Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I've always struggled with math. I even took basic algebra in college to move up. The professor showed us the same tricks that are now in common core and I loving wished I was taught that stuff in grade school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

seiferguy posted:

Here's a new one

It's very likely a legal requirement, and it's probably also a legal requirement that notice be given of the policy. Bear in mind that the substances in question are likely to effect fetal development. It's not specifically targeting poor folks or anything, it's a child protective policy. I actually don't see much objectionable about it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

It's very likely a legal requirement, and it's probably also a legal requirement that notice be given of the policy.

No?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's very likely a legal requirement, and it's probably also a legal requirement that notice be given of the policy. Bear in mind that the substances in question are likely to effect fetal development. It's not specifically targeting poor folks or anything, it's a child protective policy. I actually don't see much objectionable about it.

On the contrary. Two separate court cases (Ferguson v. City of Charleston and Whitner v. State) have determined that drug tests represent an unreasonable search if the mother has not consented. However, it seems that a private clinic can say in their contract, "You hereby agree to the drug test(s) or you can't be a patient here." (My Google search brought up at least one clinic with this policy.)

The reason this is a poo poo idea is that drug users are people, and people can be pretty stupid. They're more likely to forgo pre-natal care than submit to a battery of tests (not necessarily covered by insurance) or risk losing their child. It's more likely to lead to poorer outcomes than the policy would prevent.

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 11, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Discendo Vox posted:

So, the part where this is likely to be a deterrent to the mother and fetus receiving proper prenatal care is not objectionable to you? The developing babies who need care the most will be least likely to receive it, creating an even more tragic situation, to little or no benefit. If you think this will deter substance abuse, you lack a basic understanding of addiction. If you think expectant parents will just say, "gently caress it, it's only our child," you lack a basic understanding of human beings.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm saying that the legal requirement and the legal requirement of disclosure are likely two separate things. Or one might be self-imposed, and the other might be a mandate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Or it could be bullshit some moron typed out and took a picture of?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Nyarai posted:

On the contrary. Two separate court cases (Ferguson v. City of Charleston and Whitner v. State) have determined that drug tests represent an unreasonable search if the mother has not consented. However, it seems that a private clinic can say in their contract, "You hereby agree to random drug tests or you can't be a patient here." (My Google search brought up several clinics with a drug test policy of some kind.)

The reason this is a poo poo idea is that drug users are people, and people can be pretty stupid. They're more likely to forgo pre-natal care than submit to a battery of tests (not necessarily covered by insurance) or risk losing their child. It's more likely to lead to poorer outcomes than the policy would prevent.

Having witnessed a pregnant woman in the ER inject ethanol straight into her veins while doctors and nurses look on in dismayed impotence and knowing the problems that child will face throughout its life I do feel we should probably do more than just go "Well... tough poo poo kid." Pre-natal care seems meaningless if you know the child is being constantly poisoned thoughout the pregnancy. This is something that would land you in prison for child endangerment if it was a child and they'd certainly remove it from your care - but if it's in the womb just do whatever. I don't know what other setup you could use but the current one... is disturbing. Maybe you handle it differently in the US though.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yeah I think anyone taking that paper seriously is ignoring the fact that it's taped to a paneled door, which I've never seen in any hospital I've been in but which I have seen as the front door of plenty of houses across America.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I struggled insanely with basic math and actually think I would have benefited from the new standards. Now I do basic math for a living and I had to make up my own ways to learn.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anosmoman posted:

Having witnessed a pregnant woman in the ER inject ethanol straight into her veins...

Hate to say it but I wanna hear this story. How'd she get the syringe?

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Anosmoman posted:

Pre-natal care seems meaningless if you know the child is being constantly poisoned thoughout the pregnancy.

Except, it's not. Whatever the danger to the baby, that danger is worse without proper medical care. You wouldn't say, "Well, with AIDS ravaging your body, medical treatment seems meaningless," because a lack of proper care makes the situation worse, even if it's bad to start with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't see the issue in informing social services if you fail a piss test. Unless cps started a new program of ripping half done babies out of women who fail or something, that poo poo should probably be on the radar.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Notice that the policy is to inform ss and cps at delivery, not at detection.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Anosmoman posted:

Having witnessed a pregnant woman in the ER inject ethanol straight into her veins while doctors and nurses look on in dismayed impotence and knowing the problems that child will face throughout its life I do feel we should probably do more than just go "Well... tough poo poo kid." Pre-natal care seems meaningless if you know the child is being constantly poisoned thoughout the pregnancy. This is something that would land you in prison for child endangerment if it was a child and they'd certainly remove it from your care - but if it's in the womb just do whatever. I don't know what other setup you could use but the current one... is disturbing. Maybe you handle it differently in the US though.

Do you support abortion? If you murdered your child after it was born you would be brought up on charges. However, as a society, we have decided that women have control over their bodies, and that they have the power to end pregnancy. We have decided that there actually is a difference between a fetus and a baby. This is shocking to hear I know, but giving women control over their bodies has the really annoying side effect of... giving women control over their bodies. Your same logic here could be used to justify all sorts of anti-abortion policies that hurt women.

Drug use during pregnancy sucks poo poo, shouldn't happen, and as a society we should be trying to support those women through their disease. However, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves or lose perspective. Until very recently, drinking and smoking during pregnancy were considered pretty normal. There were lots of birth defects, and we eventually realized it was a bad idea to overdo that stuff. However, society continued.

I also call bullshit on your anecdote. A pregnant woman injecting ethanol in public would probably qualify as behavior worthy of getting a 51-50. That poo poo didn't happen the way you say it did if it even happened to you at all. Also, as far as discussion goes, unless you can demonstrate a public epidemic of women injecting ethanol in the emergency room using actual data then it's meaningless as far as this discussion is concerned.

It's amazing to see a D&D where people usually spout womens reproductive rights arguments turn into a place where people fall all over each other trying to claw those away the instant it involves a "moral failing" that might befall a poor person.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 11, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Abortion isn't that comparable though. A fetus doesn't have any rights, and if you abort it, there will never be a baby that does have rights. The conservative logic that you somehow violate its rights by causing it to not exist is very theoretical because you could apply that logic to so many other things and create an absolute nightmare of liability.

But, if you poison a fetus with alcohol the baby will eventually be born, and will have to suffer negative effects. I would say that the right of a baby to grow up without fetal alcohol syndrome outweighs the right of the mother to drink. If she wants, she can get an abortion and then drink as much as she feels like.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

It's not the author's intention but holy poo poo his bragging about his degree is hilarious because that is a pretty trivial thing to figure out. I'm sure he did really well when trying to integrate functions in his "higher math" classes. haha like whoever wrote that actually has that degree

The explicit bragging about a bachelor's degree is also kind of funny.

Phone posted:

Anyone who has taken high level math courses can verify that doing calculus and differential equations all day will ruin your arithmetic. Fourier transforms? I can do them all day. Double and triple integrals? Child's play.

47 + 117? Oh man... lemme grab my calculator.

I have to do a lot of quick calculations like this, and although I don't do well trying to interpret the graphical representations of the Common Core math stuff, the fact is that when I think about how I do things like this mentally, it's basically a common core thing.

47 + 117?

Okay, so that's 7 + 7 = 14, add that to 40 + 10, and that's 64. Then add 100.

Anyone who has to do this stuff in their heads on a regular basis comes up with these kinds of shortcuts, so even though the Common Core stuff looks kind of stupid when it's all sketched out on paper, most folks do something very similar regularly. This bitching about it is just people not taking two seconds to figure out how the shortcuts work.

Walter fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 11, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For content:

I hate that Laffer Curve, lowered taxation BS is spreading

Walter posted:

I have to do a lot of quick calculations like this, and although I don't do well trying to interpret the graphical representations of the Common Core math stuff, the fact is that when I think about how I do things like this mentally, it's basically a common core thing.

47 + 117?

Anyone who has to do this stuff in their heads on a regular basis comes up with these kinds of shortcuts, so even though the Common Core stuff looks kind of stupid when it's all sketched out on paper, most folks do something very similar regularly. This bitching about it is just people not taking two seconds to figure out how the shortcuts work.

Seriously, I'd like to see all those responders to Common Core try to come up with solutions to math problems without using a calculator or a pen and paper.

47 + 117

I know 7 and 3 make 10, so I turn it into 50 + 114, then it's a cinch to add 0 and 4 to get 54 + 110, then you add the 10 to get 64 + 100, then it's 164

I was never taught that kind of thing, had to come up with it all by myself, and was made to feel like I was some kind of weirdo for thinking about numbers in such a way. It's great that kids are being taught such alternative means of parsing problems, and it sucks that it's getting so much resistance.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 11, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

gradenko_2000 posted:

For content:

I hate that Laffer Curve, lowered taxation BS is spreading

Wait, Philippines is second? But on that exact graph, it's third? Is this more Obama is the fifth best president bullshit? Also, I love that the source is his office. That's really trustworthy.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm a big fan of the colors and the re-annexation of East Timor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peak debt posted:

But, if you poison a fetus with alcohol the baby will eventually be born, and will have to suffer negative effects. I would say that the right of a baby to grow up without fetal alcohol syndrome outweighs the right of the mother to drink. If she wants, she can get an abortion and then drink as much as she feels like.
There are plenty of cases where it would be more hazardous for the mother to stop using than to continue. Major opiate withdrawal is seldom fatal in an adult, but for a fetus it's serious enough that it can lead to better outcomes for the child to be born dependent and then undergo planned withdrawal under medical supervision than for the mother to suddenly stop using. In these cases an opiate maintenance system under medical supervision for the duration of the pregnancy might be preferable.
With alcohol, withdrawal can easily be fatal to both the mother and fetus, and needs to be managed through a carefully planned program of tapering. Benzodiazepines are usually used during adult alcohol withdrawal, but can cause risks to the child if used during the late third trimester, so a withdrawal period has to be carefully planned.

Simply saying "if you test positive we will try to catch you out again and then take your child" ignores all of this, and creates a scenario where the mother might either avoid medical care or stop using suddenly without medical supervision or a taper period, both of which can lead to worse outcomes.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

Pfirti86 posted:

You haven't? Why, some of America's finest institutions offer one! It's a subfield of electrical engineering.

From last page, but while most schools do call it Electrical Engineering, you spend maybe 2 semesters on Electrical stuff before moving on to Electronics for the rest of the degree. People just still call it Electrical mostly as a relic of when electronics didn't exist, so everything was resistors, inductors, etc. It's strange, but it would be way more accurate to call an EE degree Electronics Engineering.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

Yeah I think anyone taking that paper seriously is ignoring the fact that it's taped to a paneled door, which I've never seen in any hospital I've been in but which I have seen as the front door of plenty of houses across America.

This is actually very common in clinics and medical services complexes. This might not be taped to the front door of the clinic but it's probably on the door between the waiting room and the main office, or on the door to the bathroom. I'm a medical device rep so I see these flimsy doors everywhere, it's very likely real from my experience. Offices may not be legally required to post a notice about urine tox screening but it makes their life easier if they can just say "we posted a sign about it, if you're refusing the test then you'll be discharged as a patient".

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I normally wouldn't jump the gun on a week in LL101, but this one image is the best.

RIP Irony April 2014, you will be missed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Irony has been dead for a very long time, it can hardly be said to have existed at all.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Finally, something to contribute!

The comment by the poster was "gun control logic".
I'll spare you the comments that resulted, but it's pretty clear they didn't understand their own metaphor.

This mutated, and was shared by a friend of mine via :tinfoil: Victoria Jackson :tinfoil:

I like the top comment on it though:

quote:

I'm also not expecting a medical emergency but I'm required by law to have health insurance

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Walter posted:

The explicit bragging about a bachelor's degree is also kind of funny.

47 + 117?

Yeah, I do math in a similar fashion, but when going through school it always took a few seconds to actually figure an algorithm to do arithmetic.

I'm really jealous of machinists and other tradesmen who can do measurements and do the math on the fly. My job isn't that math focused, so my on the fly number crunching is awful. Oddly enough, I'm way better at multiplication and I can do powers of 2 all day long.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

borkencode posted:

This mutated, and was shared by a friend of mine via :tinfoil: Victoria Jackson :tinfoil:

Because I personally carry a fire extinguisher around with me everywhere. I also have to keep it concealed or else those drat uppity fires will know I'm coming for them.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

borkencode posted:

quote:

I'm also not expecting a medical emergency but I'm required by law to have health insurance

Yes, and when you exit your house, you leave the fire extinguisher hanging on the wall where it belongs. When you're out in public, you leave the firefighting to the professionals we pay to handle it.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
BREAKING NEWS: 11 dead in fire extinguisher attack at mall #thingsthatdonthappen

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

Yes, and when you exit your house, you leave the fire extinguisher hanging on the wall where it belongs. When you're out in public, you leave the firefighting to the professionals we pay to handle it.

If guns are like fire extinguishers I sort of want to ask why we don't have loaded automatic weapons in public libraries and movie theatres in breakable glass cases.

INSTRUCTIONS
Hold upright, pull ring pin.
Start back 10 feet, aim at center of mass.
Squeeze trigger, sweep side to side.

The police can stop by every few months to certify all the guns at a location are in proper working order with a tag detailing the last maintenance test. Imagine how much safer we'd be if citizens could rapidly respond this way even if they forgot their gun at home. :eng101:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pfirti86 posted:

You haven't? Why, some of America's finest institutions offer one! It's a subfield of electrical engineering.

I'd either assume the person was lying or had some experience in civil service. Electronics Engineer is a civil service position--meaning you deal electronic devices versus electrical power systems, but you qualify for it with a standard Electrical Engineering degree.

BTW, I just had the guy I commute with complaining about that exact forward about Common Core. Didn't quite know what to say when I suggested we were trying to install mathematics versus arithmetic into kids. Engineering is the poster child for putting out well trained people in a very narrow field who think they know more than anyone else about anything, so of course it would be some MSEE bringing this poo poo up.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

BREAKING NEWS: 11 dead in fire extinguisher attack at mall #thingsthatdonthappen

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My response to the fire extinguisher metaphor was that they aren't primarily used as a defense against other fire extinguishers, and that keeping them around doesn't increase the risk of fires.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/news/crime/21601501-418/elgin-homeless-mans-killing-by-fire-extinguisher-an-accident-defense-says.html

Yes, a man being killed by a fire extinguisher thrown off a multi-story parking deck is exactly the same as a gun being used as designed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

quote:

This is the stupidest loving thing. Your body was made to deteriorate and pretty much the best possible outcome for you is that you'll age and get sick. If you never, ever get sick or injured in the meantime you will be a statistical anomaly.

I guess that line of thinking makes sense if your plan is to die in your 30s from a gunshot wound, like an AMERICAN.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

My god, you're right. We need to start enforcing stricter controls on fire extinguishers, to make sure that no fire extinguisher gets in the wrong ha--

...heeeeeey, I see what you're doing there!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CowHammer posted:

From last page, but while most schools do call it Electrical Engineering, you spend maybe 2 semesters on Electrical stuff before moving on to Electronics for the rest of the degree. People just still call it Electrical mostly as a relic of when electronics didn't exist, so everything was resistors, inductors, etc. It's strange, but it would be way more accurate to call an EE degree Electronics Engineering.

It's mostly the other way around, you'll get 2 or 3 semesters of electronics before branching out towards your final years. (Generally there are classes on Digital Logic, Analog Circuits, and Electronics). Electronics is basically the middle ground between the extremely microscopic level of electrical engineering (semiconductors and associated materials issues) and the macroscopic level (signal/system engineering, communications).

Also, analog electronics have basically existed ever since the advent of Electrical Engineering, perhaps you mean the widespread use of transistors and the advent of digital electronics?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

borkencode posted:

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/news/crime/21601501-418/elgin-homeless-mans-killing-by-fire-extinguisher-an-accident-defense-says.html

Yes, a man being killed by a fire extinguisher thrown off a multi-story parking deck is exactly the same as a gun being used as designed.

I was gonna say " I thought maybe he was just being clever" but then I saw the red title. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's mostly the other way around, you'll get 2 or 3 semesters of electronics before branching out towards your final years. (Generally there are classes on Digital Logic, Analog Circuits, and Electronics). Electronics is basically the middle ground between the extremely microscopic level of electrical engineering (semiconductors and associated materials issues) and the macroscopic level (signal/system engineering, communications).

Also, analog electronics have basically existed ever since the advent of Electrical Engineering, perhaps you mean the widespread use of transistors and the advent of digital electronics?

Electronics implies active elements, so R/L/C circuit stuff wouldn't cut it. The whole point really is the forward gives all the hallmarks of stdh.txt, including an oddly named degree-- I've worked with people who's job title was Electronics Engineer, but we all end up calling ourselves Electrical Engineers since that's what our degrees are in.