Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Maxis presents Sim Babwe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Robawesome posted:

i somehow doubt he has claimed his buttcoins as insurable property in his policy. wouldn't he have to have done so? either way, same.

Sometimes you need a rider for specific high-value items, but generally homeowner's or renter's insurance just covers everything you own. You may need to come up with some proof of certain things and their values though. I have no idea how it would work for a stolen laptop with a bitcoin wallet on it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
i read it as Simba Bwe, but i like your joke better

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FrozenVent posted:

i read it as Simba Bwe, but i like your joke better

i have a 100 trillion dollar zimbabwe dollar

it owns

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

...! posted:

/u/GoreanPrimitiveBitcoinChristian

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Bitcoins of Gor

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DNova posted:

Sometimes you need a rider for specific high-value items, but generally homeowner's or renter's insurance just covers everything you own. You may need to come up with some proof of certain things and their values though. I have no idea how it would work for a stolen laptop with a bitcoin wallet on it.

ya when I got renters insurance they just asked what the total $ of my stuff was.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Robawesome posted:

Mexican Exchange

Market Volume in the last 24 hours: 0.11 bitcoins.

There is a total of 0.08 bitcoins in asks and 0.9 in bids. (and the bid/ask spread is 10%)

yeah, they are going places.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Robawesome posted:

Will the next hyperinflation of a fiat currency have the Bitcoin price skyrocket? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago by sawatdeekhap

Does the assumption make sense that when the next country (like previously Argentina, Simbabwe etc.) experiences a hyperinflation in their fiat currency, it may lead to a massive reallocation of funds in favor of Bitcoin? This means that people just go into panic buy mode for the safe haven that is Bitcoin, amongst others, thus skyrocketing the price?

What are the behaviours of people in these situations, from a money market perspective?

do they think hyperinflation can just occur, at random, in stable countries...like outbreaks of flu or something? is this a widely held belief outside of buttcoin?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
even moderate us dollar inflation would be a hilarious party of student loan and mortgage erasure

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

http://www.realtytoday.com/articles/5595/20140407/nolita-apartment-realtor-accepts-rent-bitcoin-first-kind.htm

New Yorker pays $18,000 rent using the cryptocurrency (realtytoday.com)

submitted 6 minutes ago by hajuugu

quote:

Nick Spanos, founder and realtor of property firm "Bapple," recently accepted rent for a NoLita, Manhattan, apartment in Bitcoin, making it the first U.S. real estate transaction done with the cryptocurrency, according to several news reports.

Spanos revealed that on March 24, a tenant deposited $18,000 in rent to an unidentified landlord in hard cold Bitcoin. The lease of the residence started April 1.

The deal was conducted by Bapple broker Jeff Goolsby, who told Crain's New York that the tenant saved a lot of money opting for a Bitcoin transaction by saving on the certified checks and wire transferring costs.

Spanos notes that Bitcoins can be a lot safer than other electronic payment methods like credit and debit cards, if managed properly.

Indeed, Bitcoin has been garnering a lot of attention from the real estate segment of late. More recently, Bond New York, a popular listing agency in New York City, announced that it will be accepting the digital currency, reports The Real Deal. A Hamptons home is also listed for Bitcoins worth $799,000.

In March, a villa in Bali also sold for 800 Bitcoins, the equivalent of $500,000, making it the most expensive property ever dealt in Bitcoin. (fyi this is $358,000 today)

"As long as they can quickly and efficiently accept payments and exchange them back for dollars, [companies] are willing to do it. It's a way for them to reduce their transaction cost," William Norton of law firm Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz told Law360.com.

Recently, the U.S. Internal revenue Service announced that Bitcoins will be taxable in the country and will be treated as "property" rather than a "currency."

First introduced in 2009, the digital currency requires people to solve a certain set of complex puzzles and programs to earn Bitcoins. The Bitcoins can be stored in online digital wallets (accounts) and can be transferred to another person's wallet. However, it gained notoriety for not having any government control and being utilized by users of the Silk Road, the online black market for illegal trade.

However, some believe that Bitcoins could revolutionize currency and give a good boost to the economy.

"Bitcoin has the potential to globally raise the standard of living if Washington doesn't over regulate it. Criminals that have used Bitcoin for illegal activities in conjunction with a lack of industry representation in the media and Washington, have caused a failure in recognizing the benefits of Bitcoin," Perianne Boring wrote for Forbes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
:lol: if you try to sell bitcoins without enough funds you get the following message:

code:
Entrada amount: 1.00000000XBT exceeds available BTC Insuficiente
At least try to finish localizing the messages guys. (and decide if you're going to use XBT or BTC already)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 7, 2014

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

Robawesome posted:

i somehow doubt he has claimed his buttcoins as insurable property in his policy. wouldn't he have to have done so? either way, same.

Yes it would be pretty much like gold coins which are only covered if locked in a safe. He'll probably get coverage for the laptop, and may be even able to claim the butts were really software worth that much. In the end he's hosed because without recites he won't be able to prove it was worth more than the usual amount.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

poik007 posted:

bitcoiner 1 says: the new laws from the IRS are the worst and they'll destroy butts aaaaaarghhhh
bitcoiner 1 says: oh no I hope my butts will be saved thanks to the new IRS ruling!!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HortonNash posted:

do they think

no

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if a currency was hyper inflating why would someone sell super valuable bitcoins for some of it?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

2234 Unconfirmed Transactions

good old instant secure free Bitcoin

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Robawesome posted:

http://www.realtytoday.com/articles/5595/20140407/nolita-apartment-realtor-accepts-rent-bitcoin-first-kind.htm

New Yorker pays $18,000 rent using the cryptocurrency (realtytoday.com)

submitted 6 minutes ago by hajuugu

ah yes, saves you so much money

my bank charges you ONE DOLLAR to write a cashier's check. and that comes with the full protection of the legal system if i get scammed

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Robawesome posted:

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

2234 Unconfirmed Transactions

good old instant secure free Bitcoin

It's crashing Chrome for me.

Fix it again, Andreas.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

my bank charges you ONE DOLLAR to write a cashier's check. and that comes with the full protection of the legal system if i get scammed

hey the other guy saved a whole -$140,000 vs. using fiat

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HortonNash posted:

do they think hyperinflation can just occur, at random, in stable countries...like outbreaks of flu or something? is this a widely held belief outside of buttcoin?
yes, it's kind of an axiomatic idea if not a very specifically discussed one that ANY MOMENT NOW, unless MORAL VIRTUE (the gold standard, removing the income tax, whatever) is instituted, EVEN AMERICA will experience Weimar-esque hyperinflation.

The end result, of course, being WAR.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Robawesome posted:

the safe haven that is Bitcoin

lmao

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

seriously.

it's not a %, it's a loving flat fee.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

wait, when did CampBX die?

quote:

Looks like CAMPBX has been offline for a while. Can anyone else confirm? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 11 minutes ago by ebolivia

[–]ebolivia[S] 1 point 3 minutes ago

Hmm. Brutal, they actually have a decent amount of trader money. Hoping its just temporary.

[–]catwelder 1 point 8 minutes ago

Yeah they're pretty much out of business

happenings.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:rip:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

bitcoin police on the case

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

why does imgur need a CAPTCHA now

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://blockchain.info/address/121T6DDufk9cGYJG7ucgh37UTLYU6WD2Uh

this is the BTCPD donation address

unsurprisingly

quote:

Total Received $ 0.00

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theflyingorc posted:

most banks also have an account tier where you get them for free! and what landlord requires every single rent payment to be via cashier's check anyway? deposit and application fee sure but monthly rent?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so it seems like the exchanges that have the highest prices die first :tinfoil:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9acCZ2OO0E&t=10s

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

most banks also have an account tier where you get them for free! and what landlord requires every single rent payment to be via cashier's check anyway? deposit and application fee sure but monthly rent?

it was just the easiest way that occurred to me, if you want to give money to an individual without using a card

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robawesome posted:

bitcoin police on the case

the way they seize on disasters for proselytization is utterly disgusting.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Megaphone Monday! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by solomania9

I'll post the highest voted comment on this thread to BitcoinMegaphone.com for free, today at 5PM EST.

Proof: http://bitcoinmegaphone.com/megaphone-monday.html

[–]PotatoBadger 0 points 1 hour ago

BitcoinMegaphone.com Sucks

fingers crossed

[–]solomania9[S] -2 points 1 hour ago

Touché. In any case if you win I assume I won't post the "fingers crossed" :-p

[–]PotatoBadger -2 points 1 hour ago

Correct. Also, no offense to you or anything. I haven't even looked at the site. It just doesn't sound very interesting.

Cheers!

[–]solomania9[S] -1 points 1 hour ago

No offense taken. You saw an opportunity and you took it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Robawesome posted:

Laptop stolen (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by cowboyhaze

My laptop was stolen with a number of other things last night during a burglary. My bitcoin wallet was on that computer... I use slush's pool... am I hosed? Any way to recover my BTC?

[–]subcypher 1 point 1 minute ago

You don't have backups?

[–]is4k 2 points 1 minute ago

Now is a good time to find your backup or seed

[–]cowboyhaze[S] 1 point 1 minute ago

Also anyone know if insurance will cover BTC since the IRS ruled it was property?

as someone who works in insurance: hahahahahahahahahaha

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

the way they seize on disasters for proselytization is utterly disgusting.

isn't that exactly what real missionaries do

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Robawesome posted:

No offense taken. You saw an opportunity and you took it.

for a libertarian will say to his assailant
if i live, i will downvote you
if i die, you win this argument

such is the rule of bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

such a fancy site i cant see why people dont want to pay money to have something posted there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

as someone: hahahahahahahahahaha

• Locked thread