Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Dren posted:

negative karma in /r/bitcoin or as a whole

negative karma on your profile will make any posts on r/bitcoin invisible until you get past 0 karma

indigi posted:

is it actually banned or is it just in some kind of grey area? I thought the deadline for exchanges/the banks to close bitcoin related accounts was April 3

it isn't banned, but banks in china are forbidden from holding money derived from bitcoins, or for bitcoins, or for a bitcoin business. some exchanges are already using a voucher system to get around the rules, but i suspect that method will also be squashed soon enough. the deadline is supposedly the 15th to halt all bitcoin-related business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
Ƀ NOT the new Bitcoin symbol (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 7 hours ago* by Chilltyperiod

NO.
The bitcoin logo is already too big of an established brand logo.
Don't make it even more confusing for new people.
Industry people (Circle) don't know jack about marketing I guess.
Edit: our current symbol should be added to unicode as a solution.

[–]TannerBeau 4 points 2 hours ago

BTC = Better Than Cash

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

jony ive aces posted:

NO.

BTC = Better Than Cash

how has the person making these comics not been shamed from reddit yet

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

bitcoin requires you to find a block that maps to a hash with a certain number of zeros in front, which relates to the current difficulty. more zeros = more specific hash = more time looking for the proper block = harder to mine.
hey i wanted to ask about this thing right here

Is this really how the proof-of-work protocol in bitcoin works? It wouldn't _have_ to require the hash to start with a specific number of zeroes, it could simply require that hash < cutoff. This would make it possible to adjust the difficulty smoothly. Same thing with the block subsidy/reward, why on earth would you make it drop in half every X blocks, causing horrible profitability shocks for the miners, instead of making it go down smoothly? Is there a reason for this other than incompetence :effort; Satoshi's transcendent genius?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Herman Merman posted:

hey i wanted to ask about this thing right here

Is this really how the proof-of-work protocol in bitcoin works? It wouldn't _have_ to require the hash to start with a specific number of zeroes, it could simply require that hash < cutoff. This would make it possible to adjust the difficulty smoothly. Same thing with the block subsidy/reward, why on earth would you make it drop in half every X blocks, causing horrible profitability shocks for the miners, instead of making it go down smoothly? Is there a reason for this other than incompetence :effort; Satoshi's transcendent genius?

if i recall correctly difficulty indeed works precisely the way you describe, the word "difficulty" in the codebase itself is an integer serving the role you call "cutoff"

the scaling i don't know about though

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

NO.

BTC = Better Than Cash

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/e3f/index.htm

"b-b-but ours has TWO lines"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

indigi posted:

how has the person making these comics not been shamed from reddit yet

its reddit

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

indigi posted:

shamed from reddit

hahahahahah

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jony ive aces posted:

฿

did i miss something :confused:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
tbf while baht jokes are great and all the $ symbol is used for multiple currencies as well v:shobon:v

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

฿

did i miss something :confused:

a line

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

tbf while baht jokes are great and all the $ symbol is used for multiple currencies as well v:shobon:v

the joke is it's already a unicode character, this person thinks bitcoiners came up with the symbol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

echo chambers make me angry.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

duTrieux. posted:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

duTrieux. posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

+1

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Bitcoin doesn't only make financial sense. It's also a profound investment in the future of humanity. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 14 minutes ago by -double-o-

Can anyone predict the value of bitcoin a few years out? Probably not, there isn't anything comparable to it in the world of finance, equities, property or commodities. This is uncharted territory, and a market cap of at least several hundred billion dollars seems about right to me. And if it crashes, yes, I will lose quite a bit of personal wealth, but the loss to humanity will feel heavier on my chest. My ONLY concern is that governments that cherish their monopolies on the production of fiat currency will try their hardest to kill bitcoin. This will only slow adoption, but folks, it isn't going away. This is the most exciting socio-economic phenomenon in our lifetime, and I feel fortunate to be a part of it. Just wanted to get that out there...thank you.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bitcoiners sound more to me like scientologists by the day

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am getting loving betabrand ads in youtube now. Thank you a lot bitcoin thread! :argh:

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
has this been posted yet?

I used to be a Bitcoin hater. I would mock the people who bought them and classify them as "neck beards living in their parent's basement". I would take joy in price drops and come to /r/Bitcoin to watch the impending drama unfold. I was 100% sure that this magic internet money wouldn't yield any tangible dividends.
Then it hit me. I didn't hate Bitcoin, I hated that I didn't know anything about it. I heard terms like mining, private keys, and cryptography, and became overwhelmed. Hoping that bitcoin would fail was a lot easier then learning about how it actually works. Ignorance was bliss for me.
This is why I suspect that a lot of people denounce Bitcoin. People don't have a clear understanding of how it works. I've spent the last week reading up on bitcoin, and now that I have a clearer understanding of it, my opinion has changed 180 degrees. I even downloaded my first wallet and am planning to use to buy my first coins. Now I can contribute to Bitcoin's ascendance, rather than hope for its downfall.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Greed is eternal posted:

I used to be a Bitcoin hater. I would mock the people who bought them and classify them as "neck beards living in their parent's basement". I would take joy in price drops and come to /r/Bitcoin to watch the impending drama unfold. I was 100% sure that this magic internet money wouldn't yield any tangible dividends.
Then it hit me. I didn't hate Bitcoin, I hated that I didn't know anything about it. I heard terms like mining, private keys, and cryptography, and became overwhelmed. Hoping that bitcoin would fail was a lot easier then learning about how it actually works. Ignorance was bliss for me.
This is why I suspect that a lot of people denounce Bitcoin. People don't have a clear understanding of how it works. I've spent the last week reading up on bitcoin, and now that I have a clearer understanding of it, my opinion has changed 180 degrees. I even downloaded my first wallet and am planning to use to buy my first coins. Now I can contribute to Bitcoin's ascendance, rather than hope for its downfall.

same

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
how I learned to stop having a functional brain and love the bit

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Greed is eternal posted:

THIS SOUL-A HAS BEEN SAVED-A! CAN I GET A PRAISE SATOSHI?!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Greed is eternal posted:

I heard terms like mining, private keys, and cryptography, and became overwhelmed.

its confusing terminology like this that keeps me from grasping the majesty of bitcoin

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
My barista made this in my coffee this morning (imgur.com)

submitted 10 hours ago by flashmob

[–]flashmob[S] -3 points 9 hours ago

She makes all sorts of designs by request. Btw, I think coffee shops are a great use case for bitcoin as there's no fumbling for change and one can also implement a loyalty system that can't be cheated.

[–]Myceliated 79 points 9 hours ago

next time tell her to put her own bitcoin qr code in it so you and the whole world can tip her.

[–]not_that_dark_knight 1 point 8 hours ago

Did ya bit tip them?

[–]Plecks 1 point 4 hours ago

So did you give them a tip in bitcoin?

[–]bigmikevegas 1 point 3 hours ago

Did you tip in BTC?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

text editor posted:

its confusing terminology like this that keeps me from grasping the majesty of bitcoin

you just need to let us help you clear away some body thetans first

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

...! posted:

She makes all sorts of designs by request. Btw, I think coffee shops are a great use case for bitcoin as there's no fumbling for change and one can also implement a loyalty system that can't be cheated.

next time tell her to put her own bitcoin qr code in it so you and the whole world can tip her.

Did ya bit tip them?

Did you tip in BTC?

i'm the bitcoiner standing around for ten minutes waiting for their coffee purchase to confirm

no wait the transaction wasn't a power of 2, might as well have seconds we're here for a while

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

...! posted:

Did ya bit tip them?

Did you tip in BTC?

what loyalty program do they think people are cheating?

wait, bitcoiners are cheating on loyalty programs in some way, aren't they

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

jony ive aces posted:

all of them are dollars though, i thought

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Cease to Hope posted:

all of them are dollars though, i thought

They are, usually due to ties to the US. CAN and AUS being the two most obvious examples.

Also Bermuda. So essentially a bunch of old Commonwealth nations.

e: I think it relates to the base unit of value it wzs derived from? Like how pound sterling were historically tied to an actual pound of silver until that became a problem and it was decoupled from the metal.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 9, 2014

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

theflyingorc posted:

bitcoiners were so excited about the subway that took btc because they missed gorging on six-inch blts (hold the l and t) purchased with counterfeit sub club stamps

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

theflyingorc posted:

what loyalty program do they think people are cheating?

I had a hole puncher, and the wisdom to use it, so I'm entitled to as many free subs as I want. I'm teaching them a valuable lesson on how to run promotions. :smugbert:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

theflyingorc posted:

There was that bitcoiner that was buying stuff for people using his Amazon Prime account and was shocked, SHOCKED when Amazon found and shut them down.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Greed is eternal posted:

[–]gbk 99 points 6 hours ago

This is true with any topic. Even in school someone may 'hate' math. Really, they just don't understand it.

[–]zoltanric 41 points 6 hours ago

perhaps you've seen the the recent colbert episode with edward frenkel. i really enjoyed his analogy: if you ask a drunkard which is bigger, 2/3 or 3/5 he probably won't be able to tell you. but if you ask him what's better? two bottles of vodka for three people or three bottles of vodka for five people he'll tell you the answer right away.

it will be a while longer until people realize how this technology will benefit them and come to understand how simple it really is.

[–]ccricers 1 point 5 hours ago

Nothing says skeptic like that "people who know nothing about..." Venn diagram with Bitcoin in the center. According to that diagram, you should have been a Bitcoin fan before you understand how economics or math works.

It's especially dumb when you include the Bitcoin developers in it. The diagram implies they do not know math.

[–]cgcardona 19 points 6 hours ago

I think that many people who hate on /r/bitcoin are people who heard about bitcoin early on (-$1–$100) and didn't get in.

I myself got 5 coins for free back in 2011 and then it fell off my radar.

Last year as the price surged I felt genuine regret at not having recognized the potential of bitcoin and acting sooner.

Of course I never came onto /r/bitcoin and hated on the currency but I can very much remember that feeling of 'drat I missed something HUGE.'

What finally turned it around was realizing that I wasn't around for the .com boom either yet I'm a 100% digital native web developer now.

The web defines my life and my friendships in a very real way now and I realized that I had been aware of bitcoin since the beginning. Sure I may not have become rich off of speculation but I had a real love for the underlying technology.

That's when I realized that I was indeed a bitcoiner, started moving some of my savings into btc and decided to come on full time last year.

[–]moonwhale 3 points 4 hours ago

While I never actively cheered its downfall, I did poke a lot of fun at the concept of bitcoin for years until I finally realized what it actually was. Similar 180 turnaround for me. Glad you made it!

[–]TheJohnVandivier 2 points 6 hours ago

A fool despises correction, but those who love correction gain understanding.

[–]GSpotAssassin 2 points 3 hours ago

I never have sympathy for this type of person because at my job (web dev), I am literally, at minimum, learning 10 new things a day. Most things are not rocket science, just stop hating and read up!!

[–]Spats_McGee 1 point 2 hours ago

Bitcoin needs two sets of "prior knowledge" to successfully comprehend: One is a basic set of technical knowledge, things like open-source, cryptography, and P2P networks, and the other half is some understanding about money, economics and game theory.

Without a certain threshold knowledge in both of those topics, you won't understand why this is important, why it's not a Ponzi scheme, how we can "trust" the miners, etc etc. Then and only then can you start to understand the amazing ramifications for what bitcoin and related technologies can do for human society.

I'm not saying you need a PhD, but I find the most vocal detractors of bitcoin really lack either (a) the threshold technical understanding or (b) the threshold economic understanding.

[–]Jeff_R 2 points 3 hours ago

They also hate it because it makes them question their values.

[–]saucedancer 2 points 2 hours ago

Some people are just waiting for their celebrity or Apple to say it's cool. Some people are just followers. Don't waste time on them, talk to people with influence.

[–]strelecxy 1 point 2 hours ago

No, people are just envious.

[–]nostdal_org 1 point 5 hours ago*

Bravo! You have grown much, much wiser realizing or seeing this very common trait about yourself and others. ...and again it applies to so many things and contexts; not just Bitcoin.

[–]PsyRev 1 point 5 hours ago

I've noticed this with all bitcoin haters that I've jumped into debate with. It always ends up apparent that they've either missunderstood something about bitcoin or there are things they don't know about it. Related to what they were hating about.

[–]nagdude 1 point 4 hours ago

Its important to keep an open mind. It seems you have learned that lesson now. Go into life without prejudice and you will have a much more enjoyable, knowledgeable and PROFITABLE life. You could have been an early adopter if you had that stance from the very beginning.

[–]blackhathacker 0 points 5 hours ago

not only to admit that you were wrong but to embrace the truth and place another lego block on the machinery of liberation, my black hat is off to you sir.

[–]MeanOfPhidias -4 points 5 hours ago

I know what you're saying but you're being really easy on yourself and those people.

It's the same reason why I identified as liberal for about 3 months. I was an ignorant dumbass who thought I had hit the pinnacle of knowledge and reason and that anyone who disagreed with me was an idiot and anyone who didn't understand was too stupid to get it.

It's called statism.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

...! posted:

[–]ccricers 1 point 5 hours ago

Nothing says skeptic like that "people who know nothing about..." Venn diagram with Bitcoin in the center. According to that diagram, you should have been a Bitcoin fan before you understand how economics or math works.

It's especially dumb when you include the Bitcoin developers in it. The diagram implies they do not know math.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Owner of multiple bitcoin sites here. Tigerdirect has been spamming my sites with shill accounts. Several of these accounts link to Reddit accounts with same behavior. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 hours ago by exposeshills

So for the past two to three months, I've been getting a fair amount of new accounts hitting up my sites to spread positive news about TigerDirect. Up until this point, TigerDirect has been almost unanimously hated and generally demonized. Took a look into a few of the accounts today and every single one is with 100% certainty a shill account. Started tracking a few across the web and found that they, in addition to spamming my few sites, are also shilling on several of the big forums and even Reddit.

Here is an example account:

http://www.reddit.com/user/steven4600

This account also tried to edit the Tigerdirect Wikipedia article to remove Tigerdirect's business history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Steven4600

[–]brxn 8 points 4 hours ago

I completely disagree with your statement of 'TigerDirect has been almost unanimously hated and generally demonized.'

I have a long Reddit history. I am not a shill. I have purchased from TigerDirect for years and I appreciate that they have retail stores that carry things normal retail stores do not.

So, for you to say that, its hard to look at your accusation of their behavior when your behavior indicates the same kind of attitude.

[–]hattmall 1 point 15 minutes ago

TigerDirect is like one of the top 5 shopping sites for tech stuff online, if not higher, I can't see how

"TigerDirect has been almost unanimously hated and generally demonized."

I like pretty much everything about them...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
woah what just happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Donate just one dollar (read more) (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 54 minutes ago by DBZfly

Look I am not trying to scam anyone here or anything I have my own Bitcoin in coinbase but I need to figure out if I have been compromised or not.

recently I just sent 1 dollar to my new wallet that is in Armory and it still has not shown up yet. I just need someone to send me a dollar for peace of mind.

Basically maybe I made a mistake or something is what I am telling myself,that is of course if your dollar goes through. If not,I will have to create a new wallet before I transfer my coin out of base.

This is my address.

If it won't kill you please help because I would do the same for you...

1Q3bxmc84krBMaSXqYBbRauE4zeqbQBTVG

[–]eightyMHz 2 points 41 minutes ago

Sent $100. Please confirm reciept.

[–]DBZfly[S] -1 points 38 minutes ago

Eight that is real awesome of you but at the same time kind of crazy cause this isn't working. I see nothing and I am willing to give you a screen shot as well... Still says 0. Check in blockchain.info for your own security. I don't know what is going on...

• Locked thread