Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Proteus4994 posted:

i didn't think we'd go below $300 until tax day/china bank shutdown day, but here we are 5 days early

all of it is basically an early christmas present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Robawesome posted:

Stay strong my friends, tonight we hold! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 19 minutes ago* by cyberaleck

Tonight we are under attack. Bad forces are trying to erase even the memory of Bitcoin from the histories. They think that the world will never know Bitcoin existed at all.

But they are wrong. The world will know that tonight free men stood against a tyrants, that few stood against many, and when this battle was over, freedom had won.

imagine people posting like this if bank of america stock or something fell in the market. like the president got on the tv and went "americans, bad forces are trying to push down the stock market. please hold or the world will never know the stock market existed at all. also something about tyrants and the stockmarket and freedom. buy BoA."

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

theflyingorc posted:

ok, no question somebody is trying to prop up bitstamp

it's a lot less effective than when gox used to do it

like, the price is at 360, why would you buy 50 coins at 365?

its embarrassing seeing poo poo like this get posted honestly, it demonstrates that you don't know how to interpret the tracker.

an exchange maintains a list of buy and sell orders and allows users to create new buy and sell orders (along with other, more advanced things), but you have to buy bitcoins from someone and conversely you need to sell to someone. when a decent number of coins get moved, it will clear out a decent number of orders, in this case it clears out a decent number of sell orders, this leaves a margin between the books. now if someone sells 2500 bitcoins and drops the price from 350 to 330 and right after some dumb schmuck wants to buy himself a new bitcoin? the lowest buy order will be >350, and this idiot will need pay that if he wants his bitcoin right now. alternatively he could wait until new buy orders are posted in the margin and get it cheaper.

the number you're looking at is just the price paid in the most recent trade (actually, it's the price you would have to pay to buy MORE bitcoins after the most recent trade completed) and the behavior youre describing is just buttcoiners being stupid

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
bitcoin exchanges are a lot like managing eve online buy/sell spreadsheets.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

here's hoping butts are < $250ish by the 15th

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

imagine people posting like this if bank of america stock or something fell in the market. like the president got on the tv and went "americans, bad forces are trying to push down the stock market. please hold or the world will never know the stock market existed at all. also something about tyrants and the stockmarket and freedom. buy BoA."

to be fair if the stock market really started heading south commercials about BELIEVE IN AMERICA INVEST IN ITS BANKS would not shock me at all

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

transfatphobic posted:

to be fair if the stock market really started heading south commercials about BELIEVE IN AMERICA INVEST IN ITS BANKS would not shock me at all

buy war bonds

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

double sulk posted:

here's hoping butts are < $250ish by the 15th

gotta optimize reporting capital losses

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

btc-e :airquote:down:airquote: ?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

quote:

Let me offer a different perspective. Putting money into bitcoin for some people isn´t only an investment decision. It is also an act of liberation and idealism/protest. Every single fiat you throw away in exchange for a bitcoin is a small punch on tyranny´s face. It is one of the most efficient things one can do to change the world for better.

We are talking about the ultimate open source global value ledger, not suitable for confiscation, very difficult to tax and easy to transfer worldwide. We should praise and admire those who go full BTC. I wish I had the guts, it would make my life more meaningful as someone under 40 with no kids.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

stoutfish posted:

gotta optimize reporting capital losses

hahaha you think the vast majority are going to report this on their taxes

its going to be an "act of protest"

and its going to be awesome

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Chum Scandal posted:

btc-e :airquote:down:airquote: ?

oh god the happening i can't take it

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

active directory is just like dns, there is a canonical record of everything held by the global catalog(s)

active directory would be like bitcoin if every workstation said "workstation1 says that its workstation1 in domain1." followed by "i confirm that he said that workstation1 is workstation1 in domain!" ad nauseam for ever computer in your organization.... so like if netbeui was the only thing you had

i used AD rather than DNS for a reason. DNS is master-slave. one centralized place that is the arbiter of what is accurate. AD is multi-master. all nodes can write to the "ledger", but they all eventually have to agree.

goddamn look at all this care.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dns is multimaster

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

dns is multimaster

in AD if you set it up like that, not out on the interwebs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lookit Warren loving Buffet here handing out the protips for free

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GPF posted:

in AD if you set it up like that, not out on the interwebs.

which root server is the master then?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

8.8.8.8 duh

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

lookit Warren loving Buffet here handing out the protips for free

im the deleted post

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Robawesome posted:

im the deleted post

if only

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22qugw/please_sticky_usa_suicide_hotline_1800273talk/

guys please upvote if we save even one life it'll have been worth it

edit: they loving deleted it already laffo

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

buy war bonds

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Robawesome posted:

im the deleted post

hell, it could end up being one of the best pieces of advice int the dude's whole life

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

ugh rolleyes lern 2 dns pshaw

gimme five

up high

down low

too slow

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just got a call from Bank of America (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 8 hours ago by bubbasparse

I immediately thought uh oh, too many bitcoin transactions must have flagged my account. Turns out, my credit card info was stolen and a restaurant in Mongolia and an electronics store tried to use my card info. I've never been to Mongolia. I must commend Bank of America for the fraud detection department but this is why we need bitcoin. God drat Mongolians.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

I must commend Bank of America for the fraud detection department but this is why we need bitcoin.
:lron: but with bitcoin baht

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

Just got a call from Bank of America (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 8 hours ago by bubbasparse

I immediately thought uh oh, too many bitcoin transactions must have flagged my account. Turns out, my credit card info was stolen and a restaurant in Mongolia and an electronics store tried to use my card info. I've never been to Mongolia. I must commend Bank of America for the fraud detection department but this is why we need bitcoin. God drat Mongolians.

"Somebody tried to steal money from me, but the robust anti-fraud measures put in place by the banking system stopped the fraud and prevented any personal financial loss. This is why we need bitcoin!"

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

...! posted:

I must commend Bank of America for the fraud detection department but this is why we need bitcoin. God drat Mongolians.

ya, too bad he didn't have Bitcoin so he could be utterly hosed with no options at all.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Sheeiiiiiittt

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
to be fair, the Mongolians probably would have had a hard time buying anything if they stole his bitcoins

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

A 5-worthy post on page 555?

Isn't that a bit too convenient?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

5 on 555

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

with dj honked

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Disabled Hitler posted:

an exchange maintains a list of buy and sell orders and allows users to create new buy and sell orders (along with other, more advanced things), but you have to buy bitcoins from someone and conversely you need to sell to someone. when a decent number of coins get moved, it will clear out a decent number of orders, in this case it clears out a decent number of sell orders, this leaves a margin between the books. now if someone sells 2500 bitcoins and drops the price from 350 to 330 and right after some dumb schmuck wants to buy himself a new bitcoin? the lowest buy order will be >350, and this idiot will need pay that if he wants his bitcoin right now. alternatively he could wait until new buy orders are posted in the margin and get it cheaper.

uhhh....that's the guy I'm calling an idiot, so I'm not sure why you thought lecturing me was necessary?

edit: Also if I want to buy, i thought the exchange would let me buy at the lowest possible sell price, why would it be the lowest possible buy price?

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread