Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just marathonned the show while I was out sick from work for a few days. I gotta say this is probably my favorite anime I've watched in a good while. It felt like a slightly less mature and more grimdark Evangelion to me, which I actually really loved. The characters were good, the animation was generally pretty great, and the action scenes were always interesting due to the unique circumstances of the fights.

A lot of the story felt like it was just trying way too hard to be dark though to the point it actually felt a bit silly to me at times, but I still liked that about the show. Honestly that was about my only major complaint with the story, it ended on a good note that didn't feel like too much of a cliffhanger except that walls are titans bit.

Also, another great point of the show is that when it needed to bring the hype it brought the loving hype. God any of the scenes where Eren transforms into his titan form still give me goosebumps.

I'm thinking of picking up the manga now, where did the show leave off, and would I be missing a lot if I just skipped to where the show ended?

You should start with the final Annie vs. Eren fight (around chapter 32, I think), since the anime makes some changes to make it feel somewhat more conclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Silver2195 posted:

You should start with the final Annie vs. Eren fight (around chapter 32, I think), since the anime makes some changes to make it feel somewhat more conclusive.

Also either watch the OVA (Ilse's notebook) or read the chapter it was based on (18.5, as I recall).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Will do, thanks for the tips

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

the animation was generally pretty great

I just can't not think of the purple bricks whenever someone says this, but there was some pretty spectacular animation where it mattered.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh yeah, was it ever explained why titan Eren attacked mikasa?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

...Because Eren has a hard time controlling his Titan form and loving things up is what Titans usually do?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I think it was he lost his ability to control his actions and acted on the fact that he was angry at Mikasa because of her insistence to constantly babysit him.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh okay, I figured it was something like that. It's been a week or so since I watched it so some of the details have gotten fuzzy. I've started on the manga and it seems pretty great as well, but I'll save that for the other thread.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Bremen posted:

I absolutely love that you claim you can predict a show so easily, and then conclude that if your predictions don't match the manga that can only be because the manga hasn't reached that point yet.

I mean, you can think whatever you want, but I was right about pretty much everything. I read the cliff's notes version and everything I predicted came to pass. I don't even think I'm that great for doing it, I consider myself of average intelligence. So if even I could figure it out, anyone smarter certainly could.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You're like that adorable little kid that passionately argues about a topic he knows absolutely nothing about and gets angry when no one listens to him.

You know pretty much everyone posting in this thread while the show was airing predicted exactly the same things you did? We just didn't feel the need to complain about it, because there was nothing to complain about.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Darth Windu posted:

I liked that too, and it was why I kept watching (a friend also told me about the atom bomb connection and that kept me pretty interested since i love that sort of stuff). Eren's rage accomplished a lot, and it seems fair to say that he played a pretty major role in preventing Annie's escape. He reminded me a lot of Gohan.
Haha look at this guy

"DBZ is my only basis for comparison" :laffo:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ViggyNash posted:

You're like that adorable little kid that passionately argues about a topic he knows absolutely nothing about and gets angry when no one listens to him.

You know pretty much everyone posting in this thread while the show was airing predicted exactly the same things you did? We just didn't feel the need to complain about it, because there was nothing to complain about.

Fair enough. If someone had said that, I'd have posted with less incredulity. But being as I was told the best part of the series was its unpredictability and rejection of anime tropes, I hope you can understand why I'd be a bit frustrated.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If you were expecting anime Game of Thrones, then yeah, I can see how that's frustrating. At the end of the day, AoT is still shonen and while it does what it does well, it still has those limitations. I'd encourage you to read the manga anyway, since it sounds like there were parts of it you liked and it certainly is a twisty series.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Don't bother replying to Darth Windu, every time I have seen him post about anything related to fiction he has been completely and objectively wrong. And I had thought it was impossible to be objectively wrong on a subjective topic until I first saw one of his posts. Just smile, nod and move along.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah, opinions are whatever, it's the way he says it in such a way as to look like a condescending, ignorant douche while voicing it that makes people mock him.

Or he is just a master troll, either or.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What I don't get is how he can claim he he is super good at speculation, post speculation that is either wrong or unconfirmed, read some spoilers that confirm he is wrong or that we don't know yet, then come back to declare he was right all along.

The rest of the complaints are the expected fare but this takes some serious doublethinking.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

GimmickMan posted:

What I don't get is how he can claim he he is super good at speculation, post speculation that is either wrong or unconfirmed, read some spoilers that confirm he is wrong or that we don't know yet, then come back to declare he was right all along.

Well duh.. no one here is showing how he's wrong, after all! So that must mean he's right, not that he's picked the spoiler free thread to gloat in and no one else wants to drop spoilers just to prove him wrong.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

OH gently caress I WAS RIGHT. ANNIE IS A MOTHERFUCKIN TITAN AND SHE'S EVIL!!

Edit after episode 25AHAHA LET ME GUESS, EREN ABSORBS HER CRYSTALLIZATION POWER AND NOW HES EVEN STRONGER. OH YEAH THIS SHOW TOTALLY SUBVERTS ANIME STEREOTYPES YALL

First "prediction" isn't impressive at all. Everyone saw that coming. Everyone.

Second one....uhm. No? (Edit: y'know...gently caress it. You're not worth a probation.)

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 10, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even Armin worked it out 5 minutes in. And that realisation informed every one of his strategies from then on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darth Windu posted:

I hope you can understand why I'd be a bit frustrated.

Here's a thing: If watching animation makes you frustrated, it's a good idea to stop entirely.

Seriously though, what is the point of posting like an aggressive worthog in a China store?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Fair enough. If someone had said that, I'd have posted with less incredulity. But being as I was told the best part of the series was its unpredictability and rejection of anime tropes, I hope you can understand why I'd be a bit frustrated.

No, I don't, because you simply assumed that no one else in the thread was competent enough come up with those predictions so you thought you were cool because you were able to figure all of that out (and making some of that poo poo up), and then you backtracked by saying that any one with average intelligence should have gotten that.

Did you see Eren getting eaten 5 episodes in coming? Did you see him turning into a titan coming? Did you see the female titan coming? Just because you were able to figure out the simplest part of the mystery doesn't mean you've predicted the whole goddam show.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

No, I don't, because you simply assumed that no one else in the thread was competent enough come up with those predictions so you thought you were cool because you were able to figure all of that out (and making some of that poo poo up), and then you backtracked by saying that any one with average intelligence should have gotten that.

Did you see Eren getting eaten 5 episodes in coming? Did you see him turning into a titan coming? Did you see the female titan coming? Just because you were able to figure out the simplest part of the mystery doesn't mean you've predicted the whole goddam show.

:psyduck: He didn't even figure that much out though.

Most of what I read of his "predictions" weren't ever proven true. At all....

\/\/\/\/ good idea...

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 10, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think he's trying to provoke people to spoil the plot in order to refute him. Just stop talking about him.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hey, wasn't there supposed to be a new OVA soonish? Do we know anything about that?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Go RV! posted:

Hey, wasn't there supposed to be a new OVA soonish? Do we know anything about that?

Someone's uploaded the very first scene and opening, and it's quite a riot. Oh Jean. :iamafag: Don't know about any subs yet.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Terper posted:

Someone's uploaded the very first scene and opening, and it's quite a riot. Oh Jean. :iamafag: Don't know about any subs yet.

If this is just an animation of all the Fake Previews from the manga, I will be extremely happy.

Especially if they include Armin and Stairs.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

The best opening.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Squidster posted:

If this is just an animation of all the Fake Previews from the manga, I will be extremely happy.
OVA about the 4koma spinoff, daily life in the Training Corps

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Squidster posted:

I don't want to spoil anything

But I think you're gonna be quite happy, yes. :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

The best opening.

I laughed when Jean pulled a fistpump at the point where Eren killed a titan.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The anime is going to air on Toonami starting May 3rd

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014...tm_nooverride=1

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man that's sooner than I was expecting, radical.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Wow! Good for them.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
1. Was buying a pinata in downtown LA and there was, in that vast sea of unlicensed children's entertainment paper-mache, a pair of Mikasa and Armin pinatas.

2. Just realized that the titans are incredibly reminiscent of hungry ghosts.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

snucks posted:

1. Was buying a pinata in downtown LA and there was, in that vast sea of unlicensed children's entertainment paper-mache, a pair of Mikasa and Armin pinatas.
Please tell us you took pics.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

There is a new OAV that came out recently right? Is it subbed yet?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Xavier434 posted:

There is a new OAV that came out recently right? Is it subbed yet?

It should be out there in the :filez:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You can watch it at over at http://www.watchaot.net/2014/04/attack-on-titan-ova-episode-2.html . Crunchyroll won't touch it, and it won't be available stateside for years. Be warned that it's a non-canon anime-only thing, not a gamechanger like Ilse's Journal.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Try http://www.phianime.tv/shingeki-no-kyojin-ova-episode-2/

Squidster fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 17, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Squidster posted:

You can watch it at over at http://www.watchaot.net/2014/04/attack-on-titan-ova-episode-2.html . Crunchyroll won't touch it, and it won't be available stateside for years. Be warned that it's a non-canon anime-only thing, not a gamechanger like Ilse's Journal.

Video not found :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That owned. I don't care how silly and entirely unnecessary it was, it was amazing.

• Locked thread