maybe an attack on bitcoin just started, maybe bitcoin miners are crazy people:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22cohy/8024121746_mining_18_blocks_today_containing/

Some new pool is mining only numbers of transactions that are powers of two and somehow that is (seemingly) making them get an inordinate of the blocks, but also meaning they are confirming barely any transactions. Or maybe someone just bought a bunch of asics and has some weird powers of two fetish?

It's happening.

Bitterdammerung

Actually, I have no idea if this is true, since it seems weird that such an exploit would be possible. But I can hope some sort of lovely optimizaqtion in the bitcoin code has opened up a glaring vulnerability that will kill bitcoin.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Little Blackfly posted:

It's happening.

Bitterdammerung

Actually, I have no idea if this is true, since it seems weird that such an exploit would be possible. But I can hope some sort of lovely optimizaqtion in the bitcoin code has opened up a glaring vulnerability that will kill bitcoin.
[–]gotnate 7 points 3 hours ago
Your concern is that this powerful miner has found a way to mint blocks with few transactions. The thing is that miners are free to pick and choose what transactions they want to include in a block, and at that point it is a probabilities game weather they manage to mint the block before someone else does. Bottom line is, some pool operator is trolling the blockchain, which they are free to do.

/u/BS_filter is suggesting that if block rewards get reduced to be insignificant next to the fees, then the miner might be incentivized by greed to include more transactions. That is not going to happen short term, but it sure as hell will happen naturally long term (if bitcoin doesn't crash and burn first) thanks to the reward getting halved every 4 years.

Trolls will still be trolls. It's a fact of life on the internet. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it, and don't just dismiss analysis of the problem and proposed solutions just because they don't throw the baby out with the bath water

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maybe an attack on bitcoin just started, maybe bitcoin miners are crazy people:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22cohy/8024121746_mining_18_blocks_today_containing/

Some new pool is mining only numbers of transactions that are powers of two and somehow that is (seemingly) making them get an inordinate of the blocks, but also meaning they are confirming barely any transactions. Or maybe someone just bought a bunch of asics and has some weird powers of two fetish?

UPDATE: Only 192 transactions has been confirmed in over 1,5 hour because of this pool.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Robawesome posted:

UPDATE: Only 192 transactions has been confirmed in over 1,5 hour because of this pool.

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Robawesome posted:

it's funny how often they talk about no fees vs. how they take it as a given that if you don't include fees your transaction will never be confirmed

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

indigi posted:

it's funny how often they talk about no fees vs. how they take it as a given that if you don't include fees your transaction will never be confirmed

also instant != ten minutes

or possibly forever

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Cryptonerds enlighten us: are there any significant chances this is a hitherto unknown vulnerability in the code relating to the transaction numbers (those get hashed for verification right?) rather than just a big miner making a big splash with processing power?

Like, could something as seemingly simple as just using powers of 2 predispose the hash to have more leading 0s?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

[–]TreeMonger 1 point 1 hour ago
As a new incomer to bitcoin, I am so confused. I want to use a crypto-currency to avoid the petrodollar, but whenever I try to do so, I hear about these crazy things occurring. Can someone please let me know if I am being ignorant?

[–]eof_ 4 points 1 hour ago
I've been into Bitcoin since 2011 and still learn new things all the time.
Bitcoin solves fundamental computer science problems that have existed since the dawn of networks, don't expect to learn it in a day.

[–]TreeMonger 1 point 1 hour ago
Bitcoin solves fundamental computer science problems that have existed since the dawn of networks, don't expect to learn it in a day.
So how secure and stable would bitcoin be to someone with a new business venture?

[–]eof_ 3 points 57 minutes ago
as far as we know there are no critical security issues with Bitcoin.

[–]Dude-Lebowski 1 point 17 minutes ago
And that said. Bitcoins elegance is its simplicity!

[–]vqpas 1 point 1 hour ago
At least with bitcoin you have the chance of knowing what is going on.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Robawesome posted:

pathetic little tramp posted:

poo poo this is so obvious and so simple I can't believe no one's figured it out yet - with the way they're doing this, they'll easily mine all known bitcoins by July, I'd say now is the time to sell if you've been holding onto your coins at all.

:munch:

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

<MagicalTux> I'm talking about technical security
<MagicalTux> ie. servers, network, etc
<MagicalTux> that will need third party security experts specialized in bitcoin ready to put their name on that (which is not something easy to find)
<Aquent> yes, I think there is a detailed plan as to how it would happen, I have not fully read it yet, but there would be a transition perioud where you and perhaps others of your employees would overlook the process and help with it
<MagicalTux> not talking about that
<Aquent> right you talking about the expert?
<MagicalTux> talking about finding two famous security experts with at least 10 years experience in bitcoin

To which the person replies.

quote:

<Aquent> you probably know them, but have you tried these guys: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/ EMİN GÜN SİRER and Antonopoulos

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
what cs problems does bitcoin "solve" exactly?

jesus christ

Samurai Quack posted:

Cryptonerds enlighten us: are there any significant chances this is a hitherto unknown vulnerability in the code relating to the transaction numbers (those get hashed for verification right?) rather than just a big miner making a big splash with processing power?

Like, could something as seemingly simple as just using powers of 2 predispose the hash to have more leading 0s?
this would be hilarious if true

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Phoenixan posted:

what cs problems does bitcoin "solve" exactly?

"how can i sell off my stock of terrible video cards and power supplies"

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
bitcoin does not solve problems, it in fact creates problems

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
"bitcoin's elegance is in its simplicity"?

lol the protocol is many things, but I would hardly call it simple

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:rip: bitcoin

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I'm the bitcoin expert with 10 years of experience

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
satoshi is our only hope - mark kerpoiples

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

still occasionally wonder what happened to this guy

:rip:

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

still occasionally wonder what happened to this guy

:rip:

knee breaking js a hell of a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Samurai Quack posted:

there's no obvious advantage to only do powers of 2 transactions, the double hashing kills basically any chance of you exploiting fixed input weaknesses

one possibility is that someone has written some custom miner software and didn't manage to get the way transactions are combined into a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle_tree to work properly - when the number of transactions are a power of 2 the algorithm is simpler than non-powers of 2

one possibility is that this is a deliberate choice by the miner coders

another possibility is that the miners are producing blocks with non-number of 2 transactions too but since they put them together wrong they are ignored by the rest of the bitcoin network

the second possibility is what i hope for because if thats true you are only seeing a fraction of the hashing power that the mystery miner has available and when they eventually fix their code youre gonna have a 50% attack on your hands

• Locked thread